Author Topic: Dog Tags  (Read 265104 times)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Re: Allergic to Dog Tags
« Reply #450 on: April 20, 2010, 08:02:59 »
Just a quick note on the Air Force side, assuming you are AF by your name and location  ;D.

If you are aircrew in the future, you must wear them next to skin under your dual layers IAW 1 CAD Flying Orders (can't remember which one off the top of my head) and in the interest of not having para-cord or plastic tubing melt into your skin in the event of fire, you might want to ask your Flight Surgeon or med staff about an alternative solution.  The folks at CFSSAT will tell you that on AMT as well.  They even show you a neat video of an Apache pilot that got brewed up after a fuel spill, and you'll likely not want to have paracord around your neck after you see the results.

But until you are flying/if you are flying, the paracord idea is a great one, I've used it for years now.  The paracord also might help your hair (depending on how long it is) from getting wrapped up around the chain and stuff too.
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline AirBratt

• Rate Post
« Reply #451 on: April 20, 2010, 21:22:42 »
Thanks for the advice :D

Although I am airforce I am not flight crew, so dont need to worry about that aspect.

(My mother always said I was a expensive child... And now my husband agrees lol)

Offline SGT-RMSCLK

• Rate Post
  • Retired
« Reply #452 on: April 20, 2010, 22:19:13 »
Just my opinion, but unless you have been ordered to wear them, don't.  I haven't seen mine since I graduated from Cornwallis in 84.   No, that's a lie.  I got a new set when we switch to Service Numbers vice SIN.  Either way they're in a box with the other set somewhere.   :)

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #453 on: April 20, 2010, 22:28:31 »
Ignoring all the sarcastic replies from people who've obviously never experienced a metals allergy, I too am allergic to my id discs. Specificly, the nickel content in the chain (The id disc itself seems to be nickel free, aluminium if I remember right). Produces a rather nasty eczema rash.

To those making the sarcastic replies, nickel allergies are very real, and not hazardous in any way, just extremely irritating... typically results from direct skin contact with nickel containing metals, for an extended period (If I wear a watch containing nickel, it will produce rash within 20 minutes...). I purchased a titanium watch a while back, which happened to be all titanium with the exception of a few tiny exposed screws... even these produced a nasty rash by the end of the day... all titanium watch now... works great.

To be quite honest, I've solved the problem by just not bothering to wear them. They're around the house somewhere. I had a length of paracord around them with the chain run through the core for the longest time, with the ends of the paracord melted shut, but the ends opened up resulting in a nasty rash on the back of my neck, the ends were then too short to melt back together, and I couldn't be bothered going through the trouble of finding more paracord (hard to get these days). I have no operational need to wear them right now, so I couldn't be bothered.

That being said, if anyone is interested, I looked into the cost of nickel free bead chain... identical in size and appearance to the issued ones, just nickel free.... it's cheap, maybe $1-2 per length, unfortunately, only available in quantities of 100 chains.  Since it's come up, and there's clearly other people beside myself with nickel allergies, if anyone is interested, I'll order the full quantity, and send it out at cost plus the price of a stamp. (With regards to whoever said it was "special metals" they're full of it. It's just regular out steel bead chain, same as what holds on to your bath plug.)

(Side note: http://www.nonickel.com/ is a good source for nickel free belt buckles, etc, I've ordered a few things from them, no more rash on my stomach, hooray!)

Offline AirBratt

• Rate Post
« Reply #454 on: April 21, 2010, 11:57:17 »
Thanks !

GLad to know I am not the only person that has this allergy  :D

I'm hoping I can just throw them in a drawer after basic.. lol.
I wasn't sure about that. I know in my dad's time, he had to have his on at all times. But i'm sure things have changed in 16 years lol.

Offline dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #455 on: April 21, 2010, 12:03:14 »

I'm hoping I can just throw them in a drawer after basic.. lol.
I wasn't sure about that. I know in my dad's time, he had to have his on at all times. But i'm sure things have changed in 16 years lol.

