Author Topic: AESOp ( MOC 081)  (Read 576557 times)

Offline willellis

• Rate Post
Re: AESOp ( MOC 081)
« Reply #325 on: November 29, 2009, 20:03:56 »
Hey folks. Thanks for the feed back! I have been made aware that AESop is now offered for direct entry, however, I do not have the math skills to be considered at this time. I don't want to say that I am settling for NESop, because I am not. I truly believe that for the bare minimum, I will be happy for my first contract. I believe it is still 4 years, is it not? Anyways, like I said, NESop is not a fall back plan, but rather my own entry plan. IMO, I will have a hard time making the direct entry cut for 2010 based on my math skills, so I am going to enjoy my stint in the Navy, learn all that I can about the equipment and procedures of being an operator, and enjoy the travel. I will also learn as much as I can from the AESops on board. It's always nice to hear it from the horses mouth, as they say. I will also use what little free time I get and upgrade my math to a level that is well above the minimum requirements. As Crow mentioned, this will have to be something that I do rather quickly, as it is vital to both trades.

Sky Eye, thanks for the sound advise. I am not a kiss ***, but I do work my bag off when tasks are handed out. I hope that will suffice on my PER's

Dolphin and Trigger, I was aware, but I appreciate the heads up.

I have always loved the ocean and believe that it will be a great time, but like I said, my heart is in the sky. I think that doing all of the above mentioned will help prepare me for life as a AESop. Especially if I get posted as part of an air detachment on a ship! All I want to do at this point in my life is get in ASAP. I am 25 now, so I figure that I have plenty of time ahead to change my career plan. Thanks again all.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 20:08:01 by willellis »

Offline HFXCrow

• Rate Post
« Reply #326 on: December 01, 2009, 16:16:31 »
As a NESOP your math skills need to be at the same level as an AESOP.
Enjoying the ride and doesn't want to get off

Offline willellis

• Rate Post
« Reply #327 on: December 02, 2009, 01:31:42 »
They do, but the basic requirements for entry to NESop do not require the same level of math that AESop does. I was told that this is due to the fact that there are so few people applying for NESop vs. AESop, so in order to attract more applicants, they dropped the standard. And my mathematic abilities are at an acceptable level, just not on paper yet. Something that I will remedy ASAP.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #328 on: December 02, 2009, 07:59:53 »
I don't know about NES Op, I don't believe they "dropped the standard as not enough people were applying".  However, recently (in the past year, lets say) the CFAT score requirements for AES Op were adjusted as part of the Direct Entry 3 year trial program.

Offline HFXCrow

• Rate Post
« Reply #329 on: December 02, 2009, 16:40:48 »
The NESOP trade has a Grade 10 requirement on the recruiting engraph unfortunately this misleading based on the Math 1030 package completion in DP1.

Offline willellis

• Rate Post
« Reply #330 on: December 02, 2009, 21:07:20 »
I don't know about NES Op, I don't believe they "dropped the standard as not enough people were applying".  However, recently (in the past year, lets say) the CFAT score requirements for AES Op were adjusted as part of the Direct Entry 3 year trial program.

I would say that this explanation makes more sense. This just raises another question for me to take to the recruiting office however. Perhaps one of you fine members could grace me with the answer first. Can the CFAT results be used to determine a candidates suitability in lieu of the education requirements, and can these results be equal as the actual requirements?

Offline willellis

• Rate Post
« Reply #331 on: December 02, 2009, 21:11:41 »
The NESOP trade has a Grade 10 requirement on the recruiting engraph unfortunately this misleading based on the Math 1030 package completion in DP1.

Hey Crow, I am just wondering what the Math 1030 is equal to in the civi world. Grade 11, 12? Also, as I was asking in my last post about the CFAT, could this course be used to satisfy the educational requirements of the CF?

Offline willellis

• Rate Post
« Reply #332 on: December 02, 2009, 21:17:42 »
Oh, I was also wondering if there are going to be any Chinook variations that will require AESops.

aesop081

« Reply #333 on: December 02, 2009, 21:27:18 »
Can the CFAT results be used to determine a candidates suitability in lieu of the education requirements,

For AES Op..........NO !!
You must meet both the required CFAT score and the minimum educational requirement.

Period.

Offline willellis

• Rate Post
« Reply #334 on: December 02, 2009, 21:29:27 »
Figured that was the case.... :(

Offline Lard of the Dance

• Rate Post
« Reply #335 on: December 15, 2009, 15:21:33 »
NESOP and AESOP are 2nd cousins in regards to transferable skills.
The only piece of advice I can give for both, is that your math skills have to be closed up.

If you fall behind in your academics, the slogan nobody gets left behind unfortunately does not apply.

UMMM?.............NO!

Offline willellis

• Rate Post
« Reply #336 on: December 15, 2009, 19:54:56 »

• Rate Post
« Reply #337 on: December 15, 2009, 21:36:17 »
To which part?

To all.  Will elaborate more when I have more time. Cheers.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #338 on: December 15, 2009, 22:32:08 »
Oh, I was also wondering if there are going to be any Chinook variations that will require AESops.

No.

Offline willellis

• Rate Post
« Reply #339 on: December 16, 2009, 19:39:37 »

• Rate Post
« Reply #340 on: December 17, 2009, 13:56:15 »
NESOP and AESOP are 2nd cousins in regards to transferable skills.
The only piece of advice I can give for both, is that your math skills have to be closed up.

If you fall behind in your academics, the slogan nobody gets left behind unfortunately does not apply.

I'll elaborate now. I strongly disagree with the idea that AES ops are kin to NESOPs, not meant to offend. The idea that people get left behind is not quite accurate. BAC is not Mad Max at the Thunder Dome, "two men enter, one man leaves"!  8 "candidates" start the course, and the 2 things that will earn a set of wings for your chest are, get ready for this, PERSONAL DRIVE and TEAM WORK. And by team work, I mean the entire course working together in the lounge to ensure that every candidate is on the same level, or as close as possible. If you are applying, take note of this advice and the advice of AES ops. Cheers, and if you have any questions at all about the trade then fire away, there are several AES ops on this forum.

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #341 on: December 17, 2009, 21:59:51 »
Mad Max at the Thunder Dome sounds pretty close to what I experienced at CFANS, 8 entered and 4 limped out.

Offline robbiewho?

• Rate Post
  • "Are you hurt? Or are you injured?"
« Reply #342 on: December 18, 2009, 00:53:03 »
Quick question since this is the main AESOp forum:

I read earlier (2004 post) that trig and some algebra was requiered to be a successful AESOp on course. However when I wrote my CFAT I qualified for the trade and am guessing that is based on my spacial analysis score. However I have my grade 12 Graduate math which did not include trig.

Am I going to struggle trying to get through this course based on the math?

Don't hold back because I would like to know as math is not my forte
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 01:01:36 by robbiewho? »
If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs, you may have misjudged the situation

aesop081

« Reply #343 on: December 18, 2009, 01:19:52 »
Am I going to struggle trying to get through this course based on the math?

The math on course has changed over time. it is not like it was when i went through. That being said here it is :

Do you have the minimum grade 12 education with grade 10 academic math ?

Theres a reason why we ask for this as a minimum and not grade 12 trig......
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 01:37:23 by CDN Aviator »

Offline robbiewho?

• Rate Post
  • "Are you hurt? Or are you injured?"
« Reply #344 on: December 18, 2009, 10:12:20 »
I do not have Academic Grade 10 Math, just the graduate level. However my recruiter told me that I met the minimums for AESOp and I double checked with him stating that I only had the graduate course. He dissapeared for a few minutes to check and he confirmed I met the minimums.

What would a math question look like on course?
If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs, you may have misjudged the situation

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #345 on: December 18, 2009, 11:00:49 »
In my previous post, I was going to mention something regarding the NESOP vs AES Op similarities.  I don't think I am stretching it any when I say that every trade in the Naval Ops Room has something that ties into the AES Op trade.  NCIOP, SONAR OP (or whatever they are called this week) and NES Op's all perform jobs on the ship that are similar to the jobs performed by an AES Op.

That being said, and I know its been said before, having one of those trades as a background will not make your time at 1 CFFTS or as an AES Op any easier.  Nearly every trade has some skill that is transferable to the AES Op community, for example I damn near needed a Army - Air Force pocket translator (I can hear my Sgt talking, but he isn't making any sense) while doing a recent overland mission, that lingo isn't something you learn in the Navy.

Offline HFXCrow

• Rate Post
« Reply #346 on: December 18, 2009, 11:40:31 »
I said NESOP and AESOP were 2nd cousins in my post.  The trades have some similarities and my focus of the post was on the 1030 Math Package. (which you may have to do as an AESOP somewhere down the line)

this is directed to the 22 year old lad with "Boo Coo" experience.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 17:11:17 by HFXCrow »

Offline willellis

• Rate Post
« Reply #347 on: March 09, 2010, 20:14:48 »
Nice Crow.  ;)

Thanks everyone for all the insight and shared experiences. To give an update on my status, I have accepted a position as NES OP, and will re-do BMQ starting on the 15th of March, since it has been more than 5 years since I did it last. I am really excited on getting back in and look forward to being on ship. I hope that the air crew there will be able to aid me in my pursuit of the AES OP trade. Thanks again for the help fellas!

Offline trigger

• Rate Post
« Reply #348 on: April 02, 2010, 07:56:05 »
can a real aes op in the know confirm something for me? 

i have been trying my damnedest to get an ot over for a few years now. in fact, this year, i was practically convinced that it was happening.  (cotp i might add)  i am aware that over the last three weeks or so, offers started going out to applicants.  i didn't get one and i really don't think one's coming now.  and i haven't recieved a notice of non selection either, so far. i believe any number of reasons could have prevented it, but i have a hard time coming to grips with this particular situation, everything considered, with the research i've been doing:

i posed a question regarding ot's in the occupation transfer thread a couple months back.  my own trade is pretty hard up and i wanted to know where and when the two trades come together and let a member make a transfer.  the answer i got was that they, the powers that be, meet along about the same time and give the yay or nay.  that sounds believable enough.

a friend of my spouse's family, one who has an inside track so to speak, or the family likes to tell me anyhow, made a general inquiry just to see where things stood with me.  he got an answer that the aes op trade has cut back on their intake numbers this year in total and that is the reason i missed out.  and he believed that my current trade had "let me go". i go on aesoplounge.com and here all the time and in three years+ worth of reading, i've seen nothing but the opposite.  with the de/ct trial, uav, the new mh, the improved lrp a/c complete with new opportunities in the aso seats, etc etc, it just sounds too hard to believe, and in fact, there's seemingly more successful people this year than the last few posting on the lounge, that they made it, also opposite to this story.

so the question: did the aes op mos decide to cut back on their intake this year in any way?  i know we just passed the fy changeover which of course influences numbers plus or minus for new members but would this timing have affected a decision for occupation transfer(a decision likely made last year?)

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #349 on: April 02, 2010, 09:18:29 »
I think your "Shift Key" is broken.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.