Author Topic: Am I too old to join/do well/fit in? (Merged thread)  (Read 215015 times)

Offline Lockeport FD

• Rate Post
Re: Am I too old to join/do well/fit in? (Merged thread)
« Reply #200 on: October 25, 2013, 23:02:58 »
This board was actually a good read.  I left a reserve group close to a quarter century ago and have kicked myself in the pants at least once a year ever since.  I'm 43 now but I know I could still give the young fellers a run for their money ;)  I live in a more rural area now - I might have to check and see what is available without too much of a commute.
All gave some, some gave all.

Offline Van Gogh

• Rate Post
« Reply #201 on: October 26, 2013, 10:11:58 »
Hello all,

My question to all you good folks is: am I insane?

Any thoughts or advice you can send my way will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Short answer, I think you are actually very sane !!!
More sane that a lot of people who actually work 9-5 and the only reason they do it is to support themselves with no other goal/motivation in their life. That would be pretty depressing for me If my life turned out that way.

P.S. Not bashing in any way hard working people, everyone who works deserves a lot of respect !!!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 10:14:56 by Van Gogh »

Offline Marchog

• Rate Post
« Reply #202 on: October 29, 2013, 22:53:05 »
More sane that a lot of people who actually work 9-5 and the only reason they do it is to support themselves with no other goal/motivation in their life. That would be pretty depressing for me If my life turned out that way.
Couldn't agree more.

Some people think I'm nuts for trying to join the army (even the PR) because I can't gain much from it. Because apparently personal gain is the only reason to do something.

Offline D-C

• Rate Post
« Reply #203 on: January 27, 2014, 23:08:10 »
Hello everyone,
I'm thinking of getting back in and I'm contemplating on whether I'm to old. If there is anyone out there that has just rejoined and is around my age let me know of your experiences.
Thanks,
D-C
 :cdn:
You are all good to go!!!!!!!!!!

Offline matthew709

• Rate Post
« Reply #204 on: January 28, 2014, 01:03:16 »
i would say if you can do what needs to be done then why not go for it. more the merrier

Offline Gizmo 421

• Rate Post
« Reply #205 on: January 28, 2014, 06:09:21 »
I rejoined at 52, so in my opinion 45 is not too old at all.
I still have so much to learn.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #206 on: January 28, 2014, 07:22:06 »
You're not alone in this - I'm merging this with a thread full of comment from all sorts of folks who've taken up service later in life.  Browse, learn and good luck, whatever you do!

Milnet.ca Staff
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline xo31@711ret

• Rate Post
« Reply #207 on: January 28, 2014, 09:30:06 »
a good childhood friend of mine left the COATS (hope I got that right; was the CIC when I retired from the regs) before Christmas after many years as a CIC officier. She  left for Saint Jean this week as a pte (recruit) to start her basic. I'll be 50 in a couple months, so she'll be 49 sometime this year.  Good luck! :)

Offline FAL

• Rate Post
« Reply #208 on: March 18, 2014, 21:46:01 »
Wow. This thread just gave me barrels a cement truck full of hope. I have begun the process of applying. I don't even want to say how old I am. Fitness? I am thrilled to see the new physical fitness testing standards. I always sucked at pushups, and could not find any great correlation between them and combat readiness.

However, I was away from the gym for three months, and went back for three visits in a few weeks, and could deadlift 455 pounds. Actually, on my second visit, I did 405 for ten reps. Ironic that the old fitness standards involving having massive pecs and little else (this is an exaggeration) were hard for me to achieve. I have recently jogged a couple miles in my steel-shank, steel-toe heavy work boots. After walking a couple miles to my nearest favorite place to get my 32oz. drink refilled.

I have occasionally thought of being in the middle of a firefight, when the Taliban demands that we all drop and do fifty pushups. Oh, and a hundred situps. Then strip off all our gear and run for twenty miles.

The new stuff:

The FORCE Evaluation consists of four test components, each designed to measure different physical capabilities:

Sandbag Lift: 30 consecutive lifts of a 20 kilogram sandbag above a height of 1 metre, alternating between left and right sandbags separated by 1.25 metres. Standard: 3 minutes 30 seconds.

Intermittent Loaded Shuttles: Using the 20 metre lines, complete ten 20 metre shuttles alternating between a loaded shuttle with a 20 kilogram sand bag and unloaded shuttles, for a total of 400 metres. Standard: 5 minutes 21 seconds.

