Author Topic: AESOp ( MOC 081)  (Read 498552 times)

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
Re: AESOp ( MOC 081)
« Reply #1100 on: April 14, 2019, 12:10:38 »
Exciting times ahead for this trade, the ability to fly and NOT be a member of MAG.   
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #1101 on: April 14, 2019, 12:21:53 »
Exciting times ahead for this trade, the ability to fly and NOT be a member of MAG.

Let's be serious here.  MAG is like the mob - you never "really" leave    :nod:
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #1102 on: April 14, 2019, 14:17:04 »
you never "really" leave    :nod:

wha...wha...what?   :'(
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #1103 on: April 14, 2019, 15:58:08 »
wha...wha...what?   :'(

You mean no one from Comox has said the same about Greenwood?   ;)
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Jokerniemi

• Rate Post
« Reply #1104 on: April 14, 2019, 19:13:13 »

What is MAG ?  ???

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1105 on: April 14, 2019, 20:06:19 »
Maritime Air Group.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #1106 on: April 15, 2019, 20:52:46 »
Maritime Air Group.

Wow, it only seems like yesterday that Maritime Air Group, Air Transport Group, 10 Tactical Air Group and Fighter Air Group were still reporting to Air Command in Winnipeg...

;D

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1107 on: April 15, 2019, 21:20:20 »
Wow, it only seems like yesterday that Maritime Air Group, Air Transport Group, 10 Tactical Air Group and Fighter Air Group were still reporting to Air Command in Winnipeg...

Much happier days.

It was just "Fighter Group", though - but the abbreviation for your version (intentional or otherwise) - is a little amusing, in a 1980s way.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #1108 on: April 17, 2019, 01:10:37 »
Much happier days.

It was just "Fighter Group", though - but the abbreviation for your version (intentional or otherwise) - is a little amusing, in a 1980s way.

Intentional?  Who? Me? :whistle:

Maybe I was thinking of the Film Actors Guild...

Offline s4uce

• Rate Post
« Reply #1109 on: May 30, 2019, 13:10:20 »
Hey, saw an ad for this trade. Been reading the thread and it looks awesome. Anyone heard of VOT-U's getting in? Haven't seen any.

Also there was a brief for the trade at my base, but I wasn't able to attend. If any of you know of it and could give a summary that would be awesome.   

Offline Eagle Eye View

• Rate Post
« Reply #1110 on: May 30, 2019, 13:35:15 »
If you pm me your forces.gc.ca email I can share the ppt brief I used during the tour.
Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.

John F. Kennedy

Offline s4uce

• Rate Post
« Reply #1111 on: May 30, 2019, 15:59:08 »
Sent you PM

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #1112 on: May 30, 2019, 17:03:54 »
Hey, saw an ad for this trade. Been reading the thread and it looks awesome.

It is a very good trade...if your heart isn't set on working 8-4, Mon-Fri and never being away from home.   8)

Anyone heard of VOT-U's getting in? Haven't seen any.

I haven't personally heard of any VOT-Us applying, but...I'm also aware our trade isn't the most widely known/understood one in the CAF as well.  We have a new Recruiting video that should be out soon'ish on the recruiting website as well; we don't fly on SeaKings and Block II Aurora's anymore, the platforms are very modern compared to what the current video shows.

Did you see the CANFORGEN on the VOT-U OFFICER AND NCM CAMPAIGN (CANFORGEN 055/19, available on the Canadian Forces app)?

Offline s4uce

• Rate Post
« Reply #1113 on: May 30, 2019, 18:03:47 »
Did you see the CANFORGEN on the VOT-U OFFICER AND NCM CAMPAIGN (CANFORGEN 055/19, available on the Canadian Forces app)?

I saw the CANFORGEN. The only thing that makes me worry for VOT-U's is that i'm pretty sure COT-U's have pri but personally not too informed on it. It doesn't mention aesop for ACS either so i am not sure about that.

I have a informal meeting with the PSO soon, and hopefully meet the deadline for this quarterly.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #1114 on: May 31, 2019, 16:03:49 »
I saw the CANFORGEN. The only thing that makes me worry for VOT-U's is that i'm pretty sure COT-U's have pri but personally not too informed on it. It doesn't mention aesop for ACS either so i am not sure about that.

A COT-U has no more 'aptitude and ability' to be aircrew than a VOT-U because of the "C".  Make sure you are ready for the PSO interview.

ACS isn't mentioned for AES Op because we don't do ACS as part of the selection for the trade.  You can expect to an an initial aircrew medical though and the MO / BSurg will sign off "fit potential aircrew AF2" and then send your medical file for review/determination to AUMB (Aerospace Underwater Medical Board); they are the folks who assign flying and diving medical categories. 

Good luck!

Offline Hoodz

• Rate Post
« Reply #1115 on: June 11, 2019, 23:01:49 »
Would anyone be able to send me the PP presentation for this trade? Wasn't able to attend any of the info sessions but after reading 45 pages, AES Op sounds better and better!

Offline Eagle Eye View

• Rate Post
« Reply #1116 on: June 11, 2019, 23:10:53 »
Send me a pm and I’ll send you the ppt via outlook once I get back to Winnipeg.
Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.

John F. Kennedy

Offline chasesterling

• Rate Post
« Reply #1117 on: June 12, 2019, 08:01:41 »
I am working towards getting an OT to AESOp. I am hoping to go on a fixed wing with the Auroras. My wife is American and waiting on her permanent residency. We would like to start a family after my training and posting to either Comox or Greenwood. Does anybody have a good idea as to how often I'd be away from home with this job? I was told that Rotary Wing is away a lot more often.

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1118 on: June 12, 2019, 11:54:09 »
Does anybody have a good idea as to how often I'd be away from home with this job? I was told that Rotary Wing is away a lot more often.

You will be away quite often.  I seriously doubt the rotary wing deploys more often than the MH/LRP communities.

Expect to be gone, expect your wife to be pissed off, and don't expect a steady schedule while posted to an operational squadron.

*However, the job is fantastic.  My time spent flying as an AES Op was very enjoyable.  The support families receive from the Wings/Sqns is top notch as well.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 13:57:42 by Dolphin_Hunter »

Offline BobSlob

• Rate Post
« Reply #1119 on: June 12, 2019, 14:26:24 »
You will be away quite often.  I seriously doubt the rotary wing deploys more often than the MH/LRP communities.

Expect to be gone, expect your wife to be pissed off, and don't expect a steady schedule while posted to an operational squadron.

*However, the job is fantastic.  My time spent flying as an AES Op was very enjoyable.  The support families receive from the Wings/Sqns is top notch as well.

It's changed quite a bit over the past few years. But you can "average" about a 3 week stint every 3 months. Unless of course another OP Impact pops up.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #1120 on: June 12, 2019, 17:48:51 »
Yup, there's a few variables that can affect your 'away trip' numbers and how busy you are.  IMPACT had a fairly drastic affect for several years;  I started and finished 2016 deployed at IMPACT (6 months there that year) and still went away that year in May, June, and July.  The op tempo isn't as hectic now, but "Op NEXT" is always around the corner.

My  :2c: on MH and LRP;  this is a general sense I get from the guys I know who've done MH - they might not go away as often, but when they do go, its for longer.  HELAIRDETs can go for 6+ months at a time.  The only LRP aircrew I've seen deployed that long were the Det HQ folks during IMPACT (not primary flying positions...though they did fly).

Here's how 2018 looked for me after the last IMPACT crew got home:

Jan - home
Feb - away (course)
Mar- away (ASW exercise)
Apr - home
May - away (ASW exercise)
June - home (on course)
July - home
Aug - summer leave, deployment prep
Sep/Oct/Nov - deployed
Dec - mostly on leave, Standby crew end-Dec into the New Year.

Deployments and exercises are, for the most part, pretty Gucci compared to what the average CAF member will experience.  It isn't uncommon to have single rooms in hotels, and decent places to see and things to keep you occupied on your non-flying days. 

I've covered a fairly substantial part of the globe as a LRP type.  There's something good to be said about breaking down and being 'stuck' in Hawaii, Scotland, Norway, etc.

Comox - lots to do, crazy prices to buy a home. 
Greenwood - crappier tax rates, housing more affordable, not as much stuff to do (especially if you're the outdoors type).  PMQ rates are also pretty low in Gwood.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 18:09:55 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #1121 on: June 12, 2019, 18:11:16 »
It's changed quite a bit over the past few years. But you can "average" about a 3 week stint every 3 months. Unless of course another OP Impact pops up.

This would be even better if they stopped pulling people from Crew X over to Crew Y for deployment/exercise Z... :whistle:

If you're gonna have a crew system, you have to stick to it as much as possible.  You can't administer by crew, operate as a pool.  But, that's not really our problem anymore is it?   ;D

Offline Linx

• Rate Post
« Reply #1122 on: June 13, 2019, 19:53:22 »
Hey everyone,

New to this and was wondering how often do you hear about new recruits going straight into AESOp?

Wondering because I've been doing some research and looking through the application process samples on here but can't seem to find a lot of info about direct recruitment into the AESOp position.
I know that the answer could be quite different from one person to another depending on the applicant but I'm interested in joining as either AESOp or AWS Tech - so far AESOp seems to be what I'm leaning more towards but is that hard to get into?

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1123 on: June 13, 2019, 20:26:21 »
I'm interested in joining as either AESOp or AWS Tech - so far AESOp seems to be what I'm leaning more towards but is that hard to get into?

There are plenty of direct entry AES Ops, probably the luckiest folks in the CAF.

I think getting into any small trade can be tough, but there are so many factors at play and the only one you control is the only one that matters. Your application.

I’d start with a visit to the recruiting center and see what they have to say. Do what you have to do to make your application stand out and you’ll stand a greater chance of getting what you want.

Offline Linx

• Rate Post
« Reply #1124 on: June 14, 2019, 02:46:47 »
There are plenty of direct entry AES Ops, probably the luckiest folks in the CAF.

I think getting into any small trade can be tough, but there are so many factors at play and the only one you control is the only one that matters. Your application.

I’d start with a visit to the recruiting center and see what they have to say. Do what you have to do to make your application stand out and you’ll stand a greater chance of getting what you want.

Thanks for the input. I'll definitely ask next week when I go in for my CFAT.