Author Topic: Public Service Health Care Plan PSHCP [Merged]  (Read 69422 times)

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Public Service Health Care Plan PSHCP [Merged]
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2014, 19:54:48 »
By itself, yes.  Added with other medical expenses, maybe not.

Offline Crispy Bacon

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2014, 07:41:59 »
Canada Revenue Agency - medical expenses

As well:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/330/ntllwbl-eng.html

Which medical expenses are not eligible?

There are a number of expenses that are commonly claimed as medical expenses in error. The expenses you cannot claim include the following:

•athletic or fitness club fees;
•birth control devices (non-prescription);
•blood pressure monitors;
•cosmetic surgery - expenses for purely cosmetic procedures including any related services and other expenses such as travel, incurred after March 4, 2010,cannot be claimed as medical expenses. Both surgical and non-surgical procedures purely aimed at enhancing one's appearance are not eligible. These non-eligible expenses include the following:
◦liposuction;
◦hair replacement procedures;
◦filler injections (for removal of wrinkles);
◦teeth whitening.

An expense, including those identified above, may qualify as a medical expense if it is necessary for medical or reconstructive purposes, such as surgery to address a deformity related to a congenital abnormality, a personal injury resulting from an accident or trauma, or a disfiguring disease.
•diaper services;
•health plan premiums paid by an employer and not included in your income;
•health programs;
•organic food;
•over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements, even if prescribed by a medical practitioner;
•personal response systems such as Lifeline and Health Line Services;
•the following provincial and territorial plans:
◦Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan
◦Manitoba Health Plan
◦Medical Services Plan of British Columbia
◦New Brunswick Medicare Division of Provincial Department of Health
◦Newfoundland Medical Care Plan
◦Northwest Territories Health Insurance Services Agency of Territorial Government
◦Nova Scotia Medical Services Insurance
◦Ontario Health Insurance Plan
◦Prince Edward Island Health Services Payment Plan
◦Quebec Health Insurance Board (including payments made to the Health Services Fund)
◦Saskatchewan Medical Care Insurance Plan
◦Yukon Territorial Insurance Commission; or
•travel expenses for which you can get reimbursed.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:45:23 by Crispy Bacon »
Banned for registering when already banned, among other things.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post

Offline Alf125

• Rate Post
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2014, 23:28:17 »
A few comments on the topic:

1. You can claim what you pay in medical insurance premiums but not the employers share. For the regular force the employer covers the full cost of basic coverage so you would only be able to claim anything you pay for extra coverage which currently maxes out at about $5.00/month I believe. Reservists and Pensioners pay a much higher portion of PSHCP depending on level of coverage, family situation and class/duration of service (for reservists) so they would be able to claim these amounts.

2. As noted by others there is a 3% of net income threshold that must be reached before medical expenses are of any benefit on your taxes. For example a single member with $70K in net income would have to exceed $2100 in medical expenses before there would be any tax benefit, unlikely for a single member. However PSHCP has a co-pay and coverage limitations so a married/common law member might reach this level especially if a dependant has significant medical issues.

3. The combined medical expenses for the entire family (spouses/minor children) may be claimed by either partner in married/common law relationships. A single parent with $70K and medical expenses of $1600 would see no tax benefit. However if he/she was married or common law and the partner had $20Kin net income then the lower income partner could claim $1000 (1600 - [3% of 20K]) medical expenses and save $180-$240 on their taxes depending on province of residence.

4. The Harper government is in the process of tripling PSHCP premiums for pensioners. For single level 1 coverage the cost will go from $21.78 to about $65.00 per month. Combined with co-pays and coverage limitations this will put more pensioners over the 3% threshold for medical expenses.

5. Neither pay offices for current members nor PWGSC for pensioners includes health insurance premiums on T4/T4A slips even though the slips have boxes for these entries. CRA will not accept pay/pension statements as proof of the expense. If you wish to claim these amounts you should get a statement from your pay office or PWGSC as applicable stating how much you paid.

6. For retired members who pay premiums for the Pensioners Dental Service Plan (PDSP), these are also claimable as a medical expenses and PWGSC will include on a statement with your PSHCP premiums if you ask for them both.

