Author Topic: BMQ / BMOQ - Mail, Care Packages ect... [MERGED]  (Read 23229 times)

LMackenzie

BMQ / BMOQ - Mail, Care Packages ect... [MERGED]
« on: April 13, 2005, 07:13:03 »
Greetings All

My Son PT John M. started basic training, regular recruit infantry not officer,
this week in at St Jeans
(ok I am not up to speed on the lingo and the abbreviations yet... but I am learning ;-)

I am that sort of Mom that likes to send cool packages to put a smile on the boys face
but I am unsure what are nessesary items to send he cant already buy at the Cannex
Some say send food ... some say dont send food... things like that.
In reading posts here it sounds like he can buy all his basic toiletries there etc...
Can some of you suggest for me please,
what are things you would have loved to have while you were there
that you could not easilly get?   Useful utilitarian items mostly rather than 'treats'

No point in wasting money on things he cant have anyway or postage on things he can get himself
Its going to cost us enough already to get to the Graduation in June!!

He did not bring any civvies except for the ones on his back
Will he appreciate a set sent to him as a nice suprise, slide into his favourite jeans you know...possiblly after the first four weeks or so?

Thanking you all kindly in advance
Army Mom in Hamilton     :-*

« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 19:41:42 by Jungle »

Offline BulletMagnet

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm not just disobedient, I'm careful
Re: BMQ / BMOQ - Mail, Care Packages ect... [MERGED]
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 07:33:50 »
Army Mom

first let me say we need more mothers like you around, I know from personal experience that some mothers don't send packages to their son's or daughters while on tour or even on course, in fact many a guy in my platoon did get a care packahe from home the entire duration of Roto 0 in Afghanistan.

as for what to send, just about anything is a good idea, cookies were a big hit when I was at St Jean and a mother sent them for all the boys in our platoon, also magazines such as Maxim and Stuff are always good for a laugh, remembering that contact with the outside world is limited in the first 4 weeks. yeah your son will needsome civies because if his platoon are good little troopies they will get their first weekend leave pass to be able to hit the town and unwind. "other" magazines were always in high demand when I was at basic and on tour but some Monthers are not comfortable sending them and rightly so.
"Often have I regretted my speech, never my silence" Cpl Jordan Anderson 1981-2007 RIP

When the going gets tough I take a nap...It's easier that way

Offline Island Ryhno

• Rate Post
  • "Tough times go away, Tough people do not"
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 09:18:02 »
Hi Army Mom, it's great your son is in, it's going to be the time of his life! A couple of things about sending food to St.Jean, your boy will have to make a choice, either share it up with his group right then and there or keep it for the field (They are not allowed to have food on the floors, living quarters) So send enough for everyone, that way he doesn't feel singled out. I'm not saying to spend a fortune but candy or cookies go a long way. The Maxim, Stuff magazines are one of the hottest commodities in the military, and hey whatever he's into be it popular mechanics, whatever it will mean a lot. One other thing I would send is a handwritten letter, we've become so tech dependant that a hand written letter is harder to find than the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Just drop a line to tell him how proud you are of him, he will use it as a pick me up all through his courses!  ;D
"A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living."
-John F. Kennedy (JFK)

Offline MrRGoyer

• Rate Post
  • MrRGoyer
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 09:43:26 »
My mom is going to be the same way when I go on course I'll have to give her these suggestions thanks guys :salute:
We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people.
- Jul 2005
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

Offline brin11

• Rate Post
  • Gun Plumber
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 19:13:48 »
I have to concur with sending handwritten letters.   It doesn't really matter what you say in it, just that you sent it.   Just tell him what you've been doing, mundane stuff, etc.   When I was first on course fresh out of school my mom sent me so many letters some of the others on my course would do pushups for me (they used to make you do pushups for each letter you got).   In return I would let them read some of the letters since some of them didn't get a single one.  My mom even sent me a cake in the mail for my birthday!   It wasn't much to look at but it was the thought that counted.   I still have all the letters she sent me during those courses and I like to read them from time to time although they are SO boring now.     :)

Glad to hear he has such a great mom, good for you for caring so much.
The enemy's gate is down.

Offline civvy3840

• Rate Post
  • Grey and Simcoe Forester recruit
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 19:25:07 »
I wish my mom would do stuff like that for me. She already told me she isn't happy about me wanting to join so I'm not expecting anything.

