Author Topic: Fighter Pilot  (Read 246827 times)

aesop081

Re: So, you want to be a Fighter Pilot?
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 12:46:44 »
and can you please explain the roles of navs in "alpha jets"?

Tuna : Read the title of this thread please.

Max : Good post.

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 16:01:34 »
Good post Max. I will sticky this.

Milnet.Ca Staff
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

Offline WingsofFury

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 16:25:22 »
Permission requested to link to this thread on a FB page dedicated to the CF-18?

Offline Tuna

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 20:18:43 »
Tuna : Read the title of this thread please.

Max : Good post.

sorry!!!
"The only thing on earth smarter than a warrant officer is a senior officer" -WO Dygalo, 9th company of Russian infantry

Offline LOLslamball

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2011, 22:05:30 »

At the squadron, you have a secondary duty.  This will take up most of your time when you are not flying.

You will be gone from home a lot.  In the last 7 months, I have been at home for 19 days.  On average, you can expect to participate in 3-4 3-4 week exercises per year, plus the odd small 1-2 week deployment.  Roughly 3-4 months away from home a year.

Awesome post, I have a couple questions.

Is your secondary duty a permanent duty or does it change? and what are some examples? (unless I read it incorrectly and being on the operations desk was a secondary duty)

Is the fact that you were away so much over the last 7 months due to one time training or has it just been an above average year for days away from home?
Are a lot of the shorter deployments in Canada or elsewhere?

Thank You

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2011, 21:09:24 »
Is your secondary duty a permanent duty or does it change? and what are some examples? (unless I read it incorrectly and being on the operations desk was a secondary duty)

It changes once in a while, normally every 6 months or so (when we have a bunch of new guys showing up on Squadron).  I have been lucky enough to be in the same position for the last 18 months and develop a very good understanding of my area of responsibility (I am the Mission Planning Officer).  Being on the Ops Desk is a tertiary duty, if that even exists.  It's on top of everything else.  Normally, newer guys will do that.

Other examples of secondary duties:

-Scheduler
-Deputy Ops O
-Training Files O
-Ground Training O
-NORAD O
-A/G O
-A/A O

Is the fact that you were away so much over the last 7 months due to one time training or has it just been an above average year for days away from home?
Are a lot of the shorter deployments in Canada or elsewhere?

It was a busy year, mostly to the fact that we were deployed overseas in a conflict.  I spent 2 of those months participating in that conflict.  The other months were spent on various exercises both in Canada and abroad, and courses here and there.  I have been to Europe 3 times in the last 6 months and in the US so many times I lost count.

Regardless, you can expect to be away 3-4 months a year in a regular year.

Offline BobSlob

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2011, 21:35:59 »
is it true that one can switch to a nav at any time during training? and can you please explain the roles of navs in "alpha jets"?

My apologies to Max on the thread hickjack, but as one of those "navs" (we prefer the term EWO, heh), I can help.

Our official role is to provide real-world threat simulation to CF assets, be it air, land or sea.

Most of our job is threat replication (be it various aircraft for the Air Force, or aircraft and missiles for the Navy) and electronic warfare (RADAR and communication jamming). There is a bit of work with the Army, but mostly in a CAS role.

Any other questions, feel free to shoot me a quick PM, I'll be happy to answer them.

Offline Bass ackwards

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2011, 22:57:33 »
Max, I'm curious about age in the fighter community these days.
I've read a dozen times about how, in WWII, you were considered an old man at 26 if you were a fighter pilot.
Obviously things are different now, but:

How long, on average, can someone effectively do the job ?

Also, what, just in your general observations, would you consider a realistic cut-off age for someone looking at flying fighters in the RCAF ?
Just for an example (and no, this isn't me  :o) a guy in his mid-thirties who drives Caravans or flying culverts for a living -should someone that old even bother trying, regardless of how good their eyesight/reflexes/etc still is ?

