Author Topic: Dog Tags  (Read 263430 times)

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Dog Tags
« Reply #375 on: June 07, 2007, 21:09:03 »
Hey.... it's your instructions - the CF will do what you want them to.
parents will be given chance to have their say BUT, your personal wishes are priority one.

same story with donating vital organs - your parents might not like the idea of your parts going hither and yon
Chimo!

Offline Not_So_Arty_Newbie

• Rate Post
« Reply #376 on: June 19, 2007, 17:37:23 »
as far as notification foes the PEN fors do ask what religioun your primary and secondary contacts are so when, god forbit, it becomes neccessary they may bring the appropriate padre with them.

Offline CdnArtyWife

• Rate Post
« Reply #377 on: June 19, 2007, 19:03:29 »
Hubby was thinking about getting his tags changed for religion purposes...but though neither of us are practising anything and more Buddhist influenced in philosophy, my Dad is an Anglican priest, so I know it would be a comfort to him to have a padre available...and if he had a preference, it would be IN HOC SIGNO anyway.

Besides, hubby can't be bothered to get himself a new chain (since his broke into three peices) what makes me think he'd have energy enough to order all new tags? ::)

Good to know though...maybe I'll request new tags for him when I go into the OR tomorrow. (I don't like the idea of him using para cord to keep his tags around his neck)
"For do not forget the soldiers that make up this military are solidly built characters hand hewn from everyday Canadian values: grace, integrity, physical and moral courage, and loyalty." ~ Maj Scott Lang

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• Drawing the crabs from Downunder :) WTF is TWL?
  • Banned
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #378 on: June 19, 2007, 19:11:11 »
so on the weekend i had a buddy come over before we went out and he saw my dog tags on my dresser and decides to snap them apart. I was pissed because it took me close to 4 months to get them.
 but the point of this is does anyone know how much its costs to replace them so i know how much he owes me? and also would i just go to the Clerks at the armoury and ask to order new ones or would i go to the kit shop?

i would normally ask someone on a parade night but are armoury has shut down for the summer

The next set you get, bend them length ways just a bit, this re-inforces them, and makes it harder to break them. In those days they were the alloy ones, but the stainless ones should have been a ******* to break.

Cheers,

Wes
"You've never lived until you've almost died; as for our freedom, for those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know." - Anonymous

Offline BernDawg

• Wood Butcher
  • Rate Post
  • Retired... workin' harder than ever!
« Reply #379 on: June 19, 2007, 19:20:57 »
Actually Wes I just rec'd a new set of stainless ones and they are cut most of the way through and almost came apart in my hands as I was putting them on for the first time.  I put them in my FMP and dug out my old stainless ones to wear on my PLQ.  Beside they have my medic alert on them any way.
"We can't all be heroes... because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."  Will Rogers
Someone has to be last.  At least if it's me I know where all the assholes are.

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• Drawing the crabs from Downunder :) WTF is TWL?
  • Banned
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #380 on: June 19, 2007, 19:42:45 »
Point noted, ha!

The Aussie tags are exactly the same shapes as the WWII Cdn type, but instead of fibre, phosphated brass.

In Iraq we had to wear them, plus I had another single tag tucked in my right boot.

I would have thought the CF stainless type would be more robust. Somewhere in my collection of army crap, I do have an old set of early stainless and a few sets of the alloy types. The design is good, practical, and yes 'stolen' from the Germans, who used the basic one piece in an oval shape for both world wars.

Cheers,

Wes
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 19:57:04 by Wesley Down Under »
"You've never lived until you've almost died; as for our freedom, for those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know." - Anonymous

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #381 on: June 19, 2007, 22:04:31 »
Dunno about all others but, I still have two sets of alloy disks with my SIN on them and two sets of stainless.
Have as yet, never had a problem of them breaking.... then again, I haven't tested it out to see how car I can go before it will break.
Chimo!

Offline BernDawg

• Wood Butcher
  • Rate Post
  • Retired... workin' harder than ever!
« Reply #382 on: June 20, 2007, 19:08:55 »
Maybe I got part of a bad run but they really have a problem.  Even the commissionaire that handed them to me in the Ident office noticed how weak they were in the middle
"We can't all be heroes... because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."  Will Rogers
Someone has to be last.  At least if it's me I know where all the assholes are.

Offline mydogtag

• Rate Post
photo of caf identification disc (dogtag)
« Reply #383 on: January 07, 2009, 22:01:46 »
Hello,

As a civilian, I am curious to see what an actual military issued CAF identification disc (dogtag) looks like. I would appreciate it if someone could please post a close-up photograph or scan of their tags.

Please do not link to images of NON-military produced knock-off replicas.

