Poll

What was the process for you to go from the reserves to ROTP

Cleared out of unit, provided CF 1007 and was not sworn in again.
1 (16.7%)
Cleared out of unit, provided CF 1007 and was sworn in again.
2 (33.3%)
Told to release from the reserves and was sworn in again.
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: June 19, 2005, 13:47:37

Author Topic: CT -- Reserves into ROTP/RMC (merged)  (Read 123486 times)

Offline DarkInfantry232

• Rate Post
  • For the Queen and Country!
Component Transfer from PRes to ROTP Reg Force
« Reply #150 on: October 05, 2014, 22:44:20 »
Good day,
  It has been a while since I've posted on here. I am now a fully qualified infanteer reservist and am in first year university. I am looking forward in component transferring soon to the Reg force as an infantry officer through the ROTP program. I was a couple points off qualifying for officer one year ago when I wrote my CFAT for the PRes, so I hope to re write the CFAT and qualify as an officer. I hope to get some progress and update everyone on my progress. From what I understood, I must deal with my BOR whom will transfer my application to the CFRC. Anyone got tips/their 2 cents? Thanks!

Offline runormal

• Rate Post
Re: Component Transfer from PRes to ROTP Reg Force
« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2014, 07:28:44 »
I've done this.

What you need is to put in a component transfer on the dwan. It is a very simple form that is only 2 pages. You provide some tombstone data and then select the trade you wish to apply for. You must also select the officer entry plan as ROTP.

When I did it back in 2012 I never dealt with the Cfrc directly and just  kept in contact with my file manager at Dmil-c7. However Dmil-c7 is no longer in charge of cts the responsibility is now DCMPG-5 I believe all the rc does is book interviews/medicals If  required. Hopefully someone can confirm this.

One last point DCMPG 5 is understaffed due to budget cuts so until they start contacting you likely won't be able to communicate with them. If you try you will get a message sent back saying "due to budget cuts we can't give individual sit reps at this time ."

If you update something on your MPRR i.e fitness/transcripts I'd get your chief clerk to contact DCMPG 5 on your behalf to ensure they have that.

To start this either contact your COC or chief clerk.

Cheers and good luck.

Edit:changed a few words around
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 07:42:53 by runormal »

Offline DarkInfantry232

• Rate Post
  • For the Queen and Country!
Submitted CT from PRes to ROTP Inf Officer - Question
« Reply #152 on: November 08, 2014, 13:20:51 »
Good day everyone,
I have submitted my CT online at my BOR about 2 days ago, and received a confirmation email from Ottawa with my MPRR attached. I was asked to email a copy of my high school transcript. I am currently in first year university, and upon reviewing my MPRR that was attached to the email, under the education section it says I have only completed 2 years of high school. Would just sending my transcript be sufficient for them to know I've completed high school? Also is receiving the confirmation the next day a good sign or the process going fast? Thanks!

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
Re: Submitted CT from PRes to ROTP Inf Officer - Question
« Reply #153 on: November 08, 2014, 13:42:17 »
Send them what they asked, and then go to your BOR with your High School diploma in hand, your clerks can update that you are completed HS.

Offline Zsimaandru

• Banned
  • Rate Post
Re: CT ROTP, Army PRes to Air Force Kit Question
« Reply #154 on: November 17, 2014, 04:36:49 »
I have already understood to follow.

Offline crewman4l

• Rate Post
PRes NCM to Reg Officer
« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2014, 17:19:44 »
I created a new post after looking though all the treads and not finding any information pertaining to my questions. I apologize if I missed a similar post.

I joined the reserves 3 years ago to an armoured recce unit as an NCM. During this time I have been attending a civi university, and I am currently in second year. I have now applied to the ROTP - Undergraduate to become an armoured officer. If I do get accepted to this program what are the chances that they will keep me at the university I am attending now for my last two years? Also would I keep the Cpl pay that I am getting now, or would I be paid the same amout as a new OC? And last thing is would I have to complete BMOQ and BMOQ-L, if I have already completed BMQ, and BMQ-L?

I really appreciate all responses. Thank you     
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 17:24:34 by crewman4l »
Best job I ever had. - Fury

Offline jwtg

• Rate Post
Re: PRes NCM to Reg Officer
« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2014, 18:38:02 »
If I do get accepted to this program what are the chances that they will keep me at the university I am attending now for my last two years? Also would I keep the Cpl pay that I am getting now, or would I be paid the same amout as a new OC? And last thing is would I have to complete BMOQ and BMOQ-L, if I have already completed BMQ, and BMQ-L?
1) No idea how likely it is that you would get to stay at Civ U.  Many have tried and still ended up at RMC, but obviously there is a possibility.  If I were to guess, I would say that 2 years probably gives you a decent shot at staying there, but that's a guess.

