Author Topic: AESOp ( MOC 081)  (Read 481443 times)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Re: AESOp ( MOC 081)
« Reply #1050 on: November 18, 2018, 22:51:29 »
Hey guys, something incredible happened today. I started basic last October (2017) after accepting my offer to AC Op, and completed basic 1 Feb 18. Well, immediately after getting out of basic and clearing in to Trenton I put in a VOT-U for AESOp (just in case) and to CMBT ENG, as it was what I was initially interested in. Well, I've been on my current DP1/QL3 course for 3 months now, and have just under a month to go, and today I got my confirmation from Ottawa that my transfer went through to AESOp!

I'm beyond excited. I hope to see some of you guys in person in the following months, but for now I have to get the paper work done and I'll be heading back to Trenton.

I missed this post way back in the summer...how is the VOT-U going?  Get any courses dates or anything yet?
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline Jokerniemi

• Rate Post
« Reply #1051 on: November 19, 2018, 11:05:07 »
Sea Survival will cover the survival pattern, equipment, and survival topics such as first aid, signalling, food and water, etc and obviously some water time.  If you're in the water, you're wearing an issued LPUC (Life Preserver Universal Carrier) the whole time.  You're also in a wet suit.

Water time will basically consist of simulating a ditching (forced landing over water), where you take all the info and lessons you've been given, and with your coursemates you'll inflate, enter and then get familiar with life in a 10 man life raft for a specific amount of time.

If the water is calm, the staff will use the crashboat to generate a sea state.   :nod:

Along with that, you will do the 'outside the raft' portion which will likely consist of flipping, washing out, and righting the raft, followed by forming human rafts and a chain-swim as a group with the raft in tow.

It's very safe, controlled and I really enjoyed the course.  The initial course is taught (or was when I did mine) at Quadra (IVO CFB Comox) so the water temps are more forgiving then they would be on the east coast (in the fall atleast, when I did mine).  Since then, my Annual wet ditch training has always been conducted in the pool at the Wing.

All AES Ops must do Sea Survival; those going Martime Helicopter also have to complete RUET (Rotary Underwater Egress Training).  That is a little more challenging.

SeaKing RUET:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7sgaq_wBrA

Cyclone RUET:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J86G7GIxECA

Thank you so much for your quick and detailled answer ! I really enjoy reading your posts, always give lots of info to get excited about.

I applied for a CT 2 months ago from NAVRES and I can't wait to get an answer :)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #1052 on: November 19, 2018, 17:55:20 »
Thank you so much for your quick and detailled answer ! I really enjoy reading your posts, always give lots of info to get excited about.

I applied for a CT 2 months ago from NAVRES and I can't wait to get an answer :)

Don't mention it.  The AES Op trade is very small;  we don't have many people at CFRCs and, honestly, outside of the MH and LRP communities, not a lot of people have any real idea on what we do in the AES Op trade.  This forum can help fill the info gap for people interested in what we do.

Good luck with your CT...not sure what the CT timelines are like but patience is a requirement. 

Offline Jokerniemi

• Rate Post
« Reply #1053 on: November 19, 2018, 20:14:32 »
Don't mention it.  The AES Op trade is very small;  we don't have many people at CFRCs and, honestly, outside of the MH and LRP communities, not a lot of people have any real idea on what we do in the AES Op trade.  This forum can help fill the info gap for people interested in what we do.

Good luck with your CT...not sure what the CT timelines are like but patience is a requirement.

Do you happen to know what is the new training sequence for AESOPs ? I heard that Soldier qual is not given anymore (replaced by BMQ-Land ?).

I would be interested to know in general what notions are taught during the courses and how long do they last ?

Thanks again :)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #1054 on: November 19, 2018, 21:41:23 »
Do you happen to know what is the new training sequence for AESOPs ? I heard that Soldier qual is not given anymore (replaced by BMQ-Land ?).

I would be interested to know in general what notions are taught during the courses and how long do they last ?

Thanks again :)

AES Ops don't do SQ/BMQ-L.

This should still be fairly accurate:  https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,22838.msg1235490.html#msg1235490

* note - the 2 course that used to be completed in Winnipeg (BAQC and IAQC) are now 1 course.  I can't remember the name of it now, but there is one of the instructors from Winnipeg on the forum, he might be by and give you info on the way things currently happen in Winnipeg.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 21:44:25 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline Eagle Eye View

• Rate Post
« Reply #1055 on: November 19, 2018, 22:06:25 »
The course in Winnipeg is BAQC. As mentioned above, it’s now one course of approximately 6 months. Before you start BAQC, you’ll probably complete a few courses (Land survival, AMT, Sea Survival and BEW).
Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.

John F. Kennedy

Offline Jokerniemi

• Rate Post
« Reply #1056 on: November 20, 2018, 18:37:36 »
AES Ops don't do SQ/BMQ-L.

This should still be fairly accurate:  https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,22838.msg1235490.html#msg1235490

* note - the 2 course that used to be completed in Winnipeg (BAQC and IAQC) are now 1 course.  I can't remember the name of it now, but there is one of the instructors from Winnipeg on the forum, he might be by and give you info on the way things currently happen in Winnipeg.

Thank you once again !

I'm in the process of preparing for my BPSO interview that should be in the incoming year. Would you mind if we communicate by private messages so that I can ask you a few questions ?

