Author Topic: AESOp ( MOC 081)  (Read 576553 times)

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Airborne Electronic Sensor Operator
« Reply #425 on: January 13, 2013, 09:39:48 »
17 pages here:  http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,22838.0.html

More info here:  http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,92781.0.html

Its AES Op, AESOP or AESOP. 

I know the Recruiting website has it listed as an "in demand" trade, but the trade has fairly good numbers right now so I wouldn't be surprised if you found out from the CFRC they aren't recruiting AES Ops now, or until 01 Apr.

They are taking internals though, I had a CT offer, right after accepted my current position here in the sandbox. 

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #426 on: January 16, 2013, 09:39:58 »
I guess, I was looking for a less specific answer. Can a civilian do the job, spec pay and all of that stuff aren't really what I was looking for. I was just wondering what the job is like and what the training is like from a high level. Like is it fun, what do you do, how often do you fly, what are the hours like, do you like your job, what kind of stuff do you do when you are flying and do you wish you picked a different trade? etc..

1.  To be an AES Op, you can't be a civilian.  You have to be in the CF, selected for and trained as an AES Op.

2.  The rest of your questions WRT to trg have already likely been answered or covered to the extent ppl are going to cover them on here, which is in general terms and not specific terms.  Not all of this stuff is unclassified.

3.  Job, hours, flying, etc there is no one answer.  What community are you in?  Are you with an OTU, an operational Sqn, perhaps a training establishment like 1 CFFTS?  Are you in a ground billet like WOps?  Teaching EW stuff at CFSAS?  HOTEF/MP & EU?  A project office?  Initial Cadre Training for a new system?

As a new AES Op, after Wings you can expect to *likely* go to a Maritime Helicopter Sqn or Long Range Patrol Squadron, complete the OTU/MOAT training, be put on a HelAirDet or Crew and complete a flying tour.  To get to that point, you're looking at approx. 3-4 years after beginning the recruiting process (using a very general time appreciation that could be shorter, or longer).  LRP guys may log more hours and more away trips than the MH types, but the MH types may fly more often or get more deployments. 

However...I think most ppl in the trade would tell you its an excellent trade (there is always someone who isn't happy, right?) , I've never heard of anyone OT'ing out to another NCM trade.  I know of a few AES Ops who have gone the Officer route from AES Op to ACSO. 

:2c:

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #427 on: January 16, 2013, 09:41:51 »
They are taking internals though, I had a CT offer, right after accepted my current position here in the sandbox.

Yup, COTP is open.  Not sure how many are being hunted for the 13/14 FY.  Did you accept with a deferred CT/OT date?

Offline peterpan

• Fallen Comrade
Re: AESOp ( MOC 081)
« Reply #428 on: January 16, 2013, 10:21:52 »
hey  zander1976 another site that you may find usefull and find all your questions is at www.aesoplounge.com there are a lot of questions answered and you can add more if needed....hopefiully that will help you out...and I am not sure if they closed the trade to civilians or not some say yes and others say no

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #429 on: January 16, 2013, 16:21:25 »
Yup, COTP is open.  Not sure how many are being hunted for the 13/14 FY.  Did you accept with a deferred CT/OT date?

Nope, I released (well sup res) since I can potentially be here in the sandbox for a few years (6 figure, tax free income, going to ride this gravy train as long as I can). 

But just to clarify AES Op is one to civilians off the street, it's fairly recent that this happened  http://www.forces.ca/en/job/airborneelectronicsensoroperator-8#education-2  it's actually right on the main page that it's an in demand occupation. 

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #430 on: January 16, 2013, 16:39:53 »
Right, I know that.   The DE trial started over 3 years ago.  Some of them were on my courses.

However, I am saying that I am surprised its an in demand trade, as the TES/PML #s are pretty good.  I wouldn't be surprised there are 2 or 3 Ext pos this FY.
You can apply as a civilian to the CFRC, but the question was "can you do the job as a civie".

I guess, I was looking for a less specific answer. Can a civilian do the job
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 16:42:32 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #431 on: January 16, 2013, 16:47:22 »
Right, I know that.   The DE trial started over 3 years ago.  Some of them were on my courses.