Maybe we could work out a deal and you could send me stuff instead?? lol just kidding  ;D
"Strike hard, Strike fast"

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 19:28:23 »
Got a sense of humour

Fuzzy cuffs and a pair of huge panties...............

When I was in Saint Jean they would open the care packages infront of everyone

Oh man that would be wicked funny....

LMackenzie

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 23:37:09 »
Hi again Everyone

Thanks for all the replies and keep em coming
I am sure it will give others some good tips and help on what to send as well

Your child going off to join the army is a difficult time for parents I can see how some might not like the idea.   Just letting go of your 'baby' for the first time into the grown up world on their own can be a biggie especially for a Mom.  That world having guns and things that blow up well thats another dimension of worry.  But once its a go and 'for real' then its time to put your fears and worries over there and support their decision and them as the people you love.
Personally when he first wanted to join I did what I could to dissuade him and give him other options etc...  but John always wanted to be a police officer and was always a physical person and into Military stuff.  There are not a lot of options out there for you young'ins if you dont have connections, lots of cash or you are not the school/studying sort of person.  I know the Military is going to open lots of doors for John and give him a sense of pride and accomplishment I dont think he would get anywhere else.
Oh yes and a pay cheque to boot!  So its all good
It scares the **** out of me thinking of him in a harms way type situation... thats the worst part trying to shut my mind off thinking of something 'happening ' to him somewhere.   That and missing his smiling face and just having him around close by.
So I am sucking it up and dealing with it just like he is doing in St Jean right now!
If he can do it... so can I 

sub guy...I most definitely have a sense of humour and I have a few wicked things up my sleeve now that I know he likely opens them up in front of the rest...snicker snicker.

civvy3840... maybe let your parents read this thread and this Forum in general it may help them to  start to see things in another way?  I wish that we found it before my son left but its an absolute invaluable place for me now hes there.  You all are helping me so much thank you.
All of your kind words and positive thoughts mean a lot to me

Handwritten letters most definitely... I snuck one in his bag for him for when he got there...many more to come.  Lots of push ups in store for the boy  lol!

Heres a question....
How many people in his group approx?  Incase I send something for all of them?

well lights out for now here in Hamilton
will type again.... :-*

Offline BulletMagnet

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 09:44:07 »
The avg Platoon size I believe runs about 30 recruits might be a slightly lower or higher.

Also Army Mom you need to watch out what you do send as a gag, you see something will last with your son through out his military career, heck I have stupid stuff my wife(fiance at the time) did 6 yrs ago that still gets brought up around the guys I did my basic with when I get to see them of course.....and you see guys talk so it spreads to your Battalion and follows you where ever you go LOL. Don;t get me wrong I'm not telling you to not do it just to not do anything seriously embarrassing.
"Often have I regretted my speech, never my silence" Cpl Jordan Anderson 1981-2007 RIP

LMackenzie

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 10:28:48 »
Good Mornin'

(You mean he wouldn't appreciate the photos of him as a baby with bottoms up on the baby blanket  lol!!)

Thanks for the heads up HitorMiss..will definitely be discreet items, I was thinking more something that only he and I would understand the significance of.
And an absolute is an occasional disposable camera so he can have these memories to cherish and look back at this time of his life with his kids etc

bye for now
ArmyMom :-*

Offline Cpl Bloggins

• Reservist
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 10:36:49 »
On my basic my mom always sent me socks. (Junk food and the such too, or course,) but socks- not the issue kind, but like white cotton ones- always seemed to go missing. And a handwritten letter was always nice. It's such a great feeling when the instructor comes in holding a pile of letters and one of them is for you.
VVV

Offline Trinity

is updating his status. .

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 10:57:08 »
Pretty much its all been said

Send anything...  its a nice reminder the world exists outside the barracks.
Don't send food - he'll have plenty
Send some clothing - if he didn't bring any
Good reading material - for time off
Interesting things...  sure I can vouch for that..  fuzzy pink slippers or giant panties are awesome

Sure, it will follow him the rest of his career. But he can either get mad at other people or wear
it on his sleeve with pride.  I think he'll do the latter. And its a great boost not just for him but
for his buddies and instructors to see that.  Plus, troops bond around things like that, which is
part of the point of training.  Memories from basic haunt you for the rest of your life.

