Author Topic: Construction Technician (merged)  (Read 35360 times)

Magma

Construction Technician (merged)
« on: January 17, 2005, 20:27:06 »
I am seriously thinking of joining up since I noticed you can be a Construction worker or engineer and stuff. I was thinking most likely be a reservist since I want to save up for school and stuff.

Anyways what I want to ask is if you want to be placed in the Construction Technician  feild does that still require going through basic Training then you get placed in the CT area or you can start right in the CT area?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 20:36:36 by Michael OLeary »

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
Re: Heres my question.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 20:36:06 »
Select "648 Construction Technician" from the Regular or Reserve NCM trade selector here for more info:

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/army/jobs_e.aspx

Yes, you will have to do basic training for this trade.

Offline tron

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 08:03:57 »
Where does the trade Construction Tech. fall within an engineering unit.   My civilian background is civil engineering & I had hoped to join as a Combat Engineer however my eyesight is V4. I am looking for any additional information on the Const. Tech trade that someone could add.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Construction Tech
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 14:05:04 »
They are in the construction troop of a CER, however they can also be found in 1 Engr Sp Unit (1 ESU), in airfield engineer squadrons, and in working for most bases around the country.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 14:11:12 by MCG »

Offline Feral

• Rate Post
  • Profile cleaned.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 20:33:57 »
My old trade, how I miss thee!

Actually it's a pretty good trade, although as a civil engineer you might be slightly overqualified. I was with an Airfield Engineering unit for 7 years but I got attached to 1 CER to go to Kosovo, so it is an interesting mix of the Air Force and the Army.. Plus, if you get on with an AE unit, there are tons of great exchanges with the US Air National Guard, lots of overseas construction projects, some tours, some as little as a month. I had a lot of fun (been to Hawaii, Dallas, Alert (up north), Kosovo, all over Canada).

Offline Sapper24

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 23:27:42 »
Just a few questions, might seem kinda dumb but I'm interested in the Construction tech trade. What exactly do the Construction Techs do? Is there main purpose just to build buildings and such for the forces? and what reg force Combat Engineer Regiments have a Construction Tech detachment? :cdn:

Offline Feral

• Rate Post
  • Profile cleaned.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 12:11:53 »
Construction techs are glorified (ok maybe not glorified) carpenters. They are tasked with building structures from the ground up, or surveying land areas, or putting down concrete for rapid runway repair, or renovations, or installing AC units.. Some of the them work on outside projects, such as Habitat for Humanity (good PR for the Forces), or working with Cadets and Scouts and helping keep their facilities up to snuff. As a Construction Tech you might not be posted to an Army unit though, you could also go to an Airfield Engineering Flight. That means you could end up in Alert (Nunavut) for 6 months doing station maintenance (everything from replacing door knobs and building elaborate TV stands to putting windows in buildings and redoing floors). Once you get high enough you'll start being in charge of crews of guys, basically being a contractor supervising sub-trades.

Offline Zombie

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 19:19:44 »
This primary duty of Cbt Eng's has me wondering what the relationship is between them and Construction Techs and how similar the roles are with respect to construction:

Construct and maintain roads, airfields, heliports, bridges, causeways, rafts, permanent and temporary buildings.

Any input is appreciated.

aesop081

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 19:24:01 »
This primary duty of Cbt Eng's has me wondering what the relationship is between them and Construction Techs and how similar the roles are with respect to construction:

Construct and maintain roads, airfields, heliports, bridges, causeways, rafts, permanent and temporary buildings.

Any input is appreciated.

combat engineers tend to build what i would term "field expedient" things.  Assault bridges such as MGB, MR/MFB and EWBB.  Construction tends to be more "rough" ( we were bulding OPs in croatia by using shainsaws vice more precise tools).  043s tend to this in the face of the enemy as oposed to rear areas where more permanent structures are built by the CE types.

