Author Topic: SAR Tech  (Read 527121 times)

Offline kj_gully

• Rate Post
Re: SAR Techs
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2005, 10:57:36 »
here's the thread I'm talking about.

Gully

Offline Manimal

• Rate Post
    • help others
Re: SAR Tech
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2005, 14:03:40 »
thanks found it
Qui me amat, amet et canem meum

Offline Zombie

• Rate Post
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2005, 15:29:04 »
Relax, and do your time, Zombie! Lol. There is a trial tba, with certain well qualified pers (ie paramedic) off the street will be invited to selection, and possibly 2 would be selected in addition to the remusters. Your chances are better if you join, and it is still just a concept. i wouldn't steer you wrong!

Gully

Haha, understood...going 043 all the way. Thanks for the reality check... :salute:

Offline dearryan

• "Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once".Shakespeare
  • Rate Post
  • "131" 1 day
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2005, 00:32:02 »
Hey there,

Yet another question regarding SAR.....How old is the average SAR tech????

RYAN

Offline kj_gully

• Rate Post
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2005, 22:21:22 »
Too old. on course the average age is 30ish, which probably makes the trade near 40. I hope we get some younger guys soon.

Offline dearryan

• "Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once".Shakespeare
  • Rate Post
  • "131" 1 day
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2005, 18:17:20 »

As soon as they let me in Im doing everything I can to get the invite to the qualifier.

131 1 day!!!!!

Ryan

Offline Eagle Eye View

• Rate Post
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2005, 00:03:17 »
Yeah but that won't happen until they change some basic rules. I applied for SAR tech this year, but because I won't get my corporal the same year as I applied, they told me: no try next year. I know now that in 2007 they're will be 2 spots for civilians. The course is going to be 14 instead of 12. Now reservist are allow to apply for the job, but once accepted, they move to reg force. I talked to the chief of CFSSAR Monday. This is how I found out.
cheers
Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.

John F. Kennedy

Offline Eagle Eye View

• Rate Post
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2005, 00:09:43 »
Just to clear this up. When I said "civilian", I met that they will join the CF as SAR tech. Basically they will go to basic training as usual, and then come to CFSSAR when accepted. Thats what I have been told.
cheers

John F. Kennedy

Offline dearryan

• Rate Post
  • "131" 1 day
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2005, 11:49:06 »
I am trying the regular way to apply....Moc qualified, corporals...2 lunar landings, etc. I might be a while but Ill get there.

Ryan

Offline dearryan

• Rate Post
  • "131" 1 day
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2005, 19:41:51 »

quick question:
Where do SAR techs (or ones in training) do their paramedic training. Is it through the JI in New West, or Chilliwack BC or somewhere else?

Thanks again

Ryan

Offline HFXCrow

• Rate Post
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2005, 20:15:47 »
Did anybody see the show Truth Duty Valour on the SAR selection. It was awesome!!!!

Those dudes were hardcore.....I felt like going for a run and eating a candle.

If this was discussed previous...plse disregard.

Crow
Enjoying the ride and doesn't want to get off

Offline dearryan

• Rate Post
  • "131" 1 day
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2005, 21:49:04 »
yeah Its pretty good. I ordered it from TDV, and as soon as I got it the episode was on TV. I coulda taped it. :-*

Ryan

Offline Zombie

• Rate Post
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2005, 22:46:35 »

quick question:
Where do SAR techs (or ones in training) do their paramedic training. Is it through the JI in New West, or Chilliwack BC or somewhere else?

Thanks again

Ryan

Not sure of the exact JIBC location, but this link may give you some good info...

http://www.jibc.bc.ca/paramedic/programs/spec_programs/sar.htm

Offline kj_gully

• Rate Post
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2005, 20:04:13 »
Sar techs are trained by the Justice Institute, but the instuctors come to the SAR school here in Comox BC.

Offline PPCLI WO

• Rate Post
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2005, 20:39:45 »
Did anybody see the show Truth Duty Valour on the SAR selection. It was awesome!!!!

