Author Topic: Fighter Pilot  (Read 240600 times)

Offline 2010newbie

• Rate Post
Re: Fighter pilot career path
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2012, 23:22:54 »
Take a look at some of the other threads in the recruiting and Air Force forums before posting; there is a lot of info in there. This one is specific to fighter pilot:

http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,103289.0.html

Additionally, understand that you do not join "as a fighter pilot". You will join as a Pilot Candidate and be processed into one of three streams after your basic flight training is complete. In my personal opinion, I think the best path forward at your age is aiming towards being a successful ROTP candidate at whatever university, RMC or civy.

Offline AGD

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2012, 13:03:40 »
Okay, I count two actual questions in here, so I'll give 'em a try.

What is the best career path for someone looking forward to becoming an officer/pilot in the RCAF?

Do you mean what program of study? Might I suggest mechanical engineering? Gives you something to fall back on in case it doesn't work out for you.

Any tips?

See about a thousand other threads in these forums for examples.

It's been said that for every 800 people who walk through the doors of the CFRC wanting to become a pilot, one actually earns his wings.

That person then has a ~25% chance of being selected for the fast-jet stream, give or take, depending on the needs of the CF.

For ROTP, you'll be going up against applicants with 90% averages in high school, captains of sports teams, hundreds of volunteer hours, 6+ years of cadets, maybe some with experience in the reserves, and maybe some who already have their pilot's license. Hopefully, you've done a thing or to that will make you competitive.

You have a passion for aviation? Why not become a commercial pilot? Why limit yourself to fighters?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 13:07:07 by AGD »

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Your example, not your opinion, can cause change
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2012, 13:21:39 »
I wanted to be a Tac Hel Pilot, because my parents were married,
My parents were married...to each other... so I know that airplanes are for jumping out of.   :nod:

As for the actual question(s)...... I got nothin' 
There’s nothing more maddening than debating someone who doesn’t know history, doesn’t read books, and frames their myopia as virtue. The level of unapologetic conjecture I’ve encountered lately isn’t just frustrating, it’s retrogressive, unprecedented, and absolutely terrifying.
~Chris Evans

Offline Liberator

• Rate Post
Aspiring Fighter Pilot's Bachelors Degree and Experience
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2012, 22:05:44 »
Dear colleagues, fellow aspiring and working pilots,

I am currently on a life mission to become a fighter pilot for the CF. As many of you, I dreamed of one day becoming a pilot in the army when I was kid. I built model airplanes and read about different fighter jets starting at the age of 9. Subsequently, I started getting poor vision and being a kid I listened to my parents and teachers, who told me I'll never be a pilot with my eyesight problems. So eventually I stopped thinking about pursuing this as a career, until several months ago... My girlfriend learned about my childhood dream and got me an intro flight lesson as a gift and I took the lesson. It was probably the best day of my life. Anyway, I had just finished film school and I was happy with my career choice but not passionate. I've spent weeks now researching the about the Canadian Air Forces and the rigorous process some of you out there have gone through in order to fuel your flame for flying :salute: . I am actually going back to school in Sept. to finish my bachelors degree and to start applying to the CF as a pilot. I'll also be doing iLasik surgery to correct my vision. In case anyone had the same concern I had, corrected vision is ok, you just have to wait 6 months and 1 day after the day of the surgery in order to apply.

I was wondering if anyone had advice for me, I am at a crossroad with which degree to choose. Several years ago I started my Bachelors of Psychology, but I'm almost positive that wont fly with the selection committee, excuse the pun. I was looking at majoring in geography and minoring in film as a back up. Geography correlates a lot more than psychology to piloting, therefore it might look better in my application. Also, Ill learn valuable lessons on weather, maps, etc. Is there another degree that you pilots took that helped you not only in the application process but in your jobs as pilots?

Thanks
Don't chase a bird if you can't fly.

Offline Liberator

• Rate Post
Re: Aspiring Fighter Pilot's Bachelors Degree and Experience
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2012, 22:28:17 »
P.S. Does the army look at your highschool grades or just your university gpa when you apply?  I'm thinking of paying for my degree on my own and not taking the governments dollar to avoid the risk of being drafted as an officer and possibly not getting a position as a pilot.

