Author Topic: AESOp ( MOC 081)  (Read 576046 times)

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: AESOp ( MOC 081)
« Reply #350 on: April 02, 2010, 10:27:54 »
Seriously, please capitalize properly. Your post is difficult and unpleasant to read. I stopped part way through.

Offline Oh No a Canadian

• Rate Post
  • Civvy looking to enlist in the near future
« Reply #351 on: January 05, 2011, 02:08:51 »
If one would prefer to be posted on the west coast would that be given consideration?

aesop081

« Reply #352 on: January 05, 2011, 09:40:59 »
If one would prefer to be posted on the west coast would that be given consideration?

Yes but not much consideration. You also have to understand that even if you get posted to the West coast, you will be moving somewhere else in a few short years. Postings are short and frequent.

niceasdrhuxtable

« Reply #353 on: January 05, 2011, 12:46:42 »

It's generally easier to stay on the East coast for an extended duration than it is in the West. It's very much possible that you could receive a West coast posting but rather unlikely you'd spend more than a single posting there consecutively.

Offline Oh No a Canadian

• Rate Post
  • Civvy looking to enlist in the near future
« Reply #354 on: January 05, 2011, 13:42:09 »
Thanks to both of you, not something I am going to base my decision off of just something that some up while to talking to family about it. If all goes as planned I will be taking the 5 min drive to CFRC Vancouver April 2012.

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #355 on: January 11, 2011, 01:07:19 »
When you seriously consider joining you should accept that you will never live close to home ever again. If you get lucky you might get posted back to your home province once for a four year tour.  I left the greater Toronto area in 1999 and haven't been back.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline trigger

• Rate Post
« Reply #356 on: January 11, 2011, 01:20:03 »
Hopefully that's not the case, at least for this trade, anyway. I grew up in Greenwood and have lived in Halifax pretty much since 94. If I ever make it through in the trade I'd hope I'd be able to come back home here for a little longer than 4 years. Maybe I better plan for the opposite.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 01:22:56 by trigger324 »

aesop081

« Reply #357 on: January 11, 2011, 09:53:21 »
Hopefully that's not the case, at least for this trade, anyway.

You will find that postings come hard and fast. For the trade to remain healthy, a steady stream of new folks is needed. That means that (relative) old farts like me have to leave the line units and take our experience to other jobs. All this is in line with AF objectives of having short first tours. Greenwood and Shearwater are more prone to longer stays as there are more possible postings but, you can get caught in the "vortex" and remain at those bases for a longer time than you would like. One has to be careful what they wish. Either way, if you wish to progress in the MOS, you will move.........

Offline willellis

• Rate Post
« Reply #358 on: January 21, 2011, 01:20:23 »
Hey guys. I have a few questions that I would like answered, if you could. I am just coming the end of my NES Op 3's and am definatly wanting to go AES Op (this has always been the plan). I excelled in the EM Theory and truly enjoy using all the sensor equipment that is carried by the Halifax class ships, so I know that I will love the trade change. I would like to know what the best method of making it into the trade might be. I was considering a COTP route, but I am not sure of the criteria for such a move. I also contemplated a VR followed by an application for the trade, but I am not confident in my civi qualifications for the math and science levels achieved in HS. What do you think I should do? Before anyone suggests asking my bosses, I would rather not step on any toes if possible.

On a further, and less important note, my family and I are from, and currently posted to, the west coast. What is the probability of the 407 for a first posting?

Thanks for the intel.

aesop081

« Reply #359 on: January 21, 2011, 01:52:37 »
As of the APS ( this summer), the MOS is full. That , IMHO, will lead to reduced intakes to cover for attrition.

COTP is rank of Cpl/LS with 48 Months of service.

There is no "best way" to get into the trade.

As far as a posting to 407 goes, it is one of many postings where we send new AES Ops and you are as likely to be sent to anyone of them. We are now sending fresh gradutes to ground jobs directly after graduations, so those getting a flying tour right off the bat should consider themselves lucky.

That being said, all are AES Op jobs and require motivated and competent individuals.

Offline willellis

• Rate Post
« Reply #360 on: February 19, 2011, 21:03:10 »
As of the APS ( this summer), the MOS is full. That , IMHO, will lead to reduced intakes to cover for attrition.

The DWAN still shows you are in the red? I am new so can you explain

COTP is rank of Cpl/LS with 48 Months of service.

Cool, thanks.

There is no "best way" to get into the trade.

As far as a posting to 407 goes, it is one of many postings where we send new AES Ops and you are as likely to be sent to anyone of them. We are now sending fresh gradutes to ground jobs directly after graduations, so those getting a flying tour right off the bat should consider themselves lucky.

What do you mean by ground jobs?

That being said, all are AES Op jobs and require motivated and competent individuals.

Thanks for the insight. Taker' easy.