However, I am saying that I am surprised its an in demand trade, as the TES/PML #s are pretty good.  I wouldn't be surprised there are 2 or 3 Ext pos this FY.
You can apply as a civilian to the CFRC, but the question was "can you do the job as a civie".

Ah gotchya, I read these late at night for me. 

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #432 on: January 16, 2013, 18:05:38 »
Stick on the ice overthere.   :warstory:

Offline zander1976

• Rate Post
« Reply #433 on: January 16, 2013, 22:14:37 »
Thanks Peterpan. I am checking it out now.

Offline peterpan

• Fallen Comrade
« Reply #434 on: January 17, 2013, 08:48:27 »
I think what he meant about "can I do this job as a civie" is can a civilian apply to the military in the trade, or do you have to already be in the CF before he can apply to AESOp.

Offline moose34

• Rate Post
« Reply #435 on: February 20, 2013, 07:44:07 »
Good Morning all,

I am hoping that some of you will be able to answer my questions.  I have read through this entire thread, and it has been very informitable. 

I applied for a CT/OT to AES OP in Sept 12.  Was told right away to get my aircrew medical done as I had a chance to get a job offer and course loaded in Jan.  I wasn't able to get my medical done fast enough.  So now I'm hoping that I can get onto the next course in April.

The one question that I still have in my head is 1) What does the math test on the first day of course consist off? 2) Is there still a math test? and 3) After you get your wings, how much time would you have to participate in sports?  I ask this because I Officiate hockey on base and minor hockey in the city, and I would love to keep it up.  But it is definitely not going to prevent me from accepting an offer.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #436 on: February 21, 2013, 17:04:23 »

The one question that I still have in my head is 1) What does the math test on the first day of course consist off? 2) Is there still a math test?

That's 2 questions.  ;)  Maybe someone recently thru the 3s can verify, but the MATH PIP/test is no longer a part of the 3s or 5s courses (however, math skills are still needed). 

and 3) After you get your wings, how much time would you have to participate in sports?  I ask this because I Officiate hockey on base and minor hockey in the city, and I would love to keep it up.  Thanks in advance.

Shouldn't be a problem but will depend on some stuff like course requirements, flying schedule, deployments, etc.  But you'd be able to giver' aside from that. 

Good luck.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 17:21:54 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline moose34

• Rate Post
« Reply #437 on: February 22, 2013, 08:54:32 »
Good Morning,

Thank you for the information, appreciate it.

Offline Lardofthedance

• Rate Post
« Reply #438 on: February 22, 2013, 12:53:12 »
Why is it that the most common question is "is there math?!!" I belive the PIP and math portion that many of us had to do has been modified or cut from the course, but I can't promise that. BUT, if you are looking at joining the trade, a workable knowledge in mathematics is a good asset. Good luck, bonne chance and whatever they say in Finland.

Offline moose34

• Rate Post
« Reply #439 on: February 25, 2013, 10:07:51 »
Why is it that the most common question is "is there math?!!" I belive the PIP and math portion that many of us had to do has been modified or cut from the course, but I can't promise that. BUT, if you are looking at joining the trade, a workable knowledge in mathematics is a good asset. Good luck, bonne chance and whatever they say in Finland.

Thank you.

I do understand the need for math, I have no difficulty with math.  I was mearly just inquiring.  If there was a math test on the first day, and I didnt prepare the best that I could, and got RTU'd, I would be kicking myself for the rest of my life, lol.

Offline peterpan

• Fallen Comrade
« Reply #440 on: February 25, 2013, 12:54:49 »
Hey moose, there isn't a pre requisite math form you have to do before course starts, but it is good to brush up on some math as there is some formulas you have to do while on your 3's. And for getting in around April, I am not too sure, as they pick people in January for the April class

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #441 on: February 25, 2013, 17:53:55 »
  I ask this because I Officiate hockey on base and minor hockey in the city, and I would love to keep it up.

Lots of time for extra-curricular activities - where-ever you get posted.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline Wilamanjaro

• Rate Post
« Reply #442 on: March 04, 2013, 15:15:49 »
I'm looking into changing trades to AESOp, I was just wondering if I am correct about the training. 24 weeks in Winnipeg, another 20 something weeks in nova scotia, then posted to either Halifax or Victoria? And do the AESOps go away with the navy ships for months at a time or would we usually just stay on the coast?

