Author Topic: Married Service Couples [MSC]  (Read 66821 times)

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• The Fly in Someone's Ointment - Giggity
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Married Service Couples [MSC]
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2005, 13:21:53 »
It all dpends.  If you went such trades as clerk, cook, supply tech  etc then you could have a better chance of serving in the same trade.  I knew a navy cook that had never been to sea.
Apparently infamous for his one liners.
Oh Giggity Well...........Giggity

Offline Shadow

• Rate Post
    • Army News
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2005, 15:30:50 »
I know clerks of all elements can be posted just about anywhere.  You can be navy and get posted to Petawawa, it's been done.  The trade is pretty much the same no matter what element. People will just look at you funny when you're on parade  ;)
You didn't mention which navy trades you were looking at?
Anything's possible with Commander Coo-Coo-Bananas in charge!

Offline Harris

Is back at the grind.

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2005, 15:44:44 »
The new RSS Officer at my Unit (West NSR) and his wife are both from different trades.  He's Infantry and she is Navy.  They live in Halifax and he travels to Aldershot every day to work.  So it can be done.
Cheers

Todd
Army.ca

"We need leaders who have physical and mental courage on the battlefield, of course, but also the courage to speak their minds and offer respectful and candid feedback to their superiors. Our leaders can’t feel compelled to tell their bosses what they want to hear."
- H.R. McMaster.

Offline Tommy

• If you dont fill out your Claim properly, the Terrorists Win...
  • Rate Post
  • This Space for Rent - Enquire Within
    • iRock
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2005, 23:30:33 »
We've had a husband and wife team in our unit for a few years.. granted they are both Reg F CSS Types, one is a Clerk and the Other a Sup Tech. I've noticed it tends to be easier to move people when they are purple trades since they can go anywhere.

It sounds to me like youre probabbly going to have some trouble making that one work. But best of luck!
Tommy is retired now so he can say any opinion he darned well pleases so long as it stays within the forum guidelines :D

Offline bossi

• "vae soli, vae victus"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • The puck stops here ('War On Ice'!) Fight Smarter!
    • My pix (on MSN)
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2005, 09:31:07 »
The majority of mixed MOC/environment marriages that I've run across usually involve one spouse in a svc sp MOC.  As stated previously, clerks/cooks/bin rats/etc. can be employed virtually anywhere. 

And, with regard to the comment about married officers, yes - it's true - officers can "look forward" to staff or HQ postings, where there's a little bit more leeway - however, having said that, any rank who's just starting their career shouldn't hold their breath for postings away from their primary environment (e.g. ship/Navy, field/Army, airfield/Air Force).

Best of luck!
Junior officers and NCOs who neglect to guide the thinking of their men are shirking a command responsibility.
-Feb 1955 Cbt Forces Journal
Those who appreciate true valour should in their daily intercourse set gentleness first and aim to win the love and esteem of others. If you affect valour and act with violence, the world will in the end detest you and look upon you as wild beasts. Of this you should take heed.
-Emperor Meiji: Rescript to Soldiers and Sailors, 4 January 1883

Offline shokuten

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2005, 13:34:20 »
OK, I'm leaving in august for my basic at St-Jean, I'll be done in October and Probably be sent to my next training session when ever, but heres the thing..

My sister is getting married in March of 2006, and most likely I'll be doing something in the army (i hope) she wants me to attend, and i just want to know Can i get leave for something like that? How does the army work for situations like that?

thanks for any help and sorry for any bad grammar and spelling mistakes
"don't ever back down..."

Offline wotan

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2005, 13:55:28 »
I'm presuming you're joing the Reg F, so my response will based on that premise.

Your trg takes precedence over everything else, full stop.  That said, if you are between crses or are completed your trg by that pt in time, you MAY be granted lve.  This doesn't mean you WILL be granted lve, but it is something that your CO or OC can consider, just like for any other soldier.

If your sister resides in the same location as your next of kin (if you are single and don't have kids, your NOK is Mom and Dad), than you may be eligible for Lve Travel Assistance (LTA) that will offset some of the cost of travelling "home" as defined under CBI 209.50.

