Author Topic: US Rocket Plan scares Nfld's Williams and he's Fuming!  (Read 10323 times)

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
Re: US Rocket Plan scares Nfld's Williams and he's Fuming!
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2005, 22:59:31 »
Everybody knows the rockets wouldn't come down in the great lakes, they would revolve around them.  

Nonsense... the whole area is dense enough that the rockts would be sucked into the gravitational pull...

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2005, 23:12:53 »
Apparently the denseness is related to the disproportionate concentration of riches and other booty appropriated from the ROC.  I said "booty", not "....."  :D
Living the lean life.

Offline IT_Dude_Joeschmo

• Rate Post
  • Getting 1's and 0's to flow...
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2005, 08:10:27 »
Well holly (in the words of a fellow Eastern Canadian) mary mudder of geezuz!!!  :blotto:
I never knew you folks thought the Great Lakes and the golden horseshoe was so important! So the rest of Canada really does revolve around us! That's great, now I can go cause a ruckous and it'll be okay, because I'm from the great lakes and I'll be the next Prime Minister because of it!!!

;D

PS> Maybe a subject for a seperate thread, or maybe I simply don't know, but while we're on the topic of Prime Minister, does one have to have military service to go for the position? If not, do you folks think they -SHOULD- have to have done some service???
"When I retire, I want to become a gay Hollywood actor, they always make more money!"... My old boss's plans ;)

ACISS-IST's, look here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/239432422884449

PS> It's not a trap!

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2005, 12:04:41 »
Quote from island Rhyno,
Alright so arguing with two mods on this site would be silly, I'm not getting into a pissing match with either you Bruce or you Infanteer

Disagree and argue[or agree] all you want with the Mod's, we are just posters like everyone else when it comes to topics.
If I have to step in as a Mod, than I will state that and certainly just not for the reason that you disagree with me.
If only I was that right all the time..........
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline Island Ryhno

• Rate Post
  • "Tough times go away, Tough people do not"
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2005, 14:10:28 »
Fair enough, so here's a story from 590 Vocm News our local news radio

Still Looking for Answers
April 12, 2005

He's gone so far as to speak with the prime minister on it, but Premier Danny Williams is still looking for answers about the launch of an American Titan Four rocket which could rain debris on the oilfields off Newfoundland.  Williams met yesterday with a full contingent of industry representatives and is encouraged that they are also making contact with American officials to try and get some answers.  Williams reiterates evacuation of offshore production platforms will cause a significant financial impact and the question of lawsuits afterwards.A Conservative MP says the state of relations between the Canadian and U-S governments has a lot to do with the impasse on the rocket launch. Gordon O'Connor, the country's defense critic, suggests that if the Martin government held any sway with the U-S, it would be able to either have the flight path changed or the mission scrubbed

So is the real problem here then that Premiere Williams is making Martin and the Liberals look bad? Are the Americans using this as a sort of in your face to Canada? Do we really have no sway with the Americans at all, I mean how hard would it be to just change the damn trajectory. Also Joe you posted something about making us look silly to the Americans, well we've been standing our ground to the Americans for some time now on other issues (Star Wars, Iraq etc) Why should we back off on this one?
"A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living."
-John F. Kennedy (JFK)

Offline 48Highlander

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Applied Ballistics
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2005, 14:24:28 »
Hey, the Pentagon saved our buts in 2000.

http://www.net4tv.com/voice/Story.cfm?storyID=3198

Iridium is the world's first global satellite telephone mesh that went bankrupt, forcing the investors to plan a 14-month mass de-orbiting of 74 satellites, bringing them crashing through the atmosphere. The National Aeronautics and Space Administration puts the odds of a particular satellite hitting a human at 1 in 18,405. The odds for any of the spacecraft hitting a human is 1 in 250.

Now, if we weren't worried about that, why in the hell are we worrying about a one in a trillion possibility?  Hell, there's a better than one in a trillion chance that I'm going to win the lottery next friday, but I'm not about to quit my job and sit on my butt waiting for it.

Offline Island Ryhno

• Rate Post
  • "Tough times go away, Tough people do not"
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2005, 14:47:05 »
Ok so if it's the odds we are playing then people should know that Titan IV rockets are not exactly dependable.
http://www.flybynews.com/archives/ref/kg980820.htm
http://wired-vig.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,1537,00.html (last line, Titan IV odds)
Also, are the odds that Nasa has given in ideal conditions? What should happen if there is a storm over the north atlantic that day and winds are blowing at 100km/h, how would that affect the debris?
"A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living."
-John F. Kennedy (JFK)

Offline pronto

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2005, 15:04:14 »
ok, I know I was not going to post anymore, but if you will allow me - and yes - I AM a rocket scientist (astrophysicist actually).

1. It is not as easy as you think to change orbital mechanics calculations at the initial end. However it can be recalculated relatively quickly - certainly before the 17th. 2. Is it an expended stage, a fuel shell or an empty tank coming down? There is a vast difference - and I can't seem to find out which. 3. NASA spends less time worrying about what happens when you launch then when you get to orbit. THAT's where the junk is!!! Hell, we have supercomputers constantly calculating where all the junk, expended satellites, retired satellites, discarded and lost equipment, empty third stages, etc. is... You would be amazed at what is up there and how crowded the "best" orbits are - so changing orbits and launch patterns are intertwined.

Danny is a politician - sound bites and looking good for the voters is what they do. Sure he's being a little histrionic! That's what they do - cut him some slack - he's playing up for the home crowd.

The oil companies (if it is indeed them), are also overreacting. Abandoning a well in production because of a 1 in 1 trillon (or 10 trillion) chance is poor economics and bad risk management. A 10K Kilogram piece of metal falling from near earth orbit at terminal velocity WOULD make a cool splash, but would probably not cause as much damage at you think to the oil platform (this isn't a dinosaur killer!)

So - my prediction - a tempest in a teapot (or in the space industry - a fart in an airlock)

;D
questions on guns, recce or construction engineering - let me know...

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2005, 15:07:08 »
Well, there you have it folks - we have our own Rocket Scientist and he said don't worry.

Thanks for the info pronto.  :)
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline jmacleod

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2005, 09:04:23 »
Premier the Honorable Daniel Williams, PC, Ll.b (Oxon) Rhodes Scholar, barrister, businessman
is in my opinion the smartest Provincial Premier in Canada circa 2005. He is adept at playing
the media, and creating the old military tactic of "diversion". He needed focus away from some
of the issues annoying his government, like the crab fishery, so he got it. Cheers from MacLeod

Offline onewingwonder

• It's all gone pear-shaped!
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2005, 08:46:51 »
tomahawk6
The test is to be conducted on 17 April. Faer not for the US has done this type of thing before and we have never lost an oil rig yet !
True. On the other hand, you have lost plenty of rockets. :warstory:
If we refuse to learn from history, we are destined to repeat it.

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 12:05:11 by Infanteer »
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.