Author Topic: Cadets in Maroon Berets??  (Read 85465 times)

Ltmel

Re: cadet corp for the airborne Regiment?
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2005, 13:52:07 »
Okay, here goes...Apparently they wear this instead of the RCACC badge.

Offline Zedic

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2005, 23:51:08 »
And is that permitted?
There is a corps in Mississauga that does that, however they wear their corps badge on their right arm and the RCAC badge on the left arm ..... although I'm not sure if it is permitted.

Offline 3rcr_macfarlane

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2005, 12:11:43 »
Our cadet corps was affiliated with the airborne regiment, but after it was disbanded, we switched to the para coy in 3RCR.
A True RCR Would Never Pass A Fault

Offline 3RCR_Jones

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2005, 13:47:10 »
Yuppers  ;D 
Train to Fight, Fight to Win
Never Pass a Fault

Offline just me...

• Rate Post
  • Soldier First
CADET MAROON BERET!!!???
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2007, 17:23:05 »
Ok mods, I apologize if this is in the wrong place and please feel free to move it to the most appropriate forum. 

So, im bored outta my head and just looking at different things on facebook when I see this link

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=272539&op=1&o=all&view=all&subj=4569929542&aid=-1&id=510541626

Please tell me im going colour blind and im not seeing a cadet wearing a maroon beret?  I dont even think she has jump wings!  I worked hard and shead blood for my maroon back in the 80's and it will always be held by me and many of my peers in the highest degree, but im absolutely shocked by this pic.

Please someone tell me that im halucinating and I need to up my dosage of meds....

Offline Towards_the_gap

• 'Just tell your wife, that she owes your life, to a muddy old engineer'
  • Rate Post
Re: CADET MAROON BERET!!!???
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2007, 17:27:05 »
Are you D***** O*** from Hamilton perchance? lol

Cadets have been wearing maroon lids for a long time, seeing as her network is General Panet HS I'd hazard a guess she's from the Pet cadet corps, which has been wearing maroon since at least 1992, when I first saw one.

Doesn't make it right of course, but hey, there you go. the affiliated unit must have approved it otherwise they've been improperly dressed for the past 15 years.

Offline Scotty884

• Rate Post
  • VehTech
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2007, 17:44:22 »
used to be part of that cadet corps, the affiliated unit (3 RCR) has a para coy (Novmeber coy??) and being the only corps in Canada to be disbanned along with the Airborne (the old unit affiliation).  Therefore keeping the maroon beret is odd, but there is a corps in Edmonton to I believe that where it too.
"Gunners will always fight together, drink together, laugh together, and morn together." - Unknown

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2007, 17:46:10 »
They've been around for years.

One of the cadets I did my Althletic Leadership course with in CFB Boredom way back in '85 ... wore a maroon beret.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline Infantry_

• Rate Post
  • Infantry
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2007, 17:49:28 »
used to be part of that cadet corps, the affiliated unit (3 RCR) has a para coy (Novmeber coy??) and being the only corps in Canada to be disbanned along with the Airborne (the old unit affiliation).  Therefore keeping the maroon beret is odd, but there is a corps in Edmonton to I believe that where it too.

it's Mike company
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer.
- Major Holdridge

Only the dead have seen the end of war
   -Plato

Offline Greymatters

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2007, 17:51:13 »
I'll admit the kid on the right has a pretty sharply shaped beret on his pumpkin...

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2007, 17:52:37 »
Ohhh lookie,

More cadets & maroon beret stuff here:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=26130.15

;)
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: Cadets in Maroon Berets??
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2007, 17:56:58 »
And merged.

Vern
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline just me...

• Rate Post
  • Soldier First
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2007, 18:05:05 »
wow, i guess thats all I can say.  I havent really kept myself up to date with the cadet world, and I think i'll leave it at that.  If I dont, I think i'd give myself an aneurism.

Offline rwgill

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2007, 20:34:08 »
wow, i guess thats all I can say.  I havent really kept myself up to date with the cadet world, and I think i'll leave it at that.  If I dont, I think i'd give myself an aneurism.

::)

Cadets, for as long as I can tell, have been wearing the official headdress of the cadet's corps' affiliated unit.  Green beret, black beret, red beret, maroon beret.  Air Force blue beret.  Haven't seen a fawn beret on a cadet yet, but I somehow doubt that will permittedly happen.

