Author Topic: Transferring to another unit (RESERVE)  (Read 68806 times)

Offline Canuck10

• Rate Post
Re: Transferring to another unit (RESERVE)
« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2017, 12:58:22 »
Everyone, thanks for the detailed responses.

Yes, I have contacted a recruiter with the unit I wish to join. As I am not DP1 qualified, I believe my situation does not fall under "VOT" but "VOR" - Occupational Reassignment, not Transfer.

Unfortunately Lumber, I like the Army too much ;)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2017, 17:05:00 »
And that should, IIRC, also be discussed in the CFAO I mentioned...sorry, I was busy at work today and completely forgot to take a look at it;  it's been a few years and can't recall the different Annex's to it with any real clarity.
Do I love my job?  No.

But does it afford me the ability to go on lavish vacations and buy anything I want?  Also no.

Offline Canuck10

• Rate Post
« Reply #127 on: November 06, 2017, 08:59:40 »
No worries! I appreciate all the help. No word on the status of the memo I submitted yet but my CoC has been very helpful and supportive.

:remembrance:

Offline mrbmw

• Rate Post
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2018, 02:21:49 »
Hello everyone,

I want to transfer to another unit because i don't like my current unit. After almost four years, I still don't "fit" in. I don't get along with the guys and i don't like the regiment. I believe my career will be better off somewhere else. My question is: how do I write the memo? Can I say right off the bat that I don't like the regiment and that I don't feel i belong there? Will my CoC take my request seriously if I do this?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2018, 09:04:36 »
Can I say right off the bat that I don't like the regiment and that I don't feel i belong there?

This might sound more positive,

I believe my career will be better off somewhere else.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 10:36:49 by mariomike »

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2018, 10:56:12 »
You better do some research about the other unit first, including speaking to your peers. Are you changing from one Inf unit to another for example or do you need to change trade? If the new unit works a different evening you could say that fits into your personal schedule easier.

You will be asked to amplify your reasons why so be prepared with written notes for a personal interview by your current C of C, which can be utilized for your written request to transfer. You feel uncomfortable, so think of reasons why you feel that way. Be positive, don't run down the unit or the people.

Hopefully you have some PDR/PER's to indicate you are a good troop.  Don't forget the loosing CO and the gaining CO must agree.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #131 on: January 09, 2018, 19:05:11 »
Hello everyone,

I want to transfer to another unit because i don't like my current unit. After almost four years, I still don't "fit" in. I don't get along with the guys and i don't like the regiment. I believe my career will be better off somewhere else. My question is: how do I write the memo? Can I say right off the bat that I don't like the regiment and that I don't feel i belong there? Will my CoC take my request seriously if I do this?

Where is your unit?
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline knawktwice

• Rate Post
« Reply #132 on: June 21, 2018, 09:40:53 »
Would anyone in this thread be able to point me in the direction of where I would find a template to req an inter comd xfer? army to navres Thanks in advance

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #133 on: June 21, 2018, 10:06:09 »
Would anyone in this thread be able to point me in the direction of where I would find a template to req an inter comd xfer? army to navres

If you don't mind me asking, does this involve a Component Transfer ( CT )?

Element transfers are discussed here,

Element Transfer Memo 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=94747.0

Element Transfer
https://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,93130.0.html

element change 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=111922.0

Transferring to another unit (RESERVE)
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=1865.100
6 pages.

etc...

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:52:11 by mariomike »

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #134 on: June 21, 2018, 10:56:58 »
Would anyone in this thread be able to point me in the direction of where I would find a template to req an inter comd xfer? army to navres Thanks in advance

This guy.

I'll pm you with the deets when I get back to NY desk after lunch. If you pm me your dwan email we can make it all offish.
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #135 on: June 21, 2018, 14:27:49 »

This is how it's done in NAVRES.

First, depending on your unit, you'll need to draft a memo and/or request form up your chain of command requesting the transfer.

Second, your chain of command/day staff send emails back and fourth between the losing unit and the gaining unit, obtaining the two CO's concurrences for the transfer, and a position number for the new unit.

Third, unless you are an HRA/FSA or Musician, you'll need to VOT to a Navy trade, which means you'll need to have a BPSO interview. This is a separate process altogether.