Offline misratah500

• Rate Post
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2015, 19:03:50 »
Do you guys know if a service for a child like Registered Clinic Counsellor would be covered under Sun Life or whomever we use for coverage? I'm not sure who to contact to look into this.

Online MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2015, 19:08:09 »
http://www.pshcp.ca/coverage.aspx

All your coverage questions and more.  I would call them, other than one or two small issues I have found their call center pretty decent.

Services of other medical practitioners
To be eligible under the Plan, the services rendered must:

be performed by a practitioner that is registered, licensed or certified—in accordance with provincial/territorial regulations—to practice in the jurisdiction where the services are rendered,
require the skills and qualifications of the practitioner,
be in the area of expertise of that practitioner.
You are encouraged to contact Sun Life prior to incurring expenses to verify that the medical practitioner has the appropriate credentials for their services to be eligible under the Plan.

Eligible expenses
Acupuncture   
Acupuncture treatments performed by a physician.

Chiropractor   
Maximum eligible expense of $500 per calendar year.

Electrologist

(or physician when performing electrolysis treatments)   
Treatment for the permanent removal of excessive hair from exposed areas of the face and neck when the patient suffers from severe emotional trauma as a result of this condition.

In the case where the services are performed by an electrologist, a prescription is required from a psychiatrist or a psychologist to certify that the patient suffers from severe emotional trauma as a result of this condition.

The prescription is valid for three years. The maximum eligible expense is $20 per visit.

Massage therapist   
Maximum eligible expense of $300 per calendar year.

Physician's prescription is required and is valid for one year.

Naturopath   

Osteopath   

Physiotherapist   
Maximum eligible expense of up to $500 and over $1,000 per calendar year.

Podiatrist / Chiropodist   

Psychologist   
Maximum eligible expense of $2,000 per calendar year.

In 2014, the $1,000 top-up will only apply to expenses incurred on or after October 1st.

Social worker   
Only if you live in an isolated post (listed in Appendix A of the National Joint Council’s Isolated Posts and Government Housing Directive) and no psychologist practices in that isolated post.

Speech language pathologist   
Maximum eligible expense of $500 per calendar year.

Hope is not a valid COA

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2015, 19:08:29 »
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline misratah500

• Rate Post
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2015, 23:24:48 »
Does anyone know where I can find our dental coverage?

Offline LunchMeat

• Rate Post
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2015, 23:33:27 »
Start reading: http://www.pshcp.ca/coverage.aspx

This is Dental Coverage for RegF personnel (and select ResF mbrs)

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-health-services-benefits-drug-coverage/comprehensive-dental-care.page

However for benefits for family are through PSHCP as above.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 23:41:19 by LunchMeat »
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2015, 00:29:51 »

However for benefits for family are through PSHCP as above.

While there is a dental benefit under PSHCP, it is only for certain procedures and courses of treatment following accidental injury.  For regular dental services there is a separate and distinct plan - the Dependants' Dental Care Plan (DDCP) http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-benefits/dependants-dental-care-plan.page
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 00:36:03 by Blackadder1916 »
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline 3VPspecialty

• Rate Post
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2016, 15:18:59 »
Just wanted to hear what everyone thinks about the PSHCP for veterans? How many use it? Do you find it worth the money?

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2016, 15:55:43 »
Is it worth it?  That answer may differ from person to person. 

It is an insurance policy that will give you coverage and refund a percentage of your medical expenses back to you.

A similar insurance policy for Dental (Pensioner' Dental Service Plan - PDSP) is also available.  This is administered by Sun Life, as well.

In some cases, in conjunction with another medical or dental plan held by your spouse, you may get 100% refund.

In the end, participation is up to you.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2016, 18:39:46 »
I would highly recommend it. The health plan covers 80% of the approved fee schedule for prescription drugs for you and your family, etc. The dental plan covers annual checkups for you and your family and other fees (fillings etc) up to $1,500 per year.

You can deduct both annual premiums off your income tax as well as what Sun Life did not cover (the 20%). Travel benefit for the health plan for 40 days, so if you travel to the USA you have some coverage.