2) I don't know if you would move laterally into the Reg Force Cpl pay bracket, but I do know that there is a way that they calculate your pay which includes your prior service.  Having been a Cpl, you will make a lot more money than OCdts off civi street.

3) A PLAR will be done which will assess your previous courses and their equivalencies in the officer stream.  You will probably have to complete at least part of BMOQ (BMQ does not cover the 'Leadership' aspect), and all of BMOQ-L.  I know several former Cpls who have gone this route, both completing a shortened (7 week, IIRC) BMOQ and all of BMOQ-L.

Offline Conz

• Rate Post
« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2014, 18:40:16 »
I after completing my second year of university, I was accepted into ROTP and remained at my civi institution. There were former Cpls and a MCpl on my BMOQ course that stayed at their pay grades. Because they had already completed BMQ, they came into my pl in mod 2 and only had to do 7 of the 14 weeks for the leadership component of the course.

Offline sidemount

• Rate Post
« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2014, 18:44:08 »
I went to university with a guy that CT'd from res ncm to ROTP

He was paid at his NCM rate.

As for BMOQ, unless you have PLQ completed......expect to have to do some of it
Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership. - Colin Powell

Offline PteAJL

• Rate Post
CT to ROTP - Reservist Questions
« Reply #159 on: February 04, 2015, 13:38:09 »
So I was wondering some things as I'm on class B contract and I've asked around my OR for information, and didn't get much due to the lack of staff.

I've already missed the deadline to apply for ROTP through the DWAN. I'm clear with that.

I applied to several civilian universities, and I will most likely attend university in September. I'm requesting an attach posting to another unit, and I was wondering, if I wanted to apply for ROTP for the next academic year, do I apply through my home unit or the unit I am attached to?

Second, I will be completely DP1 Veh Tech qualified by the end of this summer coming up should I go on course if it's running.
Does the unit you are attached to have the authority to promote a soldier from another unit?

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: CT to ROTP - Reservist Questions
« Reply #160 on: February 04, 2015, 13:54:29 »
I've already missed the deadline to apply for ROTP through the DWAN. I'm clear with that.

Obviously not.  You can still apply for ROTP, even beyond the deadline.  The only caveate which comes with applying late, is that they cannot guarantee that your processing will be completed in time for the first round of selections.

If you want to apply for ROTP, I'd suggest you do it now!
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline PteAJL

• Rate Post
Re: CT from Reserves to ROTP
« Reply #161 on: February 04, 2015, 14:01:10 »
I've tried to access the CT application through the DWAN from the link on the RMC website for three days in a row now.

The link is dead, or someone in Ottawa isn't doing their job right...

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: CT from Reserves to ROTP
« Reply #162 on: February 04, 2015, 14:38:22 »
I've tried to access the CT application through the DWAN from the link on the RMC website for three days in a row now.

The link is dead, or someone in Ottawa isn't doing their job right...

Yup, that is a bad link on their website.  We shall try and have them update it.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline Eric17

• Rate Post
Questions about joining the Reserve force and RMC
« Reply #163 on: June 04, 2015, 04:06:54 »
Hi Everyone, I am currently in grade 9, entering grade 10, I want to join the Naval Reserve force next year (2016), and when I graduate high school (2018) I want to go to RMC (Royal Military College of Canada). I have few questions that I want to ask.

1. How will the reserve benefit me?

2. Do reserves get deployed to another base?

3. I am currently 14, birthday is on July 19 (2015). However, my age will still be 15 in grade 10 until July 19 (2016) Can I apply for reserve even if I didn't fully turn 16

4. I have bad vision, right eye -3.75 left eye -4.75 will it lower my chance of joining?

5. I want to improve my leadership skill to get in RMC. Will the reserve benefit me? I do have some leadership skill because I did won the student council election, which means I will be running as a grade 10 representative next year.