Fourth, once both units agree to the transfer, and you have been deemed suitable by the BPSO for one of the Navy trades, you need to send an inter-command transfer request to NAVRESHQ's "Naval Reserve Military Career Administration" (NRMCA).

The format they use for an "out of NAVRES" transfer is below. Every bridgade/formation seems to have something different, but this is the meat and potatoes:

SUBJ: INTER-COMD TRANS OUT OF NAVRES REQUEST- **SN RK NAME INIT MOSID#**
1. REQ INTER-COMD TRANSFER OUT FOR **SN RK NAME INIT MOSID#**
A. FM: HMCS **UNIT**, UIC: **####**
B. TO: **UNIT**, UIC: **####** 
C. REQUESTED MOS: **NAME MOSID#**
D. REQ EFF DATE: **DD-MM-YYYY**
E. PT RESULTS: **PASS/EXEMPT: DD-MM-YYYY**
F. MED CAT: **XXXXXX DATED: DD-MM-YYYY**
G. PSO REPORT TO FOLLOW (IF MOS CHANGE)
H. CO CONCURS
I.  OTHER:
J. POC: **PO1 BLOGGINS, CHIEF CLERK (012) 345-6789**

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #136 on: June 21, 2018, 15:14:18 »
See also,

OP: knawktwice

I am currently on class B contract in the army I have a CT in for BOSN and Steward, while waiting for my CT(cause I assume itll take a hundred years) I am looking at transferring from army reserves to navy reserves except I have NO idea how to do that and its all army around here so nobody has a clue. Help?

Reply #100 to Reply #115 Inclusive.

And,

OP: knawktwice

req an inter comd xfer? army to navres

Reply #132 to Reply #135 Inclusive.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 16:30:45 by mariomike »

Offline Standish

• Rate Post
« Reply #137 on: November 14, 2018, 01:14:19 »
G'day! First off, I'm not sure if this belongs in this section, but here made more sense than the OT/CT Q&A forum.  So, I have a fairly straight forward question: How hard is it to transfer between reserve regiments? I'm in one location currently, for about another year and a half. Eventually I'm going to move to Toronto for university and I have a regiment in the area I intend on being in throughout university, abd the immediate years after. (Staying in the area).                       So what I'm trying to figure out, is if I should join my local regiment where I am now, then transfer when I move, or join the Toronto unit off the bat and just travel the first year...  Either way I want to start reserves before uni. to make the transition easier.  So is the transfer process smooth, or does it take a year like everything else? ;) Thanks!

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #138 on: November 14, 2018, 07:09:06 »
G'day! First off, I'm not sure if this belongs in this section, but here made more sense than the OT/CT Q&A forum.  So, I have a fairly straight forward question: How hard is it to transfer between reserve regiments? I'm in one location currently, for about another year and a half. Eventually I'm going to move to Toronto for university and I have a regiment in the area I intend on being in throughout university, abd the immediate years after. (Staying in the area).                       So what I'm trying to figure out, is if I should join my local regiment where I am now, then transfer when I move, or join the Toronto unit off the bat and just travel the first year...  Either way I want to start reserves before uni. to make the transition easier.  So is the transfer process smooth, or does it take a year like everything else? ;) Thanks!

If it was between two Naval Reserve units, I could do up the paperwork and have the transfer almost 100% staffed (meaning all required signatures obtained) in a day (1 week TOPS).

If you're transferring between two Army Reserve units of the same Brigade, I would give it a month.

If you're transferring between two Army Reserve units from different Brigades, but still in the same Division, I would give it a few months.

And if you're transferring between Army Reserve units from two different Divisions, I'd give it up to a year.

So, regardless, if you have 1.5 years left in your current location, I would recommend joining up right away, but almost immediately get your Chain of Command to talk to your Adjutant and get the ball rolling on your transfer to another unit.

The Army and Naval reserves can act a bit different, and the Army unit you join might not like the idea of putting all the time and effort of training someone (you) just to have you leave in 1 year, but in the Navy we look at the bigger picture, and recruiting and training someone, regardless of where they end up, is a wine for the Navy and a win for Canada, so we don't care (have you thought about joining the Naval Reserves, by the way?). That being said, if you join up, get trained, and THEN tell them you want to transfer, legally speaking they really don't have any legal way of denying your transfer.

