Author Topic: Fallen Comrades (retired members)  (Read 478498 times)

Offline ueo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
Re: Fallen Comrades (retired members)
« Reply #450 on: April 27, 2018, 11:16:07 »
Lt (N) (Ret) Charlene MacDonald Williams, RN passed away 06 Mar at LHSC London after a short but valiant fight with cancer. Cremation and interment has taken place IAW Char's wishes.
Take the tone of the company you are with. Lord Chesterfield

Offline AmmoTech90

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Catching Bullets
« Reply #451 on: May 12, 2018, 21:03:19 »
James DOMINE, C.D. - February 17, 1935 - May 10, 2018 - Peacefully at Northumberland Hills Hospital, Cobourg, on Thursday May 10, 2018, at the age of 83.

Beloved husband of Joanne (nee Elphick).

Loving father of Kathleen Williamson (Andrew) of Perth, Australia, and James (Abby) of Palo Alto, California.

Proud grandfather of Sean, Cameron, Kayleigh, Ben, Gigi, and Lori.

He will be missed by his sisters Patricia and Sandra, brother John, cousin Marsha, Joanne’s sister Glenda, and many other friends and extended family.

Jim was an active member of the Royal Regiment of Canada most recently serving on the foundation board. He was an employee of Bell Canada for 33 years, an occupation that took him around the world. He was enthusiastic about politics and enjoyed golfing and curling.

When the children were young, Jim devoted much time to organizing and volunteering for children’s sports.

A Celebration of Life will be held at a later date.

If desired, donations may be made to St. Peter’s Anglican Church, Cobourg, The Royal Canadian Regiment Association Fund, or Northumberland Hills Hospital.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

The fragrance of Afghanistan
Rewards a long day's toil
A Passage to Bangkok- Rush

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #452 on: May 12, 2018, 23:22:34 »
RIP sir
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #453 on: July 04, 2018, 23:48:22 »
Alfred Keep was killed in an MVA west of Calgary on Monday. A long serving Sapper and someone I've been proud to call my friend since 1980.
The last bridge has been crossed, hold fast brother,  see you on the objective soon.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Rick Goebel

• Donor
  • Rate Post
    • http://www.ducimus.com
Passing of LCol (Retd) Jim Breithaupt
« Reply #454 on: September 01, 2018, 17:21:16 »
Former Artillery and Infantry Officer, he passed away at age 83.  He commanded the HF of C and was Honourary Colonel of 7 (Toronto) Regiment RCA.  He was an keen supporter of the Order of Saint John and the Order of Saint Lazarus.  He was my CO when I was commissioned.  His obituary is at https://necrocanada.com/obituaries-2018/jamesroosjimbreithaupt-1934-2018/#.W4sB8s5KjIU.
Rick Goebel
Calgary

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
« Reply #455 on: September 27, 2018, 10:11:23 »
Cpl (Ret'd) Agnes Drury, Tel Op/Sig Op, passed away on Tuesday 25 Sep 18.  Services will be on Saturday in Carleton Place ON.

I first met Aggie in the mid 90's working at Node Tunney's then reconnected with her just before her retirement through the Navy League of Canada.  Great lady with a huge sense of humour.

http://www.barkerfh.com/obituary/agnes-drury
“Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." Jim Carrey
"Do unto others, then run." Benny Hill
"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." Kevin James

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #456 on: September 28, 2018, 08:39:02 »
MGen (ret'd) HC Pitts, MC CD ... the best CDS we never had.

From The RCR regimental net:

----------Note below shared from Jim ... F.Y.I. to Royals who have served with MGen Herb Pitts, MC, CD4 ...

Herb's own story in The Memory Project:
http://www.thememoryproject.com/stories/2306:herb-pitts/

It is with a heavy heart that we regretfully must share some very sad news.

Major General Pitts, MC, CD, passed away peacefully in his sleep in the early hours this date 27 September 2018.

More details will follow in his obituary, at which time the Branch president, will issue directions.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember him!

VP
James P. MacMillan-Murphy
Secretary & VPP Contact
Victoria Branch
PPCLI Association
--------

I can only repeat my initial reaction: "Damn! He was a great boss ... tough, kind, smart, demanding, helpful, friendly, fierce, loyal ... the best CDS we never had. 😥"
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #457 on: September 28, 2018, 09:19:45 »
And I will second everything Edward said. I had the good fortune to work for then-Major Pitts in operations branch in HQ 4 CIBG in 1965-66 when he was the brigade major. My wife, who had been a DND teacher, remarked that everyone - teachers, parents and other kids, had a lot of time for the Pitts family, who did not wear his rank in any way whatsoever.

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #458 on: September 28, 2018, 10:26:52 »
And, to make a bad day even worse, my old chum (we served together in 2RCR in the 1960s) Col (ret'd) Larry Bowen, who was CO of 1RCR in the 1980s, passed away last night. My thoughts are with Sue and his family ... he was one of the good guys.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 10:55:34 by E.R. Campbell »
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Online Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #459 on: September 28, 2018, 18:06:26 »
Damn, Ted!  Larry was a real gentleman warrior. I worked a lot with him at the Army Staff College,, where he was one of the trusted inner circle of “good Calian guys.”

RIP Larry.  :salute:

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #460 on: October 26, 2018, 08:15:13 »
Colonel (ret'd) W.H. (Humph) Sheridan, late RCCS, died of heart failure on Tuesday at the age of 81.

Humphrey was a first rate engineer, a good field unit commanding officer, an all round good officer, a true gentleman in the best sense of that word, a trusted mentor and a dear friend. The world was better for his being here; I will miss him

He had some innovative training ideas, more than one of which I copied, including the one about detachments not being able to have all the 'comforts' of their trailers until every detachment member could back the trailer into a tight spot in the woods, in the dark. It made corporals teach their younger det members how to do things right, the first time.

He was also not afraid to "speak truth to power," I was 'shadowing' him (at his invitation) one exercise when he, patiently, explained to the brigade commander why his (the general's) wishes were not going to happen ... little things like the laws of physics got in the way; the brigade commander wasn't happy but he accepted a bit of a very polite but very firm 'dressing down' from a major. That example also helped me in later years.

My thoughts go out to Kathleen and the family.

----------

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #461 on: October 26, 2018, 08:47:44 »
RIP sir.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
LCOL (ret'd) David Wilkie, Lake Superior Scottish Regiment, 1949-2018
« Reply #462 on: November 04, 2018, 16:56:14 »
In case you knew him or dealt with him during his time in ...
It is with profound sadness that we announce the unexpected passing of our loving husband and father, Mr. David Allan Wilkie, age 68 years, on Friday, October 12, 2018.

(...)

David began with the Militia as a Private at the age of 16. He continued his commitment throughout the years, working his way up the ranks to Lieutenant Colonel Commanding Officer of Lake Superior Scottish Regiment (LSSR). He was most recently the LSSR Senate Chair.

(...)
More in the full obit here.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #463 on: December 18, 2018, 07:31:31 »
Colonel (ret'd) Paul E Morneault, RCCS ...

I first met Paul in the 1960s, he was, then a pretty senior major but highly regarded by his subordinates for his brains, ability and willingness to get involved in the day-to-day details of the work. (At that time he was CO of Canada's embryonic tactical Electronic Warfare  Unit). Paul was probably promoted a bit more slowly than most others because he was a French Canadian in a corps other than the Infantry; that's the way things were in the 1940s and '50s.

He was a demanding task master but a brilliant teacher; he was also a quiet, reserved, I guess introspective man, who functioned best in small groups where his very real charm and erudition could sparkle. He died at the age of 91 but, sadly, in his last few years, he suffered from senile-dementia (Alzheimer's) and his friends and family watched as both the charm and the erudition faded.  :'(

I know he was a devoted husband and father ~ some of you will know his son Paul Jr who was blamed for part of the Somalia fiasco.

Paul Morneault was, above all else, a gentleman as I, at least understand that term: honest, upright, caring and generous, and all that but a man who practiced what he preached and did his very best to always set a good example, in both his professional and personal affairs, for others.
----------

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #464 on: January 20, 2019, 19:43:29 »
I don't know how many here would have known him, but it is my sad duty to report that Cpl (ret) Jerome Harley Fitzherbert passed away in his sleep this past friday. No further details available as of yet. Hold Fast, old friend, see you on the far bank one day.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #465 on: January 20, 2019, 21:19:19 »
RIP soldiers

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
« Reply #466 on: January 23, 2019, 12:58:07 »
Sgt (Ret'd) Luc Robertson passed away in Kingston last week.

https://www.arbormemorial.ca/reid/obituaries/luc-robertson/29109
"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." Kevin James

Offline Petard

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Once a gunner, always a gunner
« Reply #467 on: February 06, 2019, 16:06:28 »
LCol (ret'd) John Davidson, RCHA, passed away on 4 Feb 2019, funeral services will be held in Ottawa at the Beechwood memorial centre on 15 Feb 2019.

A very sad loss for the Regimental family, he was my first Battery Commander and was quite a charismatic leader; sincere condolences to his family and friends

https://beechwood.permavita.com/site/JohnADavidson.html?fbclid=IwAR3fDFZqbotno79HZKS4N87ALMWisYCXzXMRSlS25SrBBxJyFEnlBN3EGz0

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #468 on: February 06, 2019, 16:34:02 »
I met John in Shilo in 1967. We used to take my canoe for a paddle on Sewell Lake where we would solve the army's problems. A month or so ago we had a long email exchange, where we told me that his situation was not good. I told him in turn that we would get together on my return from Arizona, but it looks like our reunion is postponed indefinitely.

