Author Topic: Sig op- Infantry man with a radio?  (Read 31797 times)

Offline Radop

• VVV
  • Rate Post
Re: Sig op- Infantry man with a radio?
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2005, 13:27:47 »
When I worked at 2 CER (a long time ago) they had a sig section, which was part of RHQ troop. It wasn't just radops either, there were some young (and not so young) sappers employed as sigs. The same way that all of the other combat arms units do it.

Sigsguy is exactly right.  Most of the combat arms units use there own people to fill in the shortage of sig pers to the units.  During war, the war establishment and TO&E gets upgraded to war strength and recruiting or conscription would happen to get up to those numbers.
Radop
VVV
-----------------------
The Cnd soldier loves to *****, it is the leaders responsibility to determine whether that bitching is good natured fun or a serious problem that needs dwelving into.

Offline 2023

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2005, 19:08:33 »
In peace time the manning is around seven but goes up to 22 for wartime establishment.   That's a troop.

Hmmmmmmmmmm so in reality then, there hasn't been a troop since the Korean War???

That's what I thought!
"Even if you control the physical, you do not control the man. If you control his mind.........then you have him."

Offline DaveK

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2005, 16:09:55 »
Hmmmmmmmmmm so in reality then, there hasn't been a troop since the Korean War???

That's what I thought!

Then there must not have been a regiment since then either? ;)

Offline Radop

• VVV
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2005, 18:28:39 »
Then there must not have been a regiment since then either? ;)

I wish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had a div HQ with only 50K in the total forces.  Was that required.  I worked that monstrosity of a CP so I definitely have an opinion on that.
Radop
VVV
-----------------------
The Cnd soldier loves to *****, it is the leaders responsibility to determine whether that bitching is good natured fun or a serious problem that needs dwelving into.

Offline Canadian Sig

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2005, 14:18:31 »
hey rhino.... Dont let any of this sig crap discourage you because being a sig at the Bde level Sig Sqn is the coolest job I've ever had ( and I've had many!). I just signed my second BE and I have already been to Kabul for Roto 0 and have had the chance to take tons of courses. We do everything from comm's exercises to patrol exes (2 this year). It's the best of both worlds (combat arms/support).  :cdn:
V.V.V.

The secret of war lies in the communications
   Napoleon Boneparte

Offline Island Ryhno

• Rate Post
  • "Tough times go away, Tough people do not"
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2005, 10:56:13 »
Hey guys, thanks for all the info, I think sig ops will be my first choice. BTW what are the chances of a posting to Edmonton?
"A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living."
-John F. Kennedy (JFK)

Offline Radop

• VVV
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2005, 18:49:59 »
Hey guys, thanks for all the info, I think sig ops will be my first choice. BTW what are the chances of a posting to Edmonton?

Edmonton is the priority for postings from the school right now but in the year and a half that it takes to get qualified (basic, SQ, and QL3s) that may change.  I would say that in the next two to three years it will remain high though.
Radop
VVV
-----------------------

Offline Jimmy P. On

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2005, 09:42:36 »
If you want to go that bad, kick your SSM in the nutz.  You would get "priority posting" from no matter where you are! :dontpanic:
livin' the REMF life..UFN/TTBD.

Offline Cpl Bloggins

• Reservist
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2005, 10:58:13 »
LOL!  ;D
VVV

Offline Radop

• VVV
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2005, 21:43:01 »
If you want to go that bad, kick your SSM in the nutz.   You would get "priority posting" from no matter where you are! :dontpanic:

Yeah, thats one way of getting there and then I will be the lofty rank you hold, lol.  Sorry but I like the chevrons and leaf I have and don't plan on giving any back.

By the way, I'm telling John W. and OB your bugging me on line and then ME so she will beat you every day for 6 mos.  Live with that eh!!! :salute:  lol
Radop
VVV
-----------------------

Offline Jimmy P. On

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2005, 08:56:00 »
Yeah, thats one way of getting there and then I will be the lofty rank you hold, lol.  Sorry but I like the chevrons and leaf I have and don't plan on giving any back.

By the way, I'm telling John W. and OB your bugging me on line and then ME so she will beat you every day for 6 mos.  Live with that eh!!! :salute:  lol
Excellent, " The floggings will continue until the Pte's morale increases!"...Oh yeah RADOP.  Don't actually do that.  The part of Edmonton you will go to, wou dont wanna be there.  Gonna end up polishing garbage can lids for you're right to speak.

Offline Radop

• VVV
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2005, 18:03:53 »
Excellent, " The floggings will continue until the Pte's morale increases!"...Oh yeah RADOP.   Don't actually do that.   The part of Edmonton you will go to, wou dont wanna be there.   Gonna end up polishing garbage can lids for you're right to speak.

You polish the toilets made of brass and you have to polish you boot polish can as well.  I have a few friends that have graduated from DB in Edmonton.
Radop
VVV
-----------------------

Offline Jimmy P. On

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2005, 20:01:32 »
Ouch,

Online meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2005, 20:18:17 »
hey rhino.... Dont let any of this sig crap discourage you because being a sig at the Bde level Sig Sqn is the coolest job I've ever had ( and I've had many!). I just signed my second BE and I have already been to Kabul for Roto 0 and have had the chance to take tons of courses. We do everything from comm's exercises to patrol exes (2 this year). It's the best of both worlds (combat arms/support).   :cdn:

Yea you guys had so much fun setting up that field kitchen for the last ex.

Offline Radop

• VVV
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2005, 20:53:55 »
So how is roto 4 training going or are you staying in the rear with the gear?
Radop
VVV
-----------------------

Offline Jimmy P. On

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2005, 21:38:45 »
If youre talking to me, Roto 3/4 actually, its goin good. slow right now but im sure its gonna pick up.

Offline Radop

• VVV
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2005, 09:02:03 »
I was actually talking to meniOn as I could just walk over to E-30 to ask you how sitting in the canteen is going, lol.   By the way, I talked with ME, and she agrees that the hyphon has to go.   Only one name for people deploying overseas, lol.

Not sure how all this relates to sigop, infanteer with a radio, but lets carry on.
Radop
VVV
-----------------------

Online meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2005, 09:19:55 »
Training didn't start yet. Was told I'm slated to go, I believe it starts end of may when TFK stands up.

Offline Island Ryhno

• Rate Post
  • "Tough times go away, Tough people do not"
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2005, 11:11:15 »
I was actually talking to meniOn as I could just walk over to E-30 to ask you how sitting in the canteen is going, lol.   By the way, I talked with ME, and she agrees that the hyphon has to go.   Only one name for people deploying overseas, lol.

Not sure how all this relates to sigop, infanteer with a radio, but lets carry on.

Oh I enjoy the cheery banter, carry on- Smithers release the hounds  >:D
"A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living."
-John F. Kennedy (JFK)

Offline Canadian Sig

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2005, 15:01:06 »
Yea you guys had so much fun setting up that field kitchen for the last ex.

Sorry sonny but I have never had the pleasure of setting up a field kitchen.   :dontpanic:
V.V.V.

The secret of war lies in the communications
   Napoleon Boneparte

Offline Radop

• VVV
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2005, 20:39:46 »
But you sure enjoyed the rewards from one being set up.  lol.  I like the food from any Cnd Cook.  We are definitely spoiled in the field.
Radop
VVV
-----------------------