The long and short of it is, if you are in trg (Recruit or Trades), don't bank on getting lve.  If you are between crses or have reported in to your new unit after Trades Training, there is the possibility of being granted lve.  But, if you are in this for the long haul, get used to missing birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, deaths, and all sorts of family occasions. 

That said, best of luck on your courses and congratulations to your sister.  Cheers.
You are correct, Madame, I am drunk.  But you are ugly and in the morning I will be sober.

Offline shokuten

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2005, 16:05:36 »
thanks thats everything i was looking for

cheers!
"don't ever back down..."

Offline wotan

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2005, 17:29:53 »
You're very welcome.  Always better to ask than to be out there wondering.  Cheers.

You are correct, Madame, I am drunk.  But you are ugly and in the morning I will be sober.

Wanting2Join

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2007, 07:21:55 »
My husband is currently a reservist, he served overseas and upon his return has put in for a component transfer to the Reg Force. I am in the process of joining the Reserves, but have considered joining the Regs. We have 4 children ranging in ages from 9 months to 14 years.
Are there any other families in this forum that have 2 parents that are in the Regs? Or any other Moms that are in the Regs? I'm wondering how to handle being in the military full time, with children. It is possible? What kind of support is available? Does the military assist with child care if you have to train on weekends, or do we find our own sitters? etc etc...
Thanks in advance.
:salute:

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2007, 07:55:16 »
The CF does have and offers some family service resources BUT, this will depend on the area of the country where you are based.

Both in the Regs:
Depending on the trades you and your husband have, things can sometimes be dicey - instances where he will be posted to one base while you are posted to another..... not too bad when the two locations are within a day's drive of each other but, when you are at either end of the country.... not good.
One Reg, one Res:
A lot depends on the Reserve units that exist near where your husband gets posted... but you will have a bit more control on where you go and what you do & when you are available for work.
Chimo!

Offline exgunnertdo

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2007, 07:56:00 »
My husband and I both transferred from the Reserves to Reg a couple of years ago.  We have two kids who (at the time) were 2 and 4.  Some factors that made it easy/easier for us:

-we were granted BOTP/IAP bypass due to time and trg in the PRes
-we both changed classifications, but to jobs that are primarily OT, so our training courses were filled with people with time in, spouses (civi and mil), and children (there were only 2 people on my course without kids, and the rest of us had kids ranging from 2 weeks to 16 years old).  The climate was more "family friendly" than a course filled with 20 ish single guys
-with a combined experience of nearly 35 years in the PRes, we knew our way around the regulations and administration, making it significantly easier to navigate the CFRC processes, then the training system after that.

If your husband is combat arms, he will get (according to current policy, anyway) a direct transfer to the RegF, in the rank that he wore in Afghanistan.  If there are complications and he has to do some training (SQ, trades training etc) then you joining the RegF (or even the Res) will be that much more difficult.  Basic level stuff like SQ and basic combat arms trades courses are not family friendly, you would be expected to sort out your child care arrangements so that he could do his training.  If you are on a course at the same time, like BMQ, then you will need a very reliable grandparent or something to help.  If he gets to go straight to the Regt or Battalion, it will be easier.

The system tends to be fairly supportive of service couples, but does not bend over backwards to make your life easy.  You are still expected to be a responsible soldier, sailor or airperson and manage your personal life.  You are responsible for day-to-day child care, including weekends if you have to work.  But, if you're both RegF, there is a provision that if you are both sent away at the same time (to the field on ex, on a course, on TD or on deployment), they will pay the extra child care, over and above your regular child care.  You still have to make the arrangements, they won't deliver a bonded, insured, reference-checked babysitter to your door.  There is a program with the MFRC that will find you emergency child care, for the first few days, if, say hubby is away and you are called away on short notice.  With this program, you still have to pay for it, and you have to get your "emergency family care plan" going (fly a grandparent in or whatever) cause their support is only for a couple of days.

Most career managers are pretty good about keeping couples together, since keeping them apart is expensive.  But you have to be flexible.  For example, if your hubby is combat arms, and you insist to your career manager that you don't want to go to Shilo, Pet, Gagetown, etc.  You're asking for trouble.

