Author Topic: Armoured Taking Over as a FOO-Discussion  (Read 20526 times)

Offline FOO TECH G11

• Rate Post
Re: Armoured Taking Over as a FOO-Discussion
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2005, 19:35:23 »
and what with observer23's immense knowledge in his toon time job, we can see just how far two thirds of his career can go

UBIQUE  :salute:
There is a philosophical element to it all too: a bullet may or may not have your number on it, but I am sure shells are merely engraved with â Ëœto whom it may concernâ Ëœ.

Offline Coyote43D

• Rate Post
  • Military - Reg Force
Re: armoured taking over as a FOO
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2005, 21:12:07 »
currently we use the MSTAR, which has differences than the one in the Coyote. We use the MSTAR with the new LAV OPV.

We just upgraded the Radar on the Coyotes, we are now using the same MSTAR as on the LAV OPV.

Offline Recce41

• Rate Post
  • Yes, I'm a prick! What about it!
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2005, 09:00:41 »
Fellas
 The Armour Corp has had Foos and Facs. Remember Armour Recce regts had Mortors and most of the Army Pilots were Armour back in the 50s. As for the Radar, I have fired a few radar fire missions. The School is to have 8 FACs and 2 Armour FOO postions, but due that we are too busy, we don't send anyone.
Canadian Decoration,Chief of Defence Staff Commandation.Bold and Swift/Airborne

Offline SHELLDRAKE!!

• Rate Post
  • BIG GUN GO BOOM
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2005, 09:59:19 »
 Just to clarify things for those not up to speed on terminology, A FOO is a foreward observation officer who gets qualified on the foreward observation officers course including in depth fire planning. A FOO tech is the foreward observation officers technician who is also capeable of calling in fire, basic fireplanning and through time and experience can often be much more profficient than many FOO's(Yea thats my foo tech jab at officers). The FOO TECH course is currently run by the Artillery and almost always includes other arms elements such as armoured and infantry.

Someone correct me if im wrong but I know of no other arms elements currently being offered the FOO course. And just because you have the foo tech course, without practice in the IFT (indirect fire simulator) and application of your skills live in the field, you tend to lose the skills you learned on the foo tech course.

Again I will say that I fully support "cross training" so there are more people on the battlefield able to call in fire, but unless the skills are maintained (which usually can only happen within the Arty trade) the likelihood of a Battery commander alloting fire to someone who did a foo tech course in 1989 is slim to none.

As for the FAC course, I don't think it should even be verbally balled in with this topic as a FAC qualified person is equally ideal when placed in a FOO party or when placed with armour or infantry. Its just much easier placed in the FOO party since they are deployed at the foreward edge with the best view of the ground.
"Artillerymen believe the world consists of two types of people; other Artillerymen and targets"-unknown

Offline muskrat89

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Desert Rat
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2005, 09:59:52 »
and what with observer23's immense knowledge in his toon time job, we can see just how far two thirds of his career can go

Nor does a catty response to a post 6 months old impress me.  You need to develop an "immense knowledge" of the Conduct Guidelines.

You can quit with the toon time comments, and maybe try to add something substantive to the thread. Thanks in advance.

:army:
The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.