The rules say that it can be the headdress of the affiliated unit, if approved by the CO of the affiliated unit.  It does not state what kind of unit the affiliated unit must be (Pl, Coy, BN, Regiment, etc.).  If the Cadet Unit is affiliated to 3RCR, then it is the CO of 3RCR who decides...........not the cadets.  I have heard of cases wear certain amounts of accommodation have occurred, on both sides of the pendulum.

Cadets also wear forage caps and field service caps (army wedge).  They also wear caubeens, glens and tams.  They also wear toques when its cold ;)

As for the infamous "Yellowknife" badge, I have never seen it before.  There are and have been other cadet units which have replaced the RCAC roundel for a locally designed badge.  The Elgins and Mississauga Cops are 2 that I know of.

Offline a78jumper

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2007, 21:03:29 »
Actually the Edmonton Corp was associated with the Canadian Airborne Centre during the early 90s

I believe CFPMD also had an affiliated corps. Not sure which AB unit it was but Meyerthorpe, AB cadets in the early 90's were affiliated with them or CABC. Riggermade how is your memory?

Offline Imbeault

• Yum Kippers!
  • Rate Post
  • Yum Kippers!
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2007, 21:46:37 »
#2716 Mayerthorpe AB, changed affiliation late 90's/early 00's to the Strats.
Does defending liberalism leave you friendless and perhaps wondering about your breath? - Phil Ochs

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2007, 22:01:06 »

Friggin 'orrible!  The statements aren't even accurate; once you decipher what this person is trying to say.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2007, 22:10:34 »
This may be of interest to some of the posters on this thread:  http://www.armycadethistory.com/shoulder_titles.htm

Note the date of the Airborne Cadet Corp shoulder title is 1979.  I would suspect that they had been wearing the maroon beret at least that long.

Here they are in 1983:  http://www.armycadethistory.com/Cadet%20Corps%20DB/CC2642/db_cc_2642_1983.htm
(Wearing Maroon)

Offline Greymatters

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2007, 00:48:01 »
Friggin 'orrible!  The statements aren't even accurate; once you decipher what this person is trying to say. 

Maybe too much wine, but thats hilarious... :rofl:

Offline Corps of Guides

• Rate Post
  • the path of honour lies up the hill....
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2007, 01:09:49 »
http://www.armycadethistory.com/Cadet%20Corps%20DB/CC2551/db_cc_2551_1980.htm

Check the "clipped" wings on these folks.  Interesting!

Offline rwgill

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2007, 05:10:41 »

Clipped wings were around for quite some time, and occassionally they seem to pop their ugly heads out again.

In many cases, they stood for X number of jumps from the mock tower.  The wings were as much symbolism as they were merit.  They symbolized that the cadet unit was participating in affiliated unit training.  In any case, these clipped wings were never truly authorized.

There is another varient of wing out there as well.  It was authorized.

There seems to be some confusion as to why exactly they were issued.  They were issued for sport parachuting and they were also issued for a Cadet Para Rescue Course, which was short lived.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2007, 06:02:21 »

Actually,

Check your link and scroll down to the 1969 pics. Note the two cadets standing in front of the aircraft.

Cadet CWO Mann ... and Cadet Sergeant Buxton.

Something tells me that Cadet Sgt Buxton (who placed second that year in the province on his Master Cadet Examinations) may be Pat Buxton (went on to serve with 3 PPCLI??) the son of RSM Dick Buxton who has that DZ in Namao named in his memory.

DZ Buxton

Another pic

Yep, interesting indeed. Wow, how small the world is.  :)

Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline just me...

• Rate Post
  • Soldier First
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2007, 11:21:41 »
I thought DX Buxton was in Edmonton?  When I was on my basic para at CABC in Edmonton, I was sure the dz we dropped on was DZ Buxton.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2007, 11:34:05 »
I thought DX Buxton was in Edmonton?  When I was on my basic para at CABC in Edmonton, I was sure the dz we dropped on was DZ Buxton.

You are correct; I am not.  ;D
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline riggermade

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2007, 11:37:35 »
Lancaster Park used to be referred to as Namao as well
Our job their safety...Our aim perfection
"I will be sure always"