Author Topic: Cadets in Maroon Berets??  (Read 86740 times)

Offline Roy Harding

He\'s Back.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Cadets in Maroon Berets??
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2007, 11:41:26 »
http://www.abheritage.ca/aviation/history/military_namao.html

Let's get back on track, folks (Cadets - Maroon Berets)

Roy
I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand.

Linus van Pelt

Offline just me...

• Rate Post
  • Soldier First
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2007, 12:11:20 »
hmmm....see, I learned something new today too!.....guess we were both right ArmyVern.

And the question's been answered I guess, so to speak.  I had never seen cadets wearing maroon berets and found out that it does happen.  End story.

Offline Signalman150

• "All this, and pay too, boys!"
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2007, 15:43:40 »
Okay, I feel a little funny replying to this one.

There are a few replies on this thread regarding the shoulder patch worn by the Yellowknife Army Cdt Corps.  Let's begin with a couple of corrections; the corps number in 2837.  At the time the shoulder patch was designed, (1988) the Corps' affiliation was the CFPMD (Parachute Maint Depot) which was still in Edmonton.  There was no affiliation in any way, shape or form to either the PPCLI or the Airborne Regiment.  In those days, things such as unit badges were tolerated "Up North", and were even--to a certain degree--encouraged.

Now, on to the symbolism of the badge in the pictures. 

The knife--for it is indeed a knife--is patterned after similar knives used by the Dene hunters in the area.  And, wouldn't you just know it, the darn thing's YELLOW.  Hmmm, It's a knife and it's....yellow. Yellow knife....yellowknife.....hey: YELLOWKNIFE! As poetic and symbolic as it may seem, it is not the sword of Damocles, just a Native hunter's knife, rendered to evoke the name of the city.

The red flames behind the knife are, in actual fact, a red sunburst, meant to indicate the NWT, or the LAND OF THE MIDNIGHT SUN, (with apologies to Robert Service).

The wings were intended to represent the Corps' affiliation with the CFPMD. The CFPMD soldiers did indeed wear the maroon beret, and were (and presumably still are) considered a part of the airborne community with the CF.  For that reason, the cadet corp wore the headress of its affiliated unit.

The badge was carefully designed to make sure there could be no mistaking it for the badge of the SSF, (or--spare me--the SAS), hence the colours, the knife (vice a sword), and a scroll with the words 2837--CADET.

So, no; the cadets were not a bunch of SSF/SAS/Special Forces wannabes. They wanted a military style crest for their Corps that would portray their city, their territory and their affiliated unit.  I hope they took pride in it, and recognized the significance of each of the devices on the crest.  Why would I care? And why would I know what the impetus was behind it's design?

Simple; I designed it, back in 1988 while I was a civ instructor with the unit.

Morality is our agreement with ourselves to abide by our own rules

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2007, 17:53:20 »
Signalman150, thank you for that explanation.  Sometimes people fail to realize that their own interpretation of a symbol is not always applicable, and their umbrage may be misplaced.  Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and maroon is just the colour of a hat.

Thank you.

Offline Corps of Guides

• Rate Post
  • the path of honour lies up the hill....
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2007, 17:16:49 »
http://www.armycadethistory.com/Banff%20photos/Banff_1970_Officer_staff.htm

Just found this on the Army Cadet History site.  Check out the CSoC Officer, Captain, middle left, wearing a "half wing".  I didn't know this same para-wing was worn by CSoC officers as well.

Offline D. Nicholson

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2007, 03:33:45 »
Back to a topic from page 1 - 2551, via the League at least, is still affiliated to the Airborne.

Offline C/MCpl. Burwell

• Drill Instructor.
  • Banned
  • Rate Post
  • Rifles, 1, 2, 3, Up The Johns!
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2008, 00:55:49 »
hey i was just wondering if there was ever a cadet corp for the Canadian airborne regiment. and did it get disbanded with the regiment its self (which i think was a stupid move on the liberals part. but than again what isn't)? :cdn:

I have seen PPCLI cadets wearing maroon berets so I am guessing there is an affiliation there with edmonton CAC
C/MCpl. C. Burwell
155 Royal Regina Rifles
---------------------------
When you COMMISSION something, you're putting it into service.
When you WARRANT something, you're guaranteeing it will work.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The ugliest is a person who thinks nothing is worth fighting and dying for and lets others, better and braver, protect him" -Gen Hiller