20-Metre Rushes: Starting from prone, complete two 20 metre shuttle sprints dropping to a prone position every 10 metres, for a total of 80 metres. Standard: 51 seconds.

Sandbag Drag: Carry one 20 kilogram sandbag and pull four on the floor over 20 mtres without stopping. Standard: Complete without stopping.

As the 20kg weight is less than 1/10th of what I can lift, I think I will work on my sprint/rest aerobic training.

Advice? Just specifically advice about what I can do to become more physically prepared. I thought it was going to be situps, chinups, and pushups.

As you may have guessed, I am male.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #209 on: March 18, 2014, 21:59:03 »
Wow. This thread just gave me barrels a cement truck full of hope. I have begun the process of applying. I don't even want to say how old I am. Advice? Just specifically advice about what I can do to become more physically prepared.

So after cutting out the crap from your post which really wasn't relevant........

Here's my :2c:  Age is never a barrier and hasn't been for quite sometime.  So submit your oneline application now if not already done.

Advice?  On being physically prepared, keep doing what you're doing and then be prepared for a long wait.

Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline Mac Isaac

• Rate Post
« Reply #210 on: March 18, 2014, 22:07:09 »
I know I have said this more then once in the last few days and I'm sorry in advance to the staff and moderators however I find this channel on youtube very helpful Basic Up
 As even with the question about age, this season 2 of Basic up on youtube talks about one gentleman who joined i think in his early fifties and has done very well - hope this helps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_O8wlviARE&list=PLF562C684AD920551
Recruiting Centre: CFRC Hamilton
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1:Avionics Tech
Trade Choice 2: AWS Tech
Trade Choice 3: ACISS
Application Date (Online): Jan 14th 2014
Documents Received: Jan 17th 2014
First Contact: Jan 15 2014
Second Contact: Feb 4 2014
CFAT: Feb 08 2014 (PASSED)
Medical: TBD
Interview: TBD
Merit Listed: TBD
Position offered: TBD
Sworn in: TBD
BMQ: TBD

Offline OntR

• Rate Post
« Reply #211 on: March 20, 2014, 12:24:12 »
I'm in a similar situation. I have had the goal of rejoining the Primary Reserve for about 4 years now, as a Signals Officer. I was previously in Armoured, many, many, years ago. I'm happy to say I finally passed all my physical, aptitude, interviews, preliminary medicals, even got approval from my hopefully soon to be C.O. I did uncover a problem with my vision, however. I was initially denied on this matter but appealing the decision with the support of my doctors. I'd say the vision thing is the hardest part of re-applying at a later age. As everyone else on this list has said, however, go for it. I was worried about age as well but then reassured I was in prime condition by the physical testing instructor. That was really nice encouragement. I'll post something on the eye decision once I find out. It's a condition that has come up a few times on this list and the CF doesn't have a clear answer on it. I'm hoping it sorts itself out.

And, I'm new to this list. So, thanks to the folks that run this site and thanks to all of you, and your families, serving in the CF. You don't get enough recognition for what you do.

Offline tatter396

• Rate Post
« Reply #212 on: March 23, 2014, 14:20:14 »
I'm 43 and have just finished interview stage of the application process. Everything has been going well except I've been asked on two occasions by different recruiters if I'm sure I want to put my body through such a physically demanding trade when there are so many other less physical trades to choose from. The people who have gone through it obviously have the knowledge here, so here's my questions. How long could I potentially be a combat engineer or infantry soldier..could I go to age 60 or is that unheard of ? Is one less harder than the other ? Should I look for another trade  I could go to retirement in ? I find traffic tech and boatswain also interesting. I'm just looking for any advice from those who really know how the military works...Thanks

Offline devil39

• Rate Post
  • Emergency Management and Ex-Army Guy
« Reply #213 on: March 23, 2014, 14:44:33 »
Having over 30 years of service and currently a Regular Force Infantry Officer, both are physically demanding trades.  While not impossible to join at 43 and serve until 55 or 60, personal experience tells me that the human body is more apt to accept the occasionally (or sometimes often?)  brutal physical demands of the infantry under the age of 40. 

Regular Force or Reserve might make a difference....I assume you are looking at Reg Force?

Looking back at the demands of Infantry Officer training, and currently living in a beat up 47 year old human body, at this age I would probably pick an interesting trade that did not require, as one of the primary assets, subjecting one's body to often outrageous physical abuse and stress.