All the info is on line which I am sure you looked at.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2016, 18:45:06 »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline 3VPspecialty

• Rate Post
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2016, 19:22:10 »
Is it worth it?  That answer may differ from person to person. 

It is an insurance policy that will give you coverage and refund a percentage of your medical expenses back to you.

A similar insurance policy for Dental (Pensioner' Dental Service Plan - PDSP) is also available.  This is administered by Sun Life, as well.

In some cases, in conjunction with another medical or dental plan held by your spouse, you may get 100% refund.

In the end, participation is up to you.

Thanks for the info, do you know if the dental plan is open to all retired members? Or only those receiving a pension??

Offline paleomedic

• Rate Post
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2016, 07:03:12 »
George, is the dental plan not administered by Great West Life, same as for dependents?

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2016, 07:10:09 »
George, is the dental plan not administered by Great West Life, same as for dependents?

Great West Life is managing the SRSPs.

Sun Life is managing both the Dental and the Health plans for pensioners.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 07:44:47 by George Wallace »

Online ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2016, 10:40:57 »
I kept PSHCP when I got out. It costs me on average about $1000 per year. Given that I have four of us to cover, and my drugs costs would be $250 per month (at 100%), plus four pairs of glasses every two years... it's worth it to me. It will still be worth it when my kids leave home.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Baden Guy

Full Member.

• Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2016, 14:50:46 »
Lets take an average retired married couple. As they age diabetes, high blood pressure and a few others become quite common.
In Ontario waiting until you are 65 for the provincial drug plan to kick in can get expensive.

The dental plan is also a good idea. Older teeth can go through $1500 per year in a hurry.

IMHO worth every dollar.

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2016, 19:40:45 »
Lets take an average retired married couple. As they age diabetes, high blood pressure and a few others become quite common.
In Ontario waiting until you are 65 for the provincial drug plan to kick in can get expensive.

The dental plan is also a good idea. Older teeth can go through $1500 per year in a hurry.

IMHO worth every dollar.

I second , and even third and fouth it. Very well said!

A worthwhile plan, and my family uses it.

Tess
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline thevetswife

• Rate Post
« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2016, 00:01:44 »
We most certainly get our $ worth having the plan.  You can also use the amount of the premiums towards your medical amount on your tax return.

Offline 3VPspecialty

• Rate Post
« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2016, 12:10:40 »
I could be wrong here but my only wish is for there to be an added dental plan with the PSHCP. I understand that there is a pensioners dental plan but as a young adult who isn't a pensioner but still a veteran it makes finding dental insurance a pain having to deal with two different insurance companies.

Offline Eric17

• Rate Post
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2016, 19:43:35 »
Can my family receive Canadian forces benefits? or I am the only one who can have them?
Recruiting Centre: HMCS Discovery/New Westminister RC
Regular/ Reserve: Reserve
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Naval Combat Information Operator
Trade Choice 2: Boatswain
Trade Choice 3: Naval Communicator
Online Application: July 19th 2016
First Contact: July 21th 2016
FORCE test: July 28th, 2016 (Passed)
CFAT: September 22nd, 2016 (Passed)
Medical: October 21st, 2016 (Passed)
Interview: October 21st, 2016 (Passed)
Position offered: Boatswain
Swearing in: December 6th, 2016
BMQ: TBD

Offline AmmoTech90

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Catching Bullets
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2016, 19:48:39 »
Well, they're not going to get a paycheck unless they join up as well.

Want to be a bit clearer?
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

The fragrance of Afghanistan
Rewards a long day's toil
A Passage to Bangkok- Rush

Offline Eric17

• Rate Post
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2016, 19:51:30 »
Well, they're not going to get a paycheck unless they join up as well.

Want to be a bit clearer?

Like (For example) health/dental benefits
Recruiting Centre: HMCS Discovery/New Westminister RC
Regular/ Reserve: Reserve
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Naval Combat Information Operator
Trade Choice 2: Boatswain
Trade Choice 3: Naval Communicator
Online Application: July 19th 2016
First Contact: July 21th 2016
FORCE test: July 28th, 2016 (Passed)
CFAT: September 22nd, 2016 (Passed)