Offline HADES 1962

• Rate Post
  • I have a Cunning Plan
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 19:39:17 »
Construction engineers (myself I am a construction tech) do basically all that construction workers on civvy street does.
Wood frame construction, concrete, roofing,drywall, painting, glazing(Glass work), drafting design, cabinets building, etc .
when deployed we maintain the camps along with other airfield engineerings trades such as plumming and heating, electrical (commercial , industrial, residential), refrigeration, water treatment.
All construction engineering trades are done at CFSME in Gagetown, each QL 3 trade varies from 8 months to 11 months.
It took 8 years to my re-muster to this and have no regrets.
As for having a back ground in civil engineering if there is a degree I would diffidently recommend becoming a Airfield Engineering Officer.
Once a Gunner, always a Gunner

Offline JackD

• jackd
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 15:19:09 »
Since I'm reading - finally - about Ce tech - how are the barracks in Alert holding up? I worked on the Op Trelar project in 1976.. and would really like to know.... My posting after that was to Egypt -I darn near died from the difference in temperature... You know, that was a great year....

Offline HADES 1962

• Rate Post
  • I have a Cunning Plan
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 19:41:47 »
JackD,
In response to your question of the barracks in Alert , I have no Idea, but we have a few members returning from there soon, so I shall ask of their conditions.
Yes I would think a drastic temperature change would affect the body in a negative way.

CHIMO
Once a Gunner, always a Gunner

Offline JackD

• jackd
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 16:34:01 »
Thanks - sure would like to know, as a lot of improvisation was done - much of the subflooring was bashed up by a forklift so it had to be hammered out, the wall panels got wet somehow so the insulation was chunks of ice and had to be pulled out and replaced... and so on - a lot of brute work but fantastic food. If i remember correctly, anything of 90 hours per week paid overtime - unique to the project and if memory serves me correctly, I did 110 hours one week - the midnight sun and being 19... As for Egypt, well tents in the airfield, Atco trailer for ablutions, camp cots, flies, water-buffalo steak...and one tool box.... we used rocks to bang in nails on that job... God it was great!

Offline Feral

• Rate Post
  • Profile cleaned.
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2005, 18:48:04 »
Last time I was in Alert was 2000, and the buildings were fine.. Things are getting a little old, so being a carpenter in Alert does give you some benefits like putting new carpet in your room, new clean ceilling tiles and new paint on the walls.. But otherwise fine. I've also got a friend up there right now and he hasn't complained about anything to me.

Chimo!

Offline JackD

• jackd
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 17:03:33 »
Great to know! Nice to have done one thing in life that has lasted the decades..... I'm sure the cooking on the station is as good as it was in '76, but the million dollar dump has gone up a few more zeros in value...

Offline plumber

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 00:30:07 »
i was moc613 pgftr alert was my second home . posted cfb trenton 1983 to 1990 that was the main support base for alert as a construction engineer at trenton you spent an average of 20 weeks a year up in alert doing everything related to your tread and helping other trades such as carpenters and elec. never a dull moment
Once a royal always a royal

Offline cp

• Rate Post
construction techs?
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 20:38:21 »
if there are any construction techs reading this I got a couple of questions for you.  i'm a carpenter civy side, and in an infantry molitia unit, and I've been thinking if I can do both as a reg force construction tech, that might be alright.  Any way my questions
- Is it unrealistic to try to transfer to const. tech, or is it something you have to remuster from the regs into
- Do you guys typically get to do alot of actual carpentry, or is it a base fix it guy kind of thing
- what kind of deployments do you get

Would apprectiate any info, thanks

Offline Feral

• Rate Post
  • Profile cleaned.
Re: construction techs?
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 22:05:19 »
Carpenters in the military can do a lot of carpentry. I don't know much about the ACTs (Army side), but working base side and with AEFs (Air Force side) I got a lot of experience with actual carpentry. Base side you do tend to do more maintenance, but there were lots of interesting projects to work on. You can be in the Regs or in the Reserves as a carpenter (depending on the units near you, I think you would need to talk to a recruiting center about that part). As for deployments, well, as an engineer you can go across Canada on construction projects, down to the US on exchange projects, or overseas to pretty much anywhere the CF goes. If you wanted to go away, the opportunity was always there when I was in. I think it's a great trade, but then again, I'm a little biased. Any other questions feel free ask or PM me.

Offline EX_RCAC_011

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Confirmation of combat knowledge (C.O.C.K)
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 22:17:41 »
My neighbour is a carpenter.After returning from Jamaica on a carpentry exchange(some southern good go country anyway)He dagged for Afghanistan.This has been within the past 4 months!
"Sure everything looks bad if you remember.....now where are my chili boot?"

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007, 16:19:36 »
...I've been thinking if I can do both as ...
Make sure you know where on this spectrum you want to be.  As a CE guy, you will not be doing any of the infantry stuff.  If this is important to you, you might be happier as a Cbt Engr.

I don't know much about the ACTs ...
I've watched the 1 CER Construction Troop build a house for Habitat for Humanity, Construct the CFB Edm conflict resolution centre, deploy almost as a whole on Op ARCHER R00 to develop the facilities of Camp Nathan Smith, Expand rec facilities in CFB Shilo for the move of 2 PPCLI, deploy to Jamaica to conduct several improvements to the Jamaican staff school . . .   Basicly, life in a CT should involve a lot of projects which achieve needs of the army & maintain/develop the skills of the troop (It happens that we may not always be able to do both at the same time).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 16:22:23 by MCG »

Offline Cdn_Chimo

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 00:09:37 »
I am posted to an AEF in Comox and our carpenters are UBER busy with projects...PM me if you have any more questions. I'm the training/ops NCO.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night
only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Offline daship

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 12:17:02 »
Hey All... I posted this in the air force section as well, but am not sure if i will be remustering to army or air force... any input would be appreciated

I wrote a while back as to weather or not to become an ATIS tech or Construction tech with a compulsorary remuster from the navy... Well I have decided on construction tech and I was wondering if anybody could give me an outlook as to what I can expect. I have heard that the 3's are done in gagetown and that they last approximately 9 months. I am unconfirmed on this and would love some input from you all. Also as to my first posting and my 5's etc... I am an east coaster (why I joined the navy) and I was wondering how much chance I had of staying in the East (NB or NS). I know that everything is up yo the career manager, but I would just like a sence of where things stand with the trade and whether or not I am going to end up in Dundurn (not that there is anything wrong with that...) I would prefer to stay in Halifax if I could but, don't know if that is realistic. I was thinking maybe gagetown and I also heard that there is a pretty big contingent in Moncton. Any input would be great. 
Thanks
Shawn

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Regimental Headquarter Staff
Re: what to expect from construction tech
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 12:27:11 »
The courses will be done at CFSME Construction Engineer Training Squadron (CETS), and Construction and Airfield Engineer Squadron (CAES).

CETS is responsible for training the construction tradespeople up to QL5. This includes MOC 641 (Refrigeration & Mechanical Tech), 642 (Electrical Distribution Tech), 643 (Electrical Generation Systems Tech), 646 (Plumbing & Heating Tech), 647 (Water, Fuels & Environmental Tech), and 648 (Construction Tech). CAES is responsible for training MOC 649 (Construction Engineer Superintendent) and MOC 46 (Airfield Engineer officer), as well as for instructing other Military Engineer MOCs on support to airfields and infrastructure management.
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 12:54:14 »
You could try to get posted to CE in Windsor Park - they have a small military section there.  You could always go see the boys there and ask them what to expect - they tend to be a friendly bunch with lots of advice..
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]

Offline kratz

Happy 150th.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 16:23:08 »
Don't get me wrong, but Willow park is a few feet away from Windsor park. The CE people in Willow park have helped my old office get many items worked out real quick.  Good folks every one of them.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 07:28:57 »
Don't get me wrong, but Willow park is a few feet away from Windsor park. The CE people in Willow park have helped my old office get many items worked out real quick.  Good folks every one of them.