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #214 on: March 23, 2014, 16:23:33 »
51 year old grunt here, and Devil39 has it right.  You do have the advantage of a 43 yr old buddy that has not yet been "infantryed", but as you age, your recuperation time gets quite a bit longer.
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #215 on: March 23, 2014, 17:19:38 »
Traffic Tech has many opportunities for travel, as well as the possibility to become a Load Master on certain aircraft in the RCAF.

Remember, the 2 different lifestyles between Army (*dig in*) and Air Force (*check in* 8)).  Having lived both, and being the same age as you, I'm glad I have a plane to carry around the stuff I need to do my job now. 
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline Schindler's Lift

• Rate Post
  • http://goo.gl/1E5Ez0
« Reply #216 on: March 23, 2014, 17:36:08 »
I concur totally with what the others have had to say and I couldn't say it any better.  I will add one more bit of info for you to consider.  As someone joining at 43 you will not be able to build any sort of pension because you don't have the possibility of putting in the required 25 years.  In fact, you will be able to serve less then 20 until you hit the best case scenario of working till 60.  For many, age, aches, pains, family considerations and other factors arise causing us to look at releasing (retiring with a pension if possible) well before age 60. 

I'd personally recommend you consider another trade that will give you some sort of skill set you can use in the civilian sector.  In that way, when you look to release or should you have to release you will be able to transition into an effective civilian position to be able to support yourself and/or family.

Offline tatter396

• Rate Post
« Reply #217 on: March 24, 2014, 04:22:27 »
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I very much appreciate all the advice.

Offline crossroads78

• Rate Post
« Reply #218 on: April 23, 2014, 13:07:18 »
Looking for advice from those who know or can relate.

I'm 34, have a family of 4 and have built a successful career as a business leader and executive. I'm a strong leader and feel I'd do well in the RCAF. I spent 5 years of my youth with the cadet corp (air) and have built my career in aviation since. I do not have my wings and have not completed a degree. I'm literally ready to press submit on my application and have spent weeks researching and speaking with recruiters.

My goals:
1. Build a long term leadership career and obtain progressive rank.
2. Fly (hopefully fixed wing)

Questions:
1. Recruiters have been split regarding the best path for me. i.e. CEOTP or ROTP? I want to make sure I choose the best route to set up for my goals.
2. Given my age, do I stand any chance of earning wings and is there enough time to reach Major or Colonel?
3. Concerned about the educational and training period for my family. Exactly what sacrifices can we expect? 

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #219 on: April 28, 2014, 19:12:35 »
Looking for advice from those who know or can relate.

I'm 34, have a family of 4 and have built a successful career as a business leader and executive. I'm a strong leader and feel I'd do well in the RCAF. I spent 5 years of my youth with the cadet corp (air) and have built my career in aviation since. I do not have my wings and have not completed a degree. I'm literally ready to press submit on my application and have spent weeks researching and speaking with recruiters.

My goals:
1. Build a long term leadership career and obtain progressive rank.
2. Fly (hopefully fixed wing)

Questions:
1. Recruiters have been split regarding the best path for me. i.e. CEOTP or ROTP? I want to make sure I choose the best route to set up for my goals.
2. Given my age, do I stand any chance of earning wings and is there enough time to reach Major or Colonel?
3. Concerned about the educational and training period for my family. Exactly what sacrifices can we expect?

I give it a kick and here goes.......

1.  If as you say, you have not completed a "degree" and if you have a family to support and your wife doesn't work, then forget about ROTP.  There's no way you could support your family.  If your wife does work and you can support your family based on her salary alone, then you could consider ROTP.  Other than that, CEOTP is probably the better way for you to go.
2.  Sure, as long as you pass BMOQ and graduate from either chosen path and pass your flight training, you will earn your wings but it's never a given.  As far as reaching the rank of Major or above, anything is possible!  It's your career.....
3.  Depending on where you currently reside, probably an extended period of separation.  It's all based on personal circumstance and other factors.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 19:42:44 by DAA »
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline Mike5

• Rate Post
« Reply #220 on: May 22, 2014, 09:54:58 »
Hi,

Here's one more note of encouragement for those who are considering the Forces later in life: just finished PRes BMOQ (weekends) and BMOQ Mod 2 at the ripe old age of 48.  No prior military experience, sporadically athletic.  Not the easiest thing I have done in 48 years on this planet... but nothing rewarding is ever easy.

Many thanks to the regular contributors on this board for their guidance and advice -- I never would have made it without milnet.  I would encourage all who read this to consider a membership to 'help keep the lights on'.

Regards,

Mike
Velox Versutus Vigilans

Offline shooked1

• Rate Post
« Reply #221 on: May 23, 2014, 20:24:03 »
After reading this thread I feel like such an a** I'm about to turn 23 I had to go to the recruitment center to book my CFAT and I felt old around all these high school kids.  I have a ton of respect for anyone who want to join the CF and the fact that you guys are want to do it later in life when most people are just content to go on doing some thing they hate just cause it safe and in the box I give that much more , Best of luck and once again a ton of respect.
Recruiting Centre: Toronto
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Trade Choice 1: Infantry
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Applied: May 5, 2014
First contact: May 8, 2014
CFAT: June 2, 2014
Medical: October 8, 2014
Interview: October 21, 2014
Merit Listed: January 2015
Position offered: February 18, 2015
Enrollment/swearing in: February 20, 2015
BMQ: February 23, 2015

Offline stayfrosty

• Rate Post
« Reply #222 on: May 30, 2014, 05:26:54 »
All,

Well, I have taken the plunge. After many years of making excuses and coming up with reasons why I couldn't apply for the Reg Force this month I have decided that it's time to put the excuses behind me and (at 41) jump in both feet to live a life-long dream of serving this great country at the highest level of service one can undertake.

Obviously, this thread has been very interesting to me reading the various thoughts and opinions about embarking on a CF career mid-life. The consensus here seems to be that age is not a barrier to service and that it is very possible to serve and serve well in the 'second half' of your working life.

My 3 trade choices are ACISS, Comm Rsch, and Supply Tech. I would be very interested in hearing from those in the ACISS trade in regards to their thoughts about the demands of that trade (being a 'first in/last out' kind of trade) on someone 40+. It was my first choice, because I have many years of radio/telecommunications/hi-tech experience but I would be interested in hearing directly from those in the ACISS trade. Feel free to PM if you would like.

I passed my CFAT in 2002 when I had previously applied (yes, I was shocked to find out that a 12 year old test result is still in the CF system... I guess they hang on to paperwork for a very long time!  :nod:) and last week passed my personality test and have qualified for my trade choices, now my file has been sent to Ottawa for selection. Now I wait for the call back for my interview/medical. Oh well, I've waited this long for a career in the CF, I guess I can wait a little longer.

Again, thanks to all who have posted in this thread. I have appreciated your candor and opinions about what you think of us 'old guys' starting a career in the CF. If I get to BMQ, I fully expect to get razzed about my age... and I fully expect to be in the best shape of my life so I can kick some younger guy's a**  ;)

Cheers and good luck to all!  :salute:
Recruting Center: Sudbury
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Trade Choice 1: ACISS
Trade Choice 2: Supply Tech
Trade Choice 3: Comms Rsch
Application Date: May 2, 2014
First Contact: May 6, 2014
CFAT completed: Spring 2002 (PASSED)
TSD completed: May 23, 2014 (PASSED)
Interview completed: June 20, 2014 (PASSED)
Medical Completed: June 16, 2014 (PASSED)
Merit Listed:
Sworn in:

"Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars"
-Casey Kasem

Offline upandatom

• Rate Post
« Reply #223 on: May 30, 2014, 09:16:24 »
I concur totally with what the others have had to say and I couldn't say it any better.  I will add one more bit of info for you to consider.  As someone joining at 43 you will not be able to build any sort of pension because you don't have the possibility of putting in the required 25 years.  In fact, you will be able to serve less then 20 until you hit the best case scenario of working till 60.  For many, age, aches, pains, family considerations and other factors arise causing us to look at releasing (retiring with a pension if possible) well before age 60. 

I'd personally recommend you consider another trade that will give you some sort of skill set you can use in the civilian sector.  In that way, when you look to release or should you have to release you will be able to transition into an effective civilian position to be able to support yourself and/or family.

Cant the CDS or the GG grant permission to serve past CRA??
I Was fairly certain I had read that somewhere, it didnt apply to me. Im just killing time reading these threads. You can get a penalized pension as well, I forget what the rate is though.
I am McLovin

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #224 on: May 30, 2014, 09:58:00 »
Cant the CDS or the GG grant permission to serve past CRA??
I Was fairly certain I had read that somewhere, it didnt apply to me. Im just killing time reading these threads. You can get a penalized pension as well, I forget what the rate is though.

Sorry, upandatom.

Once you finally get through the Recruiting process and finish your training, you will have heard about and informed on "Universality of Service" and the exemptions thereof that the Canadian Armed Forces have under the Charter of Rights.  Until such time that you understand these facts, please stay "in your lanes".
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.