Author Topic: Am I too old to join/do well/fit in? (Merged thread)  (Read 206815 times)

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Am I too old to join/do well/fit in? (Merged thread)
« Reply #300 on: August 30, 2017, 08:27:08 »
Also anyone done MSEOP course?

This may help,

MSE Op 
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,18519.0.html
10 pages.

Yes 41 Service Btn here in Calgary  are actively recruiting for a number of trades MSE op being one of them
Do they still run BMQ on weekends?

You can ask,

Welcome to 41 Service Battalion
http://www.41service.com/

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of up to date information.

Offline commander-cb

• Rate Post
    • wx
« Reply #301 on: October 29, 2017, 03:00:34 »
Hello

I am now 50. I started my application , i think it was about 7 years ago - cfat / medical / interview and some other things.

I decided to reopen the application. I am trying not to get excited about it, it has already been a roller coaster ride.

I know I can do it, or at least keep pace with most of the lads. Physically things have fallen off a bit, I broke my wrist 3 months ago ( cycling )- and it is about 98% now. I still heal well and I feel spry.

Unfortunatly, the only occupation I am interested in is being a pilot. It is the only thing I have ever cared about. I don't think I qualified years ago, but strangly enough I might be qualified now.

I'm trying not to get too excited, but I can promise you - if there is even the tinyest crack - I will get through.

My physical performance is not in doubt.
While in training the last time around ( age ~43 ) I was able to attain the old USMC PFT score 280.
Yes - it is a true and accurate number. I did do that, and ~should~ be able to do it again.

I  can tell you what happens - you don't actually get old.
You are _constantly_ being told you are old, and you begin to believe it.
It seems to be more of a mental game. Staying motivated and determined can be a challenge.

As a example, due to my "age" people will tell me that I can not, or should not work hard.

I hope I get a chance. I was told to do a couple things to demonstrate my reliability. I have completed those objectives to the best of my ability, and I expect to get a chance.

I don't know what else I can do to tip the scale. I believe I can still do it.
I am going for it.

Tell me I'm wrong, or tell me what I need to do. ___ I am going to hack it.___
Application began approx 2010
Cfat passed
Current first choice  00135
Second. 00136
Third. Avn structures

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #302 on: October 29, 2017, 12:18:33 »
Quote from: commander-cb

I  can tell you what happens - you don't actually get old.

:pointdexter:
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
« Reply #303 on: November 05, 2017, 22:02:03 »
I can’t say anything about you wanting to specifically be a pilot, but, I was on course with a gentleman who was 50. He had served some years before, then decided he wanted back in. I can’t recall his trade atm, but a woman on my sister pl was 48.

Anyway, all in all, I encountered quite a few recruits well over 40 during my time at CFLRS. It isn’t that uncommon these days. All the best and hopefully things work out for you.
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #304 on: November 05, 2017, 22:45:51 »
___ I am going to hack it.___

Let us know how it works out. Good luck.  :)

( Incidentally, commander-cb Date of first and so far only post: October 29, 2017 Last Active: October 29, 2017 )

Offline commander-cb

• Rate Post
    • wx
« Reply #305 on: November 06, 2017, 05:52:21 »
Heya

I went for my aviation class 3 medical today - passed .

I have high blood pressure - " it is a little high " but it wont keep me out of the cockpit.

Says it may be the coffee  -. My pressure has always been high ish it is just who I am.
The other problem is a tiny bit of blood in my urine-  " March hematuria " From the long walks I've done over the past few days. ( most likely ).  ... ....   up side on the roller coaster ............ :brit poppy:
Cfat passed
Second. 00136
Third. Avn structures

Offline Roger123

• Rate Post
« Reply #306 on: November 06, 2017, 07:06:47 »
How far along are you in the application process? Did you talk with a recruiter yet and was there any concern over your age?

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #307 on: November 15, 2017, 09:37:20 »
Unfortunatly, the only occupation I am interested in is being a pilot.

Just as a heads up your age may play a role in your preference at this stage.  You have stated that you're currently 50 years old, the initial terms of service for Pilot Direct Entry is 9 years and applicants must be able to fulfill their initial contract prior to reaching Compulsory Retirement Age (CRA) which is 60; so you have until your 51st birthday to complete the process and be enrolled.  Anything after your 51st birthday and you'd no longer be eligible for the Pilot occupation.

I'm not stating this to discourage you from trying for pilot; I'm only giving this information to assist in managing your expectations.

Cheers,
Buck_HRA

Offline commander-cb

• Rate Post
    • wx
« Reply #308 on: November 16, 2017, 15:22:18 »
just received the invite.
Cfat passed
Second. 00136
Third. Avn structures

Offline kratz

Fall: Sweater Weather.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #309 on: November 16, 2017, 15:50:41 »
Good for you. All the best in your process.