Dang - knew I would switch them again.  Always had that problem even when I worked there.
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]

Offline BernDawg

• Wood Butcher
  • Rate Post
  • Retired... workin' harder than ever!
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2008, 10:05:14 »
First off you can expect to work.  Not that other trades don't but one thing I find about being a CT is that there is always something to do.  Always something to build or a project on the bench to be worked on.
As for your training it is 9-10 months long for your 3's but you do learn alot and are pretty much ready to work when you get to your unit.
If you have any specific questions put 'em up I can answer them here on via PM if you rather.

Cheers
BernDawg
"Woodbutcher"
"We can't all be heroes... because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."  Will Rogers
Someone has to be last.  At least if it's me I know where all the assholes are.

Offline NFLD SPR

• Rate Post
Construct tech Corner
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2009, 11:33:16 »
Well I figured i could start a Thread for people to either ask questions or talk shop, lets see how it flies.

Been a carpenter Since 2003, i have alot to learn like everyone, but i have alot of knowledge to share as well.

Chimo!

Offline greydak

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 09:14:39 »
Anyone know how the Construction Technician trade is? Pros & Cons? I'd like to hear for someone in the job?
Who Dares Wins

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Construction Technician?
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 09:35:29 »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline airforcemissingthearmy

• Rate Post
  • Fais ce que dois, advienne que pourras
Re: Construct tech Corner
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2010, 01:11:00 »
Hey NFLD SPR, been const tech since 2001 transferred from combat engineer reserve. Air Force posting right now and not particularly enjoying but still livable. Been on tour yet? We are finally getting decent deployment wise with my shop but promotion made me miss the boat... can't have it all I guess. Would be nice to get over there before the party is over... even on a TAV... but I would need to be with 14 or 192 for that!

Offline CalgaryCanuck

• Rate Post
Const Tech
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2011, 20:45:44 »
Hey forum readers, after 5 years in the infantry I have decided it was time to try something new so I took advantage of the SVOTP program and transferred to Construction Tech (Not Combat engineer). It was my first choice but I have terrible colour vision, and I didn't really have much to choose from, but it sounds like a good go.

So I tried a search on this (I hear this place if famous for telling people to use the search feature) and I couldn't come up with anything on the course it's self. If anyone can tell me what the course is like that would be appreciated. Obviously I am not looking forward to living in shacks and marching around and getting inspected again and what not, but will we be confined to barracks on weekdays? Thats the kind of stuff I would like to know ahead of time.

Thanks.

Offline TN2IC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Const Tech
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2011, 20:58:40 »
The QL3 is taught in Halifax NS.....They go to the local NSCC.

And they don't march around. TN drives them to the school each day. Plus they get box lunches. And week ends off.

Tough life huh? ;D

Offline CalgaryCanuck

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2011, 21:09:10 »
Sounds pretty decent, can't complain about any of that.. but I think I am going to Gagetown for my course, it's an airforce trade.

Offline TN2IC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2011, 16:20:19 »
Yes the main school is in Gagetown. But they go down to Halifax for their training. And down there, you"ll be staying on an air force base.

aesop081

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2011, 16:56:02 »
but I think I am going to Gagetown for my course, it's an airforce trade.

FYI, Gagetown is primarily an army base.

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2011, 17:42:08 »
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
  • Insert deep thought.....
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2011, 13:47:10 »
All DP1 CE type trades (CE, RM, EGS, etc) CAN be taught at NSCC, however that is only done when CFSME is full of other courses. DP1 only, all others are taught at CFSME.

We have limited real estate and can only run so many courses at the same time (same as every other school really), however intake for these courses in the recent past (and for the foreseeable future) has been greater than CFSME capacity, hence the contract with NSCC for overflow.

Wook
Why are there swamps on top of hills?

Offline pfinlayson

• Rate Post
  • Joining the Engineers
    • Housewright Building & Restoration
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2011, 23:58:40 »
I am a Carpenter looking at joining the 192 engineering flight. 

How much training beyond a Journeyman's ticket does a construction tech require to complete their trades training?  Are there any guidelines one could expect for advancement (I am interested in getting some leadership training under my belt)?

aesop081

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2011, 00:03:09 »
  Are there any guidelines one could expect for advancement (I am interested in getting some leadership training under my belt)?

You need to gain experience in the military context and prove you have leadership potential and earn your way up. Advancement is merit based and competitive.

Offline pfinlayson

• Rate Post
  • Joining the Engineers
    • Housewright Building & Restoration
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2011, 10:23:18 »
I am not expecting any handouts.  I know that I am going to be starting out, military-wise, at square 1 (or 1b, I was in cadets throughout my teenage years, and completed some reserve training in another life).  And I expect, like in any other employment, that promotions will come on a combination of my ability and the employer's needs.

Are there any guidelines for advancement? 

aesop081

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2011, 11:49:54 »

Are there any guidelines for advancement?

There are minimum time requirement in each rank and required qualifications before a person can get promoted to the next rank. Having those prerequisites does not mean one gets promoted. If you served in the reserves before, you should already understand this.

Offline Grim

• Rate Post
Construction Technician
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2014, 10:09:30 »
hey this is my first post i am always on here reading, i have been looking for information on the trade of Construction Tech, i have an OT in now and have been in since 2007 so i know there is stuff about the trade that the recruitment website does not share i was just wondering if i could get any info on what to expect, is the QL3 course (trade course) easy or does it go into alot of detail.
are there any special tasking construction techs can go on or any special training, heavy vehicle for example.
Just wondering if anyone one can give some details on stuff not listed on the forces.ca website

thank you in advance.

:cdn:

Offline BernDawg

• Wood Butcher
  • Rate Post
  • Retired... workin' harder than ever!
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2014, 17:32:36 »
CT is a technical course. Make sure your math is good to go. When I say math I really mean brush up on what you did in high school. At the Engineer School you'll be learning the Construction trade (at least we did in 2000) so be prepared for that. Working with hand tools then power tools for the construction industry. You will be learning all facets of structural construction, from laying flooring to putting on a roof. Wood work and wood framing make up a large portion of the course as does concrete and concrete block work. There is a short field portion where you'll be employed and learning about setting up a camp for x number of personnel. For any past Cbt Arms pers it's a bit of a joke but keep your mouth shut about the stoopidness and help your course mates get through. Some of them have never been in the field before.. 
As for special courses those will be taught later on, especially if you get posted to a field unit after your 3's. Must of the guys I know that were posted to a field troop were employed as truck drivers most of the time.. Airforce postings go to work straight off as a tradesman as well as the Naval Construction Troops. Sometimes individuals get attached to the local CE section and get to do work orders with the base pers. It's all good just stay sharp and learn from everyone.
I was a retread to CT in 2000 after 15 years in the Patricia's and I do not regret it for one minute. When I retired from the CF I had a trade, Red Seal ticket and a certification from ASTTBC http://www.asttbc.org/  all of that lead to my current employment which I also really enjoy.
Best of luck!
Cheers
Bern
"We can't all be heroes... because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."  Will Rogers
Someone has to be last.  At least if it's me I know where all the assholes are.

Offline Grim

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2014, 08:14:27 »
Got my VOT to construction tech, i am so pumped, heard some rumors that there is a really long waiting list to get on QL3 and will spend at least a year on PAT platoon.
Anyone know anything about this or have some where i can look to find out when course are strating.
I was on the Gagetown website but could not find any course dates.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2014, 13:18:37 »
One slated for 18 Sep according to the CFSME schedule.

Offline Grim

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2014, 09:11:33 »
could you give me  a link so i can view the CFSME schedule?

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Regimental Headquarter Staff
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2014, 19:21:11 »
could you give me  a link so i can view the CFSME schedule?