6. What are the grades requirement in order to apply for MARS officer (when I apply)

7. Do RMC look at grades from grade 9? or grade 10? (when I apply)

8. When I apply for RMC, how competitive is it going to be

This is all the questions that I want to know, can someone please answer my questions? Thank you so much for taking your time reading through my questions and answering them. ;)
Recruiting Centre: HMCS Discovery/New Westminister RC
Regular/ Reserve: Reserve
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Naval Combat Information Operator
Trade Choice 2: Boatswain
Trade Choice 3: Naval Communicator
Online Application: July 19th 2016
First Contact: July 21th 2016
FORCE test: July 28th, 2016 (Passed)
CFAT: September 22nd, 2016 (Passed)
Medical: October 21st, 2016 (Passed)
Interview: October 21st, 2016 (Passed)
Position offered: Boatswain
Swearing in: December 6th, 2016
BMQ: TBD

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: Questions about joining the Reserve force and RMC
« Reply #164 on: June 04, 2015, 09:36:39 »
Good morning, Eric, and welcome to Army .ca

If you take the time to look around this Site, and use the Search Function, you will find answers to your questions. You will also find answers to questions that have no even occurred to you yet.

We, both in the CF and on this Site, expect people to do their homework. Assistance will happily be provided if you need it, but doing your own digging will help you more than anything else that we can do right now.

You've got plenty of time...

Offline runormal

• Rate Post
« Reply #165 on: June 04, 2015, 12:34:19 »
I'll help as much as I can.

Background: I'm an army reservist who joined the reserves after getting declined from RMC. I reapplied once I was in the reserves, I got accepted and turned it down as I wasn't sure what I wanted at the time.

Onto your Questions

1. There is a direct correlation between how much you put in the reserves (time) and the benefits. Obviously the more you show up, the more money you will make. However the more you show up, the better you will be at your job, you will make more friends and quite frankly you will enjoy it a hell of a lot more if you show up more. You may also be recognized from your CoC for a good career course or a good tasking. You can also get an ILP (Individual Learning Plan) for up to $2k a yr to help assist with post-secondary funding assuming you do not get into RMC.  There are also dental benefits, claims, td, field pay. The list goes on and on. I’d recommend it to anyone, but caution that it is not for everyone.

For me the biggest things the reserves have given to me: A solid group of friends, leadership experience, a major empathise on attention to detail and some pretty cool experiences on the job. I’ve also become a better driver, learned some car parts and have become a better trouble shooter. It is also an extremely flexible job as a student, which doesn’t hurt.

Everyone’s experience will differ and you will get more out of the reserves if you actually put the time and effort in.

2. Not quite sure what you are asking. I know you can apply for tasking/CLS B at various bases in the Army Reserve. We also train at various bases on weekends. I’m not sure about the Navy.

3. Pretty sure you need to be 16 to apply, ask your CFRC because to be honest I don't know.

4. You will find this out when you apply. Only a Medical officer can make the call.

5. Depending on your trade, and how long you are in the reserves. Likely, no one can say for sure.  You should be able to extract some leadership experience regardless of what you do.

6. Technically you need an Undergrad degree, but since you are applying for ROTP they will look at your average HS grades. It is very competitive you can look at the threads in the RMC boards. If you had a bad year or semester, put effort into improving your marks. I was cut for academics.

7. I had to give a transcript and was told they took a straight average from 9-12. (Again I'm not a recruiter so I don't know for sure). But I was told my average for HS was mid-70s, but my last 6 grade 12 course were 87.5%. Such is life I guess.

8. It varies year to year. Think about it this way, you are looking at a full ride scholarship, and making some money on the side, as well as guaranteed job after graduation. Furthermore the 4 years at RMC is pensionable time… How bad do you want that? Now realize you are going to be competing against the best of best across Canada. Do whatever you can now in your power to be the best you can.

Food for thought:
Don’t worry too much about the people you are applying against. Worry about what you can to do improve yourself. Volunteer, Get involved in sports (Try to become a captain or assistant captain), get more involved with your school. Study hard. Also if you aren’t in shape get in shape now. Even if one part of your application is poor you may be able to make it up somewhere else. (Example: Marks are low but you have an amazing CFAT and Interview).

Offline Eric17

• Rate Post
« Reply #166 on: June 04, 2015, 21:25:54 »
Q 3. I am currently 14, birthday is on July 19 (2015). However, my age will still be 15 in grade 10 until July 19 (2016) Can I apply for reserve even if I didn't fully turn 16
A 3. Pretty sure you need to be 16 to apply, ask your CFRC because to be honest I don't know.

New: Do I have to turn fully 16 to apply? because my birthday is the summer (July 19) is it possible to apply during the middle of grade 10 somewhere between March/April, so I can get an early start? Or do I have to wait until my birthday and turn fully 16, then I may apply.

Q 4. I have bad vision, right eye -3.75 left eye -4.75 will it lower my chance of joining?
A 4. You will find this out when you apply. Only a Medical officer can make the call.