Reminder to all: This private site is not an official source.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline wenetresults

• Rate Post
« Reply #310 on: November 16, 2017, 18:29:08 »
 8) commander-cb you can do it! I started Reg Forces BMQ St. Jean in 2011, but VR after 5 weeks due to injuries. I turn 44 at the end of November, and am just about enrolled. I just completed the Forces test and onto the Interview and Medical next week. Hoping to get to the Reserves Weekend BMQ in January 2018. I am really excited about working with the 41 Sig Regt soon.
Recruiting Center: Calgary
Regular/Reserve: Reserve
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: ACISS
Application Date: October 3, 2017
First Contact: November 1, 2017
CFAT Completed : February 3, 2011 (still valid)
FORCE Test Completed: November 14, 2017
Medical Completed: November 21, 2017
Interview Completed: November 23, 2017
Position Offered: ACISS
Swear in: May 25, 2018
Basic Training Begins: October 2018

Offline commander-cb

• Rate Post
    • wx
« Reply #311 on: November 17, 2017, 06:23:45 »
I applied years ago but it appears to be starting afresh. I can not see a few days/weeks/months making a big deal.
I will go for it.

Cfat passed
Second. 00136
Third. Avn structures

Offline Mike5

• Rate Post
« Reply #312 on: November 17, 2017, 09:40:13 »
I enrolled at 47, completed the training, and I wasn't even the oldest guy on BMOQ-L.  I'm still in, still grateful for the opportunity to serve.  Just stay in shape, listen, watch, learn and hydrate.   You can do it,

Good luck
Velox Versutus Vigilans

Offline Kerosen

• Rate Post
« Reply #313 on: November 17, 2017, 10:31:27 »
I enrolled at 47, completed the training, and I wasn't even the oldest guy on BMOQ-L.  I'm still in, still grateful for the opportunity to serve.  Just stay in shape, listen, watch, learn and hydrate.   You can do it,

Good luck

I'M been enrolled at 47 y.o. too, starting BMQ in 2 weeks by week end, so far is not so bad at my armoury for the tuesday training accept last tuesday a
bit rought on physical for my age for the last 15 minutes, but i survived.......... lollllllllll
Kerosen
Non nobis sed patria 
« Pas pour nous-mêmes, mais pour la patrie »

Armoured soldier 
Homme d'équipage blindé

Offline lid

• Rate Post
« Reply #314 on: November 26, 2017, 10:57:29 »
Am I too old for warrior trades? (DEO artillery, infantry officer, regular or reserve). Most topics only encourage to join, but not specifically about age+combat.

I'm nearly 33. If application go smooth I will be 35 to start, serve till 40. I was in good shape before, 10 years ago I ran 42km 100pushups, 5 years ago half this, but now half of half (Typical deterioration for 30+age civilian). Obviously no more "top shape". I think BMQ is still fine, but combat trade? There were few cases NCM beyond 35, but officers? I read through topics about BMOQ_L, DP, it's cruel with high probability of attrition, even I try very hard to regain fitness level.

Is it advisable to apply warrior trades? (e.g. If only 1% combat officer start at 35, I will just give up this idea). Thanks.

Offline BC Old Guy

• Rate Post
« Reply #315 on: November 26, 2017, 11:37:17 »
Am I too old for warrior trades? (DEO artillery, infantry officer, regular or reserve). Most topics only encourage to join, but not specifically about age+combat.

I'm nearly 33. If application go smooth I will be 35 to start, serve till 40. . . .

Is it advisable to apply warrior trades? . . ..

Infantry officer training is very physically demanding, with only 50% completing the training.  The best description is the posting by Technoviking in 2011 - https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,99437.msg1018867.html#msg1018867

I had a 50-year old Officer Cadet (OCdt) (Reserves) attend the Infantry course. (School staff did discuss with me, and asked - What was I thinking?)  He was very fit, training for and running marathon's before the start of training.  He was also very determined.  He did ok on the course, and was passing when he decided that the affects to his body were not worth the final results, in view of the prospects for deployment, and field employment.   This was towards the end of the Canadian deployment into Afghanistan,  when employment as a Reserve Lieutenant as a platoon commander on deployment was very unlikely.  He could have completed the course, and would have been an asset to the Reserve unit for the 6-7 years he could serve.

While at the Reserve unit, I mentored 2 junior officers in their early 30's who were attempting the Infantry course.  Both had some difficulties, especially with the physical demands on their bodies.  Successful completion was the result of high motivation to complete the course, and by being in excellent physical condition. 

When you are on course, many/most of your course-mates will be 20-22.  Some will be extremely fit.  They will recover faster.

In the end, it will be up to you.  Is the pain and damage to your body worth the future employment as an Infantry officer? 

BCOG

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #316 on: November 26, 2017, 11:58:08 »

In the end, it will be up to you.  Is the pain and damage to your body worth the future employment as an Infantry officer? 