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2011, 11:58:18 »
Max, I'm curious about age in the fighter community these days.
I've read a dozen times about how, in WWII, you were considered an old man at 26 if you were a fighter pilot.
Obviously things are different now, but:

How long, on average, can someone effectively do the job ?

There is no limit. As long as you pass your medical, you can keep flying.  We have someone that is nearly 50 still flying the Hornet.

Also, what, just in your general observations, would you consider a realistic cut-off age for someone looking at flying fighters in the RCAF ?
Just for an example (and no, this isn't me  :o) a guy in his mid-thirties who drives Caravans or flying culverts for a living -should someone that old even bother trying, regardless of how good their eyesight/reflexes/etc still is ?

Again, there is no age limit.  Just amount of information your brain can process.  It's truly like drinking from a fire hose (the training that is) and as we all know, the older you get, the harder it becomes to learn something new.  But there is no age.  People went through Fighter Pilot training well into their 30s.

Offline Bass ackwards

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2011, 19:56:09 »
Interesting.
Thanks for the info.

Offline LOLslamball

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2012, 15:45:08 »
Hey SupersonicMax,
just thought of another question.  I have heard a lot about other members of the Air Force (whether it be AECs or future pilots on OJT) getting to go up in planes.  How common is this? and how difficult is it? (is it just a matter of saying, hey take me up one day, or is it more of a right place right time if you're lucky type of thing)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2012, 15:56:13 »
Hey SupersonicMax,
just thought of another question.  I have heard a lot about other members of the Air Force (whether it be AECs or future pilots on OJT) getting to go up in planes.  How common is this? and how difficult is it? (is it just a matter of saying, hey take me up one day, or is it more of a right place right time if you're lucky type of thing)

I'll let Max answer for the fighter force, but in my (admittedly little) experience, it isn't uncommon.  Basically, talk to the Squadron Operations people and ask to go up on a trip; there's usually a form (basically a passenger request) that you fill out and pick what flights you'd like to go on.  The 2 squadrons I've worked in are pretty easy-going with it, as long as it's a routine mission and they have the space.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

aesop081

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2012, 16:24:33 »
IIRC, you have to get a "seat check" for the Hornet. I think there is a day of the week where the Cold Lake seat shop does it. The its a matter of getting a Sqn to take you.

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2012, 18:48:00 »
If you're on OJT at the squadron and you have a Secret Clearance, flying is not a big deal.  OJTs don't normally ask to go on flights, but if they do good work, they'll normally be rewarded with flights. It's obviously on a "seat available" basis, and any qualified pilots that want to go in the backseat will have priority.  But for most people, unless there is a pressing reason (currencies being one), people will not take your flights away from you.

There are a few things to get before you can go flying.  You need a valid pilot medical or a monthly medical clearance.  Second, you need a valid seat check for the Hornet (as mentionned by Cdn Aviator), a clearance to fly from the Squadron CO (Wing Commander if you are flying on an AMT waiver) and Aeromedical Training (or the waiver).

That is all,

SSM

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2012, 18:53:16 »
or... you could go over to the helicopter unit and get in some flying while being able to get out from time to time to stretch your legs.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2012, 18:56:05 »
 :rofl:
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2012, 19:00:11 »
or... you could go over to the helicopter unit and get in some flying while being able to get out from time to time to stretch your legs.

Or, in the case of an Aurora, go and have a meal.   ;)
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline LOLslamball

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2012, 17:25:42 »
SupersonicMax,

I was wondering if there are any posting opportunities for pilots?

aesop081

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2012, 18:23:12 »

I was wondering if there are any posting opportunities for pilots?

Many.

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2012, 19:02:30 »
Cold Lake and Bagotville are the figther bases in Canada.  Ground jobs are normally in Ottawa or Winnipeg, with the possibility of going to the US or Germany.  You may have to do some time in training units, like 2 CFFTS in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.  There are a few flying exchange possible, namely in the US (California(Navy F-18), South Carolina(Marine Corps, F-18) and Alaska(USAF F-16)), and the Netherland (F-16).