Thanks

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #384 on: January 17, 2009, 21:07:24 »
Should anybody choose to do so, blank out your personal information first. Failure to do so can set you up for a lot of grief.

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #385 on: January 17, 2009, 21:47:38 »
Hello,

As a civilian, I am curious to see what an actual military issued CAF identification disc (dogtag) looks like. I would appreciate it if someone could please post a close-up photograph or scan of their tags.

Please do not link to images of NON-military produced knock-off replicas.

Thanks

Already been but.....

http://www.dogtagscanada.com/

dileas

tess
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline LaFrog

• Rate Post
Dog Tag Chain
« Reply #386 on: March 02, 2009, 12:14:29 »
I keep breaking the chain on my dog tag's. Is there a better chain out there. Our where do you get a replacement for them. I'm a CIC Officers so do not have access to a base.

Offline TimBit

• Rate Post
Re: Dog Tag Chain
« Reply #387 on: March 02, 2009, 13:30:18 »
I keep breaking the chain on my dog tag's. Is there a better chain out there. Our where do you get a replacement for them. I'm a CIC Officers so do not have access to a base.

Just don't wear them all the time... I can't see them being mandatory in CIC, no?

Offline Cleared Hot

• Rate Post
« Reply #388 on: March 02, 2009, 13:59:09 »
What in God's name are you doing that keeps breaking your dog tag chain?  That having been asked, if you are that clumsy that you keep getting it caught it's probably best that you keep the "weaker" chain (for obvious reasons) which is uaually available in bulk at any hardware store like Home Depot or Cdn Tire.
Close Air Support - When Army strong isn't quite strong enough.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #389 on: March 02, 2009, 14:10:18 »
...if you are that clumsy that you keep getting it caught it's probably best that you keep the "weaker" chain (for obvious reasons)
Shhh....let Darwinism play out as it should  ;)

Offline Snakedoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #390 on: March 02, 2009, 14:33:04 »
Anybody know the current CF policy on the wearing of I.D. tags?  Are they mandatory for all members to wear (including navy) or optional?  Did a search but couldn't find anything specific.

Thanks,
Snakedoc

Offline LaFrog

• Rate Post
« Reply #391 on: March 02, 2009, 14:43:57 »
Just wear them, have the same chain that I was issued a few years back. Have a few of the keepers to fix them up. The ones in bulk chain keeps rusting on me. Ok where can a person get a new chain. Is it available through supply or the MP?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 15:00:30 by LaFrog »

Online Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #392 on: March 02, 2009, 15:10:19 »
I don't know what the policy is but I only wear my dogtags when I am doing something dangerous that involves me not being able to be identified through other means (licence, licence plates, ID card, etc...)

In Afghanistan I had them on all the time but really, the chances of you getting killed in AFG without anyone around that are able to ID you, are slim to none.  I could understand during past large scale conflicts the chance of not being known by the people that find you, but these days I can't see it happening that often.
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline my72jeep

• It is the duty of all canadians to be prepared to defend thier country
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #393 on: March 02, 2009, 17:33:37 »
They are in the supply system issue is a box (50) if I remember most supplys had a few on hand for walk-ins. I put in a 2302 years ago for some and a box arived.

MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53

Offline LaFrog

• Rate Post
« Reply #394 on: March 02, 2009, 18:16:05 »
Thank you for the reply, do you happen to know the NSN for them. I can try and order a box an see what happens.

Offline my72jeep

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #395 on: March 02, 2009, 19:24:43 »
Next time Im at the unit I will dig it out and IM it to you.
MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53

Offline davidsonr_91

• Rate Post
« Reply #396 on: March 03, 2009, 03:57:20 »
Do members of the PRes get dogtags?

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #397 on: March 03, 2009, 06:31:27 »
Shhh....let Darwinism play out as it should  ;)

Good lord, after reading this thread my IQ is 20 points lower!!

OK, for the ones who keep breaking their chain - get hold of some 50/50 cord, pull the white ropes out and keep the "skin". Feed the chain into the "skin" and voila - reinforced (and comfortable) chain. I've seen it done with rubber med tubing as well. Rusty? The chain is stainless steel my friend - hang it on a hook when not in use, not in the flush box of your toilet...

Yes, PRes get ID disks (Americans call them "Dog Tags", Canadian call them ID Disks...)

S/C is 21-520-5611 (U of I is EA and there are 50 to a box)
Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline my72jeep

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #398 on: March 03, 2009, 07:14:53 »
Do members of the PRes get dogtags?
Why wouldn't PRes get ID Disks?????? Are they not worth Identifying?
MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #399 on: March 03, 2009, 07:33:18 »
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Milnet.ca Staff
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.