Offline lonnieg3

• Rate Post
« Reply #361 on: March 07, 2011, 22:00:59 »
Hello everyone,

I've noticed that Aesop is now accepting recruits off the street. joy lol
So how is the ranking system going to work with those recruits? considering it use to be CPL's only through VOT.

Thanks

L.G

former Artillery 021, AVS 526 and now UTPNCM cadet in halifax.

aesop081

« Reply #362 on: March 08, 2011, 05:31:05 »
So how is the ranking system going to work with those recruits?

It works just like every other trade in the CF.

Pretty simple.

Offline lonnieg3

• Rate Post
« Reply #363 on: March 26, 2011, 16:17:28 »

It works just like every other trade in the CF.

Pretty simple.

That's a pretty helpful answer. You must work at a recruiting centre!
So by "every trade in CF" do you mean MP's and musicians as well? Since they get their CPL's after basic, or Pharmacists and Doctor's who usually go right to Captain and Major?.... but I'm sure you knew that. ;)

Can someone other then this guy clarify whether the recruits off the street going into the AesOP trade are going to be promoted to CPL after basic or their QL3's? Do they get promoted faster like the guys going through a VOT? or like the first reply, do they simply move up the chain as per usual?

Thank you to whoever properly answers this :)

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #364 on: March 26, 2011, 16:29:42 »
That's a pretty helpful answer. You must work at a recruiting centre!
So by "every trade in CF" do you mean MP's and musicians as well? Since they get their CPL's after basic, or Pharmacists and Doctor's who usually go right to Captain and Major?.... but I'm sure you knew that. ;)

Can someone other then this guy clarify whether the recruits off the street going into the AesOP trade are going to be promoted to CPL after basic or their QL3's? Do they get promoted faster like the guys going through a VOT? or like the first reply, do they simply move up the chain as per usual?

Thank you to whoever properly answers this :)

Sigh.  Like Cdn Aviator said- it works like every other trade in the CF.  As a direct entry candidate, once recruited, you will attend BMQ, then the Basic ASEOP Course.  If you pass, you get your wings and will be posted to a Sqn.  You will attend an Operational Training Unit to get qualified for your operational role.  You will be promoted to Cpl when you have the time in the CF (48 months? I'm working off memory) just like everyone else.  You will fly as a "no hook" Private, for at least some of your career.

However, since last time I looked AESOP was full, the point is moot, for now. 

aesop081

« Reply #365 on: March 26, 2011, 16:35:28 »

Can someone other then this guy clarify whether the recruits off the street going into the AesOP trade are going to be promoted to CPL after basic or their QL3's?

They do not get promoted after course. They are privates for 3-4 years. The VOT are CPLs and stay there unless they earn their promotion to MCpl by way of merit and nothing else, no more automatic promotions.

You must work at a recruiting centre!

No, i'm a AES Op senior NCO in an operational LRP squadron.

Anymore BS comments sunshine ?

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #366 on: March 26, 2011, 23:03:42 »
Sometimes I think questions are better answered in person, the last few posts would be much more entertaining had they occurred face to face.  :)

CDN Aviator is by far the most knowledgeable guy on the subject (on this board).

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #367 on: March 26, 2011, 23:27:26 »
Sometimes I think questions are better answered in person, the last few posts would be much more entertaining had they occurred face to face.  :)

CDN Aviator is by far the most knowledgeable guy on the subject (on this board).

Hey- what am I- chopped liver?  I was only your Flight Commander for what- 8 months?  :)

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #368 on: March 27, 2011, 10:14:56 »
It's PER season...  I have to find those extra points somewhere.  :)

aesop081

« Reply #369 on: March 27, 2011, 10:20:09 »
It's PER season...  I have to find those extra points somewhere.  :)

I'm not writting yours  ;D

Come to think of it, i escaped PER season.

Offline nickanick

• Rate Post
« Reply #370 on: May 31, 2011, 03:58:32 »
Does AESOp get spec pay?

Offline trigger

• Rate Post
« Reply #371 on: May 31, 2011, 06:14:44 »
yes, in due time, with all the usual prerequisites

Offline nickanick

• Rate Post
« Reply #372 on: September 21, 2011, 13:39:42 »
Can I ask, what are the trades that can be OT to AESop? Does it have to be another NCM air force trade?
Or it can either be the army or navy NCM position?

Offline trigger

• Rate Post
« Reply #373 on: September 21, 2011, 13:48:41 »
It can be any trade, and it doesnt matter which you're coming from, army navy or airforce.

Offline nickanick

• Rate Post
« Reply #374 on: September 21, 2011, 13:56:16 »
It can be any trade, and it doesnt matter which you're coming from, army navy or airforce.

Thank you for your immediate reply. But would trades like, e.g. AVN tech, NES op, have an advantage
in the merit list during the OT? Since they have a higher knowledge and skill about airframes or senor equipment
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 14:01:15 by nickanick »