Author Topic: Dog Tags  (Read 264401 times)

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• Drawing the crabs from Downunder :) WTF is TWL?
  • Banned
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: Dog Tags
« Reply #425 on: November 05, 2009, 22:56:28 »
Hey RHFC,

Here each Q Store has an addressograph for dog tags, you walk in with the right proforma filled out, wait a few minutes, and presto, sign for them, and your tags are done and you got them in your hand.

None of this 'national' long term/short term waiting in the dark BS where they are done in some other part of the country, and you end up waiting for years.

Cheers,

Wes
"You've never lived until you've almost died; as for our freedom, for those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know." - Anonymous

Offline --NES--

• Rate Post
Re: Dog Tags
« Reply #426 on: November 05, 2009, 23:30:52 »
Hey RHFC,

Here each Q Store has an addressograph for dog tags, you walk in with the right proforma filled out, wait a few minutes, and presto, sign for them, and your tags are done and you got them in your hand.

None of this 'national' long term/short term waiting in the dark BS where they are done in some other part of the country, and you end up waiting for years.

Cheers,

Wes

Well... that's the straw that broke the camels back... set another place at the table, I'm heading down under.  ;D
Please delete this account

Offline AirBratt

• Rate Post
Allergic to Dog Tags
« Reply #427 on: April 17, 2010, 10:35:06 »
I know this may seem like a really stupid question but...

I am allergic to all metal except for 18k gold, Platinum, or Titanium and I know dog tags are made out of steel, so my question is am I going to broken out in hives for the rest of my career or do they have extenuating circumstances for people like me?
And before anyone suggests it I have tried the clear nailpolish trick and it doesn't work.
I don't know if I can get a set of platinum tags made and get them so engrave all the info.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance  :)

P.S. If this question has already been answered I am sorry... Tried searching for it but didn't find anything close.

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Allergic to Dog Tags
« Reply #428 on: April 17, 2010, 10:39:54 »
You can cover the chain, either with para cord or plastic IV tubing.  I have also seen little plastic pouches (like the ones for coins) used to cover the dog tags.  Often, they are not even worn around the neck but placed in the inside pocket of the combat shirt.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #429 on: April 17, 2010, 10:53:46 »
I know this may seem like a really stupid question but...

I am allergic to all metal except for 18k gold, Platinum, or Titanium and I know dog tags are made out of steel, so my question is am I going to broken out in hives for the rest of my career or do they have extenuating circumstances for people like me?
And before anyone suggests it I have tried the clear nailpolish trick and it doesn't work.
I don't know if I can get a set of platinum tags made and get them so engrave all the info.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance  :)

P.S. If this question has already been answered I am sorry... Tried searching for it but didn't find anything close.

I'm in a similar boat. I have eczema and *most* metals for me are okay but for some reason the dog tags aren't... I'm at school now so I don't wear them anyway, but after a week in the field I have a pretty distinct rash and it gets out of hand.

I asked the medical staff here (there is no MO here so the doctor and I just ended up asking the Med Techs), only one person had an answer. The WO said no, I was not allowed anything and I couldn't buy my own and get the same stuff stamped on them, because apparently "these dog tags are specially designed not to melt in case of fires/explosions and such." ::)

After some brainstorming we thought about running them through a laminating machine and hence covering them with plastic... I have no idea if this works yet. If not I'll be looking into it further.

I would suggest titanium before platinum if you do go the route of buying your own... much cheaper.... stronger... and has a melting point of 1649 degrees Celsius( just in case they need to identify your dust). I'm not sure how ridiculous / possible it might be to break off the end though.

Does the chain itself bother you too then?

EDIT: PMedMoe, I thought it was a great pet peeve of you medical folk when they are not where they are supposed to be?
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #430 on: April 17, 2010, 10:55:11 »
You can cover the chain, either with para cord or plastic IV tubing.  I have also seen little plastic pouches (like the ones for coins) used to cover the dog tags.  Often, they are not even worn around the neck but placed in the inside pocket of the combat shirt.

Surgical tubing works well.  Been using it for years.  Keeps my neck from turning black.   Don't wear the ID Discs next to skin; wear them outside of the T-shirt (under the Cbt shirt of course).
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #431 on: April 17, 2010, 10:56:50 »
I`m interested into how one would hold a weapon, a KFS, a gerber, an arch or purlin for modular to help sent up tentage etc etc ...

Wear gloves 24 and 7 for the duration of their career ... we have a whole bunch of metal exposure no matter the job or rank ... door handles etc.

Perhaps you could request a total office makeover!! Post the pics of your uberoffice!! Imagine - all platinum. I`d be good with that!!  ;D
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #432 on: April 17, 2010, 11:19:22 »
EDIT: PMedMoe, I thought it was a great pet peeve of you medical folk when they are not where they are supposed to be?