Any volunteering position suggestions?

Lastly, will the recruiting committee like to see that I am also involved in film and entertainment as a hobby/business or as "extra-curricular"? Or should I solely show them airplane, martial arts related things?

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5240.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Re: Aspiring Fighter Pilot's Bachelors Degree and Experience
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2012, 22:49:43 »
Welcome.

Please do a search. There is a lot of information here for the aspiring pilot.

Much of it very recent.

Please read all that you can find here. I'm sure you'll get your answers.

Also, please read the Site Guidelines very soon.

Milnet.ca Staff
Diversity includes adverse opinions, or it is not diversity.
Inclusive includes adverse opinions, or is not inclusive.

Offline Liberator

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2012, 23:56:57 »
AGD or anyone else,

Besides Mechanical Engineering, could you suggest any other degrees to take, to enhance our applications. Would geography be a good course to study? Would an applicant even have a shot with a psychology degree?

And do they look at only your univ. gpa or at highschool grades as well?

Offline Chet

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2012, 00:26:03 »
Science/Physics, Engineering or Math Degrees (will leave options open to you for test pilot if interested).

You might be surprised to learn that there are pilots in the training system with Music degrees.  So that said, I don't see why a psych degree would be out of the question.

Have any university transcripts ready along with your highschool transcript - they will likely want to see everything.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 00:29:40 by Corey »

Offline RDJP

is off somewhere, looking for his cane.

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2012, 00:41:01 »
Science/Physics, Engineering or Math Degrees (will leave options open to you for test pilot if interested).

You might be surprised to learn that there are pilots in the training system with Music degrees.  So that said, I don't see why a psych degree would be out of the question.

Some might be surprised at how smart some people with the most "useless" degrees are...

Offline Liberator

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2012, 00:46:21 »
Thanks for the quick reply guys, I am in the process of changing my major for the upcoming semester.

I am considering a "useless" degree in order to get a higher gpa. I am just worried about my high school transcript, because I wasn't motivated back then and I had no aspirations. Do you guys think my outrageous grades from highschool will effect the committee's decision, even if my univ. grades are high?

thanks

Offline Chet

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2012, 00:52:28 »
Some might be surprised at how smart some people with the most "useless" degrees are...

I didn't say that there weren't, and I didn't use the word "useless" anywhere in that post.

Cheers

Offline RDJP

is off somewhere, looking for his cane.

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2012, 00:55:06 »
I didn't say that there weren't, and I didn't use the word "useless" anywhere in that post.

Cheers

Didn't say that you did, just a comment.   ;)

Offline Chet

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2012, 01:07:46 »
Fair enough - I just didn't want it to sound as though I was making a jab at those programs in particular. I was only using it as a comparison of the merits of a psych degree for relative importance in an application for pilot. 

Thanks for the quick reply guys, I am in the process of changing my major for the upcoming semester.

I am considering a "useless" degree in order to get a higher gpa. I am just worried about my high school transcript, because I wasn't motivated back then and I had no aspirations. Do you guys think my outrageous grades from highschool will effect the committee's decision, even if my univ. grades are high?

thanks

I would suggest choosing a program which you enjoy.  Nothing worse than spending 4 years stuck learning a tedious or dull subject, particularly if it's mind numbingly easy.

If you enjoy Psych, talk to a recruiter to see if that program is acceptable.  (while on the subject, are you applying ROTP or DEO?)

Offline Liberator

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2012, 01:09:06 »
Lol their not useless degrees, but I have some friends who have psych degrees and even economics degrees and arent finding jobs. Bachelor degrees on their own are quite "useless" unless a persons got a solid plan of what he/she can do with it.

Offline Liberator

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2012, 01:13:25 »
I've actually got 2.5 years left to complete my bachelors and I am most likely applying as DEO. I only want to be a pilot, i wont be happy in any other trade. Therefore, Im dishing out myself for my degree, to minimize the risk of being drafted in a different trade in case I wont make.

cheers

Offline Chet

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2012, 01:23:47 »
I can admit to you that my chosen field of study is quite useless aswell  :-\ (in terms of employment. It is however perfectly useful with respect to my own interests).  It's all about the post grad when it comes to jobs.