Bottom line, if you are willing to work with the system, and not fight it every step of the way, it's a great life.  There are complications, but there are complications with every family choice you make.  Expect the first couple of years to be tough, while you get trained.  

Feel free to PM me if you want to ask more specifics, or just to chat about experiences.
"Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . ."
"God fights on the side with the best artillery"
- Napoleon

Wanting2Join

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2007, 09:38:57 »
Thank you for your input.

It's a hard decision to make. We have a large family and all my relatives live over 2000km away on the east coast. Finding committed babysitters is difficult and I never want to get into a situation where I'm unreliable due to child care issues. That's why I'm trying to get input from couples/moms that are currently in this situation before I make any decisions.

I'm currently going through the recruitment process to join the reserves, but may want to join the Regs in the future, if it's suitable.

Could you elaborate on this "emergency family care plan"? What is this exactly?

Offline exgunnertdo

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2007, 11:03:27 »
I think its official title is "Family Care Plan" or FCP.  It's a one page form on your file.  Everyone in the CF is supposed to fill it out.  I even did one as a Class A reservist.  You are to state that either you have nobody that you are responisble to care for (children or elderly parents, whatever) or you have people you care for and then you either state that you have arrangements but choose not to disclose the arrangements, or you state who your emergency caregivers are, where they live etc.  This form is then filed on your pers file.  It serves two purposes - it "forces" the member to think about the situation, by suggesting they put it in writing, and in the worst case scenario, the CoC can look at your FCP and call your emergency caregiver (whether it's a friend, neighbour, grandparent, other relative, etc) to look after your kids, if you can't.

In our case, our FCP has both of our mothers on it, and they would both drop everything and fly out to help if they were needed.  Committed extended family is essential, along with managing the risk.  I'm in a trade that doesn't deploy much (we do a bit, but we rely on volunteers, and there are enough people to volunteer), and hubby is in a trade that does deploy a fair bit, but unlikely to deploy on a moments notice.  He travels a fair bit with his current posting, I don't.  That could change next posting, who knows.

Hope this helps.
"Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . ."
"God fights on the side with the best artillery"
- Napoleon

Wanting2Join

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2007, 11:49:22 »
Thanks so much, I do have 1 other question. The cost of flying a relative out to care for children, is it covered by the parents (me)? I'm positive it is, but have to clarify.

thanks

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2007, 12:03:54 »
Thanks so much, I do have 1 other question. The cost of flying a relative out to care for children, is it covered by the parents (me)? I'm positive it is, but have to clarify.

thanks

Yes, this is the members own financial responsibility.

NOTE TO MARRIED SERVICE COUPLES:

It is extremely unadviseable to list your "service spouse" as the emergency familycare provider on your own FCP ... and have the other "service spouse" listing you as the emergency familycare provider on their FCP.

It's happened ... and that couple is dealing with those consequences now. As far as I'm concerned, that should have been picked up by the OR and the form bounced back as unacceptable when it was submitted for inclusion onto their files.

The intent is to list an emergency familycare provider who would be available on "XX" number of hours notice should you be required to RFD or deploy in an emergency situation, if this situation should be a war etc ... why the frig would you ever list your service spouse (who is also subject to, and may be) deployed on that emergency as well? (Their trade doesn't usually deploy?? That was the reason given for the listing of their svc spouse as the emergency provider in the above sit -- think again -- think Ice Storm etc).

Use these forms properly!! They are EMERGENCY familycare plans. When you are slated to deploy on an Op ... and your spouse on a course which occurs during your deployment, both of which you are advised about months in advance ... does not constitue an emergency.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline Bubbs25

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2010, 11:00:18 »
Good day all,

Unsure if this is the right place to post this but im sure you'll point me in the right direction.
I am awaiting a posting to borden to do my ACS TECH 3's in Borden, Since I have a service spouse, is there anyway that she could be posted with me for the duration of my 3's or will I have to attend the course on IR. Is there anyway that I could get her attach posted with me for the duration and posted to my Base/Wing after my 3's.
I have 2 small children as well.  Will it be in the best interest of the CF to post her after my 3's or with me on my 3's.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

Bubbs 25
The best defence of the country is the fear of the fighter. If we are strong in fighters we should probably never be attacked in force. If we are moderately strong we shall probably be attacked and the attacks will gradually be bought to a standstill. . . . If we are weak in fighter strength, the attacks will not be bought to a standstill and the productive capacity of the country will be virtually destroyed.

