Author Topic: Comparing the Combat Arms (Inf vs. Engr vs. Armd vs. Arty)  (Read 140345 times)

D-n-A

Re: Pros and Cons of the Combat Arms
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2004, 19:17:57 »
Have your tried looking at the Army Recruiting Website? Gives out all the info about that stuff(what they do, their courses, etc)

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/army/jobs_e.aspx

Armour
What They Do

Each Armoured Soldier belongs to one of the Armoured regiments of the Canadian Army, and serves as a member of the crew of an armoured fighting vehicle (AFV). His or her primary duties are to operate and maintain the AFV, its weapon systems (ballistic computers, laser range-finders and thermal sights as well as guns) and its communication equipment (sophisticated radars andradios). Armoured Soldiers are trained to fight as members of theCombat Arms team, which also includes the Infantry, the Artillery and the Combat Engineers. Armoured Soldiers begin their career with one of two types of AFV: the tank or the reconnaissance (recce) vehicle.

Infantry
What They Do

Each Infantry Soldier belongs to one of the Infantry regiments of the Canadian Army, some of which bear battle honours more than a century old. As the Army's primary war-fighters and the core of the Combat Arms team, Infantry Soldiers are responsible for closing with and destroying the enemy. Supported by the Artillery, regiments of Armour and the Combat Engineers, Infantry Soldiers are capable of operating anywhere in the world in any environment â ” Arctic tundra, mountains, jungle or desert â ” and in any combination of arms, including airmobile and amphibious operations.

Combat Engineer

What They Do
Combat Engineers are members of the Military Engineer branch of can live, move and fight on the battlefield, and deny the same abilities to enemy troops. They also perform duties in aid of the civil power and civil authority; participate in peace-support operations; perform construction and maintenance tasks in support of the CF and other government organizations; drive and operate vehicles and equipment in support of Engineer Operations; and maintain field installations and facilities.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2004, 19:20:33 by MikeL »

SHARP WO

Re: Comparing the Combat Arms (Inf vs. Engr vs. Armd vs. Arty)
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2004, 08:18:57 »
Research is the key, all cbt arms trades have similiar qualities and many differences. Have a look at a few reserve websites also, they can give you some examples of what they do.

SHARP WO

Offline TA

• Rate Post
Re: I need a Clincher! Armoured Vs. Engineer (Reg Force)
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2004, 13:42:25 »
Sorry, I don't see it that way. I don't know him and his general comments about the whole Armoured Corps being"scorned" idiots was offensive and uncalled for. If he was joking, so be it, he should learn internet protocol and identify his comments as such. Kinda like the little winking icon I used? Until such time I'll stand by my comments, and too bad about your buddy. Besides he seems like a big boy and was able to laugh off my comments, he doesn't seem like the type that needs your protection.

Just to jump in here- giong through the recruiting process (i.e. sitting around and waiting and waiting), I can tell you that the Corps you choose is an intensely personal decision.  Each have very strong selling points, some similar opportunities, as well as unique aspects.  Truth is, you'll never fully realize what they do until you do it- so get some info from the units, make a decision, and ruck on!

BTW, I'm an engineer by trade and education, and decided to go Armour. 

Cheers!

Offline Meridian

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2004, 13:44:02 »
"BTW, I'm an engineer by trade and education, and decided to go Armour.  "

Excellent Choice  8)

Offline another-Bloggins

• Rate Post
  • is that you John Wayne, is this me?
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2005, 15:15:48 »
Be certin you know what your getting into. I just returned from Coral Jump in B.C. the longest running ex in the CF(Mo or Reg). Its a brigde camp for engineers.all you do is lift bridge parts into place for 5 days.(as a side note 8 bay double story MBG put up, jacked down and decked in 130mins with 26ppl) It gets tiring. Combat Engineers do hard jobs that are all to often overlooked by other trades b/c the jobs get bypassed alot. Oh well a minefield will slow down the ex so were DSing it, no no no that boobytrap will slow down our attack it doesnt matter if it goes off etc etc etc. I heard many of these as i am sure all engineers have many times before while working with the infantry in particular(not to pick at you guys but we dont useally roll with the armoured in MO ex's and well we never really see the arty). Being a engineer not only requires hard work but also putting up with the fact that alot of the time your overlooked so the infantry can get their training while you and your section are left in company HQ and after the attack in the AAR you find out that 4 BT's were hit and its ok b/c the attack was a success and those 4 BT's really didnt kill any of the infantry. So ya engineers= hard work but it aso equals even harder tasks. Not going nuts when excersises that are planed for 5 or 6 months and then its completely obvious that the engineer role was thrown in at the last min(once again talking from the Mo perspective and mind you these r on the Birgade run ex's not unit ex's) ok my rant is done
Chimo!

Offline J.F.

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2005, 04:17:53 »
Roko, can you condense the drive and enthusiasm that you have into a pill?
Cheers, JF

aesop081

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2005, 15:28:00 »
as a side note 8 bay double story MBG put up, jacked down and decked in 130mins with 26ppl)

If this was meant to be impressive then....

My QL3 ( 9302) in Chilliwack, 8-bay DS MGB, jacked down , ramped and decked.....90 mins, 24 people......

Argyll

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2005, 16:26:41 »
Don't quote me but wasn't the guys that got caught in the Medak Pocket something like 50-60% reservists from across Canada?

Offline AFireinside13

• Rate Post
Infantry or Armoured Soldier?
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2005, 11:37:15 »
Joining reserves this summer...

Just wondering which to choose; Infantry or Armoured Soldier?
Any input would be great   :D
Oh, You're One Of Those

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: Infantry or Armoured Soldier?
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2005, 11:39:29 »
Have a look through some of the forums here and see.  We have covered everything that you have asked in threads here already.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Patrick H.

• Paint it all grey.
  • Rate Post
  • UBIQUE
Re: Infantry or Armoured Soldier?
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2005, 12:14:53 »
It's really your own decision... nobody here can decide for you but can assist in helping you find the right choice. As George said, review the forums of the trades interest you. A lot of people will say Infantry, and a lot will say Armoured. Choose the option that suits you best and go from there.

Cheers and good luck
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.

"It isn't what you've lost, but what you have left." - My great Uncle Daniel J MacDonald, Veteran Affairs Minister 1972.

Offline Zack

• Rate Post
  • Kimura - me winning
Infantry vs Combat Engineer
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2006, 13:40:46 »
hey guys,

I'm just looking for some people that have only been in either one of these trades and just wondering ur likes and dislikes of ur trade. (of infanteer or combat engineer(EOD i think its called right?)

thanks

Zack

Offline Jimmy C

• Rate Post
Re: Infantry vs Combat Engineer
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2006, 13:50:30 »
I think EOD means explosive ordnance dispoal which is one of the engineers tasks. Also if you do a little bit of searching you'll find that there are threads on camparing the combat arms.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 13:58:59 by Jimmy C »
If you rob a bank, and your pants fall down, it's okay to laugh, and let your hostages laugh too, because come on, life is funny -Jack Handey

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2006, 21:02:33 »
EOD is only one little facet of a Combat Engineer's life.
While some might say that I am prejudiced.... The Sapper's life's for me!

Chimo!
Chimo!

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post

Offline ready to go

• if it doesn't invlove blood, sweat and tears I want no part in it
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2006, 14:27:36 »
I have a question regarding, specifically, Op Archer and the specialized training. Taking into consideration the fact that this is an urban environment and the enemy is embedded into the environment, how does this change the dynamics of the roles and the training for the combat arms teams?
Another question I have is how "American" are we in this respect? Are we adopting the American way?
The general who advances without coveting fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do good service for his sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom.

- Sun Tzu

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2006, 15:23:27 »
Uhhhh - and what way is that?
what is "the american way"?
Chimo!

Offline ready to go

• if it doesn't invlove blood, sweat and tears I want no part in it
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2006, 18:41:12 »
By stating "the American way", I am referring to tactical strageties, equipment and the general ethos and directive of our military's command as it relates to Operation Archer. Again, taking into account the dynamics of our new enemy and the densely populated, urbanized environment. What steps is our military taking to effectively prepare our soldiers for this circumstance? Are we learning from the mistakes of our U.S. counterparts as well as utilizing and incorporating their successful tactical measures into our own, unique military machine.

My questions are geared primarily towards the training, tactical and operational aspects of command for our combat arms team in the field.

I hope this clarifies your concern.
The general who advances without coveting fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do good service for his sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom.

- Sun Tzu

Offline CanadianGrunt

• I love pushups
  • Rate Post
Re: Engineers Vs. Armour
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2006, 10:46:19 »
Sorry i hurt feelings, but after having to hearing people complain from the res how come i have to do this, and that and why so long. i had it you train to win and be equals so train the same. and which tours were 25%. Most is 15%. Ive been around for 7 so i like to know.

All Bull**** aside I'd have to agree SOME reservists tend to be like that but others are cool in my books. Doesnt help they get thier gun/CADPATs before the reg force though.

Offline chernoff

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2006, 15:21:59 »
I have recently submited my app for cf reserve. I have always wanted to be infentry but now am thinking of art because there is a unit here in lethbridge a.b

my question is this. If i choos to go infentry i have to go to calgary am i able to do this, and is it a good idea.

also do reserves take there kit home when not on base??
thank you gentlemen

Offline paracowboy

• I keep sayin' it...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Make The Voices Stop!
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2006, 15:27:50 »
chernoff,
nobody has ever needed this more:
MSN and ICQ "short hand" -  http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,33247.0.html

Regarding the use of "MSN speak" versus the employment of prose which is correct in grammar, spelling and punctuation, please see: http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,34015.msg260446.html#msg260446

Army.ca Conduct Guidelines: MUST READ - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,24937.0.html

FRIENDLY ADVICE TO NEW MEMBERS - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,24937.msg259412.html#msg259412

Recruiting FAQ - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,21101.0.html

Infantry FAQ - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,1897.msg77869.html#msg77869

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test - http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,21101.msg103977.html#msg103977

Fitness requirements at enrolment, see page 12 of this brochure:
http://www.recruiting.forces.ca/media/pdf/physical_fitness_en.pdf

Search page - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search;advanced

Army.ca wiki pages 
 - http://army.ca/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

To summarize. Welcome to Army.ca, start reading.

Two words, dude: spell check
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 12:56:17 by Mike Bobbitt »
...time to cull the herd.

Offline Samsquanch

• We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
  • Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2006, 15:18:24 »
I recently put in my application for the reserves... My primary interest was/is infantry. I want to blow stuff up & shoot as many guns as possible I was told to put down a second and third choice on the application. My vision may not be v3 or better. I've done a bunch of research about all trades. I would like to know if engineers or artillery gets to blow up more stuff. I guessing I'll find out more info as the application process progresses. Just being a keener.
Cheers!
Despite what you may think nobody wins in a butter eating contest!

Offline silentbutdeadly

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2006, 15:36:51 »
Sam,

Look at Para's post, you could use it also! Here end the lesson

Offline Teflon

• I blame it on the MAGNETs in our drinking water
  • Rate Post
  • Insert Personal Text Here
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2006, 15:54:48 »
Sam;

Continue to be a Keener and read the FAQs!
When you meet somebody new,
don't get excited, because
9 out of ten times
they're stupid

Offline Shamrock

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2006, 15:57:04 »
Balloon Techs get to blow a lot of stuff up, too.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 16:20:37 by Shamrock »