Author Topic: Geomatics Technician (merged)  (Read 41890 times)

Offline m_a_c

• Rate Post
  • Velox, Versutus, Vigilans
Geomatics Technician (merged)
« on: October 27, 2004, 13:16:44 »
Can anyone tell me about the Geomatics Trade?  What kinds of postings are there?  Do they do any other types of engineer taskings besides map stuff?  Where does the course take place Gagetown or somewhere else?  How long is the course?  Thank you for your help. 
"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally."

Soviet infantry manual, issued in the 1930's

aesop081

Re: Question regarding Geomatics Technician 142
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 16:31:41 »
I beleive that the course is at MCE in Ottawa. Not too sure about complete employement but we did have one guy at CFSME to teach surveying.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 01:12:50 »
Last I heard, once selected for the trade, members are sent to Carleton University for thier training (I believe it was Masters level).  Postings include NDHQ and all the brigade headquarters (and I would imagine other locations).

Jobs include producing maps of different types for different purposes, simulated area fly-throughs, country briefs, sataliete maps & images, etc.

Offline zerhash

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 17:11:05 »
a lot of money in that trade outside of the military

we must be struggling for the officers
No Thrill Like OVERKILL!

CHIMO!

Offline m_a_c

• Rate Post
  • Velox, Versutus, Vigilans
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 17:12:40 »
Thanks for the information.

m_a_c
"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally."

Soviet infantry manual, issued in the 1930's

Offline Bomber for Life

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 09:43:15 »
Does anyone know who to contact for re-mustering from Artillery to 3 FES in Ottawa's Geomatics section. Is there any info available? Contact numbers.

thx.

p.s- Yes, I know, contact the recruiting centre. Just looking to have a few questions answered.

Offline McGowan(Banned)

• Banned
  • Rate Post
Re: Geomatics Remuster
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 23:42:35 »
I just phone switch board
Ask not; what your nation can do for YOU, but what YOU can do for your nation - JFK

Offline Bomber for Life

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 08:55:39 »
I just phone switch board

What does that mean?

Offline Gunner

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Artillery Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 11:16:05 »
PM on the way.
Had a wonderful ~26 years in the military and still miss it.

Offline Bomber for Life

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 14:21:16 »
thx.

tikiguy

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 16:20:11 »
On the www.recruiting.forces.ca it lists a trade called Geomatics Technician  (GEO TECH). It says that it's only open to CF members with QL 4 in another trade.

I was QL 4 qualified as a 512 Airframe Tech back in '95 while I was in the Air Reserves. Would that qualify, even if I am otherwise considered an untrained recruit? (I have to do BMQ again when I go in.)

I also have some experience in the area of geomatics as I have lectured in college on the use of XML and Dynamic Web Languages in the GIS context.

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
Re: GEO TECH Question
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 17:00:25 »
On the www.recruiting.forces.ca it lists a trade called Geomatics Technician   (GEO TECH). It says that it's only open to CF members with QL 4 in another trade.

I was QL 4 qualified as a 512 Airframe Tech back in '95 while I was in the Air Reserves. Would that qualify, even if I am otherwise considered an untrained recruit? (I have to do BMQ again when I go in.)

I also have some experience in the area of geomatics as I have lectured in college on the use of XML and Dynamic Web Languages in the GIS context.

Sorry serving members only and come on you are talking about being qualified in a trade that doesn't even exist anymore.

On another note: 17 months of training, damn!
- Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.
- Just when you realize life's a *****, it has puppies.

tikiguy

Re: GEO TECH Question
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 16:28:40 »
It's a moot point but, even though 512 doesn't exist anymore, I do have a related college diploma, 2 years university, 5 years work experience in Computer Sciences (both teaching and doing) and have lectured to geomatics students, so it's not like I'm trying to weasle in "unqualified". It's not so outrageous a proposition, is it?

17 months training is nothing. All totalled, I have 10 years of post-secondary education.

But like I said, it's a moot point since I am not a serving member yet. But I'll keep it in mind for down-the-road.

All said, Big Thanks to kincanuck for the tremendous contributions to this board.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 16:35:47 by tikiguy »

TRH

GEO TECH qualifications?
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 17:33:41 »
 Geomatics  - Definition - "The science and technology of gathering, analyzing, interpreting, distributing, and using geographic information"

Hello,

I have a number of questions regarding the Geomatics Technician position within the Military Engineering Branch of the Canadian Forces.

Before I begin I should say I am a 28 year old male with a Geography Degree and a Post Grad Certificate in Geographic Information Systems.  I have been working as a Geomatics Technician in Toronto for a 1 year.

I am very interested in joining the CF in a geomatics capacity.  I visited the recruitment office in Mississauga, but was disappointed to find that there was no more literature or information other than what can be found on the CF website, and those working there were not too helpful.  Other than being told that my best option was to join as an officer, not as a NCM. 

I then emailed the recruiting office in Toronto only to be told that the Geo Tech position was for existing members only; only to be given a slightly different story from a different recruiter but I did agree my best option was to join as an officer.  I know the Geo Tech is a fairly obscure position and Geomatics is a relatively unknown subject so I understand why the recruiters I talked to couldn't give me a totally straight answer because of a number of different factors.

Are there officers working in a Geomatics related capacity?
If I were to apply as a DEO could I reasonably expect to work on Geomatics tasks/projects?

The recruiter I spoke with on the phone was a bit evasive on these subjects, and I've read a number of posts which indicate when you enlist you give your top 3 preferences(?) of what you'd like to be doing.  I have to admit I wouldn't even have a 2nd or 3rd preference.  If I were to join I'd like to be confident I'd be working within my field so that if I were to leave the military, I would be leaving with skills and experience within my chosen field.

Anyone with advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

aesop081

Re: GEO TECH qualifications?
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 17:37:47 »
I dont know about officers in geomatics but on the NCM side GEO TECH is only open for ocupational transfer by serving CF members.  If a recruiter told you different....he's out to lunch.

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2005, 17:47:21 »
Officers working in Geomatics are a small sub-group of Combat Engineers. You would have to start in that classification, and hope to eventually move into one of the Geomatics positions.

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/media/pdf/24_en.pdf

Offline Pieman

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 17:52:52 »
If you have not seen it already, this video is probably of interest:

http://www.armee.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1_1.asp?id=685
Graffiti in regimental toilet stalls: The official guide to troop moral....apparently.

“Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.” - Professor Farnsworth

TRH

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 12:50:32 »
Ok well I just spoke with another recruiter who informed me that Geo Techs are consodered on a case by case basis.  If I have a degree and am working in that occupation outside the military I can be considered.  So I'm going for it.   :threat:

Offline SF

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2005, 10:39:12 »
I am a member of 3FES and the unit would more than happy to answer any of you  questions about remustering. Just call the orderly room.

Chimo!

Offline K9Searcher

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2005, 13:19:49 »
The trade is an Occupational Transfer.  However, reservists have become regular force geotechs if they hold a related degree and are currently serving in the reserves.  There is a reserve geotech trade that is been up and running for almost a year now with 3FES in Ottawa.  As for officers, it is not totally necessary to be an engineer.  There have been numerous Air force Officers and there is currently an Artillery Major employed in leadership roles.

Offline a_beautiful_tragedy

• these knuckles break before they bleed
  • Rate Post
Geographic Information System Technician
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2006, 09:58:34 »
does anyone have any information on this trade,i know that it is a 17 month course and i know its not a direct entry trade, you already have to be moc qualified and then transfer, but can anyone maybe if there is even someone of this trade in here, please tell me what you do ?
thank you  :cdn:

aesop081

Re: Geographic Information System Technician
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2006, 10:14:34 »
does anyone have any information on this trade,i know that it is a 17 month course and i know its not a direct entry trade, you already have to be moc qualified and then transfer, but can anyone maybe if there is even someone of this trade in here, please tell me what you do ?
thank you  :cdn:

I dont think we have any GEO Techs on this board.  Not many of those guys to begin with.  I used to work with a few of them.  We had a group of them come to all the camps in Kosovo to do surveys.

Offline BreechBlock

• Rate Post
Geo Tech 142
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2006, 11:28:06 »
Trying to find out information on trade Geo Tech 142.

Went to CFRC about CT and they knew very little about the trade, gave me a web site and said look for yourself.

Looking for:
Prereqs, can I keep my leadership qual, what the course is like, after course job postings, etc

Am an infantry Sgt (reserve) 17 years.  ~5 years full time.

Appreciate any help

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: Geo Tech 142
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2006, 11:35:29 »
If you are Reg and have a PLQ, you do not loose that qualification.  While on Crse and OJT, you will probably be reduced in Rank (probably to Cpl) if you have a higher rank.  You will not have to redo a PLQ again to be promoted MCpl after you have met the time and skills required in your new Trade progression.  If you were a higher rank, you will maintain that pay, until such time as the pay in your new rank, in the new Trade, catches up to it and passes it (Vested Rights).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 11:40:31 by George Wallace »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Regimental Headquarter Staff
Re: Geo Tech 142
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2006, 11:36:12 »
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer