Author Topic: lots of racist in CF?  (Read 4771 times)

Offline Lerick

• Rate Post
lots of racist in CF?
« on: April 06, 2005, 09:48:39 »
im a black man born in canada...im just wondering if my background will cause any kind of issues...? 

Offline old medic

• Medical Forum Moderator
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: lots of racist in CF?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 09:53:16 »
No, it will not.
re-answering vision questions since 2004.

Offline PPCLI WO

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 09:56:26 »
What sort of issues are you concerned about?  Discrimination, being ostracized or just racist ***holes in general?

SigPigs

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 10:00:58 »
Who cares? As far as I have seen in 17 years..no-one I am glad to say.

Offline Armageddon

• Rate Post
  • Who wouldn't love BC
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 10:12:11 »
I haven't seen any racism in the CF

Offline Lerick

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 10:14:26 »
 racist in general....from other soldier!or if a soldier call me by the N word can i kick his ***...or wait to be outside the base!

Offline Gunnar

• Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.ealdormere.sca.org
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 10:23:12 »
Corporal Ainsworth Dyer, PPCLI was a black man born in Canada.   Until I saw pictures in the paper, I didn't know he was black.   The army, the press, and I didn't care.   He was army green, just like everyone else who does their job in the army, and he was one of ours.

I wouldn't expect you to see too many more racists in the CF than anywhere else in Canada.   Any stories I have heard about people in the army meeting racist types were mostly of the "you wouldn't believe this guy..." kinda stories.   On deployment, there may be a certain amount of cross-cultural friction that is normal for all human beings, but it's nothing you wouldn't be used to seeing anywhere else.

The beauty of Canada as a whole is that we are culturally insensitive in the best possible sense.   We don't really believe that anyone is different because of the colour of their skin, preferring instead to judge people on the content of their character.   
If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism --Thomas Sowell

Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for the West as it commits suicide.

Offline J-Swift

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 10:27:26 »
theres no racism in the CF as far as I'm concerned, but if you go in with the attitude "racist in general....from other soldier!or if a soldier call me by the N word can i kick his ***...or wait to be outside the base!"

that's just wrong attitude to have..period.
Ignorance is venemous, and it murders the soul, spreading like a virus running rampant, but out of control

Offline Cdn. Royal

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 11:06:09 »
Lerick,
 As someone before me stated there are probabally on average the same number of racists in the CF as in the general public. However, in my experience I have seen people be arrested and kicked out of the military for racism. They were reported and removed quite quickly. It is not accepted at all.
 And about anyone using the N word...If there are still people in this world stupid or ignorant enough to use it they should not be serving in our armed forces.
 A word of advice... You will meet lots of great people of many different races and religions be open to their experiences and concerns as well, racism is not a one way street.

Good luck.

Ben
" Have a Royal Day "... ...a quote from my friend Capt. Pro Patria.

Offline I, Citizen

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 16:42:22 »
You should have no problems whatsoever with racism. But, you should realize the difference between people making fun of a stereotype(rednecks, michael jackson etc) and people making fun of a person. The former happens beyond the ears of higher ranks with nearly every joke but the latter is very very rare. Best of luck and don't fight anyone regardless of what they say since you will be charged also and will probably get your *** kicked.
If I had something important to say, rest assured, it would be here.

Offline DSB

• DSB
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 16:50:24 »
As a visible minority i can say yes there are racist people in the CF.  I've had to deal with a couple myself.  These kinds of people are few and far between.  The CF as an organization does not tolerate this sort of stuff.  Most of your peers will not tolerate that sort of behaviour.  The few people who hold those kinds of ignorant views will not air them because they know they will just get burnt. 

Soldiers in the CF are far more accountable than Joe civi.

DSB

"An Army without leaders is like a foot without the big toe." Stripes

Soul can't GO!

Offline Nero

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 16:59:01 »
racist in general....from other soldier!or if a soldier call me by the N word can i kick his ***...or wait to be outside the base!

No one in the army is black. No one in the army is white. We're all green.

Offline DSB

• DSB
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 17:01:19 »
No one in the army is black. No one in the army is white. We're all green.

Very true
"An Army without leaders is like a foot without the big toe." Stripes

Soul can't GO!