Author Topic: Divining the right role, capabilities, structure, and Regimental System for Canada's Army Reserves  (Read 1093482 times)

Online FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
People that want trades would have to sign longer contracts.  For training, for service and for reserve service.

I don't want to get in the way of what is a good discussion but quite frankly the methodology of how you do different trades or even whether certain trades should be in the P Res is somewhat secondary to the key issue which is can you or should you restructure the overall force by subtracting funding from the RegF in order to create a larger, effective P Res that would, at any given time, provide you a total force with more numbers and more bang for the same buck.

The basic trade-off is subtracting a significant number of full-time PYs to create a higher multiple of part-time PYs.

So far all the comments which I have seen that argue against that (here and elsewhere) put forward the position that the current P Res isn't effective or dependable (or some derivative/tangent of that). That however isn't the issue. The issue is how do you change the overall system to make the P Res fully effective and dependable. All of that would require extensive and (here's the kicker) unbiased staff work. Like anything, a good estimate of the situation would go a long way to developing a coherent plan.

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
I don't want to get in the way of what is a good discussion but quite frankly the methodology of how you do different trades or even whether certain trades should be in the P Res is somewhat secondary to the key issue which is can you or should you restructure the overall force by subtracting funding from the RegF in order to create a larger, effective P Res that would, at any given time, provide you a total force with more numbers and more bang for the same buck.

The basic trade-off is subtracting a significant number of full-time PYs to create a higher multiple of part-time PYs.

So far all the comments which I have seen that argue against that (here and elsewhere) put forward the position that the current P Res isn't effective or dependable (or some derivative/tangent of that). That however isn't the issue. The issue is how do you change the overall system to make the P Res fully effective and dependable. All of that would require extensive and (here's the kicker) unbiased staff work. Like anything, a good estimate of the situation would go a long way to developing a coherent plan.

But... but... then what would pundits like me do? :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Why is this a required trade off?  Even if you accept the premise of the government (current and previous) that military commitment should be measured in output and not investment as a percent of GDP,  then surely the right answer can be that both components need reforms and more investment.

Online Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
Why is this a required trade off?  Even if you accept the premise of the government (current and previous) that military commitment should be measured in output and not investment as a percent of GDP,  then surely the right answer can be that both components need reforms and more investment.

I'd like to see both more money and more bodies.  My proposal is based on not getting either and having to rob Peter (the Regs) to pay Paul (the Res) so as to create a Reserve that offers more value to the Regs.  At least that's the thought.   ???
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Online FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
I'd like to see both more money and more bodies.  My proposal is based on not getting either and having to rob Peter (the Regs) to pay Paul (the Res) so as to create a Reserve that offers more value to the Regs.  At least that's the thought.   ???

And I think that is the only realistic way to approach it. Any plan built on the premise that more money will be forthcoming is doomed to failure while a plan built on using existing funds will succeed and will have the bonus of providing even more capability in the unlikely event the government does kick in extra funding.

The one minor divergence I have is that rather than "create a Reserve that offers more value to the Regs" I would say create a reserve that provides an overall larger total force from existing resources."

Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Online Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
And I think that is the only realistic way to approach it. Any plan built on the premise that more money will be forthcoming is doomed to failure while a plan built on using existing funds will succeed and will have the bonus of providing even more capability in the unlikely event the government does kick in extra funding.

The one minor divergence I have is that rather than "create a Reserve that offers more value to the Regs" I would say create a reserve that provides an overall larger total force from existing resources."

Seen
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Bumped with the latest promises from the Defence Review (PDF) -- more background attached.
... NEW INITIATIVES

To enhance the role and capabilities of the Reserve Force, the Canadian Armed Forces will:

74. Increase the size of the Primary Reserve Force to 30,000 (an increase of 1,500) and dramatically reduce the initial recruitment process from a number of months to a matter of weeks.

75. Assign Reserve Force units and formations new roles that provide full-time capability to the Canadian Armed Forces through part-time service, including:
• Light Urban Search and Rescue;
• Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Defence;
• Combat capabilities such as direct fire, mortar and pioneer platoons;
• Cyber Operators;
• Intelligence Operators;
• Naval Security Teams; and
• Linguists.

76. Enhance existing roles assigned to Reserve Force units and formations, including:
• Information Operations (including Influence Activities);
• Combat Support and Combat Service Support; and
• Air Operations Support Technicians.

77. Employ the Reserve Force to deliver select expeditionary missions in a primary role such as Canadian Armed Forces capacity building.

78. Create an agile service model that supports transition between full- and part-time service and provides the flexibility to cater to differing Reserve career paths.

79. Align Primary Reserve Force remuneration and benefits with those of the Regular Force where the demands of service are similar.

80. Revise annuitant employment regulations to attract and retain more former Regular Force personnel to the Reserves.

81. Offer full-time summer employment to Reservists in their first four years with the Reserves commencing in 2018.

82. Work with partners in the federal government to align federal acts governing job protection legislation. Subsequently, we will work with provinces and territories to harmonize job protection for Reserves at that level. ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Civil Defence.

Ropes, ladders, buckets and radiation detectors.

Back to the future.
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Well, I see that filling the Ceremonial Guard is a reoccurring challenge & priority.  I propose the PLDG be brought back in Ottawa (and maybe with footprint in some surrounding areas) so that we can have another guards unit focused on this ... and they can also do some soldiering in the off seasons.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Civil Defence.

Ropes, ladders, buckets and radiation detectors.

Back to the future.

A military paid SAR team in Vancouver would be busy, but the pissing match between the volunteers, military and the emergency services could get nasty.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
A military paid SAR team in Vancouver would be busy, but the pissing match between the volunteers, military and the emergency services could get nasty.

I believe Vancouver emergency services are only involved in Heavy Urban SAR.

"Collapsed structures and trenches; challenging, near-vertical environments; and swift-moving water. The team also prepares for and carries out the decontamination of large numbers of people."
http://vancouver.ca/home-property-development/urban-search-and-rescue.aspx

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
I was thinking more the Northshore Rescue team who do stellar work and are almost doing it full time. There is a push to make it paid. A reserve SAR team might be a threat to that plan. Better they give Reserves more paydays so they can train for SAR x time a year (on top of their normal training). Problem is that in the smaller communities, many of the members might also be called in by their respective employers in event of a large SAR incident.

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
Oh look - double-dipping is back.

The so called growth of the so called Reserves will in fact come from the Reg F who retire to become Class B double dippers in non-deployable positions in HQs.

Perfect.
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Online MJP

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post

The so called growth of the so called Reserves will in fact come from the Reg F who retire to become Class B double dippers in non-deployable positions in HQs.

Perfect.

Well we are rolling back the clocks to 1968 on everything else so we might as well bring back every other change we have made over the years.
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!

Perfect.

:whistle:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 03:38:56 by SeaKingTacco »

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Bumped with the latest promises from the Defence Review (PDF) -- more background attached.

New inititives?  72 and 84 maybe. The rest isn't new.  ::)
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
76. Enhance existing roles assigned to Reserve Force units and formations, including:
• Combat Support and Combat Service Support; and

Giving us proper tooling, parts, and training time would be a good start
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
National Service. Do we want to go there? I figure after 127 pages we might want to look back (or not, I didn't) and see if anything or situations, taskings, etc has changed with the change of government.

I'm pretty sure we talked it here or elsewhere on the forums but I'll wait until you guys decide whether it should be part of the discussion..
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Ostrozac

• Rate Post
National Service. Do we want to go there?

Do you mean Conscription? Considering how much difficulty Canada had with implementing conscription during both World Wars, it's hard to imagine a realistic scenario for peacetime conscription in Canada.

Besides, conscription isn't that trendy anymore. I think NATO is down to only about 6 nations using conscription, as opposed to its heyday in the 1950's, when I believe every NATO nation except Canada had conscription.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
National Service. Do we want to go there? I figure after 127 pages we might want to look back (or not, I didn't) and see if anything or situations, taskings, etc has changed with the change of government ...
For more background, another 14 pages on mandatory military service & the CF here (last posts ~5 years ago).
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"

Perfect.

The Reserves will then be managed by Reserve formation HQs filled with "Reservists" who have never darkened an armoury door and have no idea how the Class A world works.

Perfect.
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
81. Offer full-time summer employment to Reservists in their first four years with the Reserves commencing in 2018

You mean... like... Regional (Reserve) Summer Training (RST) which is presently underway and has been since...well... forever?

This goes to prove there are no original ideas left in either Hollywood or Ottawa.  "The Mummy" and the Defence Policy are perfect examples of that.
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
I think the reserves need to be revamped and take on a more obligatory service model.

Having privates, section platoon and company commanders pull out of exercises (or taskings) at the last minute constantly screws everything up.

Having reservists augment the reg force is awesome, greatly needed and much appreciated but dealing with the various unique contract dates and different arrival departure times is a huge pain in the ***.

Maybe increase schooling benefits for reserves (and regs) but the trade off being mandatory exercises and training.  That would of course need to involve employers like in the US.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline RCPalmer

• Rate Post
You mean... like... Regional (Reserve) Summer Training (RST) which is presently underway and has been since...well... forever?

This goes to prove there are no original ideas left in either Hollywood or Ottawa.  "The Mummy" and the Defence Policy are perfect examples of that.

If they mean full summers of employment, that would be a significant improvement.  In the current training model, we are only offering a few weeks of full time training.  For example, we might offer a member a 4 week BMQ or a 7 week Infmn DP1, but rarely will we offer those courses consecutively to both to train the member in a single summer and provide them with a full summer of employment.  That has a huge impact on the value proposition of the reserves for post-secondary students who need to work for that full 4 month summer break. 

Offline RCPalmer

• Rate Post
I think the reserves need to be revamped and take on a more obligatory service model.

Having privates, section platoon and company commanders pull out of exercises (or taskings) at the last minute constantly screws everything up.

Having reservists augment the reg force is awesome, greatly needed and much appreciated but dealing with the various unique contract dates and different arrival departure times is a huge pain in the ***.

Maybe increase schooling benefits for reserves (and regs) but the trade off being mandatory exercises and training.  That would of course need to involve employers like in the US.

I agree with you, but that commitment has to go both ways.  Last minute course/task cancellations, and/or date changes are increasingly becoming the norm these days, and we shouldn't be surprised when that impacts on the member's availability.  When the Army's commitment to a member is wishy-washy, it makes it very hard for the members to plan their lives, so they will hedge their bets.  There are cultural changes on both sides of the fence that will have to happen to see improvement in the PRes reliability piece.