Author Topic: Battle Honours for Afghanistan  (Read 64912 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Re: Battle Honours for Afghanistan
« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2014, 12:10:33 »
I recall a great hue and cry about battle honours following the Falklands War.

I know it's Wikipedia, but I found this article of interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_honour

A battle honour may be granted to infantry/cavalry regiments or battalions, as well as ships (see Naval battle honours below) and squadrons; they are rarely granted to sub-units such as companies, platoons and sections in the army. Battle honours are usually presented in the form of a name of a country, region, or city where the unit's distinguished act took place, usually together with the year when it occurred.

Not every battle fought will automatically result in the granting of a battle honour. Conversely, a regiment or a battalion might obtain more than one battle honour over the course of a larger operation. For example, the 2nd Battalion of the Scots Guards were awarded two battle honours for their role in the Falklands War; "Tumbledown Mountain" specifically for the Battle of Mount Tumbledown, and "Falkland Islands 1982" for the overall conflict. Similarly, while in Korea, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry earned both "Kapyong" (for the Battle of Kapyong) and "Korea 1951–1953" (for the overall war). A unit does not have to successfully defeat their adversary to earn a battle honour: the Hong Kong Volunteer Defence Corps received the battle honour "Hong Kong" despite the defeat and capture of most of the force during the Japanese invasion of Hong Kong, while the cruiser HMAS Sydney was awarded the naval engagement honour "Kormoran 1941" after being sunk with all aboard by the German raider Kormoran.

Supporting corps/branches such as medical, service, ordnance, or transport do not currently receive battle honours. However and uniquely the Royal Logistic Corps has five battle honours inherited from its previous transport elements, such as the Royal Waggon Train. Commonwealth artillery does not maintain battle honours as they carry neither colours nor guidons—though their guns by tradition are afforded many of the same respects and courtesies. However, both the Royal Artillery and Royal Engineers were in 1832 granted by King William IV the right to use the Latin "Ubique", meaning everywhere, as a battle honour. This is worn on the cap badge of both the Corps of Royal Engineers and the Royal Regiment of Artillery (but not the Royal Horse Artillery). Likewise the Royal Marines, although a colours-carrying service, was granted, along with the conventional battle honour of "Gibraltar", the "Great Globe itself" by King George IV for its very numerous battle honours around the world.

The practice was later extended to these same regiments and corps in the successor Commonwealth armed forces.
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2014, 20:02:53 »
Have brigades or divisions (or maybe a formation HQ) ever been awarded battle honours?

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2014, 20:04:29 »
I believe so.  My memory is a little faded, but I believe that when I was at 1 Div, there was mention of Battle Honours.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline X_para76

• Rate Post
« Reply #153 on: May 12, 2014, 21:48:56 »
In regards to the decision to award a theatre honour to units from CANSOFCOM does anyone here know if any of those units currently hold any other honours? Did they inherit any from units such as the Devils Brigade? Just curious and although I read through the entire thread it's possible that it was discussed earlier and I missed it. If this is the case then please accept my apology and direct me to the appropriate thread or page. Many thanks!
"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it." Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

MikeL

« Reply #154 on: May 12, 2014, 21:50:52 »
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/operations-special-forces/csor.page
CSOR proudly carries the Black Devils’ battle honours, and the Devils’ spirit lives on at CSOR.

http://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2014/05/09/south-west-asia-theatre-honours
UBIQUE Motto

The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, the Corps of Royal Canadian Engineers and Joint Task Force 2 do not carry individual battle honours, but instead use the motto “UBIQUE,” meaning “everywhere.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/427_Special_Operations_Aviation_Squadron#Battle_honours
427 Squadron was awarded the following battle honours, which are carried on their standard:[4]

English Channel and North Sea 1943–1945
Baltic 1944–1945
Fortress Europe 1943–1944
France and Germany 1944–1945
Biscay 1944
Biscay Ports 1943–1944
Ruhr 1943–1945
Berlin 1943–1944
German Ports 1943–1945
Normandy 1944
Rhine
Afghanistan[6]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 21:53:55 by Hoplite- »

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2014, 21:56:00 »
Have brigades or divisions (or maybe a formation HQ) ever been awarded battle honours?

None that I have ever discovered. Formations and headquarters are not traditional "line of battle" units.

Offline X_para76

• Rate Post
"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it." Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2014, 23:24:08 »
None that I have ever discovered. Formations and headquarters are not traditional "line of battle" units.

The US has the Presidential Unit Citation, awarded to Divs etc.

Looks like some were well earned in this list!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_Unit_Citation_(United_States)

"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2014, 23:29:15 »
Looks like some were well earned in this list!
Are you referring to 2 PPCLI or JTF-2.....both of which are PUC-holders.  ;)

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2014, 23:32:00 »
The US has the Presidential Unit Citation, awarded to Divs etc.

Which are not Battle Honours in the Canadian system. They are a different nation's awards, with their own terms of reference and system of being awarded.