Author Topic: Geomatics Technician (merged)  (Read 41893 times)

aesop081

Re: Geomatics Technician
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2012, 23:35:11 »

I'm more than likely going to give the recruiting centre a call this week,

CFRC has nothing to do with your potential CT. Further to that, showing "accepting applications" does not mean any positions are available for internal transfers. There may or may not be as most trades establish intake numbers specific to various entry plans.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 23:39:16 by CDN Aviator »

Offline dh101

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2012, 23:45:52 »
I know that CFRC does not deal with CT's, however, they would still have information on the trade

Offline MeatheadMick

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2012, 00:33:49 »
I knew a member in PRETC who was awaiting his Geotech course. He got promoted to Cpl after basic, and he had a degree in something to do with topography and mapping. He said the trade was small, mostly posted to Ottawa and worked with Sr. Officers.

Take this with a grain of salt, since I don't really know anything about the trade, and as a PRETC, I'm sure he wasn't completely sure either.

-- “There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.”

Sir Winston Churchill

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2012, 00:43:01 »
I know that CFRC does not deal with CT's, however, they would still have information on the trade

If you watch the video on the forces site it tells you what you need to know, a LONG training delta, very strong math and computer skills are the big things.  Only thing missing is you need really high CFAT scores (out of NCM occupations Geo Tech and Flight Engineer require the highest scores), particularly in the problem solving arena.  The CFRC will review your previous CFAT scores (if you did the CFAT) and advise you if you need to take the CFAT again or not.  They will also conduct your interview.  But like CDN Aviator said, the SIP for off the street and CT-Untrained maybe quite different (if you have access to the DWAN you can check yourself). 

Offline methionine

• Rate Post
Re: Geomatics Technician (merged)
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2015, 14:46:25 »
Anyone recently apply for Geotech?

I've heard mixed things. Either it is really hard to get in due to the few position hiring per year or that it is hard up for applicants given the program length and the relativly low pay compared with the civilian sector for someone with the same qualifications. I've also heard it requires one of the highest scores on the CFAT.

I've applied for this trade, haven't heard much from recruiting as of yet.

Also, anyone able to go into more detail about the possible postings in Italys and Florida (as of now the video on the "jobs" page only mentions Italy). Where? How does one get these postings? The nature etc.

Thanks,

Offline HULK_011

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2015, 15:13:51 »
I've heard mixed things. Either it is really hard to get in due to the few position hiring per year or that it is hard up for applicants given the program length and the relativly low pay compared with the civilian sector for someone with the same qualifications. I've also heard it requires one of the highest scores on the CFAT.

I dont know what the quote is this year for the Geomatics course, but they are substantially smaller. And they seem to be going almost 90% with Occupational Transfers. As for the pay; I would argue unless you have a degree in Geography, with a minor in Geomatics, and you have several years in the industry, then yes the pay may not be comparable if you are entering from civy street.

But if you dont have a Geomatics diploma, the program pays you a very good salary and pays for your education. You get paid as private going to school more than an OCdt will getting there degree. So that comparison is utter hog wash. You have to be pretty damn good to get paid better than a GeoTech does with there spec pay.

Also, anyone able to go into more detail about the possible postings in Italy's and Florida (as of now the video on the "jobs" page only mentions Italy). Where? How does one get these postings? The nature etc.

I dont believe there are any postings to Florida. There are postings to Italy, England and I believe Belgium. But thats off the top of head for out of Canada postings. Dont wrap your head around those. Most of those are very high level postings that would require you to pass your course and have quite a bit of experience. Not only that, I assume they are highly competitive. They are things to think about working towards, but definitely not a reason to be signing the paperwork.

Hope that helps.

Offline methionine

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2015, 15:34:07 »
Thanks for the reply.

As far as the comparison, I made it based on my experience working up north for Gold/Silver exploration camps. There was a shortage of qualified Geomatics/GIS individuals and the ones who did go made very good money. My cabin mate had a GIS diploma and was making considerably more money than me, doing based surveying and GIS work in the arctic tundra. He spoke very highly of the job prospects. Don't get me wrong, the CAF pays well compared to other armed forces, and I assume if your trying to join the military pay is not one of the reason high on the list as why, so it may be a null point to begin with.

Of course, this does not equate to all aspects/applications of geomatics/GIS.

As far as I understand it, the trade used to be only occupational transfer, only recently open for "non-skilled" entry, I could be wrong though. I'm trying to get in for Geomatics Technician, have never been in the CAF before.

I've read some things on this forum stating that you need to score quite highly on the CFAT as well to be considered.

Offline HULK_011

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2015, 16:06:10 »
Any work that is done in austere locations is going to pay well. From what I have seen the CF pays the same or higher for the layman when it comes to GIS. And you are also forgetting the other benefits. Not many companies that will provide you 6 weeks of paid vacation, Medical dental and the flexibility that the CF gives you if crap happens in life. Those benefits may be hard to quanitfy, but they are a huge consideration.

But all of that is just my 2 cents.

As for direct entry, the last two courses had 4 direct entries between them, and all of them except for one had previous Geo education. So I imagine its not easy to get in at all. As for the CFAT I dont know. I was expecting to have to redo my CFAT when I OT'd, but was extremely surprised when I scored high enough. And I have zero post secondary at all for what its worth. But thats not saying the CFAT is low for that trade. I just circled the right letters on the test is my guess.

Offline methionine

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2015, 19:09:23 »
Conceded, pay in the remote areas will always be higher. Even a general laborer was getting paid some 230 a day.

Hmm, still hoping I can manage to get a job offer for the trade.

Offline methionine

• Rate Post
Where do the Geotechs stay?
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2015, 19:26:19 »
During their 20month at Algonquin College, where do they stay?

I have searched around but haven't found any answer.

Thanks.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Where do the Geotechs stay?
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2015, 19:26:53 »
On the economy.  There are no quarters.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline methionine

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2015, 20:12:04 »
I don't know what that means.

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Regimental Headquarter Staff
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2015, 20:17:51 »
Means they pay for their place to stay along with food....
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline methionine

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2015, 21:13:36 »
Thanks,

Just in case anyone is interested, I did a bit of quick research.

Residence at Algonquin college is between $7210 and $7360 depending upon whether its paid in full as one payment, or over the course of three payments. This price is for the academic year, which runs, they say, from September too April. So, for these 8 months it works out to about $900/month. On top of that, a mandatory meal plan is imposed upon first year students living in residence, these plans range from $2000/academic year($250/month) to $3860/academic year(482.5/month). All included, costs for rent/food range from $1151.25/month to 1402.5/month.

So, a Private with pay level 1 and pay increment 1 makes $2860/month. This means that he/she will net $2423.33/month ($29,080/year if your interested) after taxes. After taxes/residence fees that leaves between $1020.83/month and $1272.08/month (basically depending on how much you want to eat, as the price difference really comes in the meal plans.

Now, with doing a search of craigslist and Kijiji, it seems that the average price for a room in a shared house adjacent too the college is $500/month, give or take a bit. In most postings, this includes utilities/internet, although not in all. I currently live in Vancouver and find I spend about $250/month on food for myself.

So, a private with pay level 1 and pay increment 1 makes $2860/month and nets $2423.33/month. $2423.33 - ($500 + $250) = $1673.33, whats left at the end of the month.

This does not take into account any subsidization and/or tax breaks one might receive from the military, as I am not aware there are any for this particular situation. I'm curious as to how these numbers compare with living on an Army base like, say, Petawawa.

Offline Robert0288

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2015, 03:22:19 »
Take a look at some of the bus routes that go directly to the college.  There's a lot of them that go fairly often.  Meaning on most days you can bus there within 30m from anywhere downtown, west of the Rideau river, Kanata and heading eastward, or barhaven and heading north.  That's about a quarter of the city, and you can find some pretty cheap rent if that is your geographic area.

Offline Capt. Happy

• Every day is Monday in the Engr Corps
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2015, 19:28:45 »
They most likely receive an allowance to live on the economy that would cover their rent and food. It would not surprise me if MCE had a contract with a local rental agency.

Offline HULK_011

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2015, 20:41:25 »
They most likely receive an allowance to live on the economy that would cover their rent and food. It would not surprise me if MCE had a contract with a local rental agency.

No, and No.

Offline donaldk

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2015, 22:05:16 »
Thanks for the thread guys, my brother had the same questions as he is facing a COR and is looking at the GeoTech trade.  Hopefully he gets to keep his Cpls.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2015, 22:40:36 »
In an OT, Cpl is the highest unprotected rank; he will keep his rank.

Indeed, even if he was a higher rank, and was undergoing a compulsory OT, he would revert to the rank of Cpl, but retain his prior pay level.

On the other hand, a voluntary OT will revert to Cpl and move to the Cpl pay scale.

Or, in one case I know, a Major entered the in-service legal officer training plan.  Forgot to mention to 9D that he would revert to Captain.  She discovered this on payday, when the deposit was smaller than usual.  "Oh, didn't I mention that?"
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline methionine

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2015, 00:54:08 »

I have been told no. When you show up, you basically need to have a place to stay.

I spoke to the recruiter again yesterday and he didn't make it sound like my chances of getting into the Geomatics trade were very high. Not based on my personal application, just as a numbers game.

Offline Capt. Happy

• Every day is Monday in the Engr Corps
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2015, 06:44:13 »

No, and No.

Wait. Is this a posting, and not TD?

Offline HULK_011

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2015, 08:01:03 »
Correct, it is a posting.

Offline methionine

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2015, 23:39:00 »
What is the contract length for Geo techs?

Offline Cabral

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2015, 18:08:11 »
Got my offer for Geo Tech a few weeks ago. I get re-enrolled on the 29th of July and travel to Ottawa on Aug 1st. I was instructed to secure a place to live on my own so no they will not provide you a place to live. Luckily I will be getting my old pay grade so I wont have to pinch any pennies.

Anyone else starting at Algonquin in August?

EDIT** contract length is 6 years
Live for nothing, Die for something.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when my fear is gone I will turn and face fears path, and only I will remain.

I fart in the bathtub and bite at the bubbles.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2015, 18:24:30 »
If you are single, move into their Residences if you can, and stay away from the apartments near the campus which are within five minutes walk.  Those are for the most part slums.  The Residences on the campus are fairly new and in good shape.  If you don't want to live on their campus, find a place near OC Tranpo, as there is an OC Transpo Transitway that serves the campus.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.