Author Topic: Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]  (Read 697391 times)

JES_12

Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]
« on: November 02, 2001, 14:56:00 »
Hi,

I want to know your opinion about the women in the army?

:cdn:  HONOUR_12   :tank:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 18:37:59 by kratz »

the patriot

Re: Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2001, 21:28:00 »
Women have been more than welcome to join the military and have been permitted to apply to the Combat Arms trades since 1989.  

-the patriot-  :cdn:

ender

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2001, 21:25:00 »
I am a female and have been in the reserve engineers for 2 years now.  As a girl, you have a bit more to prove, but my experience has been mostly positive, and the guys will accept you as long as you can do the job.  Of course there are a few idiots, but you find those everywhere.  Anyone who says women can‘t be soldiers should open their eyes.  There are plenty of good female soldiers in the CF that I proud to know.

Canidule

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2002, 18:19:00 »
I was watching tv and there was a show like survivor where there was a women who was a former marine....and she was pretty damn hot....but she got voted off the first day because she was the only 1 who failed an event....well anyway....is there any hot girls in the CF?

Offline Sharpie

• Rate Post
  • Black Hatter
    • The WIndsor Regiment
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2002, 20:56:00 »
Does it really matter? Yes the Army should/will become an extension of your family, but it‘s not a night club! Just remember, you will be trained to put your life on the line for these "hot girls", as they will do the same for you. Just be careful thats all.
I enjoyed Infanteer‘s comment though.

OK, I sound like a Dad...wait....I am!  :D
~semper paratus~

bc_railfan

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2002, 22:15:00 »
yeah i have the same question...are there many/any good-looking women in the forces??

though some may not agree with me, young, good-looking women (and men for the opposite sex) would probably attract more young people to the forces.   i‘m not saying this should be a reason for joining, but if i join i want to work with people my age....

on the topic, are there many young people in the regular forces (20-30 years)?  i‘ve looked at the pictures and recruiting posters, but they never really show young people.  the u.s. forces seems to have a great deal of young people in the ranks, and in my opinion this raises the appeal of joining the forces.

this is 100% not-important info, but the woman featured in the recruiting video for air traffic controller (i think) on the dnd website is real cute  :)  .

-brad  :cdn:

Offline ~RoKo~

• Living the dream. I think...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Personal Text:
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2002, 22:27:00 »
Maybe it‘s just me, but I think it would be really, really wrong to chase tail within your reg‘t... It unbalances things... distracts the soldier.. not a good thing, I assume.

heh heh heh.. besides... Army chicks aren‘t my type  :)

Offline Marauder

• Rate Post
  • Dirty Infidel
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2002, 22:30:00 »
Even if there were any "hot chicks" in the Forces, the laws preventing fraternization would prevent you from doing anything about it. Besides, given the females I had to put up with on course, you would be more likely to end up with a law suit from them than an STD.

The Forces aren‘t a ****ing social club... you may wish to re-evaluate your reasons for joining.  A fair amount of our American brothers just proved how deadly ****ing serious this job can be when doing it for real.
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of lambs."

Canidule

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2002, 05:53:00 »
haha.....i was just asking  :)  i heard so much rumors and im not joining because of girls....well anyway im already in a social club(also called school) and im really not interested at all in going into another 1.... and im serious about this job

bender

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2002, 13:16:00 »
If your joining the army for some ***  your looking in the wrong spot!

But as a side note i did an exercise with the navy a little while back and the chicks there where unreal! They where everywhere and all hot, even the cook was a peice of *** !!

ender

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2002, 13:36:00 »
Joining the army to meet girls is pretty stupid, I mean the ratios just arn‘t in your favour.  If there‘s one girl to 20 guys chances are she‘s already taken or not intrested.  Besides, it‘s a bad idea to date inside your unit. (or, put more cruedly, don‘t s*** where you eat)

There are rules against fraternization? You wouldn‘t know it.  They must have skipped that on my 2‘s.  What are the actual rules?  (I mean, obviously you keep it out of your chain of command, but other than that?)

Sapper Bloggins

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2002, 18:43:00 »
If woman choose to be in the combat arms , all the power to them. There are standards which are expected of everyone, regardless of gender. If they pull their own wait, hey,climb in. The only easy day was yesterday.  :p

Offline Enfield

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2002, 19:26:00 »
There are rules against fraternization?? I‘ve seen no evidence of that.

I‘ve seen instrcutors having affairs with students. Everyone that goes overseas seems to have stories of fraternization. A quick check of The DND Op Apollo photo archive shows many in-service couples (including officer‘s and enlisted), either saying goodbye or deploying together - all proudly displayed by the military. If there‘s a rule against fraternization, somebody didn‘t tell NDHQ.

Joining the military to meet girls is stupid, the odds just aren‘t in your favour - and If It‘s In Green, It Ain‘t Clean (that goes for both sexes). However, DEU‘s and a kilt go a long way in a nightclub....
May You Live in Interesting Times

Offline Marauder

• Rate Post
  • Dirty Infidel
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2002, 23:13:00 »
OK, for clarification purposes:
On course we were told you should‘t be dipping yer wick in the platoon inkwell, as it were. But yah, for the most part that was ignored. Personally, I didn‘t see anything I would wanna stick it in. They were all either fat and ugly, had "issues" (  :rolleyes:  ), or were so damn dirty I wouldn‘t touch them with a twenty foot pole.
I also think that sorta **** being carried on within a platoon is wrong, given the fact that if it goes wrong (and it invariably does) there‘s gonna be a lot of unneccesary drama going on on parade nights. You wanna roll the dice that she isn‘t going to "forget" ( :rolleyes: ) to take her pill or isn‘t all disease ridden, well have fun, but don‘t expect any sympathy from the medics when they shoot you full of antibiotics.
But I‘m justly a lowly private, what the **** do I know.
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of lambs."

jaycee

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2002, 22:06:00 »
to maurauder
funny about all that stuff your saying about women.we tend to say the same things about you men.and after some of the stuff iv heard about overseas and what people have done there ,im surprised anyone dates military period.military women are no worse or better than civilian women.same goes for men.there are no real rules against fraternization but you can be charged if your caught at work or in the field doing the nasty.we had a couple  that got a bunch of extras when they were caught at work.but other than that anything goes.

Spr Earl

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2002, 19:21:00 »
In my 26 yrs as a Sapper I have seen many women come and go and use the system to their own advantage and advance and there are only two female‘s to date who  work ,drink,and mix and who are still Sapperet‘s (My choice of Word) and both of these girl‘s Engineering knowledge has caught many a Sr. N.C.O. out (me included)and both were excepted by all of us because they could hump panel‘s,dig,lay fence,mine‘s,and all the rest we Enginerer‘s do and if I was younger I would have them in my section any day,they even shamed a few male‘s!!!!!!!

It‘s to bad we could not have more female‘s like these two who take the job to heart!

(Retireing Soon)

JRMACDONALD

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2002, 00:48:00 »
Candidule- you must remember TV adverts are , exactly that, TV Adverts. i ‘ve never seen old , bald, fat,CSMs/PL WOs in the adverts, just young, fit, CUTE people!
Infanteer- your first answer WAS on the the MARK!
Enfield/Disturbance- NO fraternatization rules?? I guess you have never signed THAT document on in -clearance to WATC, HUH!????

snooprobbiedog

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2002, 09:13:00 »
Imagine if the folks who make the beer commercials did the ads for the CF!!!

And don‘t go telling me that hotties and buff dudes in the beer ads aren‘t real... Next thing you‘ll be telling me is that there is no Santa Claus!  :crybaby:  

Rob

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2002, 18:54:00 »
The hotties and buff dudes are the way the world looks _if_ you drink the beer...
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Offline bossi

• "vae soli, vae victus"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • The puck stops here ('War On Ice'!) Fight Smarter!
    • My pix (on MSN)
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2002, 13:15:00 »
Originally posted by ender:
[qb]There are rules against fraternization? You wouldn‘t know it.  They must have skipped that on my 2‘s.  What are the actual rules?  (I mean, obviously you keep it out of your chain of command, but other than that?)[/qb]
Ender,
From reading your numerous posts, it seems they‘ve skipped quite a bit during your trg (or else you missed it).

However, since I‘m in a gratuitous mood today (albeit cranky), I‘m only too happy to answer your question (actually, it also falls under the heading of "never pass a fault", but I digress ...):

CFAO 19-38 pertains to "Personal Relationships" (i.e. fraternization)
CFAO 19-36 covers "Sexual Misconduct"

Also, a recent court martial in Toronto provided an example of military justice in this regard (and, yes - I do mean "justice", as opposed to "the legal system" - it resulted in a conviction on two counts of sexual assault, and it should be known by all and sundry that the chain of command definitely did not turn a blind eye). - you‘d do well to read up.

Here is a link to an informative JAG briefing:
 Sexual Offences and Sexual Harassment

If anybody needs more info, advice, or whatever - y‘all know where to find me.

Dileas Gu Brath,
M.A. Bossi, Esquire
Junior officers and NCOs who neglect to guide the thinking of their men are shirking a command responsibility.
-Feb 1955 Cbt Forces Journal
Those who appreciate true valour should in their daily intercourse set gentleness first and aim to win the love and esteem of others. If you affect valour and act with violence, the world will in the end detest you and look upon you as wild beasts. Of this you should take heed.
-Emperor Meiji: Rescript to Soldiers and Sailors, 4 January 1883

Pugil

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2002, 10:02:00 »
Canada is the only Nato country that allows women in the combat arms. A recent study made by the Mod in Uk confirms that  women in combat arms would unbalance the group cohesion giving more risks than assets.
 http://news.mod.uk/news/press/news_headline_story.asp?newsItem_id=1723

Offline combat_medic

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Mod of burninating
    • Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2002, 10:40:00 »
And here‘s another study that proves the opposite:

"Army researchers came up with a new study that concludes that, when a woman is correctly. trained, she can be as tough as any man. The report by the US Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine at Natick, MA was led by senior analyst Everett Harman. "You don‘t need testosterone to get strong," Harman concluded. Through a regimen of regular jogging, weight training, and other rigorous exercise, more that 75 percent of the 41 women studied were able to prepare themselves to successfully perform duties traditionally performed by males in the military. Before training, less than 25 percent of the women were capable of performing the tasks. All but one of the females were civilian volunteers, and none had previously adopted a routine of strenuous physical activity. The women included lawyers, mothers, students, and bartenders. Several had recently had children and thought the training would put them back in shape. They were unaware that their performance might eventually be used to topple one of the last citadels of bias against women in both the military and society. The 24-week training study began in May 1995 with women spending 90 minutes a day, five days a week, building themselves up for endurance tests. They ran a two-mile wooded course wearing a 75-pound rucksack and performed squats holding a 100-pound barbell on their shoulders. Nationally certified trainers oversaw the conditioning. Improvement of over 33 percent was noted by the scientists who wrote the report.Nearly concurrently with this test, the Ministry of Defence in Great Britain conducted the same kind of study. The Sunday Times of London reported that "by using new methods of physical training, women can be built up to the same levels of physical fitness as men of the same size and build." The British article also notes that "contrary to the view of many traditionalists, the operational performance of groups improve greatly if both sexes are involved."
"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck." - Paracowboy

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2002, 14:06:00 »
"when a woman is correctly. trained, she can be as tough as any man"

I think the physical part is only have of the argument though, maybe not even.  Personally i think the major conflict is simply biased opinions and that guys are not always keen on letting girls in their brotherhood (for lack of a better term). Some guys, myself included, are uncomfortable working with women.  A male is not even allowed to not talk with a female co-worker (for whatever reason). He HAS to talk to her, other wise it‘s creating a poisonous work enviroment. I think thats unfair, some people you just do not like and don‘t want to talk with but since in this case it would be a female that sends up the warning bells. The CF is so ****  bent on weeding out harassment and complaints that they are actually putting females in a bad position. Girls can physically and mentally do the same job as guys (if their prepared for it)  but the few trouble makers really do a lot of damage against both genders working together.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline combat_medic

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Mod of burninating
    • Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2002, 14:42:00 »
I‘m a bit with you and a bit against you on that one.  Yes, there should be girl guides and BOY scouts... there should be men and women‘s sports teams, and men and women‘s health clinics. There‘s a place for gender separation, but I don‘t think the military is the place for it. Yes, the problem arises when the "old boys", for a lack of a better term, have an objection to women being there, and create problems where there aren‘t any. Also, you have the forced integration where underqualified people are being placed into positions to fill quotas, causing resentment among the people there before.

So what about ethnic minorities in the military? What about homosexuals? I‘m sure a hundred years ago, when you had to be of british descent to join the military, that the same reasons were given for ukranians not to join, or natives, or asians, or whoever it was.

That being said, I also think that there are a lot of women who take advantage of the lower standards to get into the military, and use things like quotas to get into difficult, dangerous positions in which they‘re not qualified to be. They then will piss and moan about standards, and equality, and "I want to be the first woman ______ ". BUT, if you‘re qualified, if you can do the job, and you can handle it without differences getting in the way, then you should do it... no matter if you‘re male, female, gay, straight, white, purple, green, or a circus midget on stilts with an AK47.

But that‘s just my opinion, I could be wrong.
"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck." - Paracowboy

Pugil

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2002, 14:42:00 »
I know that in the regular Royal 22ième Regiment the have like 5 to 6 women in their regiment and they put them in the same battalion, the 2nd of R22R. The reason why is that because women tend not to stay more than a 3 years contract if there are less than 25% of their peers of the same sex in the trade or unit. Another reason is that the 2nd battalion is known by the reg Vandoos to be the weakest of all the 3 battalions in term of battle readiness and they are also the "guards" in red scarlett. So the high ranking Vandoo officers keep the 1st and 3rd strictly to men and the 2nd is open to all women that pass battleschool.