BCOG

Not to mention the fact that, in battle, the Infantry tend to be killed or wounded in much larger numbers than any other arm or service.

Which is why we have so much fun at work!  ;D
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Roger123

• Rate Post
« Reply #317 on: November 26, 2017, 12:03:03 »
Aircrew applicant here. Just curious as to the specific type of physical training that one goes through with respect to becoming an Infantry officer.

Offline BC Old Guy

• Rate Post
« Reply #318 on: November 26, 2017, 12:38:16 »
Just curious as to the specific type of physical training that one goes through with respect to becoming an Infantry officer.

From Technoviking's 2011 post - "The field phase is intense.  If you think that you cannot bear to carry upwards of 60 pounds in all weather, day and night, for hours at a time, and then complete complex mental tasks with little sleep or food,"

During classroom training, the candidates will be marching to/from with the full pack, wearing helmets, carrying personal and crew-served weapons.  This is followed by the field phase, where the candidate is marching with full kit day and night, while being tasked to lead, think, explain, applying the concepts learned in the classroom. This is in addition to any "traditional" Physical Fitness training that is conducted - confidence courses, jogging, calisthenics.

BCOG

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 13:02:59 by mariomike »

Offline lid

• Rate Post
« Reply #320 on: November 26, 2017, 13:18:01 »
While at the Reserve unit, I mentored 2 junior officers in their early 30's who were attempting the Infantry course.  Both had some difficulties, especially with the physical demands on their bodies.  Successful completion was the result of high motivation to complete the course, and by being in excellent physical condition. 

When you are on course, many/most of your course-mates will be 20-22.  Some will be extremely fit.  They will recover faster.

Yes that's the post worried me. Before reading that post I think I maybe just fine, after, I feel combat officer actually applied (though not stated) US age 27 threshold as physical requirement, and I'm out unless I'm ironman athlete beyond age. I don't want to be someone "waste time and resource", or struggling to pass lowest standard.

I'd like to know more about the average, similar examples and statistics. For the two 30+ officers, do they finally keep up entire service period? Throughout all combat mentees you had, what percent is 30+ age? (e.g. 3% in regular? 5% in reserve? or the few examples are the only could recall?).

I'm open to other trades, in selection process will it be "less considered for combat/ have better chance elsewhere" even if I put combat first choice?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 13:26:08 by mariomike »

Offline lid

• Rate Post
« Reply #322 on: November 26, 2017, 16:00:42 »
Average age of Infantry Officers,
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&ei=zAUbWuWOIsq3jwSs5YugCA&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22infantry+officer%22+%22average+age%22&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22infantry+officer%22+%22average+age%22&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0.0.34955.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.qSQ8S-ARL3E

Too old for the Infantry?
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&ei=4gYbWt2JE6bojwTc74j4DA&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22too+old%22+infantry&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22too+old%22+infantry&gs_l=psy-ab.3...44780.47567.0.48771.10.10.0.0.0.0.110.748.9j1.10.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.vP3_PfpH18g

I did the research, read many posts (50+ pages) about age (and more megathreads about training) before I ask, including many of your previous answers. Still, typical results are "I know a few supermen, not me", "I'm 40,50 done BMQ (not related to combat)", and positive enouragement "age is not the problem". No statistics (percent % of 30+ age first join combat officer) to help decision, or any person telling his own training experience in age group. I understand such data maybe unavailable, discouraging or negative, but google again couldn't help more. Thanks anyway.

Offline BC Old Guy

• Rate Post
« Reply #323 on: November 26, 2017, 16:05:06 »
Yes that's the post worried me.

I'd like to know more about the average, similar examples and statistics. For the two 30+ officers, do they finally keep up entire service period? Throughout all combat mentees you had, what percent is 30+ age? (e.g. 3% in regular? 5% in reserve? or the few examples are the only could recall?).

Sorry - the data-set is too small to generalize.  I provided those examples as just that - examples of what could be done.  One has since left the unit, the other is a major.  Could the one that left the unit have been as successful as the one who is now a major - probably.  Life's circumstances change for all of us, and results in different decisions on whats best for ourselves and our families.  Some are successful, and stay, others are successful and leave. 

Could you pass the Infantry course? - Probably.  Will you WANT to pass?  That is the more important question in my mind.  If your answer is - Maybe, you may want to chose an occupation other than Infantry Officer.

You don't need to be super-fit to succeed.  However, you DO need have very good physical fitness, with emphasis on endurance and hiking in rough terrain with a heavy pack,  and a DESIRE to lead in the Infantry.

The other answers in this thread provide good information to help you to make up your mind. If you wish to continue this discussion off-line, send a PM.

BCOG

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #324 on: November 26, 2017, 16:11:44 »
Thanks anyway.

You are welcome. Good luck.   :)