Author Topic: Wrist Watch Recommendations - Merged Thread  (Read 239155 times)

Offline PrairieThunder

And that\'s why we can\'t have nice things.

• Banned
  • Rate Post
  • For Queen and Country
Re: Wrist Watch Recommendations - Merged Thread
« Reply #350 on: September 10, 2013, 17:07:45 »
One little tip about an analog watch face is that if you point the hour hand at the sun, south is halfway between the hand and 12 o'clock. It is a very rough expedient compass to help you get sorted out and yes, I know daylight saving throws it off a bit.

Just substitute 1 for 12 during DST

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #351 on: September 10, 2013, 17:20:09 »
"Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men." Daniel Dravot

Offline DarkInfantry232

• Rate Post
  • For the Queen and Country!
« Reply #352 on: September 20, 2013, 18:30:57 »
Seeing im going to start my parading soon with my unit, and BMQ in 3 months, I picked up a watch today that I thought is appropriate. It's olive drab green which is real cool!

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7995.

• When one person makes an accusation, check to be sure he himself is not the guilty one. Sometimes it is those whose case is weak who make the most clamour.
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #353 on: September 20, 2013, 18:46:31 »
Seeing im going to start my parading soon with my unit, and BMQ in 3 months, I picked up a watch today that I thought is appropriate. It's olive drab green which is real cool!

Yup, I'll bet that green GShock jerry can watch will do a fine job of lighting up your sentry position and sounding like the fourth of July at the most inopportune time possible. 8)

But you'll look max cool as the RSM stomps your sorry butt into the ground because of it ;)
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Try not to take things personally. What people say about you is a reflection of them, not you.

WHO IS JOHN GALT?

Offline BernDawg

• Wood Butcher
  • Rate Post
  • Retired... workin' harder than ever!
« Reply #354 on: September 24, 2013, 15:04:10 »

Yup, I'll bet that green GShock jerry can watch will do a fine job of lighting up your sentry position and sounding like the fourth of July at the most inopportune time possible. 8)

But you'll look max cool as the RSM stomps your sorry butt into the ground because of it ;)

So what our take away from this young Padawan?

Turn off the chime and don't use the back light unnecessarily. G-shock will serve you well.
"We can't all be heroes... because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."  Will Rogers
Someone has to be last.  At least if it's me I know where all the assholes are.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #355 on: September 24, 2013, 16:58:22 »
MWC watches are the beez neez. Issued to the UK military as the 'G1098 watch'. Had one for years... wish I still did

http://www.mwcwatches.com/
"Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men." Daniel Dravot

Offline Mister Donut

• Rate Post
« Reply #356 on: October 04, 2013, 17:20:42 »

Some sourpuss will soon tell you that you spent too much.
“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

Offline Sadukar09

Something like that.

• Rate Post
  • Oompa-Loompas
« Reply #357 on: October 04, 2013, 19:29:19 »
http://cadencewatch.com/?utm_source=Bargains+and+deals&utm_campaign=58356fddf9-cohort_5_2_1_sweepstakes6_19_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f8b7961563-58356fddf9-408689337&mc_cid=58356fddf9&mc_eid=588d97ec12

Cadence has some pretty decent watches.

Some coupon codes if you want them...

Thank you for entering our Watch Sweepstakes to win a Cadence watch. Check here to see results: cadencewatch.com/drawing-results.

At Cadence, everyone is a winner so we're giving you the chance to pick up any watch at cadencewatch.com for 70% off with code: WINNER

Or choose one of these select watches at discounts up to 83% off with the codes below!
reddit watch
*won't insult your grammar!
Normally $175.
w/Savings: $49.
Code: RED-49.

Divers Watches
high-spec 50ATM Watch
Normally $295.
w/Savings: $59.95
Code: DIVER-59
Hanko Watch
Minimalism
Normally $160.
w/Savings: $34
Code: DANISH-39
4:20 Chronic
"your best-looking watch"
Normally $375.
w/Savings: $75
Code: CHRONIC-75.
Digby Collection
Gatsby look, modern size
Normally $250
w/Savings: $49.95
Code: DIGBY-LAUNCH
Wrist Rocket Watch
shockingly big + sporty
Normally $80.
w/Savings: $19.
Code: WRIST-19.

Atheist Watch
There is no dog
Normally $175.
w/Savings: $29
Code: ATH-29

Danish Collection
Scandinavian style
Normally $185.
w/Savings: $39
Code: DANISH-39

Radian Watch
Because pi.
Normally $175.
w/Savings: $49.
Code: RAD-49.