New: http://imgur.com/Tli5o1Y <--- Does this mean I don't have to do a vision test? It says its only necessary for aircrews.

Offline Eric17

• Rate Post
« Reply #167 on: June 04, 2015, 21:30:18 »
I'll help as much as I can.

Background: I'm an army reservist who joined the reserves after getting declined from RMC. I reapplied once I was in the reserves, I got accepted and turned it down as I wasn't sure what I wanted at the time.

Onto your Questions

1. There is a direct correlation between how much you put in the reserves (time) and the benefits. Obviously the more you show up, the more money you will make. However the more you show up, the better you will be at your job, you will make more friends and quite frankly you will enjoy it a hell of a lot more if you show up more. You may also be recognized from your CoC for a good career course or a good tasking. You can also get an ILP (Individual Learning Plan) for up to $2k a yr to help assist with post-secondary funding assuming you do not get into RMC.  There are also dental benefits, claims, td, field pay. The list goes on and on. I’d recommend it to anyone, but caution that it is not for everyone.

For me the biggest things the reserves have given to me: A solid group of friends, leadership experience, a major empathise on attention to detail and some pretty cool experiences on the job. I’ve also become a better driver, learned some car parts and have become a better trouble shooter. It is also an extremely flexible job as a student, which doesn’t hurt.

Everyone’s experience will differ and you will get more out of the reserves if you actually put the time and effort in.

2. Not quite sure what you are asking. I know you can apply for tasking/CLS B at various bases in the Army Reserve. We also train at various bases on weekends. I’m not sure about the Navy.

3. Pretty sure you need to be 16 to apply, ask your CFRC because to be honest I don't know.

4. You will find this out when you apply. Only a Medical officer can make the call.

5. Depending on your trade, and how long you are in the reserves. Likely, no one can say for sure.  You should be able to extract some leadership experience regardless of what you do.

6. Technically you need an Undergrad degree, but since you are applying for ROTP they will look at your average HS grades. It is very competitive you can look at the threads in the RMC boards. If you had a bad year or semester, put effort into improving your marks. I was cut for academics.

7. I had to give a transcript and was told they took a straight average from 9-12. (Again I'm not a recruiter so I don't know for sure). But I was told my average for HS was mid-70s, but my last 6 grade 12 course were 87.5%. Such is life I guess.

8. It varies year to year. Think about it this way, you are looking at a full ride scholarship, and making some money on the side, as well as guaranteed job after graduation. Furthermore the 4 years at RMC is pensionable time… How bad do you want that? Now realize you are going to be competing against the best of best across Canada. Do whatever you can now in your power to be the best you can.

Food for thought:
Don’t worry too much about the people you are applying against. Worry about what you can to do improve yourself. Volunteer, Get involved in sports (Try to become a captain or assistant captain), get more involved with your school. Study hard. Also if you aren’t in shape get in shape now. Even if one part of your application is poor you may be able to make it up somewhere else. (Example: Marks are low but you have an amazing CFAT and Interview).

Thank you so much for answering most of my questions, It did help a lot. :)

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #168 on: June 04, 2015, 21:47:46 »
Eric

Please see my earlier post.

Start reading older threads and using the Search Function before you ask more questions.

Offline runormal

• Rate Post
Eligibility for CLS A reservists?
« Reply #169 on: November 25, 2015, 17:12:04 »
I would like to confirm what I have found on the RMC website. Over the holidays I will be meeting up with a family friend`s younger son. From what I gather said individual is debating on joining the reserves or applying to ROTP or both. I want to ensure that I have the most up to date information.

https://www.rmcc-cmrc.ca/en/registrars-office/eligibility-criteria

I`ve noted that it says:

In order to pursue undergradudate studies at RMCC, you must meet certain eligibility criteria.

These are:
Be an applicant for the Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP); or,
Be a member or, be an honourably released member of the Regular or Reserve Forces, and have completed basic MOSID (Military Occupational Structure Identification Code) training.
CF members who have not completed their basic MOSID qualification may apply with the written recommendation of their Unit or Formation Commander; or
Be an employee of the Department of National Defence (DND), or other Federal government department, or
Be the spouse of a member of the CF.

I believe that this is referring to reservists who want to study at RMC on their own dime and not through the ROTP program. Is this assumption correct?

I then searched some more and found a dedicated section for ROTP for reservists

https://www.rmcc-cmrc.ca/en/registrars-office/regular-officer-training-plan-rotp-reservists

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP) - Reservists

If you are currently a member of the Reserves and would like to apply for the Regular Officer Training Plan you may do so by applying on-line for a Component Transfer (CT) and submitting the application to D MIL  C.