— Air Chief Marshal Sir Hugh Dowding

Offline Tango18A

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2010, 11:23:31 »
The Career Mangers always state during their breifings that they have no obligations to post service spouses as a couple. What trade is she? And how long is your QL3? These are usually determining factors in posting your DF & E. When your course message come out it will state any limitations, and sometimes dependant on course "The movement of DF & E is Restricted" Just wait until your message arrives and have your CoC explain it to you.

Offline Bubbs25

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2010, 11:28:28 »
My spouse is an MSE Op. I do 2 months manditory common core and 9 months for my 3's. As well like i mentioned we have 2 young children, not of school age yet.  Do you think this could be a factor as well.
The best defence of the country is the fear of the fighter. If we are strong in fighters we should probably never be attacked in force. If we are moderately strong we shall probably be attacked and the attacks will gradually be bought to a standstill. . . . If we are weak in fighter strength, the attacks will not be bought to a standstill and the productive capacity of the country will be virtually destroyed.

— Air Chief Marshal Sir Hugh Dowding

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2010, 11:51:19 »
Your spouse* can always request a posting to be co-located with you but it may not probably won't happen until after your QL3 course, to avoid two cost moves in a short period of time.

*Note:  You do not request that your spouse be posted (or attach posted), she does.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2010, 12:02:52 »
Another thing to consider is how close it is to people proceeding on postings this APS.  Her CM would have had to figure out his/her posting plot long ago.  This might make your wife's CM alittle more reluctant to post/attach post her.

Note that, with attach postings, IIRC it is VERY rare to get a move of D, HG & E.

Not all Career Managers are uncaring.  I can't speak for any other trade but...the CWOs in my trade are excellent with stuff like this, from what I've seen so far (which is less than many in my trade at this time).

Having said that, it never hurts for her to ask, and the worst that can happen is...nothing.

"What a f$$kin' week!" - me, every Monday at about 1130hrs.

Offline StevenCL

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2010, 11:02:07 »
Good morning,

I'm a MARS Officer posted to Halifax and my wife is a qualified Social Worker considering joining the RegF as a Social Work Officer.  The only concern we have is about postings once she's done basic training and working as a Social Work Officer.  On the surface it would seem to me like it wouldn't be that hard to post a Social Work Officer anywhere they can post a MARS Officer and word having met a few service couples during my career it would seem like the trend is to try to post service couples together.  My question is, is there any reference or document that states that the powers that be must try to do this as much as possible?  I can't seem to find anything.  While we're both excited about the prospect of her joining up and not having to give up a job in the even I get posted away one day it'd be nice to have a bit more confidence that we wouldn't be separated beyond normal training/deployment or my sailing schedule.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Steve

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2010, 11:09:12 »
There is nothing in writing that states that they must post service couples together.  That being said, they do attempt to when they can, depending on positions available.  What you do have in your favor is being from two completely different trades in the CF.  That being said, be prepared for the possibility of a separate posting.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

aesop081

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2010, 11:11:14 »
   it'd be nice to have a bit more confidence that we wouldn't be separated beyond normal training/deployment or my sailing schedule.

The military offers no guarantees that you will be posted to the same location. Career managers try to post service couples together as much as possible but the needs of the service come first, thus they are under no obligation to do so.

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2010, 12:27:42 »
. . .  On the surface it would seem to me like it wouldn't be that hard to post a Social Work Officer anywhere they can post a MARS Officer . . .

While you can't swing a dead cat in Halifax (or Esquimalt) without hitting a MARS officer there may be only limited positions for a Social Work Officer.  Granted these locations have greater military populations and will undoubtedly have a larger social work contingent, however that does not guarantee that there will be a vacancy to coincide with your posting there.  Her career manager may have other ideas; there could be shortfalls in other locations.  At one time (before much of the consolidation in the last decade plus) it was very common to find only one social worker at a base.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 13:17:55 by Blackadder1916 »
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.