MFA Watch
our advice: dress well
Normally $225.
w/Savings: $59.
Code: MFA-59.

4:20 Chronic CRYSTALS
(white dial /
IP-black bezel)
Normally $375.
w/Savings: $75
Code: CHRONIC-75
CMYK-RGB Watch
No conversion necessary.
Normally $175.
w/Savings: $39.
Code: CMYK-39.

MFA Casual
chill out, you look good.
Normally $195.
w/Savings: $43
Code: CASUAL-43
Josh Chadwick
award-winning design
Normally $175.
w/Savings: $15
Code: JOSH-49

4:20 Chronic Gold Chronograph
golden goodness
Normally $395.
w/Savings: $85
Code: CHRONIC-85.
Digby Chronographs
Classic and contempory
Normally $350
w/Savings: $69
Code: DIGBY-69

Radian Chronograph
3-dial, 3.14 style
Normally $345.
w/Savings: $63
Code: RAD-SAVINGS

Wrist Rocket Watch
this is big and orange
Normally $80.
w/Savings: $19.
Code: WRIST-19.

Radian Chrono White
3-dial, 3.14 style
Normally $345.
w/Savings: $63.
Code: RAD-SAVINGS

Wrist Rocket WT2
Two dial are better than one
Normally $80.
w/Savings: $15
Code: WRIST-15
EQL Watch
a powerful statement
Normally $175
w/Savings: $39
Code: EQL-39
"Bad decisions make good stories."
~Sgt. So and so

Offline 2ndChoiceName

• Rate Post
« Reply #358 on: October 12, 2013, 09:57:07 »
I'm looking to get a watch, but I have skinny little chicken wrists and I hate wearing watches because the faces are always too big and they slide around. What's a watch with a good small face? I've been looking at the marathon line of watches but that's mainly because of the LCF. I'd also prefer one like that because I can wear it when I'm wearing nice clothes as well, because, knowing me, once I take it off I never want to put it back on.

Offline NinerSix

is getting the itch to deploy.

• Has been
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Retired!
« Reply #359 on: October 12, 2013, 13:49:56 »
I'm looking to get a watch, but I have skinny little chicken wrists and I hate wearing watches because the faces are always too big and they slide around. What's a watch with a good small face? I've been looking at the marathon line of watches but that's mainly because of the LCF. I'd also prefer one like that because I can wear it when I'm wearing nice clothes as well, because, knowing me, once I take it off I never want to put it back on.

I'm an average sized guy sporting a CSR. If you don't want a big watch on your wrist I would, reluctantly, steer you away from the Divers and Pilots watches.
The process is not the mission.

Offline 2ndChoiceName

• Rate Post
« Reply #360 on: October 12, 2013, 16:06:53 »
Hmmm...looks like I might just have to get used to a big watch.

Offline ERR

• is PRAGMATIC
  • Rate Post
« Reply #361 on: October 14, 2013, 14:32:22 »
Got this 2 months and I love it.. Casio G-Shock GW9200-1 Riseman
I don't think you can go wrong with a G-Shock.
© 2013 ERR. All rights reserved

Offline 2ndChoiceName

• Rate Post
« Reply #362 on: October 14, 2013, 14:41:06 »
Thanks, I think I might go with the G shock 5600 line, its apparently their smallest one and at around $45 it's not a huge deal if I lose it/break it.

Offline Lean-N-Supreme

• Rate Post
« Reply #363 on: October 14, 2013, 22:13:36 »
If you're getting a G-Shock don't make the mistake I did of getting one with a negative display. It's such a hassle trying to tell the time in low light conditions sometimes.

Offline 2ndChoiceName

• Rate Post
« Reply #364 on: October 14, 2013, 22:33:13 »
Got it. Thanks.

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #365 on: February 12, 2014, 23:20:11 »
Never thought I would consider an expensive watch for work, but I have been looking lately for a watch with an alarm (for obvious reasons), and a digital compass for a quick reference to where North is when I get spun around and its not convenient/practical to be pulling out a compass all the time (I have found this to be the case during many attacks, etc). And admittedly, I find this happens a lot to me, I have the worst "sense" of direction (luckily this has taught me to religiously rely on my compass).

