Author Topic: Dog Tags  (Read 271119 times)

maple_leaf_forever

Dog Tags
« on: November 08, 2001, 18:30:00 »
Hey, I have a few questions concerning Dog Tags...

1.) Do CF members even get Dog Tags ?
2.) If so do all 3 branches recieve them ?
3.) And are they like the traditional Dog Tags like the US Military uses (the 2 piece Tags) or does the CF use a different type of Dog Tag.

Thanks in advance.

:cdn:

spacemarine

Re: Dog Tags
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2001, 20:54:00 »
Yes
Yes
No, they are one piece with a groove down teh center to break it in half. The info is written on the top and the bottom again. You leave the top part on the dead person.

Offline Michael Dorosh

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Verloren ist nur, wer sich selbst aufgibt!
    • CANUCK
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2001, 23:20:00 »
The current style of dogtag was introduced in the late 1940s, and was used in the Korean War and up to present day.  The material has changed and the protocols for information have changed slightly over time, but for the most part they have not changed in 50 years.
"So, how's your sister?" -Brigadeführer Hermann Fegelein

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com
 http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com

Offline Soldier of Fortune

• Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2001, 17:03:00 »
Do reserves wear dog tags?
:bullet:    Soldier of Fortune    :bullet:

Offline Spanky

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Old Soldier
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2001, 17:55:00 »
YUP  WE DO
Nos superstes inflatus fossor
(We survive pompus fools)

bc_railfan

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2002, 03:17:00 »
do they still print the members‘ religion on the tag?

snooprobbiedog

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2002, 09:04:00 »
Yup, the tags include your religion in an abbreviated form, e.g. ACC for Anglican Church of Canada.

Only one of the tags gives your blood type and RH factor, which I guess makes sense, it‘s pretty much useless info if you‘re dead...   :blotto:  

Rob

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7245.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2002, 10:47:00 »
If you don‘t want a religion listed on the ID Disk, don‘t fill in the space on the app form. They‘ll enter NRE (no religion entered) on the disk.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Marauder

• Rate Post
  • Dirty Infidel
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2002, 14:27:00 »
Well, technically, us Militia types do rate dog tags and mil ID cards. But after 4+ months in the regiment, I don‘t have them, nor do any of the guys who were on QL2/3 with me. Then again, it may just be that our BOR is filled with usless pouges. Who always seem to have nice shiny new field kit us line animals don‘t have issued. Go figure.
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of lambs."

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7245.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2002, 14:43:00 »
Marauder,
Get on your CSM, thru your Pltn WO. We got all our new guys in the WR done as soon as they came back and for the most part they‘re completed for ID cards and Disks.

spacemarine

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2002, 20:19:00 »
Yeh mine say NRE as well. Is the religion section so they can give you your last rites?

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7245.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2002, 09:12:00 »
spacemarine,
Yea, that possibility exist I suppose. Padres in the military are able to cover a large spectrum of religions, no matter their own. It‘s done by keeping things non denominational and an aggreement with the religious hierarchy in Canada. Therefore a Rabbi could minister to an RC if he were the only one avail and ya still get to heaven! Besides, they say everyone finds god on their deathbed, and I don‘t think most people are fussy about who‘s he is!

As for the rest, fill in the form and submit it. If nothing happens, (give it time to work, even regs don‘t get theirs by that afternoon!), put in a memo to the Adjt. Make sure you create a paper trail and push it up the chain. These things are part of your standard issue stuff. Most times nothing happens because someone has left the request in a basket and it gets shifted around the office till it‘s lost. We like to ask for ours in a large run. We‘ll wait till Sept-Oct, canvass the Regt, submit all requests at once and voila!, everyone gets ID Disks. Try that.

Airghardt

dog tags
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2002, 12:38:00 »
What information, line by line, goes on the dog tags? An example would be great too.
thanks  :fifty:

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Re: dog tags
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2002, 17:09:00 »
Service Number
Inits   Last Name
Religion   Blood Type
Cdn Forces Cdn
---------------------
Service Number
Inits   Last Name
Religion
Cdn Forces Cdn

Back:
Do Not Remove
Ne Pas Enlever

Offline Freddy G

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2002, 18:02:00 »
I assume the one they leave on the body is the one with the blood type, correct?
My posts are my opinion alone and do not reflect any other person or group's opinion... because you can't handle the truth, and deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me to say these things.

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2002, 19:45:00 »
The top part with the chain should stay with whatever body part is the largest it can attach to...The bottom goes to the supply guys for processing (why I don‘t know)
"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2002, 21:30:00 »
The bottom half of the dog tags goes to supply because Graves Registration is a G4 (Logistics) responsibility. If the body was handled correctly with a battlefield burial, then that lower half of the dogtag will be accompanied by the details of the burial for later recovery to a military cemetery or repatriation. Having the logistics branch handle this ensures that the medical corps resources are concentrated on the living.

Mike O‘Leary

Airghardt

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2002, 21:03:00 »
thanks,
one more thing are the dog tags stamped or are they engraved, i‘ve seen a bunch engraved, is this correct?  :fifty:

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2002, 22:34:00 »
Mine are stamped, but the lettering is fine enough that it could be mistaken for engraving.

Mike O‘Leary

Offline Spr.Earl

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2003, 05:47:00 »
The old tag‘s were aluminium (go figure).
The one‘s we have now are of steel so they can survive fire etc.
THE PRECEDING POST AND OTHERS MADE BY MYSELF ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS, NOT FOR REPRODUCTION, NOT FOR CUT AND PASTE OF ANY PORTION THEREOF, NO QUOTES ARE PERMITTED ELSEWHERE,ANYWHERE OTHER THAN EXCLUSIVELY IN THIS WEB FORUM.

UBIQUE
Be Safe

Offline Hoof (Banned)

• Banned
  • Rate Post
  • Recruit
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2003, 23:02:00 »
Uh oh... What if... You dont relly have a religion. I mean my mom says in christian.  But ive never really went to church all that much.  I mean ive read a vee from the bible once in a while, The lord is my sheperd.... Think they‘ll even let me in.. I saw on the news this one kid got kicked out of his scouts or somthin because he idnt have a religion =)
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Martin Luther King Jr., Strength to Love, 1963

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7245.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2003, 00:21:00 »
If you state no religion on the form, your Identity Disks will come back with NRE stamped on them in place of faith. NRE = No Religion Entered. No biggy, you don‘t have to have a certified religion to be in the Forces. Even the atheistic soldier mutters, Oh God, not again, at budget time.  :D

Harry

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2003, 21:00:00 »
The atheistic soldier is also known to mutter Oh/Dear God (I won‘t do this again) when making long distance calls on the porcelain bathroom phone as well... but I digress.

NRE has become very common over the past ten years, signs of the times I guess.

Offline bossi

• "vae soli, vae victus"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • The puck stops here ('War On Ice'!) Fight Smarter!
    • My pix (on MSN)
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2003, 07:19:00 »
Once upon a time, a padre suggested there were no atheists on foxholes ...

When I attended funerals of Second World War veterans from my Regiment, I quickly discovered the old guys could recite Psalms from memory ... not because they were particularly religious, but because they‘d had to do it so many times during the War ...

So, even though I‘m not that religious, I remember my padre‘s words.

And, amusingly enough, we were reminded of the field expedience of carrying a pocket bible (you know - the infamous one that "stops the bullet") ... just in case there was ever the requirement to hold a charge parade in the field (chuckle).

And, one last word - if you‘re dead, and you weren‘t terribly religious, then you probably won‘t worry or care too much about your funeral.  However, if your family or parents were more religious than you, they might appreciate giving you an "appropriate" farewell (in this case, appropriate refers to them, not so much as you).  For the sake of being gracious/altruistic, it doesn‘t hurt to put down your family‘s religion - it gives you manoeuver room later on ...

Here endeth the sermon (chuckle - no disrespect to my brothers who wear the collar - I just thought they‘d enjoy a chuckle hearing me, of all people, extoll the virtues of faith ... wink)
Junior officers and NCOs who neglect to guide the thinking of their men are shirking a command responsibility.
-Feb 1955 Cbt Forces Journal
Those who appreciate true valour should in their daily intercourse set gentleness first and aim to win the love and esteem of others. If you affect valour and act with violence, the world will in the end detest you and look upon you as wild beasts. Of this you should take heed.
-Emperor Meiji: Rescript to Soldiers and Sailors, 4 January 1883

Harry

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2003, 17:52:00 »
Bossi,

Was thinking along similar lines.  Many a Navy veteran can recite psalm and verse and tell of moments they shared with the Lord after finding that maybe, just maybe something more than dumb luck saved their Salty behinds.

You hit it on the head.  A wizened old Padre in Cornwallis told us a very similar story.

"We are men, we can drink, we can cuss.  We are expected to commit acts of sin in defence of our beliefs and we can blasphemy God.  But it is our families who stand before him and consecrate their loss".

Didn’t miss a Sunday for 4 years after hearing that, then I followed another path.  Still sticks to this day.