DWAN only link.....
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Jamie2319

• Rate Post
Construction technician
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2014, 18:15:26 »
I have a very strong interest in joining the canadian armed forces but I want to make sure I make the right choice as to what I sign up for so I have some questions about a construction technician.

As a construction technician what sort of feild exercises do they do?
 What do they do on a day to day basis?
Are they eligible to apply to specialized units such as sar tech?
 Once they are done all of their training as a construction technician are they still able to take parachute courses and survival courses?
How often do construction technicians get promoted?

Offline Jamie2319

• Rate Post
Re: Construction technician
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2014, 00:13:35 »
Is there a big difference between construction tech and combat tech? They seem sort of the same.

Offline Jamie2319

• Rate Post
Re: Construction Technician (merged)
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2014, 11:35:36 »
So combat engineers pretty much do the same
Job as construction techs just combat engineers do other things as well?

Offline Capt. Happy

• Every day is Monday in the Engr Corps
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2014, 13:17:43 »
No. Construction Techs are a cross between framing carpenters, painters, masons, drywallers and finish carpenters. Combat Engineers do a small amount of rough carpentry, but the rest of our trade is a complete 180 from what the 600 series guys do. If you use the search function here you'll see what Cbt Engr do and what is involved in OT to SAR Tech.

Offline Carpenter

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2015, 19:57:52 »
Hey there.

I head off to BMQ in 3 days.  I will be doing construction tech after that.

I was just wondering, can anyone give me a day to day in the life of?  Recruiter told me a bit, but he wasnt one himself, so couldn't speak to specifics.  I have been working in carpentry for 9.5 years.  6.5 years framing and 3 years renos.  I did production framing, so speed was key.  Wasn't uncommon for us to frame walls, stand, frame floor and sheet in a day.  In renos,   I did a lot of fixing framing, forming/placing concrete, drywall patching and doing boring ***** square face trim (its the style now..)

I assume it will be different on each base, just a general idea. 

What about deployment?  Postings?  I suppose that all depends on the needs of the forces.  What are your personal experiences?

Thanks.

Offline Bradboy

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2015, 09:12:37 »
Just signed my VOT offer to Construction Tech! I'm hoping for an attach posting to 2CER construction troop and to attend the QL3 course starting in September. Just wondering how many others are waiting to go on this course? I fully expect to be doing OJT for at least a year before I go on course, but it'd be nice to get qualified right away.

I don't have any formal training in this trade so it's going to be a steep learning curve! I'm eager to learn though and truly enjoy constructing something out of nothing.

Are there any CT's on here that can shed some light on what a CT "apprentice" can expect to be doing during OJT? What they experienced during OJT and how life in a construction troop or with Base CE is?

"Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise."   Tommy Douglas - Greatest Canadian

Offline Newfie709

• Rate Post
Construction technician.
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2016, 17:29:03 »
I am wondering if there are any construction techs out there that can fill me in on a little information. I have looked on the forces.ca website and watched the videos but still can't find the answer. After you complete the first 29 week course you there go and do your ojt somewhere. I am wondering what bases are optional to complete your ojt at. Can the ojt be done in gagetown right where you first do your 29 week course? If someone can help with this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton!

Offline caocao

• Rate Post
Re: Construction technician.
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2016, 17:55:53 »
Yes it is possible.  It just depends on how many pers are already there doing their OJT and if the folks at CE can accommodate another pers.

Offline Newfie709

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2016, 22:14:17 »
Perfect, thank you.

Offline Carpenteer

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2017, 12:37:23 »
I am a current Construction Technician, if anyone has any questions feel free to send me a personal message. I'm sure I can clear up a lot of the misconceptions about the construction trades in the forces.

I know this is a dormant thread, I'm posting here for people in the future that may find this with the search function.

Everywhere

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2017, 12:45:52 »
Dormant or not, this thread is the 5th ranked page when you search Google for "Construction Technician". Your offer to help prospective applicants to your trade is greatly appreciated.