Author Topic: CAF Combat boots policy 2005-2018  (Read 282313 times)

Offline Harris

Is back at the grind.

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
Re: CAF Combat boots policy 2005-2018
« Reply #275 on: April 26, 2016, 12:59:38 »
Received my first pair of LOTB Thur.  Refused the zippered version and received the other style.

First issue - The mondo point size I'm supposed to wear doesn't fit.  In fact the opening to insert my foot is too small for me to do so due to high arches.  The supply pers said that that was happening a lot and people have to get larger sizes.  I had to get a size two sizes too large in order for my foot to fit.  Wore for the weekend and they were terrible.  Will give them a few weeks of wear to see if they break in.  One problem I'm seeing already is because they are so large my toes have a ton of room and are nowhere near where they are supposed to be and the bend in the toe when I walk digs into my toes.  Not looking forward to a ruck march in them.

Another of my soldiers received the zippered version and once he did up both the laces and zippers, undoing the zipper only wouldn't allow him to get his foot out.  He now has to use the laces anyhow.

Yet my 4 pairs of various self purchased boots, both gortex and non have never had any of these issues.
Cheers

Todd
Army.ca

"We need leaders who have physical and mental courage on the battlefield, of course, but also the courage to speak their minds and offer respectful and candid feedback to their superiors. Our leaders can’t feel compelled to tell their bosses what they want to hear."
- H.R. McMaster.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #276 on: April 26, 2016, 13:23:58 »
Saw this and had to comment - this is what happens when we try to make EVERYONE happy...

Unsatisfactory. How do they expect one to open one's wine without losing half of the contents of the bottle with the corkscrew in that location? Are we supposed to become contortionists now?

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #277 on: April 26, 2016, 16:15:57 »
Received my first pair of LOTB Thur.  Refused the zippered version and received the other style.

First issue - The mondo point size I'm supposed to wear doesn't fit.  In fact the opening to insert my foot is too small for me to do so due to high arches.  The supply pers said that that was happening a lot and people have to get larger sizes. I had to get a size two sizes too large in order for my foot to fit.  Wore for the weekend and they were terrible.  Will give them a few weeks of wear to see if they break in.  One problem I'm seeing already is because they are so large my toes have a ton of room and are nowhere near where they are supposed to be and the bend in the toe when I walk digs into my toes.  Not looking forward to a ruck march in them.

Another of my soldiers received the zippered version and once he did up both the laces and zippers, undoing the zipper only wouldn't allow him to get his foot out.  He now has to use the laces anyhow.

Yet my 4 pairs of various self purchased boots, both gortex and non have never had any of these issues.

If the boots have to be 'too long' to fit your feet, then...they don't actually fit your feet (either pair, the 'right length' ones, or the 'can get it on my feet now'.  If there isn't enough depth to the boot, issuing someone ones that are longer doesn't 'fix' the fit issue, it simply creates a different one.

:facepalm:

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #278 on: April 26, 2016, 16:16:42 »
If the boots have to be 'too long' to fit your feet, then...they don't actually fit your feet (either pair, the 'right length' ones, or the 'can get it on my feet now'.  If there isn't enough depth to the boot, issuing someone ones that are longer doesn't 'fix' the fit issue, it simply creates a different one.

:facepalm:

Yep.  If the boots don't fit - they don't fit!
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline Tcm621

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #279 on: April 26, 2016, 19:30:30 »
Saw my first pair of these recently. They look like kids shoes. The white band around the sole is particularly bad.  Maybe I'm just getting old but what is wrong with black? These new one look horrible with CADPAT. Early reports of comfort aren't promising but I have no personal information on that.

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #280 on: April 27, 2016, 07:05:33 »
Unsatisfactory. How do they expect one to open one's wine without losing half of the contents of the bottle with the corkscrew in that location? Are we supposed to become contortionists now?

Haha!! Spoken like a TRUE air force officer!

Maybe we should commission a committee for some research initiative on the merits of moving said corkscrew to a more amicable area. Or change the way wine bottles are corked... we could all get together at the Marriott in Jamaica for a week of round-table discussion and break-out problem solving... should only take 12 days or so...

We will emerge victorious with a shiny, new redesigned... tac vest?
Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #281 on: April 27, 2016, 07:09:02 »
Maybe I'm just getting old but what is wrong with black?

Black doesn't conform to the AR (tan) combats we wear... one of the reasons we are supposed to be moving to a tan boot was to alleviate the need for another issued set to go overseas with - one boot all occasions (in theory)... Count your lucky stars we never rolled out that silly CADPAT boot!

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #282 on: April 27, 2016, 07:18:08 »
TRUE air force officer!

I am SO not that.

Do you think that they are the only ones who drink?

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #283 on: April 27, 2016, 07:23:39 »
I am SO not that.

Do you think that they are the only ones who drink?

The only ones who drink like girls! Hey Loach - tell me... have you ever been "iced"?

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #284 on: April 27, 2016, 08:16:26 »
Iced? Like a cake?

That's a bit of a personal question, methinks.

Offline Tcm621

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #285 on: April 27, 2016, 09:23:24 »
Black doesn't conform to the AR (tan) combats we wear... one of the reasons we are supposed to be moving to a tan boot was to alleviate the need for another issued set to go overseas with - one boot all occasions (in theory)... Count your lucky stars we never rolled out that silly CADPAT boot!
The AR combats are worn a fraction of the time. And aren't we getting brown and tan boots?

Regardless, it is probably just me getting old and wanting the "good" old days.

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #286 on: April 27, 2016, 10:34:25 »
Iced? Like a cake?

That's a bit of a personal question, methinks.

Lol!! Iced is when you are handed a Smirnov Ice. As an officer AND a gentleman, you HAVE to drink it. Iced.

Cake. Now THAT'S a true AF Officer thing!!

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #287 on: April 27, 2016, 10:36:35 »
The AR combats are worn a fraction of the time. And aren't we getting brown and tan boots?

Regardless, it is probably just me getting old and wanting the "good" old days.

Nope. No brown boots. Well, I guess they do look kinda brown.... but the premis remains. We don't have to get yet another type of boot JUST for operations. One man one boot!

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #288 on: April 27, 2016, 11:07:09 »
Lol!! Iced is when you are handed a Smirnov Ice. As an officer AND a gentleman, you HAVE to drink it. Iced.

I have no idea what a Smirnoff Ice is, but I do not care for diluted drinks.

And ******* stop ******* calling me ******* a** f**ce frig.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #289 on: April 27, 2016, 11:12:38 »

Cake. Now THAT'S a true AF Officer thing!!

As a Naval Officer, I take offence. Cake (i.e. "duff"), is most definitely a Navy thing.
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #290 on: April 27, 2016, 11:17:30 »
I have no idea what a Smirnoff Ice is, but I do not care for diluted drinks.

This is why "Icing" an officer is so much fun. I actually had the privilege of sending a bottle of the stuff to a certain Col VIA Griffon supply drop on an ex one time. The caveat is once you have been iced, you have to snap a selfie while downing the sludge - proof for all the other officers involved in the prank!

And ******* stop ******* calling me ******* a** f**ce frig.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and checks into a hotel on ex and complains about room service, it MUST be an Air Force officer!!

Loach you're fun to play with. We should have a Smirnoff sometime!!

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #291 on: April 27, 2016, 11:19:51 »
As a Naval Officer, I take offence. Cake (i.e. "duff"), is most definitely a Navy thing.

Yes it is. I think Loachman is in the closet about which element he actually is!

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #292 on: April 27, 2016, 11:22:23 »

Would that be where us Brown Jobs came up with the term "NO DUFF" due to having to lift some heavy duff eating member of the Senior Service up after they had fallen and could not get up?    >:D
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #293 on: April 27, 2016, 11:27:13 »
Binrat55:

Were I you, I would be very careful about pushing Loachman much further.

Might I remind you that nowadays, both Griffons and Chinooks are packing ... and he knows where you live! Just sayin'  ::)

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #294 on: April 27, 2016, 12:21:00 »

I just threw out a pair of Rocky S2Vs. I've had them since 2009 and worn them pretty much consistently, including over some really shitty terrain.

I haven't got the LOTB issued yet but speaking to soldiers that have they're having their boots rip and blow out after 2 weeks of garrison use.   
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #295 on: April 27, 2016, 12:27:29 »
Binrat55:

Were I you, I would be very careful about pushing Loachman much further.

Might I remind you that nowadays, both Griffons and Chinooks are packing ... and he knows where you live! Just sayin'  ::)

I would hope by now he knows my dry ARMY sense of humor. Not to dispair - I give ALL officers a hard time regardless of element (some are just easier than others..) That's what we crusty old WOs do!

Now about those Griffons and Chinooks... does he happen to have my old address? Where my ex lives? Curious...

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #296 on: April 27, 2016, 13:03:28 »
I don't, but I'd still meet you for drinks. Nothing diluted, and no selfies - I have a very low opinion of the self-important twits addicted to that ridiculosity.

Offline reveng

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #297 on: April 27, 2016, 13:16:07 »
I take it you didn't vote Liberal, eh Loachman?

...sorry, back to boots.

;D

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #298 on: April 27, 2016, 13:17:19 »
I don't, but I'd still meet you for drinks. Nothing diluted, and no selfies - I have a very low opinion of the self-important twits addicted to that ridiculosity.

So nothing like a long, steep bank over the Parliament buildings with duck lips out?

I'd definitely meet you for drinks. I'm a Jack guy. Just Jack. Hold the pouty self love in perpetuity.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #299 on: April 27, 2016, 13:23:41 »
Tequila.   8)

Back to boots ... because this thread (yet another boot thread) really could be merged with the "The Stuff the Army Issues is Useless" thread ...
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.