Well, not to me, it doesn't really matter in my job.  But yes to some.  Probably peeves crusty old RSMs even more.   ;)
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #433 on: April 17, 2010, 11:47:51 »

As long as they are somewhere that's standardized, who cares.  For the OP, most of us at one point or other have had to slide the chains through some paracord or plastic tubing...as for the actual tag, ballz was onto something - don't laminate per se, just use map talc and punch out holes for the chain.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #434 on: April 17, 2010, 12:01:05 »
As long as they are somewhere that's standardized, who cares.  For the OP, most of us at one point or other have had to slide the chains through some paracord or plastic tubing...as for the actual tag, ballz was onto something - don't laminate per se, just use map talc and punch out holes for the chain.

MM

LOL. And, if they DO care where they are located, rather than just caring that they are in a `standardized position` - they deserve to be mentioned in the `you know you are a dinosaur`or a member of The RCR thread.  :D

I used the paracord and placed gun tape on the back of the tags; it worked for me.

Edited because I am a twit and forgot about our much valued dress and drill gawds - The RCR.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 12:19:39 by ArmyVern »
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #435 on: April 17, 2010, 12:05:55 »
True - hey, I was with 2 RCR for a couple of years, it's taken awhile to clear out my colon.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

Offline Petamocto

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Thank god the Taliban doesn't use attack dogs.
« Reply #436 on: April 17, 2010, 12:10:19 »
Vern,

Get out of my head.  As soon as I saw the post my first thought was "screw the dog tags, how are you going to survive with everything else in the CF that's metal?".
"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway." - Roosevelt

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #437 on: April 17, 2010, 12:14:36 »
In a bubble like John Travolta...

MM
MM

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #438 on: April 17, 2010, 12:18:37 »
True - hey, I was with 2 RCR for a couple of years, it's taken awhile to clear out my colon.

MM

Thus, I have now ammended my original post.  >:D

edited: damn typos.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 12:23:14 by ArmyVern »
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #439 on: April 17, 2010, 12:22:09 »
In a bubble like John Travolta...

MM

Well, as long as that bubble is fully employable and deployable - I`ve got no issues with it other than the fact that stocking replacement bubbles would decrease the amount of space I have available for little things like guns, ammo, food, water etc.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #440 on: April 17, 2010, 12:25:17 »
Be hard to engage targets outside the bubble while maintaining integrity of it as well...unless it has something similar to torpedo tubes on a submarine.

MM
MM

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #441 on: April 17, 2010, 12:27:31 »
Be hard to engage targets outside the bubble while maintaining integrity of it as well...unless it has something similar to torpedo tubes on a submarine.

MM

And, of course, it`s not like we could construct the bubble out of anything other than gold or platinum to increase it`s structural integrity and ability to fend off incoming rounds and/or shrapnel.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #442 on: April 17, 2010, 12:33:07 »
Forget if we accidentally dropped said bubble soldier from a height or they fell off the back deck of their LAV - some sort of deceleration device or shock absorber would be necessary as well. 

MM
MM

Offline Petamocto

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Thank god the Taliban doesn't use attack dogs.
« Reply #443 on: April 17, 2010, 13:09:54 »
And, of course, it`s not like we could construct the bubble out of anything other than gold or platinum ...

This is the only other solution I can see:

Get busy, DLR!
"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway." - Roosevelt

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #444 on: April 17, 2010, 14:30:50 »
Wow, an entire army allegic to their dog tags...man the RMO is behind the 8 ball there.

MM
MM

Offline Shamrock

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #445 on: April 17, 2010, 17:10:34 »
Well, since the medics have chimed in, I have a question.

Wouldn't that member also require an "incoming, nonmetallic bullets, spalling, and shrapnel" chit?

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #446 on: April 18, 2010, 12:57:00 »
It would have to specify "non-precious metal incoming only".

MM
MM

Offline Towards_the_gap

• 'Just tell your wife, that she owes your life, to a muddy old engineer'
  • Rate Post
« Reply #447 on: April 18, 2010, 13:38:01 »

MM

No, the only way to correctly protect the skin is the liberal use of asphalt undercoating spray on a 6 square inch part of your chest, and 1 inch up and around the neck.

The added bonus would be the protection of your chest from stone chips.

The downside would be looking very odd indeed at the beach.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #448 on: April 18, 2010, 13:42:03 »
.....but think of all the money you'd save not having to wax.   ;D
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline AirBratt

• Rate Post
« Reply #449 on: April 20, 2010, 01:06:19 »
Thanks to all for your input and suggestions. It is appreciated. 
I know it may seem like a joke to some of you but to some of us it can be painful. I am ok touching metals but having extended exposure to them on my skin, especially when sweating, can cause great discomfort.

Thanks again for the advice