Most watches with these functions are above the $300 range, but after looking at the Tissot T-Touch line (which retails for more than $1000 in some instances), I have found a few on Ebay for 350 - 400 that are really tempting me. I generally wear a decent-looking, $100 watch in garrison, but a Timex Expedition in the field.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WORLD-RENOWNED-TISSOT-T-TOUCH-II-TITANIUM-330FT-MEN-WATCH-T047-420-44-207-00-/281262020422?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item417c85d746

Watch the watch in action at this link if interested, it's pretty awesome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYiqTHWx91E

This watch, although expensive, looks nice enough to wear anywhere, but definitely has everything to be used in the field.

DISCLAIMER: For the recruits out there looking for a watch for BMQ/BMOQ and the rest of their basic training... I would still recommend just going with a Timex Expedition or something similar.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 23:26:14 by ballz »
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Offline kev994

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #366 on: February 13, 2014, 07:08:42 »
T-touch, especially the original, had a lot of software issues, most notably when the battery dies the watch seems to crap out with it. Tissot was claiming those purchased at unauthorized dealers were doing it but I'm not sure. The best the company would do was offer a new t-touch 2 at half price. I elected to stay away.

Offline Baden Guy

Full Member.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #367 on: February 13, 2014, 09:33:57 »
Disclaimer I don't use ebay, but my worry would be that an expensive item such as this would be a "knockoff."
In the GTA the Pacific Mall sells mostly Oriental products and is raided by the cops on a regular bases for knockoff DVD and other stuff.
But really, best of luck if this works for you.

Offline Bluebulldog

• Every life gets a second act.
  • Rate Post
  • ignis aurum probat
« Reply #368 on: February 13, 2014, 09:41:39 »

Have the same watch. Works well, takes a beating. The solar feature was also a bonus.

Yes, only one piece of advice, disable the chime, and disable the function where it backlights automatically when the watch face is canted......otherwise, it will serve you well.
Age and treachery will always trump out youth and enthusiasm.

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #369 on: February 13, 2014, 17:30:02 »
T-touch, especially the original, had a lot of software issues, most notably when the battery dies the watch seems to crap out with it. Tissot was claiming those purchased at unauthorized dealers were doing it but I'm not sure. The best the company would do was offer a new t-touch 2 at half price. I elected to stay away.

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely look more into that before dropping that kind of cash on one.
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Offline kev994

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #370 on: February 13, 2014, 20:16:07 »
If you read the reviews on amazon there are a lot of complaints about the t-touch dieing when the battery died.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #371 on: February 13, 2014, 23:46:39 »
Luminox.

I had an old, beat up version of one of these watches (part of the outside casing broke for some unfathomable reason) kicking around in a drawer.

I ignored it until I decided to get it repaired and refurbished recently. For about 1/3 the price of a new one I got a virtually new watch back from Luminox. I wear it all the time now.

It is awesome. Love this watch.

http://www.luminox.com/

Offline LunchMeat

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #372 on: February 14, 2014, 02:22:15 »
Luminox.

I had an old, beat up version of one of these watches (part of the outside casing broke for some unfathomable reason) kicking around in a drawer.

I ignored it until I decided to get it repaired and refurbished recently. For about 1/3 the price of a new one I got a virtually new watch back from Luminox. I wear it all the time now.

It is awesome. Love this watch.

http://www.luminox.com/

Those are nice, too bad I'd have to sell a kidney for one.
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline NinerSix

is getting the itch to deploy.

• Has been
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Retired!
« Reply #373 on: February 14, 2014, 10:42:07 »
Those are nice, too bad I'd have to sell a kidney for one.

I used to think that it was crazy to pay ~$300 for a watch when I bought my 5.11 watch. Now my daily watch is a Marathon CASR...

Luminox starts for less than a PS4, some decent looking ones for $350 and the nice ones are $600-900.

So we are far from kidney selling here. Hell, most people would spend that on a phone that will last them ~3 years, while a good watch will last you a lifetime.
The process is not the mission.

Offline old fart

• Rate Post
« Reply #374 on: February 14, 2014, 12:09:43 »
If you read the reviews on amazon there are a lot of complaints about the t-touch dieing when the battery died.

I have used a T-Touch II Expert for the last 3 years..I still like it..and it has been trouble free...I replaced the battery a couple days ago.  Battery was  9 bucks...but I let a jeweler in Fredericton do it for 20.  There are a couple good how-to guides on the net....if you choose  not to send it to Tissot. 

I know four others that have one, and like me have had no issues.  I also use one of the cheaper Luminox family, the Sentry I think its called.

There are some good used deals around on the T-Touch, but I would not buy the first gen...only the the T-Touch II. As far as I know...there are no knock offs.....
"Soldiering on"