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #139 on: November 14, 2018, 07:55:58 »
The Army and Naval reserves can act a bit different, ...

You, good Sir, just won the understatement of the year award.  :nod:

Offline Standish

• Rate Post
« Reply #140 on: November 14, 2018, 09:26:53 »
Awesome, thanks Lumber! Yeah I understand the first unit, (artillery) likely won't want to put too many rescources into me. Especially because I'd be transferring out of the trade, to armoured. Think they'd at least get me on a BMQ?

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #141 on: November 14, 2018, 10:14:41 »
Awesome, thanks Lumber! Yeah I understand the first unit, (artillery) likely won't want to put too many rescources into me. Especially because I'd be transferring out of the trade, to armoured. Think they'd at least get me on a BMQ?

Ouuu a trade change? That's a WHOLE different pickle. Once you are enrolled in the Artillery as an Artillery soldier (even unqualified), the process for transferring to a different unit AND different trade becomes much more complicated. Instead of a simple administrative transfer from one unit's strength to another, you have to go through a VOT process (voluntary occupational transfer). This involves more paperwork, interviews with a Personnel Selection Officer, and cover letters by your CO. This is all in addition to the process for transferring from one unit to another.

I think the best way for this to work is to get both units involved. The way I see it working best is for the Armoured unit to officially hire you, and then "attach post" you to the Artillery unit for the sake of initial admin, kitting out and basic training. This is 100% doable, and isn't actually that much paperwork, but it does require those involved to show a little bit of initiative, and it would require that the two units actually talk to and work with each other. Unfortunately, my experience with the Army reserves does not give me much confidence that this will be easy for them.

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Online FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2018, 10:30:07 »
Ouuu a trade change? That's a WHOLE different pickle. Once you are enrolled in the Artillery as an Artillery soldier (even unqualified), the process for transferring to a different unit AND different trade becomes much more complicated. Instead of a simple administrative transfer from one unit's strength to another, you have to go through a VOT process (voluntary occupational transfer). This involves more paperwork, interviews with a Personnel Selection Officer, and cover letters by your CO. This is all in addition to the process for transferring from one unit to another.

I think the best way for this to work is to get both units involved. The way I see it working best is for the Armoured unit to officially hire you, and then "attach post" you to the Artillery unit for the sake of initial admin, kitting out and basic training. This is 100% doable, and isn't actually that much paperwork, but it does require those involved to show a little bit of initiative, and it would require that the two units actually talk to and work with each other. Unfortunately, my experience with the Army reserves does not give me much confidence that this will be easy for them.

The army folks here can correct me if I'm wrong, but my view is that the Land Force is UBER Tribal!! Between regiments, between elements, between Brigades, between Divisions. I have no clue how they actually plan and carry out a joint ex. They do it all the time, but I think its done in spite of their organizations not because of them.
Just a Navy perspective and not saying that we are the be all and end all of organization.  :cheers:

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2018, 10:37:27 »
Just a Navy perspective and not saying that we are the be all and end all of organization.  :cheers:

You don't have to. Because I will. Because we are.   :D

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline Standish

• Rate Post
« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2018, 13:12:14 »
Ahh, had a feeling it couldn't be so simple, haha.  So in that case do you think it'd simply be easier to drive the 3 1/2 hours, and just join the armoured unit straight up, instead of running the risk of the two units not communicating? I've got family in the area, so I could certainly make it work.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2018, 13:27:38 »
Call the unit you want to join in Toronto, and explain the situation to them. They may have some recommendations on how to proceed. The "attach posting" thing seems easy, but with a 3.5 hour drive from your location to Toronto likely means the units are in different Brigades which could complicate paperwork. If your concern is being started in the CAF before you start University, you could inquire if a summer BMQ is a possibility (have no idea if they still run these), which would let you do BMQ in the summer and then you head down to Toronto in August for school having already completed BMQ with the unit you joined down there.

Your local unit is likely not going to want to fill up a recruit slot with someone who's definitely leaving in 18 months.