Author Topic: Boot Size  (Read 55253 times)

Offline tallone77

• Rate Post
Boot Size
« on: November 26, 2004, 03:44:03 »
Hey there, i was just wondering what boot size is the maximum anyone has seen someone wear.  Im asking becasue i have a size 16 and was wondering if there would be any trouble getting boots.

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
Re: Boot Size
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 03:48:12 »
The boots all come in various widths, and the actual sizing of combat boots is usually about two sizes below your normal shoe size (Is it that you have very long feet, or very wide feet? Or in other words, in your civvie shoes, is there an excess of toe room?).

Offline gun plumber

• works hard to keep the horse dancin'!
  • Rate Post
  • Dirty EME
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 09:14:33 »
The smallest I've seen seen was size 3 woman's which belong to my wife when see was in.
little,tiny parade boots!
A friend of mine has a large size like your and for the longest time he had to have his Mk 3 specially made for him.With the new WWB though,they came in a size that fit him properly.If the restriction on the issue of Mk 3's still exists,(there is a CANFORGEN on it,If someone calls bull.I'll post it)then the system might not be able issue you them,but will still get you 2 pairs of boots ie:off the shelf.
"It is war that shapes peace,and armament that shapes war."-Thomas Fuller

Ref: B-GL-314-008/AM-002
Chapter 6, Section 4, Para 3
The only reason for the existence of a Maintenance Platoon or
Company is the recovery and repair of equipment; thus any defensive
scheme which ties up a large number of technicians for long periods
in non-productive duties is of direct assistance to the enemy.

Offline mrosseker

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 14:17:20 »
Size 16?

Whoa.
everyone I know:   "Why do you want to join the army?"

me: "Because I just don't have enough running, digging and swearing in my life right now.."

gorf

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 20:40:39 »
I have size 15 and I can still get mukluks and jungle boots at an army surplus in Kingston, you just have to look around......that is if you have to find your own or need a replacement.  :cdn:

Offline JasonH

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2004, 00:00:51 »
I take size 14 civvies so I guess a 12 from what I understand?
It is foolish to mourn who died.  Rather we should thank God that such man lived.
General George S. Patton

Offline Big Foot

• Rate Post
  • Muda, mura, and muri everywhere I look...
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2004, 11:08:45 »
I wear a 300/112 for the goretex boots, or 13.5 for all my others. Pretty damn big boots
It's not insubordinate if you know exactly where the line is and walk on it but never cross it.

Offline steph11

• Rate Post
Please Help -- Canadian Military Combat boot sizing
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 10:19:35 »
Hi There,

I was in the military in the past and I miss my boots so much!  I'd like to buy a pair online, but I forget my size.  And, I remember the sizing was a bit different than regular shoe sizes.

I wear a 8.5-9 womens (approx 7 mens).... I believe my combat boots were a 5E or 6E, but I cannot remember.  I believe I had the MKIII boots.

Can someone help me out?  I really appreciate it!

Steph.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: Please Help -- Canadian Military Combat boot sizing
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 10:25:24 »
Combat boots are only available in two sizes:

Too small, and too big.

>:D

Given the Mk III is out of production, be leery of online sellers.  I'd recommend finding a bricks and mortar store where you can try them on to ensure the fit - dependign on the manufacturer, the sizes may well be different.

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline steph11

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 10:30:53 »
Thanks for your reply -- and your humour :)

I was issued 2 pairs and they were the most comfortable footwear that I have ever had in my entire life!  I would have paid anything to keep them when I eventually quit the reserves. :(

Does anyone know of any good surplus stores in Toronto?

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 11:37:29 »
Greb Kodiaks are pretty much the same boot. Have a look at those.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 21:33:28 »
Steph - If you wore a 7 mens you were more than likely a 6E - the MKIII was just about on par (size-wise) with a civi running shoe. Your letter is your width - an E is about the norm while a D is narrow. These days we use what's called the Mondo-Point sizing scale. Sizes look like this - 205/90 (it's all millimeters...)

...But as Dapaterson remarked, be wary of online sellers - also, if the boots are too used you may not find the same comfort as you did your old ones seeing as how you never broke them in yourself!! Personally, I prefer the Magnum Stealth's...
Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Lil_T

• Make the DRMIS go away....
  • Rate Post
  • Non-compliance will be met with brute force.
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 22:31:31 »
The smallest I've seen seen was size 3 woman's which belong to my wife when see was in.
little,tiny parade boots!
A friend of mine has a large size like your and for the longest time he had to have his Mk 3 specially made for him.With the new WWB though,they came in a size that fit him properly.If the restriction on the issue of Mk 3's still exists,(there is a CANFORGEN on it,If someone calls bull.I'll post it)then the system might not be able issue you them,but will still get you 2 pairs of boots ie:off the shelf.

this is encouraging - I was concerned I wouldn't get issued with boots that were the proper size.  I have a hard enough time finding non-children's shoes that fit.  Are all CF issue footwear sized the same?

thank you search function!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 22:49:37 »
this is encouraging - I was concerned I wouldn't get issued with boots that were the proper size.  I have a hard enough time finding non-children's shoes that fit.  Are all CF issue footwear sized the same?

I'm sure our local binrats supply techs will be around to give the correct answer but I will go out on a limb and say wrt ankle boots/wwb/gp boot they are all sized using the MONDO POINT system. Combat Boots (MK III) and saftey boots are sized differently (not 100% sure on this now though).
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Lil_T

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 23:03:40 »
yeah I just measured my feet using the mondopoint system and I'm the smallest size available  215/88 (actually slightly smaller -210/85)  I have tiny feet.

Offline Eric_911

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 23:34:32 »
The smallest MKIII boot I've ever seen was 2-2 1/2C. It looked like something people dangle from their rear-view mirror. ;D

IIRC the largest in a MKIII I've seen has been 15-16 range.

yeah I just measured my feet using the mondopoint system and I'm the smallest size available  215/88 (actually slightly smaller -210/85)  I have tiny feet.

When you eventually get in, you'll be taken care of if your feet fall outside the sizing range for footwear supplied through the system.

Offline Lil_T

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 23:39:33 »
will a couple millimeters make that big a difference?

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 23:52:26 »

I've had custom Mk IIIs made for a size 1.5D girl here.

As small as 2.5 are still uncommon to see a lot of issues occur, but are available through the system as a 'standard' size.

16s (equiv) ... available.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 23:54:10 »

Were you wearing CTS sock system - or just a regular pair of socks? CTS usually sees you wearing a black liner sock with a green sock over it.

In any case, WW Boots can also be custom made if the carried range of sizes are too big/small. Socks make a difference, but boots will also stretch (they are leather after all). And yes, mm's make a difference (else we wouldn't have the size range that we do where boots differ by only mere millimeters), especially when you're humping rucks or generally doing any of those things that folks in the army tend to do.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 23:57:44 by ArmyVern »
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline Lil_T

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 00:21:11 »
Were you wearing CTS sock system - or just a regular pair of socks? CTS usually sees you wearing a black liner sock with a green sock over it.

In any case, WW Boots can also be custom made if the carried range of sizes are too big/small. Socks make a difference, but boots will also stretch (they are leather after all). And yes, mm's make a difference (else we wouldn't have the size range that we do where boots differ by only mere millimeters), especially when you're humping rucks or generally doing any of those things that folks in the army tend to do.

mm just a regular sport sock, so that would probably take me just to the smallest size then.  Wouldn't that system get mighty hot in the summer?  Just a question...  obv. if I have to wear it, I will.

And thanks Vern :D

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 00:29:56 »
mm just a regular sport sock, so that would probably take me just to the smallest size then.  Wouldn't that system get mighty hot in the summer?  Just a question...  obv. if I have to wear it, I will.

And thanks Vern :D

I wear my liners with my green socks every day - year round. They work and is comfortable for me. I haven't yet had occasion to try the liners with the grey socks.

That being said, you'll have to figure out what sock/combo works well for you and is comfortable ... then try the boots on wearing the system that you'll usually be wearing on your feet.

Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 00:37:31 »
Personally, I find that wool sock insulates both ways.  It keeps my feet comfortable as much in the cold as in the warmth.

Offline Lil_T

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 00:50:33 »
thanks both of you for the info.  Definitely something I will keep in mind.  I'll hang onto this thread for future reference,

Offline Snaketnk

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 15:41:54 »
305/116 is my boot size, and depending on Civvy brand, I can wear from a 14 1/2 to a 16.
As far as I know, any larger than that and they're custom made. Doesn't mean it didn't take me about 6 months to finally get my second pair though.
-------
Pro Patria

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 12:31:15 »

It’s all part of evolution; smaller feet allow women to stand closer to the kitchen sink.   :nana: