Author Topic: SIGINT  (Read 24130 times)

FieldRat

SIGINT
« on: January 12, 2005, 08:11:47 »

Have seen some reference to this trade (SIGINT) in the CANFORGEN.  Wondering if anyone has some information regarding this trade?  interested for reason's of possible remuster and want as much info as possible.

Thanks for any info you might have.

FR

chaos75

Re: SIGINT
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 10:34:18 »
SIGINT is not a trade, it is a form of information collection that can be turned into intelligence.   Applicable trades are Intelligence, Sigs, and Comms Research.   For more info on what they do, check out the recruiting page. :cdn:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 17:57:56 by chaos75 »

Offline Ex-fusilier

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 17:39:31 »
SIGINT is not a trade, Comm Rsch (291) is the only trade that deals with SIGINT.  It is our niche, int ops do not deal with SIGINT except for reading our reports.  Fieldrat, what CANFORGEN are you referring to?  I have never, nor do I expect to, see a CANFORGEN regarding SIGINT.  Maybe you're confused with HUMINT, I have seen CANFORGENs relating to the HUMINT crse.  SIGINT tends to be highly classified....

aesop081

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 17:47:21 »
.... SIGINT tends to be highly classified....

...and if its like ELINT in my trade.....when continuing this thread , remember OPSEC !!

Offline Hoplite

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 18:39:09 »
This is the NSA's defintion of SIGINT:

Signals Intelligence is technical and intelligence information derived from the exploitation of foreign electronic emissions which is comprised either individually or in combination of communications intelligence (COMINT), electronic intelligence (ELINT), and foreign instrumentation signals intelligence (FISINT).

291er is right.  Comm Rsch is a trade to consider if SIGINT is something that you are interested in. 

Fieldrat, feel free to message me if you have any questions about Comm Rsch (291).  I will tell you what I can.

Cheers

Offline Ex-fusilier

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 20:18:00 »
Same goes for me field, feel free to gimme a shout.
WRT OPSEC, aesop, I was'nt planning to go into the particulars of SIGINT, I was simply stating that it tends to be classified, that's why I would be surprised to see a CANFORGEN on it.  I just checked the CANFORGEN's for the past two years, there is none regarding SIGINT, I think our friend has it confused with HUMINT.

aesop081

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 20:19:56 »
WRT OPSEC, aesop, I was'nt planning to go into the particulars of SIGINT, I was simply stating that it tends to be classified, that's why I would be surprised to see a CANFORGEN on it.   I just checked the CANFORGEN's for the past two years, there is none regarding SIGINT, I think our friend has it confused with HUMINT.

Yeah, i think HUMIT was what he was thinking of.  I didn't think for a second that OPSEC would be violtaed but just saying what i said sometimes eliminates questions that we just can't answer.

Cheers

Offline Ex-fusilier

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 21:08:10 »
seen...this is true, this is true, too many questions = no fun

FieldRat

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 16:14:26 »
Thanks for the info guys,

The mention of (SIGINT) I was talking about in the CANFORGEN though was just the name in the HUMINT posting.

Cheers,

FR

Offline Radop

• VVV
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2005, 19:01:49 »
WRT OPSEC, aesop, I was'nt planning to go into the particulars of SIGINT, I was simply stating that it tends to be classified, that's why I would be surprised to see a CANFORGEN on it.   I just checked the CANFORGEN's for the past two years, there is none regarding SIGINT, I think our friend has it confused with HUMINT.
Yes but if you want a real signals trade contact me.  Just kidding 291er.  I don't know what I would do without you guys not jamming, spoofing or generally screwing us over. lol guys
Radop
VVV
-----------------------
The Cnd soldier loves to *****, it is the leaders responsibility to determine whether that bitching is good natured fun or a serious problem that needs dwelving into.

Offline Ex-fusilier

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2005, 19:47:12 »
what's that?  Sorry Radop can't hear you over all that money I'm making with my spec pay :P
sorry for the burn, its really the only thing we can hold over you, and you're right, we're not a true signals trade per se, more closely affiliated with Int.  In the States most of our trade equivalents are in the Int community I believe.

Offline HFXCrow

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2005, 21:32:43 »
"Comm Rsch (291) is the only trade that deals with SIGINT"

you must be new at this game 291er!!!! (wait)

I just checked your profile and I was right, 5 years in, no medals, no operational experience. Just a trip to the Coffee Shop at 101 and maybe a bus trip back to Uplands.

Do some research first, learn about different agencies working within the NCR and the Coasts.Call your own school and find out what courses they running and some of the different trades that attending these specialty courses. You will be amazed!!!

Lets call it some professional development training.

Typical........
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 21:44:40 by NCRCrow »
Enjoying the ride and doesn't want to get off

aesop081

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2005, 22:01:27 »

I just checked your profile and I was right, 5 years in, no medals, no operational experience. Just a trip to the Coffee Shop at 101 and maybe a bus trip back to Uplands.

Do some research first, learn about different agencies working within the NCR and the Coasts.Call your own school and find out what courses they running and some of the different trades that attending these specialty courses. You will be amazed!!!

Typical........

Maybe you could elighten the rest of us......

Offline Ex-fusilier

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2005, 22:12:30 »
I will rephase that.....291 is the main trade that deals with SIGINT.....other trades may deal with it, but it is our bread and butter.  Definitely other trades deal with it, it is a form of intelligence.....
As for your attack on me and my career experience, completely unwarranted.  I did not say that I was the SIGINT know-it-all, just trying to share what I do know.  Who are you to say that I have no operational experience when in fact, your profile says nothing at all WRT to any of your experience??  As far as the different agencies working within the NCR and coasts....that was'nt the topic of this discussion...if you had bothered to read the rest of it, you would know that.....I know very well what the other agencies are and what they do.  I worked in an environment for the past year in which I provided just that sort of information with the higher echelon and decision makers at DND, including the CDS.....I don't need to do any research of the sort
Here's some professional development for you, think before you speak and work on your people skills

Offline HFXCrow

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2005, 22:28:50 »
Thanks for the career advice!

aesop081

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2005, 22:30:40 »
Gents...keep it civil......

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2005, 22:42:29 »

Typical........

Nice to be able to hide behind a blank profile isn't it. I can see you will be lasting here.
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

aesop081

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2005, 22:49:08 »
Thats never happened on this site before !!!

Offline brin11

• Rate Post
  • Gun Plumber
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2005, 10:23:38 »
NCRCrow,

Personal attacks will not be tolerated on these boards.  You could have gotten your point across without making it personal like you did.  Watch your step.
The enemy's gate is down.

Offline HFXCrow

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2005, 17:35:24 »
brin11, 291er:
Wilco,will practice better EMCON! Apologies to 291er and the Forum.

Crow Out

Offline Ex-fusilier

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2005, 21:52:48 »
rgr that crow.....no worries mate....water off a ducks back.....cheers

Offline Radop

• VVV
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2005, 22:25:08 »
what's that?   Sorry Radop can't hear you over all that money I'm making with my spec pay :P
sorry for the burn, its really the only thing we can hold over you, and you're right, we're not a true signals trade per se, more closely affiliated with Int.   In the States most of our trade equivalents are in the Int community I believe.
I wouldn't say that your not part of the sigs trade and int is now looking to become part of the sigs branch.  I think that we all have a job to do and can do it together.  Did you ever know Gus Dubois?  I worked for him in Rwanda.  When I talked about radios, he laughed and would say things like did we jam that on you ... ooops.  He was fun to be with and I have a few friends that are 291ers.
Radop
VVV
-----------------------
The Cnd soldier loves to *****, it is the leaders responsibility to determine whether that bitching is good natured fun or a serious problem that needs dwelving into.