I've actually got 2.5 years left to complete my bachelors and I am most likely applying as DEO. I only want to be a pilot, i wont be happy in any other trade. Therefore, Im dishing out myself for my degree, to minimize the risk of being drafted in a different trade in case I wont make.

cheers

Here is something to consider - Suppose you applied ROTP and were accepted for pilot.  If for some reason things didn't go according to plan, and you had to take up another trade, then at the very least, you still have full time employment with great pay and benefits (compared to most university graduates).

While you are "paying back" the remainder of your subsidized time, you can be using that money towards a civilian commerical pilots license.  Then, when your obligatory service is up (which would only be ~3 years), you can choose to stay in, or leave and work on becoming a pilot in the civilian market.

Otherwise, you'd be out on the street with only an undergratuate degree and trying to find work to fund your passion for flying.

Edit: ...In addition to the debt taken on from your University program.

Just some food for thought.

Offline Liberator

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2012, 02:00:08 »
Thanks Corey thats actually a great idea, something to really think about. I must have had the wrong information, because I thought as an officer you have to serve much longer ~7 years. Even doing the - serving 2 months for 1 month of school formula didnt add up to me serving only 3 years =S

You're absolutely right though about having good pay and benefits right out of school. I just finished Film school and I'm finishing my bachelors degree at the moment with a minor in film, so if I fall back on anything it'll probably that.

Great tip though, I'm going to deeply consider that option.

Offline Chet

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2012, 02:15:16 »
The 7 Years for pilot starts once wings qualified.

If you have 2.5 years of school left, that's really just 20 months of actual semester time (8+8+4). so 40 months = 3.3 years of obligatory service.

If you spent the entire 4 year degree in ROTP, it would be 5 years of obligatory service.

Corey

Offline Liberator

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2012, 02:22:21 »
I was counting summer courses, therefore, you would roll up the number of months by 2 summers, 8 more months, a year and half of service more. Nevertheless, its a bright idea go the direction that you described. I'll definitely consider it.

Thanks

aesop081

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2012, 04:45:10 »
to minimize the risk of being drafted in a different trade in case I wont make.

We don't draft people into anything.

From one of your other posts:

I'm thinking of paying for my degree on my own and not taking the governments dollar to avoid the risk of being drafted as an officer and possibly not getting a position as a pilot. 

Again, we do not draft anyone into anything.

BTW, pilots are officers.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:55:39 by CDN Aviator »

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2012, 11:02:12 »
Lol their not useless degrees, but I have some friends who have psych degrees and even economics degrees and arent finding jobs. Bachelor degrees on their own are quite "useless" unless a persons got a solid plan of what he/she can do with it.

Hmm I have a "useless BA" and had no problems getting and maintaining a well paying and rewarding job with it. Mind I also located the spell check feature on my computer prior to sending my resume.  8)

NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2012, 12:00:11 »

Hmm I have a "useless BA" and had no problems getting and maintaining a well paying and rewarding job with it. Mind I also located the spell check feature on my computer prior to sending my resume.  8)

"Spell check" isn't going to catch the grammatical errors in that lad's posting, even my "useless" 11 Ontario high school credits could see that. ^-^
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline AGD

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2012, 12:14:07 »
Besides Mechanical Engineering, could you suggest any other degrees to take, to enhance our applications. Would geography be a good course to study? Would an applicant even have a shot with a psychology degree?

No, I just say mechanical engineering because it's a good fallback option, and if you're interested in flying, chances are good you're interested in science/engineering subject matter as well.

The CFRC will tell you for sure which degrees are acceptable for pilot and to my knowledge, there are very few that aren't.

Very true. Some of them land great jobs too.

I find that it's the individual who is useless, not the degree. Just my  :2c:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 18:12:05 by AGD »

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2012, 14:26:26 »
"Spell check" isn't going to catch the grammatical errors in that lad's posting, even my "useless" 11 Ontario high school credits could see that. ^-^

True but a good grasp of the English language and rules of grammar as taught in Gr 11 back when we did it and a bit of common sense would have.  8)
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2012, 14:40:21 »
When did you get the second job, bud?  ;D
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter