Author Topic: Sigs Question  (Read 30607 times)

Offline shado_wolf

• Rate Post
Sigs Question
« on: June 15, 2003, 23:22:00 »
If I am not mistaken Sigs is a Tri Service correct?  Meaning you could be posted to a Navy, Air Force or Army base.

Any one with first hand knowledge that can confirm/deny this?

Thanks,
dylan

DnA

Re: Sigs Question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 18:46:00 »
according to the Job Description on the DND website,yes a Sig Op can be attached to either a Army, Air Force or Navy unit

klumanth

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 20:10:00 »
From what I‘ve seen... not really.  It is an army trade and it‘s almost guaranteed you will start with an army posting.  I‘m sure there are navy and air force positions but you probably won‘t get a chance at them till later in your career.  Most new Sig Ops I‘ve seen end up in Pet, Kingston or Edmonton

Offline shado_wolf

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 00:54:00 »
thanks for the replies guys.

Ya when I handed in my package today I asked the recruter and he said.... no.

It it an army trade and the navy and air force have there own radio operators.  I am still wondering about the description that said you could end up workin with the other branches.

Dylan

Offline Paul Gagnon

• Rate Post
  • insert title here
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 00:26:00 »
Even though it is an Army trade you could still be posted to a unit in any branch.

odanak

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 19:03:00 »
As a Sig Op you will most likely be Posted to Petawawa, Edmonton, Kingston (the Home Station) or Valcartier your first posting. We do have Sig Ops posted to Navy and Airforce Bases. Sig Ops work on base in Halifax and Esquimalt in the Message Center, and the Air Ground Air sites, Sig Ops also Man the MACS site in Trenton and there a number posted to Ottawa. You can also be posted to just about any base in Canada, and the likelyhood of doing a tour overseas is very high.
SIgnals, the first ones in and the last ones out. Never an operation without. You have joined a proud and honourable group.

Offline gryphon664

• Rate Post
  • VVV
    • http://ca.geocities.com/imreglaser
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2003, 22:01:00 »
although we carry the cross-swords, i have heard of people getting posted to either branch of the services... tho rare... It‘s understandable because we do have different VP and stuff like that, and the navy (to my knowledge) still uses the morse code, while normal sig ops aren‘t taught it...

Mind you, if they are short on people, i wouldn‘t be surprised if the air force or the navy would ask us to support them
Velox Versutus Vigilans!

Per Nuntium Ad Victoriam!

RaceFaceR1

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 22:50:00 »
Originally posted by Gary Quann:
[qb] As a Sig Op you will most likely be Posted to Petawawa, Edmonton, Kingston (the Home Station) or Valcartier your first posting. We do have Sig Ops posted to Navy and Airforce Bases. Sig Ops work on base in Halifax and Esquimalt in the Message Center, and the Air Ground Air sites, Sig Ops also Man the MACS site in Trenton and there a number posted to Ottawa. You can also be posted to just about any base in Canada, and the likelyhood of doing a tour overseas is very high.
SIgnals, the first ones in and the last ones out. Never an operation without. You have joined a proud and honourable group. [/qb]
I miss MACS Trenten   :(

Offline Still In Sarajevo

• Rate Post
  • VVV
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 13:06:52 »
...but aren't there Naval Signallers?

As a Sig Op, I could see the confusion - my own wife hardly gets it.

So I tell her "Yes, Sig Ops are army but my unit (JSR) is a joint or tri-service unit. And the base carries a majority of army". You should have seen the look on her face when I told her I could go to "Trenton which is air force, or halifax which is navy or Ottawa which is...well...crap". "And yes", I tell her, "I always have been and always be army".
It takes the reasonable man to understand that he must adapt himself to the world around him. It takes the unreasonable man to try and change the world so it adapts to him. That is why our world's progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
In the navy... you can sail the seven seas... (Radio Operators...)
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 21:24:06 »
Anyone know if any naval call outs ever pop up for Rad Ops? I'm trying to figure out a way to get behind a .50Cal... if going to sea would give me even a slight chance, I'll take it.

aesop081

Re: In the navy... you can sail the seven seas... (Radio Operators...)
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 21:33:42 »
Ex-Dragoon would be a good one to answer this but as i understand it, the navy has it's own signals trade , MOC 277 naval comunicator. So i think you may be SOL !

Offline GypsyPronto

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 21:39:00 »
When I did my BMQ, my PO told me she spent a lot of time working with SigOps. So there may be a slight chance.

-KaT

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2005, 22:16:09 »
So i think you may be SOL !

Darn... maybe I'll just shimmy up the ropes while they're in port and hope they'll take me on as a skilled stowaway...

Offline JayJay

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2005, 00:07:02 »
  Just ask your Ops & Trg, if they have anything, I'm sure they'd be more than thrilled to send you on a tasking.....although I highly doubt they'll let you near their weapons....
VVV-Velox Versutus Vigilans

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2005, 08:48:35 »
All the Nav Comms do is act as loaders, its the Bosn's that operate the .50s.
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

Sher H

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2005, 21:05:14 »
Buddy I know was a "291'er spy" on board ship and he got to play with the "guns". Not sure if you could/would qualify for boarding party team, but hey, give it a try.

Sher H

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2005, 21:06:46 »
Follow-up: Better get friendly with the Fire Controlman (Chief) and he can pull a few strings with the Buffer or maybe the Cox.

Offline Willy

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2005, 18:10:04 »
Comm Reserve units on the coasts have a good bit of involvement with the navy, and are tasked to support the TTCC's (navy field deployable HQ/comcen unit).  There are also occasional opportunities for our guys to work on the MCDV's for a month or two at a time, but these are quite rare.  There's usually no good reason for army personnel to be aboard ship, so you're probably best off pursuing your .50 dreams elsewhere.

Offline P-Free(Banned)

• Banned
  • Rate Post
  • I AM A RUBBER DUCK. QUACK
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2005, 19:55:01 »
The recruiter I talked to was a SigOp and explained to me exactly what it is they do and he told me that they can be posted to Navy or Air Force units. They always wear the Army uniform though. 

Offline Radop

• VVV
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2005, 16:24:33 »
The recruiter I talked to was a SigOp and explained to me exactly what it is they do and he told me that they can be posted to Navy or Air Force units. They always wear the Army uniform though.  
Liar!!!!!!  Just kidding.  He is only telling a half truth.  The navy is taking back all the positions on shore and sea and people who were posted there last year are now getting posting messages back to Kingston so never count on a post to a naval base.  That being said, this is the second time the navy has "taken back" those positions from army sig ops and put naval commops in place.
Radop
VVV
-----------------------
The Cnd soldier loves to *****, it is the leaders responsibility to determine whether that bitching is good natured fun or a serious problem that needs dwelving into.

Offline Canadian Sig

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2005, 14:28:23 »
I worked as a sig op at CFB Comox (air force) in BC. However that was just for OJT and as a favor to have me near my kids. The sig ops posted there were working the message center and all had TONS of years in uniform. They also had been told to get ready to head to a "hard army" posting.  :salute:
V.V.V.

The secret of war lies in the communications
   Napoleon Boneparte

Offline Radop

• VVV
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2005, 19:24:49 »
Cnd Sig, you will probably remember the Career Manager talking about ship to shore ratio for the trade.  I have 11 yrs as a sig op and 11 yrs of field postings (I know all you bde guys would argue the rgmt is not a field posting but it is definitely not a static unit).  It is about time that some of these guys in these static postings for 10 or more years are sent to the field units so the rest of us get the chance for a rest.

This coming year will see a lot of people posted.  Normally we only see 80 postings a year but this year is suppose to be more than double that.
Radop
VVV
-----------------------
The Cnd soldier loves to *****, it is the leaders responsibility to determine whether that bitching is good natured fun or a serious problem that needs dwelving into.

Offline Canadian Sig

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2005, 07:34:15 »
Rad op I agree that it is about time but some of those guys will be pretty hard to move out of those positions! They tend to grow roots on those cushy postings.lol. Some folks will be in for a bit of a rude awakening when they get posted.
V.V.V.

The secret of war lies in the communications
   Napoleon Boneparte

Offline sigspig

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2005, 15:31:40 »
I can tell you that Sig Ops can go to Air Force Bases. I was in Gander, NFLD...Air Force, Goose Bay Labrador...again..air force Base, and I was at NDHQ Ottawa. Now I am back at the school teaching the new Sigs. What the carreer managers would love to see is all blue guys on Air Force Bases, all green guys on Army bases but this is much harder to accomplish that they thought. Especially now that there are no more Tel Ops to work the message centers, the Rad Ops have to do it. So yeah, good chance on you getting posted to an Air Force base but not until you have done your time in the field to give the older guys in the trade a chance to take a break if they want it, unless you are a whiz at computers...which we also cover in our wonderfull trade.

Offline Radop

• VVV
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2005, 21:30:21 »
I can tell you that Sig Ops can go to Air Force Bases. I was in Gander, NFLD...Air Force, Goose Bay Labrador...again..air force Base, and I was at NDHQ Ottawa. Now I am back at the school teaching the new Sigs. What the carreer managers would love to see is all blue guys on Air Force Bases, all green guys on Army bases but this is much harder to accomplish that they thought. Especially now that there are no more Tel Ops to work the message centers, the Rad Ops have to do it. So yeah, good chance on you getting posted to an Air Force base but not until you have done your time in the field to give the older guys in the trade a chance to take a break if they want it, unless you are a whiz at computers...which we also cover in our wonderfull trade.

What field time do you have?  Three static bases in 17 yrs svc.  I have been asking to teach at the school and they say I am too close to being a Sgt so they won't post me there.  I want to go to 1 Bde so they posted me to Pet.  I again asked for 1 Bde and they posted me to CFJSR.  Not cushy postings but I loved my time in all these locations.  (not to mention 6 yrs with the infantry as an infanteer)  I love the field work but my body is not recovering nearly as fast as I would like now a days.  Oh well, I asked for an RFTA position and I will probably get Europe, lol.  (boy would I be upset with that, lol) :P
Radop
VVV
-----------------------