Once the application has been properly submitted, D MIL C will advise the member and the member's Reserve unit and will commence processing the application with the appropriate Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre.

Once the assessment has been completed the Recruiting Centre will in turn advise D MIL C of the candidate's eligibility and suitability for ROTP.

It is important for Reserve members to submit the application to D MIL C as soon as possible and to read the appropriate CF MIL PERS INSTR pertaining to CT

CF Military Personnel Instruction 03/08 (http://cmpapp.mil.ca/dgmc/pg/iss-si/ct-tee/ct-app-tee-eng.asp)

I have found one important piece of information in section 4.9:

4.9 Component Transfer Career Programs

All CT applicants selected for attendance to an RMC program and meeting the OFP status under this instruction shall be treated as if they were UTPNCM candidates. CT applicants who do not meet the OFP status shall be treated as if they were ROTP candidates

Which I understand as saying that if a member reaches OFP they will likely have vested rights to pay + a slightly more lucrative pay scale upon graduation.

OFP

Add-on point.  Check your occ specs for your trade OFP.  Not all are the same.  My current trade OFP is QL5. My previous trade was QL3.

I`m going to assume most army reserve trades are OFP is at QL3 or dp 1.0. However I do have a few friends in the SVC batallion (veh techs, weapon techs) who have said that they "will never get trained completely" because of the sheer amount of time it takes.

If anyone has anything else to add that'd be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
Re: Eligibility for CLS A reservists?
« Reply #170 on: November 25, 2015, 17:20:02 »
You may also want to investigate this.

University Program for Primary Reserve Members
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline runormal

• Rate Post
Re: Eligibility for CLS A reservists?
« Reply #171 on: December 05, 2015, 18:17:10 »
Thanks Haggis,

if anyone has anything else to add that'd be great.

Offline Tait

• Rate Post
CT-ROTP Dates
« Reply #172 on: February 15, 2016, 09:10:08 »
Please accept my apologies if this is answered elsewhere. I have looked.

I have a current application for CT-ROTP with ACSO as my trade aspiration. My interviews, medicals, university / RMC applications and aircrew selection were all successful but I haven't heard anything for a month. I did contact my CFRC but my MCC is on long term sick leave.

Does anyone know what happens next? Is there a timeframe for the next step (which I assume is an offer or otherwise)? I hope to start this summer.

Thanks!

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: CT-ROTP Dates
« Reply #173 on: February 15, 2016, 09:19:41 »
I haven't heard anything for a month. I did contact my CFRC but my MCC is on long term sick leave.

From Ask a CAF Recruiter,

if you would like to know the status of your application, it is recommended that you do the following:

•   Visit the link to our Forces site, ( http://www.forces.ca/en/page/contactus-73 ) and submit a status update request for your application.
•   If you know your application number, include it in the email.
•   If you do not know your application number, ensure you include your first name, last name, date of birth and the postal code of your home address. This will ensure that the recruiter who receives your email can locate your application and provide you with a status update.
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,118929.0.html

Is there a timeframe for the next step (which I assume is an offer or otherwise)?

TIMINGS - ESTIMATED TIMES FOR_______________ 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=81054.0
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:46:50 by mariomike »

Offline runormal

• Rate Post
Re: CT-ROTP Dates
« Reply #174 on: February 15, 2016, 11:20:38 »
You are in an interesting situation being a CT applicant.

The CFRC doesn't[1] know your status, they merely process paperwork and book medicals etc as directed by DMCPG-5. I know that this there RMC is doing the early acceptances but I'm not sure if that applies to CT. When I applied in 2011 we all heard  around may. You will need to get a hold of your CT file manager.

You should have his contact information from one of the initial emails after you submitted your CT.

Edit:1
FYI- typically they don`t give status updates but if you ask for a general range as when you should hear something they should be able to help you out.

Edit 2: [1]

I looked in my email and found something that will help. I was asking about the early acceptance.

''Thank you for your interest in the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF).

As you are a CT as with all other off the street applicants the CFRC will council you as to if you have qualified for the early offer.  Your CT Broker will be notified shortly as to your being selected for further processing.

It is generally only to the top 80% to 100% that will qualify for early offer.''

So it seems that you if qualified for an early acceptance the CFRC will know, but if you haven't you will have to shake the trees at DMCPG-5.

Hope it helps
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 11:35:12 by runormal »