You'll be fine... sounds like you got your head on straight... and in no time he'll be posted
to Borden to the PAT platoon.... and you can see him more often.
Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car.

Offline Shadow Cat

• Rate Post
  • Just taking it one day at a time!
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 15:52:34 »
I am not a mom but the wife of one of the privates that started his training on April 12th. 

I have already sent a package to my husband with 12 pages of handwritten letters.  I guess that he is going to be doing a lot of push ups as well.  In fact I write him everynight as I miss him dearly and want to try to keep him as part of my everyday routine as possible.

I was struggling with what I should send him in addition to letters becuase he had called me and told me that they weren't allowed food on the floor so the clarification of just send lots of goodies makes me happy that I can send him it after all.  I have a few ideas of what else I can send him as well now thanks.

BTW his birthday is the weekend before graduation (june 12) so i may just have to send him a birthday cake in the maill.
That which doesn't kill us will only make us stronger.

Offline Jungle

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 16:45:31 »
The avg Platoon size I believe runs about 30 recruits might be a slightly lower or higher.
A RegF Recruit Platoon is 60 strong.
As for what to send, it's been pretty well covered. Food and drinks are not allowed in the quarters, so send something that can survive a few weeks in storage. Mixed nuts, like trail mix, is a good idea for the field. Magazines are always appreciated as are local newspapers.
Army Mom, what date did your son begin training ?
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."
- John G. Diefenbaker. July 1, 1960. From the Canadian Bill of Rights.

Offline BulletMagnet

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 19:13:21 »
60 strong Jungle wow I don't remember my course(9909B I think may have been 07) being that big, then again hey that was back in 99 before the recruiting push.....sorry to mislead you Army Mom I was outside my lane on that one.

LMackenzie

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005, 21:37:31 »
Greetings all

In reply to Jungle... his dates are are April 12 till June 16 

Package gone today (with a little help from my friends here at Army.ca)... 
FYI : I send via Express Post and they said it would get there tomorrow?
And its not that much more expensive than regular mail just a couple dollars. 
I was pleasantly surprised.

As for sending food think I will keep that one simple and he can buy his own there
They feed you fine from what I hear anyway
I think I will just send him the 'odd and unusual' and keep him guessing and surprised.

more questions please... I got a million of 'em  ;-)
-Is there processing time once the packages arrives at St Jean Base IE, will it take a day or so after it actually get there, to get to him?
-What time is mail call (hes in his first week) or does it differ from platoon to platoon?
-Does he have to earn his mail especially packages, or is that something thats given straight when it gets there

No prob HitorMiss...things are constantly changing I am sure

toodles for now
Army Mom :-*

Offline Island Ryhno

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2005, 08:20:37 »
Mail is usually given out at end of day summation, and as far as I know there is very little delay. However there are probably 1000 troops at the mega at an given time so there may be a delay.(Putting his platoon, section and course serial on it helps  8)) If they are in the field they will not get their packages until they get back (packages that arrive while they're in the field)  :)
"A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living."
-John F. Kennedy (JFK)

Offline Trinity

is updating his status. .

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2005, 13:52:46 »
They can't hold your mail..

Wouldn't that be a form of harassment?!?!  >:(

He'll get it
Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car.

Offline CTD

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2005, 10:37:29 »
I suggest instead of sending enough cookies or candy for 30 people, just send enough for a few troops. He directly works with about seven people in his section all the time. Although it would be great to be able to share with everyone, it really isn't particle. Plus it can get expensive if you do that. I will confirm a few things like a handwritten letter, a picture or two pictures of yourself and other family members. Maybe his favorite magazine.  Last but not least in your letter to him tell him how proud you are of him and what he is doing for his country. It sounds dorky but i can tell you it means a lot to guys when they see that in a letter. Especially after a few weeks of going thrue basic, it uplifts their spirt alittle.  good luck and as stated above i wish more Parents were as fabulous as you were. Take care and good luck to your son

Offline Jungle

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2005, 10:51:07 »
I suggest instead of sending enough cookies or candy for 30 people, just send enough for a few troops. He directly works with about seven people in his section all the time.
Again, a (RegF) BMQ Platoon is 60 strong, divided in 3 sections of 20 pers each. No matter what the quantity of goodies sent, it will likely end up being shared... that's the nature of the organisation !!  ;)
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."
- John G. Diefenbaker. July 1, 1960. From the Canadian Bill of Rights.