It all depends on your unit and your chain of command.  I have had some that don't care and others that on coy parade would order everyone to pull out their dog tags.  So my advise is don't throw them in a drawer keep them in your wallet or someplace handy as you never know when you need them.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.
- Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #456 on: April 21, 2010, 12:34:04 »
Sheesh, whatever happened to keeping them in the back pouch of your respirator carrier with your DT-60 attached?
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5920.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #457 on: April 21, 2010, 14:48:26 »
Sheesh, whatever happened to keeping them in the back pouch of your respirator carrier with your DT-60 attached?

I still have a set like that! ;D
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #458 on: April 21, 2010, 15:26:31 »
I still have a set like that! ;D

Me too. A couple of years ago, our CO asked to see our dog tags just before we departed on a BFT work-up ... I was the only one who had mine ... pulling them out of my gas mask carrier to present to him; "WTF is that black thing?" he asks. LOL.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #459 on: April 21, 2010, 15:46:12 »
Me too. A couple of years ago, our CO asked to see our dog tags just before we departed on a BFT work-up ... I was the only one who had mine ... pulling them out of my gas mask carrier to present to him; "WTF is that black thing?" he asks. LOL.

Shouldn't this be in the "you're past your prime  when....." thread?

8)
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #460 on: April 21, 2010, 15:54:44 »
Shouldn't this be in the "you're past your prime  when....." thread?

8)

Well no because he was so worried about "what the black thing was" that he never noticed that my discs also had my SIN number on them ...  ;D

I am NOT old - even though I was old enough to have possibly been a babysitter who changed his diaper a few short years ago.  ;D
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline Petamocto

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Thank god the Taliban doesn't use attack dogs.
« Reply #461 on: April 22, 2010, 18:17:52 »
... also had my SIN number ...

Social insurance number number?  ;)
"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway." - Roosevelt

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #462 on: April 22, 2010, 19:28:04 »
Forget your fibre tabs today  ;)?

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline SpesWales

• hmmmm.....
  • Rate Post
Dog tag (or ID tags), more then one?
« Reply #463 on: January 05, 2011, 15:30:48 »
when i join as reservist, i would like to know that are we allowed more then one canadian dog tags?
im asking because i saw Supply Sergent selling canadian styled dog tags, i would like to get a pair if i some how lost it or broke the other half and replace it with the bought one or can i get a new one issued? and will i get the option to get it stamped on the new one?
thanks

aesop081

Re: Dog tag (or ID tags), more then one?
« Reply #464 on: January 05, 2011, 15:35:45 »
You will get issued one with the required information on it. If you should lose it, it can be replaced through the CF.

You dont need to be buying one anywhere and you dont need an information stamped on it that isnt on the CF issued one. The information the CF puts on there is all thats required. Any more than that is a security problem.

MikeL

« Reply #465 on: January 05, 2011, 16:06:36 »
Like Aviator said, you will get issued a pair.  If you go on a tour you will get a second pair issued.  No need to buy your own as the CF supplies them and the replacements. 

And no, the CF will not be upset if you buy your own from a company like Supply Sgt or CP Gear. However, if you get your own done, unless they read like the CF ones(ie same info, in the same place, etc) do not wear them on course, work, etc.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #466 on: January 06, 2011, 00:00:27 »
On a slightly different note, fight the urge that most newbies have to wear their identity "discs" as if they were jewelry.  It's not nearly as cool as you think it is.   :nod:

Mine stay in a drawer unless I'm deployed.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Sigs Pig

• Rate Post
  • Don't wake the bear...
« Reply #467 on: January 06, 2011, 00:28:20 »
Mine stay in a drawer unless I'm deployed.

Double standard
At my Unit (Reserves), we had a Sgt / RSM that would do the odd spot check to see if the mbrs had their ID discs and ID card... if you didn't produce them, submit a memo on "why you should not be charged".