Offline stoker dave

• Rate Post
« Reply #469 on: March 04, 2019, 17:10:39 »
Brigadier General (Ret’d) James A. Bruce, MMM, CD, MBA

It is with great sadness and a broken heart that we the family announce the passing of Brigadier General James “Jim” A. Bruce, MMM, CD, MBA on 28 February 2019.

https://www.halifaxtoday.ca/obituaries/bruce-james-a-1303135

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #470 on: March 10, 2019, 08:07:48 »
Warrant Officer (ret) Kevin O'Keefe
March 27, 1946 - March 04, 2019

It is with overwhelming sadness that we announce that Warrant Officer Kevin Patrick O`Keefe (ret.) Field Engineers Squadron, Royal Newfoundland Regiment passed peacefully in the early morning hours of March 4th, 2019 at 72 years old surrounded by his loving family at his home in Mt.Pearl, Newfoundland. Predeceased by his parents James and Catherine, brother Walter, and loving aunts Mary and Shelia. Leaving to mourn his son, Sean, his two adoring daughters Susan and Barbara, and most especially by his loving granddaughter, Sara Kristina.  Kevin is survived by his brothers Dennis, Brian, and Barry, his sister Noreen Lee, former wife Patricia, as well as his large extended family of cousins, nieces, and nephews. Special thanks to his dedicated and loving caregivers and the entire team at 4NorthA, Health Sciences Complex. Resting at Caul`s Funeral Home LeMarchant Road. Visitation on Tuesday from 7-9:00pm and Wednesday 2-4:00pm and 7-9:00pm. Mass of Christian Burial Thursday, March 7th, 2019 at 10:00am at Mary Queen of the World Church.  Cremation to follow. Inurnment to follow at a later date. Flowers graciously accepted or donations can be made to the Diabetes Association of Newfoundland, Royal Canadian legion (Mount Pearl Branch), or the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Canada.

CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline kkwd

• Rate Post
« Reply #471 on: March 10, 2019, 22:01:16 »
Warrant Officer (ret) Kevin O'Keefe
March 27, 1946 - March 04, 2019

It is with overwhelming sadness that we announce that Warrant Officer Kevin Patrick O`Keefe (ret.) Field Engineers Squadron, Royal Newfoundland Regiment passed peacefully in the early morning hours of March 4th, 2019 at 72 years old surrounded by his loving family at his home in Mt.Pearl, Newfoundland. Predeceased by his parents James and Catherine, brother Walter, and loving aunts Mary and Shelia. Leaving to mourn his son, Sean, his two adoring daughters Susan and Barbara, and most especially by his loving granddaughter, Sara Kristina.  Kevin is survived by his brothers Dennis, Brian, and Barry, his sister Noreen Lee, former wife Patricia, as well as his large extended family of cousins, nieces, and nephews. Special thanks to his dedicated and loving caregivers and the entire team at 4NorthA, Health Sciences Complex. Resting at Caul`s Funeral Home LeMarchant Road. Visitation on Tuesday from 7-9:00pm and Wednesday 2-4:00pm and 7-9:00pm. Mass of Christian Burial Thursday, March 7th, 2019 at 10:00am at Mary Queen of the World Church.  Cremation to follow. Inurnment to follow at a later date. Flowers graciously accepted or donations can be made to the Diabetes Association of Newfoundland, Royal Canadian legion (Mount Pearl Branch), or the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Canada.

Sad news, Kev was quite the character. Rest in peace old man.
I like beer.

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #472 on: March 11, 2019, 12:27:15 »
That he was...
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
« Reply #473 on: May 27, 2019, 08:00:37 »
WO (Ret’d) Jordon (Jordy) Christopher Ochoski, CD

It is with heavy hearts the family of Jordon (Jordy) Christopher Ochoski announce his sudden passing at the age of 48 years.

Jordy is survived by his parents Bob and Judy Ochoski, fiancée Carrie-Ann Bettinger, brothers Jason (Susan) and Joel (Amy), niece Quinn and nephew Jackson. He is also survived by loving “Auntie” Anne-Louise; uncles Peter, Barry and Michael; Grandma Gwen Cull; cousins Pamela, Kim, Adam and Angela; and Otto his faithful and loving dog.

Jordy was a loving partner, son, brother and friend. He was loyal, protective and generous. While he portrayed a tough exterior, he was a ‘softie’ inside as those closest to him will attest. “It’s all good”, he’d say when asked how he was. His family and friends are heartbroken and he will be missed by all who loved him.

Jordy spent 25 years serving his country as a member of the Canadian Armed Forces. He served, with distinction, on five tours in Bosnia and Afghanistan. He completed his military service as a Warrant Officer in Ottawa as an ACISS-CISTM ITSEC INSP. Upon retiring from the military, Jordy went on to a successful career as a computer specialist with Department of National Defense and the Canadian Border Security Service.

Friends and family are invited to visit at the Beechwood National Memorial Centre, 280 Beechwood Ave., Ottawa on Monday June 3, 2019. from 10:00 a.m. until the time of the Memorial Service at 11 o’clock. Interment will take place at the National Military Cemetery. A reception will follow.

Donations to the Canadian Mental Health Association would be appreciated in lieu of flowers.

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #474 on: August 25, 2019, 19:17:14 »
Colonel Peter Sutton, aged 86. A few of you will know him, the rest are unlucky.

Colonel Sutton was a good soldier and better man.

----------