Those dudes were hardcore.....I felt like going for a run and eating a candle.

If this was discussed previous...plse disregard.

Crow

I ate my candle.  It's amazing how good it tasted after three days of nothing but Labrador Tea.  Rabbits are apparently smarter than snare wire.  The best part was when the cameras disappeared.  Then you KNEW it was coming.  And if nothing else, it was a decent weight loss program.

Pre Selection Candidate #10 (The one with snot dripping from his nose while taking a bearing, thanks TDV)

Offline Cataract Kid

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2005, 20:48:54 »
Pre Selection Candidate #10 (The one with snot dripping from his nose while taking a bearing, thanks TDV)
lol, now Ive really gotta see that episode... ;D

Offline dearryan

• Rate Post
  • "131" 1 day
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2005, 21:40:57 »

I just went and fast forwarded that episode to try to figure out who you were (I think I need a hobby). Thats great!!

Ryan

Offline dearryan

• Rate Post
  • "131" 1 day
Re: SAR
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2005, 02:17:34 »
Scuttlebutt in the SAR shop is that the MOC will be opening to direct entry applicants.  This, IMHO, is a big mistake.

Why is this a big mistake? all it is is a invite to prelim....the candidate will have to hold their own.

Offline Eagle Eye View

• Rate Post
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2005, 13:38:44 »
I know that they extended the application deadline to the 31 of Nov. It used to be until the 14 of Oct. So if there is any of you guys that wants to try it...here is your chance. I've put a request to get a "waver" from Borden because I do not have 48 months of service right now. I'm still waiting for the answer. If they say no, well I'll have to wait until next year....like they say: patience is the secret for success.
cheers

John F. Kennedy

Offline dearryan

• Rate Post
  • "131" 1 day
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2005, 16:48:08 »
Was that deadline for the regular way of trying out...or the direct entry pilot method? I spoke to the Chief of the trade and he informed me that they are still working out the bugs/ what is a acceptable diploma PCP, EMR, astronaut...etc.

Ryan

Offline Eagle Eye View

• Rate Post
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2005, 00:13:26 »
Its the reg way. I know that there is a few bugs in the system, especially when it comes to BPSO...CFSSAR seems to have some technical problem of miscommunication with them.
Anyways, I only have to say for the people out there that this is the best time to go and apply for that awsome job.
cheers  :salute:

John F. Kennedy

Offline Eagle Eye View

• Rate Post
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2005, 13:53:33 »
I've received an e-mail from CFRG. They don't issue waiver based on ranks. So basically despite the fact there is a big lack of applicants for this year, I'll still have to wait next year to apply.
Oh well...more time to train and get better at it.   ;)

John F. Kennedy

Offline dearryan

• Rate Post
  • "131" 1 day
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2005, 15:49:42 »
Oh well...its only a year. Hopefully you will have a whole career still waiting. What kind of prep work (besides physical conditioning) are you doing? Are there any coarses that are un-related to your MOC that you can take through the military while you wait for your shot? Just curious. I am taking a couple here in civi land, but they will probably be all up for resertification come the time for my "shot".

Later

Ryan

Offline Eagle Eye View

• Rate Post
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2005, 16:21:33 »
Yeah basically I've been diving since 1999. This summer I took my "civie" para course (paid from my own pocket). I also been a climber since 3 years ago. I do lots of stuff like that basically to keep me current with the gear and the techniques. I also do lots of hiking and other stuff that I enjoy.
I suggest that you do the same. It will give you more points for your application once CFRG get it. Take first aid courses, my guest is that this one is the most important of all.
cheers

John F. Kennedy

Offline schwick

• Rate Post
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2005, 16:47:20 »
i have seen the pre requisits for the Sar tech program for a reg force occupational transfer
but what would the pre requisits be for   a reservist who wants to attend the prelim???
thanks alot
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 23:12:04 by schwick »