Offline LOLslamball

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2012, 01:55:29 »
wow, that was a dumb post by me.  I meant to ask about postings outside of Canada.  Thanks for being nice.   :facepalm:

-How difficult is it to switch over to an F-16 from a CF-18?(or between any two fighters for that matter) In terms of flying.  Landing on an Aircraft Carrier after being used to a runway?

-How competitive is it to get a flying exchange and how long do they last?

-I read from the forces.ca website that "Fast Jet (...includes Instructional duties on the Harvard II aircraft)" how many fast jet candidates get instructional duties? Did you instruct, and if so was it a highlight of training for you or something that was a struggle to get through?

Thanks for your responses and if you ever get tired of answering questions feel free to let me know.

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2012, 09:08:39 »
-How difficult is it to switch over to an F-16 from a CF-18?(or between any two fighters for that matter) In terms of flying.  Landing on an Aircraft Carrier after being used to a runway?

No idea, I haven't been on exchange yet.  However, I can't imagine it being that hard.  The concepts are the same, the systems & tactics are a bit different.  But from what people seem to say, it's not that complex. 

Only the Navy exchange pilot will do his Carrier Qual.  Seems like a lot of fun.

-How competitive is it to get a flying exchange and how long do they last?

Quite competitive.  There is one position per exchange at any given time. Exchanges last 2-3 years.  A lot of it is timing.  But you need a strong file (both officership and flying) I forgot to mention there is also a UK exchange on the Tornado GR4. 

-I read from the forces.ca website that "Fast Jet (...includes Instructional duties on the Harvard II aircraft)" how many fast jet candidates get instructional duties? Did you instruct, and if so was it a highlight of training for you or something that was a struggle to get through?

After you get your wings on the Hawk, you are either streamed to Fighters or to Instructor.  This is what they mean.  I have not instructed and went straight to Hornets.  I am not sure of the ratios and it depends on the needs of the CF in the end.  Some guys will go back to Moose Jaw after a few years of flying the Hornet and instruct on the Harvard II or the Hawk.

Offline Mab163

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2012, 08:13:32 »
Wow great post SupersonicMax!

Just 1 more question. Once you have completed the CF18 course at 410 in Cold Lake, how the CF decide if you are posted to Cold Lake or Bagotville? If you are a french guy, do you have priority to go to Bagotville?

Offline Flyingismything

• Rate Post
Fighter pilot career path
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2012, 20:58:57 »
Hello everyone,

since i was a kid, i wanted to become a fighter pilot. I know, just like any other kids.... It's been 7+ years and counting i have had a passion for aviation. I have spent countless hours on simulation games. I am now coming up to the part of my life where i need to make a choice for my career. I hear people say all the time: i regret it so much, I didn't follow my dreams of becoming a fighter pilot. I don't want this to happen to me. I am in secondary 4 in highschool in Quebec and i have to make a college choice for next year. What is the best career path for someone looking forward to becoming an officer/pilot in the RCAF? Any tips? Anyways I am thinking about joining the cadets in the next days. I have taken in consideration the royal military college in Kingston. Thanks in advance for all of the helpfull answers!

:cdn: and proud to be!  :nod:

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: Fighter pilot career path
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2012, 21:12:03 »
since i was a kid, i wanted to become a fighter pilot. I know, just like any other kids....

No, not "just like any other kids".

I wanted to be a Tac Hel Pilot, because my parents were married, I wanted to be a net benefit to society, and I valued my reputation.

I hear people say all the time: i regret it so much, I didn't follow my dreams of becoming a fighter pilot.

Then I shall be a source of refreshment for you. I had no such dreams, and have no such regrets.

Thanks in advance for all of the helpfull answers!

Well, mine wasn't, but I don't regret that either.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 14:47:53 by Loachman »