Author Topic: AESOp ( MOC 081)  (Read 489069 times)

Offline Proud2BCanuck

• Rate Post
Re: AESOP - Question
« Reply #900 on: November 06, 2016, 16:03:53 »
No idea where he got the information from, I never asked. Good to know though, I wanted to clarify everything before I went in with false information.

Cheers,

:cdn: :remembrance:

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #901 on: November 06, 2016, 16:58:39 »
AES Ops were payload operators on the UAVs in Afghanistan and some are employed on UAVs (OUTCAN) now.

Tell your friend to stop licking lead pipes re: the CSAR BS.   :nod:
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Re: AESOp ( MOC 081)
« Reply #902 on: November 06, 2016, 17:02:12 »
The best way to find out what AES Ops do is to talk to actual AES Ops, not pilots and PSOs.

Good luck with the application!

Offline Medic88

• Rate Post
« Reply #903 on: November 22, 2016, 09:41:38 »
Eye In The Sky,

Are you permitted to provide us with the BAQC dates scheduled for 2017? If so, can you please post these dates and wheather the classes are full or not?

Thank you for all your contributions to this forum.

Regards,

Offline Eagle Eye View

• Rate Post
« Reply #904 on: November 22, 2016, 13:44:25 »
The only date I know so far is BAQC start on Jan 16. Not sure when the next one will be.
Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.

John F. Kennedy

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #905 on: November 23, 2016, 11:04:54 »
The only date I know so far is BAQC start on Jan 16. Not sure when the next one will be.

Eagle Eye View is the one to ask questions about Wings training in Winnipeg;  402 Sqn is the training establishment in the 'Peg that AES Ops do BAQC and IAQC (wings course) at.  As his profile shows, he is a Warrant Officer and Instructor at 402 Sqn.

I am a Line Sqn LRP type, so that's really my lane of knowledge   Dolphin Hunter has the pulse for current LRP post - Wings training stuff.   We're LRP Snr NCOs who get you after EEV gets to put you thru the ringer.   Then you go to DH's ringer.  Then you come to guys like me and become an official member of "The Pissed Off Wives and Disappointed Kids" club.   ;D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:56:17 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline Geo053

• GeoTech
  • Rate Post
« Reply #906 on: December 11, 2016, 23:17:10 »
Finished my land survival and head off to Winnipeg for my 3's which start on 16 Jan.
“Maps are essential. Planning a journey without a map is like building a house without drawings.”
― Mark Jenkins, The Hard Way: Stories of Danger, Survival, and the Soul of Adventure

“Maps are like campfires – everyone gathers around them, because they allow people to understand complex issues at a glance, and find agreement about how to help the land.”

– Sonoma Ecology Center, GIS/IS Program Web Site

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #907 on: December 12, 2016, 08:43:14 »
Good stuff.  Enjoy Christmas Leave, once you start the trg it can be demanding in more than one way.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #908 on: December 18, 2016, 16:58:38 »
AES Ops were payload operators on the UAVs in Afghanistan

Only on Heron.

Sperwer and Scan Eagle were Air Defence (4 AD Regt Royal Canadian Artillery) guys. The Scan Eagle crews (two-man) were all AD. Sperwer crews had a Tac Hel Mission Commander and AD AV Operator and Payload Operator, although at least one AVO (on my/the final Roto) was a Tac Hel Tech.

Door gunners on the left-hand side of the Griffons were Cbt Arms guys (mainly Infantry, but some may have come from the other Cbt Arms. Flight Engineers manned the right-side gun. The Chinooks' two forward guns were both manned by FEs, with a Cbt Arms guy operating the ramp gun.

Offline Wight.M

• Rate Post
AES OPS
« Reply #909 on: February 16, 2017, 17:10:04 »
Hey everyone,

I'm looking at going into AES OPS and the only information I can gather is on the forces.ca website.
Does anyone have any more information on the trade? I want to know what it looks like day to day. Like how often you're in the aircraft, what you're doing when you're not and anything other information.

Thanks  [:)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Re: AES OPS
« Reply #910 on: February 16, 2017, 17:51:11 »
Hey everyone,

I'm looking at going into AES OPS and the only information I can gather is on the forces.ca website.
Does anyone have any more information on the trade? I want to know what it looks like day to day. Like how often you're in the aircraft, what you're doing when you're not and anything other information.

Thanks  [:)

You'll find a LOT of info in the thread linked, have a read there and if there's anything else you didn't see and want to ask about, fire away.  I know myself and a few others have posted some pretty specific info in there on the Wings training and then life after at the next training phase, and finally the first little bit once you are posted to an operational Sqn.

Maybe try starting right about here   http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,22838.msg1199182.html#msg1199182 at reply # 419.  Ignore the first link in my reply, # 421 it is a link to the AES Op thread you're already in, but back to page 1.

You can skim thru and find the posts with information in them from people in the trade.  Right off the top of my head, there's myself, Dolphin_Hunter and Eagle Eye View who are all AES Ops who've posted a considerable bit of info.

How often you're flying can very.  My busiest month, I logged 112.3 hours (which requires a waiver to fly that much...it might not sound like much but it is), I've also had a month where I only flew 3.2 hours on a pilot training flight (basically doing take offs and landings, flying as the 4th crewman looking after the back end).  When not flying, we have a ton of qualifications to keep current, we do training and simulators, professional development courses, and quite a bit of time once you are a Top Category operator is spent developing junior operators and helping run a crew if/when you are appointed as a Lead AES Op on Sqn. 