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #443 on: March 04, 2013, 16:08:46 »
I'm looking into changing trades to AESOp, I was just wondering if I am correct about the training. 24 weeks in Winnipeg

Give or take;  BAQC (3s) is about 3 months,  IAQC (5s) is 50 trg day by the QS but could be longer depending on weather, aircraft, etc.  Call is 2.5 - 3 months.  Also, before you do the 5s, you have to do AMT (another week in Wpg).  Take into consideration that there could be a relatively short to relatively long pause between your 3s and 5s and that will add time to the equation (I only had a 1 week break, good in one way, bad in others).

Aside from that, there are some changes that AFAIK were proposed but am not sure if they are/will be implemented so won't mention at this time.  Suffice to say, it is the CF and things change constantly.

another 20 something weeks in nova scotia

For nice easy numbers to work with, figure on 6 months.

MOAT = Maritime Operational Aircrew Training, the next phase of trg for those going LRP (Aurora).  MOAT is out of 404 LRP & T in Greenwood.  You could end up being picked for Non-Acoustic Sensors Op *NASO*  or Acoustics Sensor Op *ASO* (commonly called "dry" and "wet"), and there are some differences in the trg within each specialty.

OTU = Operational Training Unit, the next phase of trg for those going MH (SeaKing). OTU is out of 406 (M) OTS in Shearwater.

Throw into the mix the Basic Lands Op Survival Course/Basic SERE crse (10 days) and Sea Survivial crse (3 days) at some point in time.

then posted to either Halifax or Victoria?

Those who go MH can expect to be posted to either 443 Sqn in Pat Bay (Victoria) BC or 423 Sqn in Shearwater.

Those who go LRP can expect to be posted to either 407 LRP in Comox BC or 405 LRP in Greenwood NS.

It is possible to not be posted to a flying position right out of Winnipeg after Wings.  There is a chance for ground jobs like Wing Ops, or other support jobs.  CFEWC (CF Electronic Warfare Center) outside Ottawa ON is also a possibility as well.

And do the AESOps go away with the navy ships for months at a time or would we usually just stay on the coast?

Aircrew are attached to a Helicopter Air Detachment (HelAirDet or AirDet) for a HMCS.  When the ship is alongside, the AirDet works out of the Sqn lines in Shearwater /Pats Bay.  If/when the ship deploys with the HelAirDet onboard, the AirDet pers are along for the trip, whether it is a short or long one.  Some could be a week or two, some could be 6+months. 

It is a great trade, with great people and leadership.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 16:35:08 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #444 on: March 04, 2013, 16:14:23 »
Another thing to remember is that the courses do not always line up, so it is possible that you could be sitting around for close to a year after your training in Winnipeg, while you wait for your MOAT/OTU.  (extreme cases, but I have seen it happen)

Offline peterpan

• Fallen Comrade
« Reply #445 on: March 04, 2013, 16:14:59 »
Yes, the training is approx. 24 weeks in Winnipeg which is ussually split  (so you will have some time to go home in between) between your 3's, 12 weeks and 5's, 12 + weeks as it may run longer because of weather or aircraft sevicability  , and there is about 20 or so weeks in either Halifax (sea king) or Comox (aurora), again just an estimate as it could and probably will run longer, depending on what platform you are chosen for. And yes, if you are sea king, you go where ever the ship goes, and gone as long as the ship is gone.

Offline peterpan

• Fallen Comrade
« Reply #446 on: March 04, 2013, 16:18:32 »
LOL..eye in the sky answered it a lot better then i did.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #447 on: March 04, 2013, 16:26:50 »
Another thing to remember is that the courses do not always line up, so it is possible that you could be sitting around for close to a year after your training in Winnipeg, while you wait for your MOAT/OTU.  (extreme cases, but I have seen it happen)

I know of 1 guy who waited so long just to get a crse load msg for the 3s, he got fed up and went back to his former trade.  It was approx a year waiting when he said 'done'.  Extreme case also, and was right at near the start of the DEA trial.

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #448 on: March 04, 2013, 16:28:31 »
I hope that trade was Postal Clerk, I couldn't imagine another NCM trade worth leaving for.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #449 on: March 04, 2013, 16:29:23 »
Bos'n  :nod: