Author Topic: The Gagetown Thread- Merged  (Read 305322 times)

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Just VOT'd, few questions about CFB Gagetown
« Reply #600 on: February 08, 2012, 07:48:16 »
I remember there being a lot of single young females. The great part was that lots of them actually wanted to talk to me   

Because you were a ticket out...
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline Snaketnk

• Rate Post
« Reply #601 on: February 08, 2012, 07:51:40 »
A lot of guys can't figure that out until after two marriages and declaring bankruptcy...

Seriously, be really careful around here, there's a lot of women out there to scam, or accuse you of illegal things. be wary.
-------
Pro Patria

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #602 on: February 08, 2012, 10:24:06 »
A lot of guys can't figure that out until after two marriages and declaring bankruptcy...

Seriously, be really careful around here, there's a lot of women out there to scam, or accuse you of illegal things. be wary.

This is not unique to Gagetown.  It happens everywhere there is a military base, especially the more remote ones.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #603 on: February 08, 2012, 10:58:33 »
There is no wireless internet available on base except for a few wired archaic computers at the JRs. Mess food is alright, but be prepared for long lines and not enough of the good stuff to go around.

Offline Hurricane

• Rate Post
« Reply #604 on: February 09, 2012, 22:42:07 »
You will luck out with 2x universities in Fredericton for the ladies situation. If you enjoy motorsports, Speedway 660 is a stones throw away in Geary and runs everything from Redneck Enduro races to Prostock (occasionally featuring ex NASCAR drivers). The shacks you stay in are nothing special, the usual cold war era shacks under repaired and over used. The main thing I recommend about Gagetown is to bring a car. You will need to pack a lunch just to go to the canex if you don't.

Offline Propat90

• Rate Post
CFB Gagetown Canex
« Reply #605 on: July 25, 2016, 18:56:26 »
I'm about 99% sure I have probably posted in the wrong subject, so before all of you key board warriors come out and lash me, I Apologize. I'm not the greatest navigation through the Internet. Anyways I've searched and found nothing on the forums about who actually (Businesses) honor the Canex plan in Fredericton. I've called the Canex, no answer and there isn't any info on line. So I'm just curious, thanks'

Offline marinemech

• Rate Post
    • NAVY.CA
Re: CFB Gagetown Canex
« Reply #606 on: July 25, 2016, 23:36:03 »
I know Canex has something worked out with OK Tire on Saint Mary's

Offline Arty39

• Rate Post
« Reply #607 on: August 21, 2016, 18:59:22 »
They have a sign of the partners in the store. I know for sure savages bike shop, Fredericton Outfitters, ok tire. But there is like 4 others.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #608 on: August 21, 2016, 21:34:41 »
You'll need to call the Canex when they're open for business.  Each outlet will be unique to some degree with their respective cities.  OK Tire is a common business across the country, but there "should" be several local business in Fredericton/Oromocto that will have arrangements between them and the Canex such as Jewlers, or Bike Shops etc.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -1500.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #609 on: August 22, 2016, 01:56:22 »
Go to the Canex web site. Registerand you'll be able to see who  takes part in the program. It also doesn't hurt to just ask the retailer if they have a military or Veteran discount.

Get your CF 1 card, pretty soon it'll be the only authorized ID for the CF :sarcasm:
Diversity includes adverse opinions, or it is not diversity.
Inclusive includes adverse opinions, or is not inclusive.

Offline kellar16

• Rate Post
Questions about gagetown
« Reply #610 on: October 03, 2016, 21:02:33 »
almost done my time at CFLRS and my next posting is gagetown for EGS Tech, my course doesn't start till September 2017. Basically I'm just curious what the living quarters are like in gagetown because I've heard we have to live on base for the first year, what are they like, can we have tvs and play stations and what not?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re:
« Reply #611 on: October 03, 2016, 21:18:16 »
Basically I'm just curious what the living quarters are like in gagetown because I've heard we have to live on base for the first year, what are they like, can we have tvs and play stations and what not?

For reference, perhaps Gagetown is ready for a merge,

Questions about gagetown
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,124283.msg1457769/topicseen.html#new

few questions about CFB Gagetown 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,104121.25.html
2 pages.

Have you recently been at CFB Gagetown ??? - ADVICE PLEASE 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=78298.25
2 pages.

Gagetown
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=94653.0

Fishing In Gagetown 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=25621.0

Gagetown Travel Info?
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=42042.0

Internet in the Gagetown shacks?
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=91158.0

etc...

Gagetown
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+gagetown&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=dgLzV_zhEcKC8QeZ0bngAQ&gws_rd=ssl#

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
Re: Questions about gagetown
« Reply #612 on: April 17, 2017, 11:13:51 »
Old post but just in case someone else has the same question and comes across this.

You'll be shacked in a room with other engineer trades including combat engineers. The building you're in also houses arty and armored crewmen pats.

The downside to this is you will be on the same PAT as a cbt arms trade so expect to be treated like it. CFSME Pat is where dreams go to die although the staff that was there when I left were really great guys. Mcpl Forget, Mcpl Leduc, Mcpl Thabone, and Warrant Snook. Not sure if they are still there. There are some taskings and you will have full inspections if you're in shacks.
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Offline Mikisew01

• Rate Post
Gagetown / Oromocto - Could it use a Gaming / Hobby Store?
« Reply #613 on: April 14, 2018, 14:35:31 »
So I am looking to my future medical release from the Regular Force and was wondering what the appetite for a gaming store would be if placed in the Oromocto area.  It would supply Games Workshop, Magic: The Gathering, and a variety of other wargaming and hobby supplies.  I think the closest one of this type is in Fredericton (Gamezilla) so was thinking our military population would like one closer.

Offline runormal

• Rate Post
Re: Gagetown / Oromocto - Could it use a Gaming / Hobby Store?
« Reply #614 on: April 14, 2018, 20:33:36 »
So I am looking to my future medical release from the Regular Force and was wondering what the appetite for a gaming store would be if placed in the Oromocto area.  It would supply Games Workshop, Magic: The Gathering, and a variety of other wargaming and hobby supplies.  I think the closest one of this type is in Fredericton (Gamezilla) so was thinking our military population would like one closer.

What advantage do you have over buying something online?

Offline Underway

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #615 on: April 14, 2018, 21:01:11 »
What advantage do you have over buying something online?

The main advantage a gaming store has is that it's a place to go and game.  Many ppl support their FNGS because of the events that they do and the community they build.  MTG is a perfect example.  You can order all the cards you want online but going into the store is where you generally play the tournaments.

But it is a hard row to hoe.

Offline gazorpazorpfield

• Rate Post
« Reply #616 on: April 15, 2018, 00:02:50 »
Is possible to keep your wargaming hobby if youre in the CAF? Im still deciding if i should sell off my entire collection before I eventually join. Is there a sizeable wargaming community within the CAF?
Recruiting Centre: Regina (SK)
Entry plan: Regular DEO
Choice 1: PILOT (Dropped)
Choice 2: MARS/NWO
Choice 3: ARMOUR OFFICER

Applied:        July 31/17
First Contact: Oct 03/17
CFAT/TSD:    Oct 24/17
Medical:        Nov 16/17
MOST:          Mar 09/18
Interview:     Mar 09/18
Medical supplementary forms submitted: Nov 22/17
Merit Listed:  Mar 12/18
Position Offered:   June 15/18 - NWO
Swearing In:   Aug 29/18
BMOQ:   Sep 10/18

Offline Mikisew01

• Rate Post
« Reply #617 on: April 15, 2018, 13:07:50 »
A high population of gamers for these type of games are military. In Wainwright the store there is about 50 percent military customer base.

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
« Reply #618 on: April 15, 2018, 16:31:07 »
Is possible to keep your wargaming hobby if youre in the CAF? Im still deciding if i should sell off my entire collection before I eventually join. Is there a sizeable wargaming community within the CAF?

There are a lot of Magic-playing, Catan collecting, D&D addicted, Risk-loving and  other various devoted board-game (war-gaming and otherwise) aficionados in the CAF. You’ll probably be quite surprised if that’s your thing. CAF has a very diverse population who enjoy many varied hobbies.
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline gazorpazorpfield

• Rate Post
« Reply #619 on: April 15, 2018, 20:17:41 »
Makes sense that military people are also wargamers. I have a lot of wh40k minis to move in case i bring them. Probably store them somewhere until i get a permanent posting then i can bring them over?
Recruiting Centre: Regina (SK)
Entry plan: Regular DEO
Choice 1: PILOT (Dropped)
Choice 2: MARS/NWO
Choice 3: ARMOUR OFFICER

Applied:        July 31/17
First Contact: Oct 03/17
CFAT/TSD:    Oct 24/17
Medical:        Nov 16/17
MOST:          Mar 09/18
Interview:     Mar 09/18
Medical supplementary forms submitted: Nov 22/17
Merit Listed:  Mar 12/18
Position Offered:   June 15/18 - NWO
Swearing In:   Aug 29/18
BMOQ:   Sep 10/18

Offline Chad.wiseman

• Rate Post
Gagetown
« Reply #620 on: June 14, 2018, 18:54:09 »
Heading to Gagetown in a few weeks for dp1.  Curious if there’s any access to public wifi on base?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Gagetown
« Reply #621 on: June 14, 2018, 19:37:42 »
Heading to Gagetown in a few weeks for dp1.  Curious if there’s any access to public wifi on base?

Wi-Fi upgrade at CFB Gagetown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA2y5SWhymo

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
Re: Gagetown
« Reply #622 on: June 17, 2018, 10:53:26 »

Think there is at the Martime Club.

McDonalds and Tim Hortons in Oromocto do too...

CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: The Gagetown Thread- Merged
« Reply #623 on: June 17, 2018, 14:15:55 »
Some guys said it took weeks and weeks for wifi to be connected in the shacks and by the time it was ready they were heading home.

Kitchen was horrible. Food was poor and they routinely ran out of main course meals. Which is weird because they generally know exactly how many people to cook for since it's a training base.

Gym was overrun with children and teenagers.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
« Reply #624 on: July 21, 2018, 12:39:03 »

Gagetown had a gaming club that met on Thursdays when I was there. There is also Gamezilla in fredericton for 40k/aos, etc. Its a good community and the people are nice enough.
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.