Offline Ex-fusilier

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2005, 23:55:07 »
agree with you on that much.....we're all one big happy family....gus is out now I think....I have a few sig op friends as well, we all suffer together in B Sqn at CFSCE now hehehe

Offline Radop

• VVV
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2005, 16:47:16 »
agree with you on that much.....we're all one big happy family....gus is out now I think....I have a few sig op friends as well, we all suffer together in B Sqn at CFSCE now hehehe

Yeah Gus is out now.  Raberta Bilingsley (sp) was in Rwanda and Afghanistan with me as well.  She told me he retired about 2 yrs ago.  At least in your trade, klingon is a recognized language, just ask Cpl Campbell.
Radop
VVV
-----------------------

Offline Bender842

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2006, 22:42:03 »
signals intelligence (SIGINT): 1. A category of intelligence comprising, either individually or in combination, all communications intelligence, electronics intelligence, and foreign instrumentation signals intelligence, however transmitted. [JP 1-02] 2. Intelligence derived from communications, electronics, and foreign instrumentation signals. [JP 1-02]

SIGINT
SIGINT is actually a broad discipline under which multiple sub-disciplines fall. There are three major sub-disciplines that fall under SIGINT which are COMmunications INTelligence (COMINT), ELectronic INTelligence (ELINT), and Foreign Instrumentation Signals INTelligence (FISINT). It should be noted that COMINT is commonly referred to as SIGINT, which can cause confusion when talking about the broader intelligence disciplines.

SIGINT became far more central to military (and to some extent diplomatic) intelligence generally with the mechanization of armies, development of blitzkrieg tactics, use of submarine and commerce raiders warfare, and the development of practicable radio communications. For example, failure to properly protect its communications fatally compromised the Russian Army in its advance early in WWI and led to their disastrous defeat by the Germans under Ludendorff and Hindenburg at the Battle of Tannenberg. Similarly, the interception and decryption of the Zimmerman telegram was an important factor in the US decision to enter the War.

On the negative side, the inability of British commanders to take seriously traffic analysis information from intercepts was instrumental in the failure to achieve more than they did at the Battle of Jutland, thus losing what might have been a major opportunity.

The use of SIGINT had important implications during WWII as well. Early on, Admiralty dismissal of SIGINT information (also traffic analysis in this instance) contributed to the loss of HMS Glorious in 1940. The Allied ability to intercept and decrypt the German Enigma "E Traffic" and Japanese Purple (Magic) traffic proved to be a great military advantage. The combined effort of intercepts and cryptanalysis for the whole of the British forces in WWII came under the code name (Ultra) controlled from Station X (Bletchley Park). Perhaps most dramatically, intercepts of Japanese naval communications yielded information that gave Admiral Nimitz the upper hand in the ambush that resulted in the Japanese Navy's defeat at the Battle of Midway, six months after the Pearl Harbor disaster.

As sensitive information is often encrypted, SIGINT often involves the use of cryptanalysis. However, traffic analysis--the study of who is signalling who and in what quantity--can often produce valuable information, even when the messages themselves cannot be decrypted.

Intelligence derived from any of the SIGINT disciplines are very sensitive due to the ability to determine the source of the information. By determining the source of the intelligence information, the enemy can deny access or even send deceptive information to confuse and otherwise reduce the trustworthiness of the information.

The UKUSA Community is an alliance of English-speaking nations led by the United States and United Kingdom for the purpose of gathering intelligence via signals intelligence.

The UKUSA constituent agencies are:

Australia - Defence Signals Directorate (DSD)
Canada - Communications Security Establishment (CSE)
New Zealand - Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB)
United Kingdom - Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ)
United States - National Security Agency (NSA)
One role of the UKUSA Community is to service the ECHELON system. (now dont take the echelon concept too seriously)

http://www.tscm.com/cseukusa.html (great reading about the ukusa community)

If you have any questions regarding sigint and how canada is involved and it's different departments entities and such, just ask, I did some extensive research and studies in that deparment, also I did my QL3 as a comm rsch (bailed out a few weeks before grad) with ex-fusiller.

Join in the new game that's sweeping the country.  It's called "Bureaucracy".  Everybody stands in a circle.  The first person to do anything loses.