Offline Breacher41

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Per Pietas et Virtus
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2008, 01:02:18 »
I have seen PPCLI cadets wearing maroon berets so I am guessing there is an affiliation there with edmonton CAC

Holy necropost batman!
هناك [هس تو] كنت يستعصي طريق

aesop081

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2008, 01:12:05 »

Offline C/MCpl. Burwell

• Drill Instructor.
  • Banned
  • Rate Post
  • Rifles, 1, 2, 3, Up The Johns!
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2008, 10:11:38 »
The Edmonton what ?
Sorry, that should read CAR in Edmonton.
C/MCpl. C. Burwell
155 Royal Regina Rifles
When you COMMISSION something, you're putting it into service.
When you WARRANT something, you're guaranteeing it will work.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The ugliest is a person who thinks nothing is worth fighting and dying for and lets others, better and braver, protect him" -Gen Hiller

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2008, 11:33:03 »
I think you're a little old for cadets if you remember the Airborne Regiment being in Edmonton.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline 2551

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2008, 01:06:53 »
Hi all:
I realize that this is an old topic, but thought I could "shed some light" on it for those who might still be interested.

Firstly, the 2551 PPCLI Cadet Corp changed affiliations to the CAR in 1968, when the regiment was formed.  There was an official ceremony on the parade square with Col. Rochester at which we removed our green berets and replaced them with maroon ones.  At the time, the CAR did not have a cap badge, so we had to wear the generic RCACC cap badge.

With regard to the "clipped wings":  this was started by our corps, shortly after we got the opportunity to use the mock tower.  Our CO (Howard (Howie) Cook) was able to persuade the Regt'l Commander to allow us to wear the clipped wings after five successful exits from the mock tower.  Given this approval, the local Area Cadet Officer (Captain Ed Morris ) was in no position to argue, and left us alone.  As a matter of fact, I have a photo of Col. Rochester presenting me with my clipped wings. 

The clipped wings carried on through several years, only ending with the start of the Cadet Para Course.  During those years, several cadet corps from other parts of Alberta came to CFB Edmonton and they also were able to use the mock tower.  The corps in Mayerthorpe Alberta (then commanded by Captain Tom McKnight - a protestant minister, btw) was a regular participant, and they too began to wear the clipped wings.  As time went on, several cadet corps in Alberta became affilitated with the Airborne Center, and they too were wearing the maroon berets.

I noticed a post about a photo from Vernon showing a captain wearing the clipped wings - that is Tom McKnight.  As far as I know, he is probably the only Cadet Instructor to wear the clipped wings.

I saw another post about my coming second in the Master Cadet Exams in Alberta in 1969.  I looked at my certificate and found that it was issued April 1970 - so I think that was the year we took the test.  I was bested by Ray Romses from Lethbridge - who went on to a very successful military career, including command of the Special Service Force.  He got a trip to Barbados for his efforts - I got a trip to Vernon (it would have been some other island in the Caribbean, but as I was turining 19 that June I was not eligible).   

« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 10:03:32 by 2551 »

Offline 2551

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2008, 10:20:09 »

Actually,

Check your link and scroll down to the 1969 pics. Note the two cadets standing in front of the aircraft.

Cadet CWO Mann ... and Cadet Sergeant Buxton.

Something tells me that Cadet Sgt Buxton (who placed second that year in the province on his Master Cadet Examinations) may be Pat Buxton (went on to serve with 3 PPCLI??) the son of RSM Dick Buxton who has that DZ in Namao named in his memory.

DZ Buxton

Hi there:
I couldn't get to the picture you mention - it may have been replaced with another at that site?  I would like to see it, if you happen to know what might have become of it.

At any rate, I am the eldest son of RSM Buxton, both of us named Richard, sometimes nicknamed "Dick".  Unfortunately, I have no idea who that Pat Buxton is.

Another pic

Yep, interesting indeed. Wow, how small the world is.  :)

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2008, 11:23:12 »
I couldn't get to the picture you mention - it may have been replaced with another at that site?  I would like to see it, if you happen to know what might have become of it.

At any rate, I am the eldest son of RSM Buxton, both of us named Richard, sometimes nicknamed "Dick".  Unfortunately, I have no idea who that Pat Buxton is.