There are both planned and last minute trips and deployments, launches if you are holding Standby, etc.  Its a good trade, its a busy trade.  If you're looking for Monday to Friday, 8 to 4 this ís likely NOT the trade for you.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 18:16:04 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline xoulliam

• Rate Post
« Reply #911 on: March 23, 2017, 22:42:25 »
Hello, Does anyone know when are the next courses? I'm currently waiting to go on the BAQC but haven't received a date yet.

Offline Eagle Eye View

• Rate Post
« Reply #912 on: March 24, 2017, 19:14:52 »
Next BAQC should start around mid-July with 12 students.
Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.

John F. Kennedy

Offline xoulliam

• Rate Post
« Reply #913 on: March 25, 2017, 08:26:55 »
Next BAQC should start around mid-July with 12 students.
Great! Thank you for the reply. Of course I will wait for the message to come in before anything.

Offline StoneRock

• Rate Post
« Reply #914 on: April 05, 2017, 19:21:00 »
Hey guys, first post. I'm currently going through the application process for AESOp (just finishing my last semester of high school). I've done everything and it looks like it's going well, I'm just waiting to get my medical cleared and hopefully everything is well and I'll be on the waiting list.

My question is: Is the contract length 7 years? During the interview I believe I was told it was 7 years but I'm not exactly sure whether the captain said it may be UP to 7 years or if it is in fact that length of time. The duration is not an issue, I'm just confirming as I would like to make sure I'm aware of all the information regarding the trade.

Thank you in advance.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #915 on: April 05, 2017, 20:19:56 »
I'd have to look to see if the TOS (Terms of Service) Sequence for our trade has changed.  It used to be a 5 year engagement for direct entry, I think.  I've sent a reminder to myself to check tomorrow and will update the current TOS Sequence for you.

Offline Northmar

• Rate Post
« Reply #916 on: April 06, 2017, 06:44:30 »
First post as well, so first off hello everyone.

StoneRock, I'm a DE AES Op that just finished BMQ back in January and currently on OJE in Greenwood. At least in my case and the other AES Op Jr I've talked to, our VIE is 7 years.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #917 on: April 06, 2017, 13:28:27 »
First post as well, so first off hello everyone.

StoneRock, I'm a DE AES Op that just finished BMQ back in January and currently on OJE in Greenwood. At least in my case and the other AES Op Jr I've talked to, our VIE is 7 years.

Sounds like good confirmation for DE VIE length and makes sense.  By the time you get thru training etc you'll be well into that engagement.

Hope you are being gainfully employed on the Wing; there's worse places to do OJE.   :nod:

Offline StoneRock

• Rate Post
« Reply #918 on: April 06, 2017, 16:23:41 »
Thanks for the help guys

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #919 on: April 07, 2017, 15:03:20 »
Took a look today at the relevant regulation, the current TOS Sequence for AES Op is VIE 7 / CE 5 / CE 5 / IE 25.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #920 on: April 21, 2017, 18:29:45 »
Just an update on the way ahead for the AES Op trade from a recruiting perspective;  recent years, there was more of a trend to take more Direct Entry (off the street, CFRC types) than either CT or VOT.  This is going to change, beginning this year.

VOTs (remusters) will be the group we take the largest % of new AES Ops from, as in *well over half* of all new AES Ops-Jrs will come from VOT applicants.  I know in recent years, there has been some people comment on here, or elsewhere, that even after the Direct Entry trial (officially I think it was 3 or 5 years long, so 2009 to 2011 or 2014) the intake numbers still seemed to lean towards DE applicants.  No more.  The trade is still taking Direct Entry applicants, but at a reduced number from previous years.  CT (UT) number remains unchanged (about 1 in 10 will come from CT).  I don't know why the CT numbers are low, but I'd hazard a guess that the CT process being broken and timely are huge factors...again, just my opinion.

For the folks who may have applied for VOT in recent years and not been selected, if you still are don't be hesitant to contact the W/BPSO office and enquire again about remustering to AES Op.  I haven't been keeping up to date on if the VOTP CANFORGEN is released, dates, all that stuff but if you have any questions, post them or PM me etc and I'll see what I can do to help you out with the process.  I am not a trade recruiter or anything, but I've been thru the hoops like the rest of the trade has and might have some advice.

Good luck to anyone who has or is planning on putting their VOT application in, CT or direct entry applicants...and yes, if you are selected you'll go thru the AES Op Aircrew Selection phase now, just as a heads up.  Don't let that scare you off though.

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
« Reply #921 on: April 21, 2017, 20:54:40 »
How many AES OP's are the forces looking to take in this year? Ive listed it as one of my choices. Is AES OP similar to NES OP curiculum wise? Sucks I missed the DE trial, Im coming back as a re-entry.
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #922 on: April 21, 2017, 21:03:52 »
I don't know the exact numbers but I would guess somewhere around 24 ish...as a WAG...no idea how are trg and employment is compared to NES OP.  I'd be completely guessing.

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #923 on: April 21, 2017, 21:15:29 »
How many AES OP's are the forces looking to take in this year? Ive listed it as one of my choices. Is AES OP similar to NES OP curiculum wise? Sucks I missed the DE trial, Im coming back as a re-entry.

No.

There are some similar tasks.  AES Ops are basically NCI Ops, Sonar Ops and NES Ops combined into one trade (that's the short answer).

We are like flying Swiss Army knives, don't forget your spork.

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
« Reply #924 on: April 21, 2017, 22:42:23 »
Thanks for the quick responses Eye and Dolphin. Just realized with 20/40 vision I'm a no go for AES OP. When I was in before I had 20/20 but I guess my vision has degraded pretty quick since then. Seems like a really fun trade, jealous of all who get in!
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.