Author Topic: Construction Technician (merged)  (Read 35359 times)

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: what to expect from construction tech
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 07:28:57 »
Don't get me wrong, but Willow park is a few feet away from Windsor park. The CE people in Willow park have helped my old office get many items worked out real quick.  Good folks every one of them.

Dang - knew I would switch them again.  Always had that problem even when I worked there.
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]

Offline BernDawg

• Wood Butcher
  • Rate Post
  • Retired... workin' harder than ever!
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2008, 10:05:14 »
First off you can expect to work.  Not that other trades don't but one thing I find about being a CT is that there is always something to do.  Always something to build or a project on the bench to be worked on.
As for your training it is 9-10 months long for your 3's but you do learn alot and are pretty much ready to work when you get to your unit.
If you have any specific questions put 'em up I can answer them here on via PM if you rather.

Cheers
BernDawg
"Woodbutcher"
"We can't all be heroes... because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."  Will Rogers
Someone has to be last.  At least if it's me I know where all the assholes are.

Offline NFLD SPR

• Rate Post
Construct tech Corner
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2009, 11:33:16 »
Well I figured i could start a Thread for people to either ask questions or talk shop, lets see how it flies.

Been a carpenter Since 2003, i have alot to learn like everyone, but i have alot of knowledge to share as well.

Chimo!

Offline greydak

• Rate Post
Construction Technician (merged)
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 09:14:39 »
Anyone know how the Construction Technician trade is? Pros & Cons? I'd like to hear for someone in the job?
Who Dares Wins

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Construction Technician?
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 09:35:29 »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline airforcemissingthearmy

• Rate Post
  • Fais ce que dois, advienne que pourras
Re: Construct tech Corner
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2010, 01:11:00 »
Hey NFLD SPR, been const tech since 2001 transferred from combat engineer reserve. Air Force posting right now and not particularly enjoying but still livable. Been on tour yet? We are finally getting decent deployment wise with my shop but promotion made me miss the boat... can't have it all I guess. Would be nice to get over there before the party is over... even on a TAV... but I would need to be with 14 or 192 for that!

Offline CalgaryCanuck

• Rate Post
Const Tech
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2011, 20:45:44 »
Hey forum readers, after 5 years in the infantry I have decided it was time to try something new so I took advantage of the SVOTP program and transferred to Construction Tech (Not Combat engineer). It was my first choice but I have terrible colour vision, and I didn't really have much to choose from, but it sounds like a good go.

So I tried a search on this (I hear this place if famous for telling people to use the search feature) and I couldn't come up with anything on the course it's self. If anyone can tell me what the course is like that would be appreciated. Obviously I am not looking forward to living in shacks and marching around and getting inspected again and what not, but will we be confined to barracks on weekdays? Thats the kind of stuff I would like to know ahead of time.

Thanks.

Offline TN2IC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Const Tech
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2011, 20:58:40 »
The QL3 is taught in Halifax NS.....They go to the local NSCC.

And they don't march around. TN drives them to the school each day. Plus they get box lunches. And week ends off.

Tough life huh? ;D

Offline CalgaryCanuck

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2011, 21:09:10 »
Sounds pretty decent, can't complain about any of that.. but I think I am going to Gagetown for my course, it's an airforce trade.

Offline TN2IC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2011, 16:20:19 »
Yes the main school is in Gagetown. But they go down to Halifax for their training. And down there, you"ll be staying on an air force base.

aesop081

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2011, 16:56:02 »
but I think I am going to Gagetown for my course, it's an airforce trade.

FYI, Gagetown is primarily an army base.

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2011, 17:42:08 »
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
  • Insert deep thought.....
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2011, 13:47:10 »
All DP1 CE type trades (CE, RM, EGS, etc) CAN be taught at NSCC, however that is only done when CFSME is full of other courses. DP1 only, all others are taught at CFSME.

We have limited real estate and can only run so many courses at the same time (same as every other school really), however intake for these courses in the recent past (and for the foreseeable future) has been greater than CFSME capacity, hence the contract with NSCC for overflow.

Wook
Why are there swamps on top of hills?

Offline pfinlayson

• Rate Post
  • Joining the Engineers
    • Housewright Building & Restoration
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2011, 23:58:40 »
I am a Carpenter looking at joining the 192 engineering flight. 