This may be the picture Vern originally mentioned. 
(I will refrain from making comment about your appearance.  Luckily, there are no photos of me at a similiar age on the web to haunt me)
http://www.armycadethistory.com/Cadet%20Corps%20DB/CC2551/db_cc_2551_1969.htm

This you in any of these? (a little google goes a long way)

http://www.armycadethistory.com/1972_g_coy_3_platoon.htm
http://www.armycadethistory.com/Vernon_western_command_trophy.htm
http://www.armycadethistory.com/Basic%20Para/basic_para_course_1974_edmonton.htm

http://www.armycadethistory.com/Cadet%20Corps%20DB/db_cc_2551.htm

You're also mentioned in this forum.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 11:34:44 by Blackadder1916 »
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline 2551

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2008, 11:40:27 »
Many thanks!

That is me beside Wyndham Webb (the poster had said Mann), both of us by a Chinook. 

And yes, I am in the other photos as well.

Offline Forsyth, A.

• Rate Post
Re: cadet corp for the airborne Regiment?
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2010, 22:54:41 »
Okay, here goes...Apparently they wear this instead of the RCACC badge.

We wear that on our right shoulder and the normal RCAC badge on the left.

Offline crooks.a

• Rate Post
    • Alex Crooks Webdesign
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2010, 18:20:01 »
We wear that on our right shoulder and the normal RCAC badge on the left.
I just did a quick look through the dress regs. I couldn't find anything authorizing that. If it is auth'd, then maybe you could correct me with a reference?

Also, on the topic of maroon berets, I know of some PPCLI cadet corps' that wear them.
Alex G. Crooks
C/WO
SSM, 903 BCD RCACC

Offline 57Chevy

widower.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2010, 19:16:56 »
way to give a quick answer......crooks ;D

A joy to read anything airborne though.

blackadder,
                 I noticed someone in one of your pictures from 2 Cdo 77.......
                 ......now I know where he came from. ;D   well done  :nod:

Offline crooks.a

• Rate Post
    • Alex Crooks Webdesign
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2010, 19:20:16 »
I like to think of myself as fashionably late.  ;D
Alex G. Crooks
C/WO
SSM, 903 BCD RCACC

Offline Forsyth, A.

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2010, 00:40:40 »
I just did a quick look through the dress regs. I couldn't find anything authorizing that. If it is auth'd, then maybe you could correct me with a reference?

Also, on the topic of maroon berets, I know of some PPCLI cadet corps' that wear them.

Sorry about the delay, I'm not in a position to give you any paper work but I know of three corps that use custom badges,
Yellowknife, NT - 2837 PPCLI
Hay River, NT - 3004 RCACC (No affiliated Unit)
er and third one is some other northern corp.
I've only seen corps down south wear different shoulder flashes but never a difference in the RCACC bafege. Maybe it's a JTF(N) thing?

Offline crooks.a

• Rate Post
    • Alex Crooks Webdesign
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2010, 10:27:50 »
No. They should wear either:

1. A regimental shoulder flash (ex. British Columbia Dragoons);
2. A corps shoulder flash (ex. 903 Royal Canadian Army Cadet Corps); or
3. The default shoulder flash (Royal Canadian Army Cadets).

That flash should be on both shoulders. You aren't able to mix and match, or use only one shoulder.

Below the shoulder flash should be the circular "RCAC" badge. The measurements will be found in the Dress Regs.
Alex G. Crooks
C/WO
SSM, 903 BCD RCACC

Offline Forsyth, A.

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2011, 23:21:03 »
   Take it up with RCSU (N) because the majority of Army Cadet Corps in the north have them :P I can put up pics of the other corps flashes if you want. Btw our corp has had high ranking officers ie. col, maj from the CIC (yes im sure your corp has too) they've never brought up an issue with us having our own flashes.

If you have a CATO specifically stating that we can't do so post it here and I'll forward it to my CO.

Offline Yukonner

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2011, 13:20:35 »
The Sgt Tommy Prince MM cadet corps in Winnipeg has been granted permission to wear the maroon beret in honour of Tommy Prince who was a member of the 2Btn PPCLI and also the 1SSF during WW2 and Korea

MikeL

« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2011, 13:49:41 »
The Sgt Tommy Prince MM cadet corps in Winnipeg has been granted permission to wear the maroon beret in honour of Tommy Prince who was a member of the 2Btn PPCLI and also the 1SSF during WW2 and Korea

It's 2PPCLI, not 2Btn PPCLI

Also, the FSSF was disbanded during WW2, so how could that unit have been in Korea? He served with 2PPCLI in Korea.

FYI Sgt Prince also served with the Engineers and 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion before becoming a member of the FSSF.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 13:58:09 by -Skeletor- »

Offline Yukonner

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2011, 14:46:40 »
my wording was a little mixed up...you're right