Then you look around the corner in garrison and see Sr NCMs and officers with shoddy boots, wrinkled uniforms, threads everywhere or not wearing their beret outdoors.... go figure.

ME
We work to eat to get the strength to work to eat to get the strength to work.
- John Dos Passos, 1896 - 1970

Offline Kalatzi

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #468 on: January 06, 2011, 00:43:07 »
Double standard
At my Unit (Reserves), we had a Sgt / RSM that would do the odd spot check to see if the mbrs had their ID discs and ID card... if you didn't produce them, submit a memo on "why you should not be charged".

Then you look around the corner in garrison and see Sr NCMs and officers with shoddy boots, wrinkled uniforms, threads everywhere or not wearing their beret outdoors.... go figure.

ME

Wrinkled uniforms???

Please please please tell me your referring to DEU

Yes I'm serious

I thought we got rid of this s**t with the move from bush to combats - Frak!!!!
Best Wishes to Francois Hollande, France’s president nicknamed “Meccano-builder” for his ability to bridge the endless personal and ideological disputes, a process he once likened to

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #469 on: January 06, 2011, 01:29:08 »
Double standard

Last time I checked, not having your i-card on your person was a chargeable offence but not having your dogtags ???
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline anjp

• Rate Post
CFAO 26-4: ID disc religion
« Reply #470 on: February 13, 2011, 01:30:42 »
Anyone have a softcopy of CFAO 26-4 handy?  I'm trying to gather a list of the abbreviations of all the religions that appear on Cdn ID discs.

It seems that the official CFAOs aren't available online (http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/cfa-oaf/index-eng.asp).   I've searched the forums for CFAO 26-4 but all I can find is an old list (below).  I think there must be a newer version somewhere since I know many individuals with religion abbreviation not included in the list below. 

...Or is this now contained in the DAODs somewhere?

Thanks!

3.     The religious denomination of the member will be abbreviated as follows:

Anglican ........................... ACC
Atheist, Agnostic, or no religion .. NRE
Baptist ............................ BAPT
Christian Science .................. CS
Greek Catholic ..................... GC
Greek Orthodox ..................... GO
Jewish ............................. JEW
Latter-Day Saints .................. LDS
Lutheran ........................... LUTH
Muslim ............................. MUS
New Apostolic Church ............... NAC
Other Protestant Denomination ...... OPD
Pentecostal ........................ PENT
Presbyterian ....................... PRES
Roman Catholic ..................... RC
Salvation Army ..................... SA
Unitarian Universalist ............. UNI
United Church ...................... UCC
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 01:39:00 by anjp »

Offline Simian Turner

is a veteran who enjoys oddities!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Do the right thing; do the thing right!
Re: CFAO 26-4: ID disc religion
« Reply #471 on: February 13, 2011, 01:57:55 »
This is an excellent resource - Religions in Canada - http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/pub/rc/index-eng.asp

As is this one:  Chaplains Manual - http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/cfcb-bsafc/pub/doc/acm-maft-eng.pdf
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 02:12:02 by Simian Turner »
The grand essentials of happiness: something to do, something to love, something to hope for.  Allan K. Chalmers

Offline anjp

• Rate Post
« Reply #472 on: February 13, 2011, 02:06:03 »
@Simian - Yes, thanks.  I saw that list as well while browsing... it's much longer than the one I have earlier in this thread but it doesn't include the abbreviations and I do not believe it is a comprehensive list (for ID disc purposes).   For instance, my denomination on my tags doesn't appear on that list...

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #473 on: February 13, 2011, 08:13:52 »
I found two sites, but they have the same list as you have.

http://www.cadethqcanada.com/history.php

http://www.ppo-canada.ca/military/tags.htm#8
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #474 on: February 13, 2011, 08:23:43 »
anjp - You have to remember that the abbreviations have to be easy to understand, which means they have to represent the most common religions that the CF has dealt with up to this point.  For example, if someone were Shinto and had something like SHIN on their tags, how many people would know what that meant?
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...