Author Topic: Construction Technician (merged)  (Read 35358 times)

Offline Jamie2319

• Rate Post
Re: Construction Technician (merged)
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2014, 11:35:36 »
So combat engineers pretty much do the same
Job as construction techs just combat engineers do other things as well?

Offline Capt. Happy

• Every day is Monday in the Engr Corps
  • Rate Post
Construction Technician (merged)
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2014, 13:17:43 »
No. Construction Techs are a cross between framing carpenters, painters, masons, drywallers and finish carpenters. Combat Engineers do a small amount of rough carpentry, but the rest of our trade is a complete 180 from what the 600 series guys do. If you use the search function here you'll see what Cbt Engr do and what is involved in OT to SAR Tech.

Offline Carpenter

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2015, 19:57:52 »
Hey there.

I head off to BMQ in 3 days.  I will be doing construction tech after that.

I was just wondering, can anyone give me a day to day in the life of?  Recruiter told me a bit, but he wasnt one himself, so couldn't speak to specifics.  I have been working in carpentry for 9.5 years.  6.5 years framing and 3 years renos.  I did production framing, so speed was key.  Wasn't uncommon for us to frame walls, stand, frame floor and sheet in a day.  In renos,   I did a lot of fixing framing, forming/placing concrete, drywall patching and doing boring ***** square face trim (its the style now..)

I assume it will be different on each base, just a general idea. 

What about deployment?  Postings?  I suppose that all depends on the needs of the forces.  What are your personal experiences?

Thanks.

Offline Bradboy

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2015, 09:12:37 »
Just signed my VOT offer to Construction Tech! I'm hoping for an attach posting to 2CER construction troop and to attend the QL3 course starting in September. Just wondering how many others are waiting to go on this course? I fully expect to be doing OJT for at least a year before I go on course, but it'd be nice to get qualified right away.

I don't have any formal training in this trade so it's going to be a steep learning curve! I'm eager to learn though and truly enjoy constructing something out of nothing.

Are there any CT's on here that can shed some light on what a CT "apprentice" can expect to be doing during OJT? What they experienced during OJT and how life in a construction troop or with Base CE is?

"Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise."   Tommy Douglas - Greatest Canadian

Offline Newfie709

• Rate Post
Construction technician.
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2016, 17:29:03 »
I am wondering if there are any construction techs out there that can fill me in on a little information. I have looked on the forces.ca website and watched the videos but still can't find the answer. After you complete the first 29 week course you there go and do your ojt somewhere. I am wondering what bases are optional to complete your ojt at. Can the ojt be done in gagetown right where you first do your 29 week course? If someone can help with this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton!

Offline caocao

• Rate Post
Re: Construction technician.
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2016, 17:55:53 »
Yes it is possible.  It just depends on how many pers are already there doing their OJT and if the folks at CE can accommodate another pers.

Offline Newfie709

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2016, 22:14:17 »
Perfect, thank you.

Offline Carpenteer

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2017, 12:37:23 »
I am a current Construction Technician, if anyone has any questions feel free to send me a personal message. I'm sure I can clear up a lot of the misconceptions about the construction trades in the forces.

I know this is a dormant thread, I'm posting here for people in the future that may find this with the search function.

Everywhere

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2017, 12:45:52 »
Dormant or not, this thread is the 5th ranked page when you search Google for "Construction Technician". Your offer to help prospective applicants to your trade is greatly appreciated.