Eagle Eye View : Thanks for the precision :)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #1057 on: November 20, 2018, 23:38:18 »
Thank you once again !

I'm in the process of preparing for my BPSO interview that should be in the incoming year. Would you mind if we communicate by private messages so that I can ask you a few questions ?

Eagle Eye View : Thanks for the precision :)

Fire away...I'm bouncing between locations but will get back to you asap.

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #1058 on: December 01, 2018, 03:20:46 »
RCAF Comd officially announced in a QQ Town Hall that 7th crewmember on FWSAR will be AESOP.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #1059 on: December 01, 2018, 06:54:58 »
I'd heard *it was likely coming*.  Time to get knitting!   ;D

Offline Eagle Eye View

• Rate Post
« Reply #1060 on: December 01, 2018, 10:19:22 »
33 new positions will be added to the SAR Sqns.
Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.

John F. Kennedy

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1061 on: December 01, 2018, 11:22:46 »
I’ll be looking for a lead for this or next APS - any Sgts want a west coast posting?
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Online Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1062 on: December 01, 2018, 12:11:40 »
33 new positions will be added to the SAR Sqns.

The house of cards is going to collapse.   We all know the AES Op trade is trying to tread water with bricks tied to their feet.

Now this?

Don’t get me wrong, an AES Op most certainly should be on that SAR bird.   However it is going to be close to a decade before the AES Op trade is healthy in any community.   Perhaps they should rethink the outcan positions and take care of things at home first.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #1063 on: December 03, 2018, 07:43:16 »
I’ll be looking for a lead for this or next APS - any Sgts want a west coast posting?

I thought the first Snr NCO was in Comox already? 

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #1064 on: December 03, 2018, 09:13:33 »
The house of cards is going to collapse.   We all know the AES Op trade is trying to tread water with bricks tied to their feet.

Now this?

Don’t get me wrong, an AES Op most certainly should be on that SAR bird.   However it is going to be close to a decade before the AES Op trade is healthy in any community.   Perhaps they should rethink the outcan positions and take care of things at home first.

Revisiting OUTCAN would just be a start.  Can we spare NCOs and WOs right now to CFLRS?  CFEWC?  Leitrim?  Etc?  IF we can't put qualified operators on every crew the RCAF requires a sensor op...why do we have all these other billets manned and not flying ones? 

Years ago...I called this;  I said there would be AES ops manning sensors on the FWSAR at the end of the day.  Where these 33 people will come from...I have no idea.  MH needs bodies to stay alive, LRP needs bodies to stay alive...the people who are the tape holding it together at the Sqns now and the last few years are pretty effin tired of 'being the tape'. 

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1065 on: December 03, 2018, 10:34:21 »
Where these 33 people will come from...I have no idea.

Probably from the same place as the additional Pilots and Techs for the additional new-to-us Australian F18s.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #1066 on: December 03, 2018, 12:32:39 »
I forgot about that resource pool just waiting to be tapped into  ;D

Offline Air_Bourne

• Rate Post
« Reply #1067 on: December 03, 2018, 13:19:31 »
I just recently got added to the competition list for AES Op , reading this I am excited to hear of the changes and new opportunities available, hoping this will increase the number of people hired this upcoming fiscal year :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 13:29:05 by Air_Bourne »
Work hard in silence , let your success be the noise

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #1068 on: December 03, 2018, 13:28:59 »
I don't think it will change hiring/entrance standards into the trade.

Offline Air_Bourne

• Rate Post
« Reply #1069 on: December 03, 2018, 13:30:50 »
Defiantly understand , i miss typed ( hoping they will hire more people this year into the trade )

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #1070 on: December 03, 2018, 13:32:35 »
I think they'll only "hire" as many as they can train.  Good luck in your application...we need people who want to fly so if you get in...hopefully you understand the Airborne part of our trade name means flying!   ;)

Offline Air_Bourne

• Rate Post
« Reply #1071 on: December 03, 2018, 13:39:20 »
Thanks Eye In The Sky :) I am EXTREMELY excited about the opportunity, being Airborne and the trade in general . This forum had been a great help with educating me on what to expect (name is just a play on a family name ;))

Offline Jokerniemi

• Rate Post
« Reply #1072 on: December 03, 2018, 15:01:41 »
Defiantly understand , i miss typed ( hoping they will hire more people this year into the trade )

Same here brother !  :christmas happy:

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #1073 on: December 03, 2018, 15:21:01 »
Don't get my wrong, I'd hire everyone who qualified and put them thru Winnipeg if it was up to me...the thing is, I know Winnipeg can only put thru a fixed amount of students per course and courses per year right now and we need that pipeline to produce more AES Op - Jnr's...that means cutting more NCOs from the line sqn's and they are hurting for flyers too...

Not a problem for aspiring AES Ops to worry about...but one you might have to deal with 4-5 years into your flying career as a young energetic Master Corporal...

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1074 on: December 03, 2018, 18:32:32 »
I thought the first Snr NCO was in Comox already?

He's at the schoolhouse - I'll be looking for a Sgt (not a WO) to be AESOP lead for the operational SAR sqn out here.

When it comes to staffing these positions - it's easy, SAR Sqns are Priority A IAW direction from HHQ, therefore MH and LRP just do without.  :-)

Per Ardua Ad Astra