How much training beyond a Journeyman's ticket does a construction tech require to complete their trades training?  Are there any guidelines one could expect for advancement (I am interested in getting some leadership training under my belt)?

aesop081

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2011, 00:03:09 »
  Are there any guidelines one could expect for advancement (I am interested in getting some leadership training under my belt)?

You need to gain experience in the military context and prove you have leadership potential and earn your way up. Advancement is merit based and competitive.

Offline pfinlayson

• Rate Post
  • Joining the Engineers
    • Housewright Building & Restoration
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2011, 10:23:18 »
I am not expecting any handouts.  I know that I am going to be starting out, military-wise, at square 1 (or 1b, I was in cadets throughout my teenage years, and completed some reserve training in another life).  And I expect, like in any other employment, that promotions will come on a combination of my ability and the employer's needs.

Are there any guidelines for advancement? 

aesop081

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2011, 11:49:54 »

Are there any guidelines for advancement?

There are minimum time requirement in each rank and required qualifications before a person can get promoted to the next rank. Having those prerequisites does not mean one gets promoted. If you served in the reserves before, you should already understand this.

Offline Grim

• Rate Post
Construction Technician
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2014, 10:09:30 »
hey this is my first post i am always on here reading, i have been looking for information on the trade of Construction Tech, i have an OT in now and have been in since 2007 so i know there is stuff about the trade that the recruitment website does not share i was just wondering if i could get any info on what to expect, is the QL3 course (trade course) easy or does it go into alot of detail.
are there any special tasking construction techs can go on or any special training, heavy vehicle for example.
Just wondering if anyone one can give some details on stuff not listed on the forces.ca website

thank you in advance.

:cdn:

Offline BernDawg

• Wood Butcher
  • Rate Post
  • Retired... workin' harder than ever!
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2014, 17:32:36 »
CT is a technical course. Make sure your math is good to go. When I say math I really mean brush up on what you did in high school. At the Engineer School you'll be learning the Construction trade (at least we did in 2000) so be prepared for that. Working with hand tools then power tools for the construction industry. You will be learning all facets of structural construction, from laying flooring to putting on a roof. Wood work and wood framing make up a large portion of the course as does concrete and concrete block work. There is a short field portion where you'll be employed and learning about setting up a camp for x number of personnel. For any past Cbt Arms pers it's a bit of a joke but keep your mouth shut about the stoopidness and help your course mates get through. Some of them have never been in the field before.. 
As for special courses those will be taught later on, especially if you get posted to a field unit after your 3's. Must of the guys I know that were posted to a field troop were employed as truck drivers most of the time.. Airforce postings go to work straight off as a tradesman as well as the Naval Construction Troops. Sometimes individuals get attached to the local CE section and get to do work orders with the base pers. It's all good just stay sharp and learn from everyone.
I was a retread to CT in 2000 after 15 years in the Patricia's and I do not regret it for one minute. When I retired from the CF I had a trade, Red Seal ticket and a certification from ASTTBC http://www.asttbc.org/  all of that lead to my current employment which I also really enjoy.
Best of luck!
Cheers
Bern
"We can't all be heroes... because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."  Will Rogers
Someone has to be last.  At least if it's me I know where all the assholes are.

Offline Grim

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2014, 08:14:27 »
Got my VOT to construction tech, i am so pumped, heard some rumors that there is a really long waiting list to get on QL3 and will spend at least a year on PAT platoon.
Anyone know anything about this or have some where i can look to find out when course are strating.
I was on the Gagetown website but could not find any course dates.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2014, 13:18:37 »
One slated for 18 Sep according to the CFSME schedule.
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]

Offline Grim

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2014, 09:11:33 »
could you give me  a link so i can view the CFSME schedule?

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Regimental Headquarter Staff
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2014, 19:21:11 »
could you give me  a link so i can view the CFSME schedule?

DWAN only link.....
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Jamie2319

• Rate Post
Construction technician
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2014, 18:15:26 »
I have a very strong interest in joining the canadian armed forces but I want to make sure I make the right choice as to what I sign up for so I have some questions about a construction technician.

As a construction technician what sort of feild exercises do they do?
 What do they do on a day to day basis?
Are they eligible to apply to specialized units such as sar tech?
 Once they are done all of their training as a construction technician are they still able to take parachute courses and survival courses?
How often do construction technicians get promoted?

Offline Jamie2319

• Rate Post
Re: Construction technician
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2014, 00:13:35 »
Is there a big difference between construction tech and combat tech? They seem sort of the same.