Offline Polish Possy

• Rate Post
  • Another one way conversation ....... YAY !
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2005, 11:14:57 »
you might also want to send some car magazine or something he is into. there should be at least some one that likes the same stuff as him which can be a great conversation starter.  Letters would also be great as other people said just say your proud and the rest of the family is too and you now are comfortable with him doing what he is doing with his life stuff like that and say that you want to hear all about it when he comes home , that way he can feel better not having to worry about what is going on and how disapprove which probably would make it harder for him

just be proud and say you can't wait to hear all about it.  :)
Pte.John Zdeb
Polish 2nd Corps
British 8th Army
11 pas Artillery
----Following in his steps----

LMackenzie

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2005, 11:54:25 »
Good day all

Great News...John Called home yesterday....yeehaww!!
That felt like such a long time waiting to exhale
I can finally breathe and get back at my life on this end!
Funny how a phone call can change everything.
I heard from him briefly to let me know he landed there safe etc but now
I finally have an update on the actual goings on and everything is A-OK.
For all you getting ready to or are or thinking of going
Heres good news for you... its fan freaking tastic he says!   
Hes loving it... its all he wanted and more!   Hes a strong boy its right up his alley.

They cant go to Canex or anywhere for a couple weeks so heres a heads up for
what to send for the first bit... or maybe bring with you...
swiffer cloths/lysol wipes/mr clean magic erasers/he asked for Windex
as the stuff they give them is crapola apparently?/foot powder-good insoles/
letters of any sort-photos/a phone card...love, great bit buckets o' love and support!!

What not to send ...
food of any sort they cant have it now... they are being fed just fine
no need for civie clothes for a few weeks yet.  
Your negative vibes or thoughts... best to keep them to yourself
They have enough to deal with they need you on their side.

His CO is Petty Officer M.   ( I hope I wrote that down right?)
Has any of you had the pleasure of being in his 'company' before?
There are 60 in his platoon. His group is apparently working very well together so far, push-pull
/ a couple have left for home tho that couldn't handle the authority or whatever.   
Lots of yelling going on, his voice on the phone is all harsh and raspy ...lol!
I suppose a few cut out each week as the going gets tougher?
They start physical training next week in the gym...which hes really looking forward to.

So alls good from my sons experiences, hard work and challenging and best of all rewarding.

Happy Sunday all   :-*
Proud and Happy Army Mom in Hamilton!!

Edited to remove name - PERSEC-
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 13:52:27 by Jungle »

LMN

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2005, 22:40:13 »
rofl...All I know is that whenever I got a letter on my QL3s, I had to do 50 pushups for it.  Mail call soon became death by pushups

Offline P-Free(Banned)

• Banned
  • Rate Post
  • I AM A RUBBER DUCK. QUACK
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2005, 22:50:23 »

They start physical training next week in the gym...which hes really looking forward to.

So no PT at all until week 2?

Offline Glorified Ape

• Rate Post
  • Managing expectations is the key to success.
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2005, 19:11:43 »
I never got mail, but then again my parents were paying the rent on my apt. to help me out so I can't complain. :D

Army Mom, you sound like a very sweet mother. I'm sure he appreciates all your efforts more than you know, especially at during the first few weeks which, as fun as they are, can be tough as it takes time to adapt and get used to the environment (especially for those who haven't been away from home before).

One guy on my IAP course (the first installment of basic for officer cadets) had a mom that sent him incredible amounts of stuff. Candy, blister pads, cleaning materials, and even a digital iron. If he smokes (and you don't mind doing it), you could send him smokes (if he needs them) as they're often in short supply and difficult to restock in the first 4 weeks. Also, if he doesn't have one, a decent flashlight w/ coloured lenses (small though - something that takes AA batteries is ideal) and some batteries is helpful beyond words when he's in the field (or even up past lights out :D ). If it comes with a headband, even better. The flashlights they issue you are absolute crap and, from my experience, the batteries are just as crappy and 50% of the time they're half-dead or dead. If your flashlight dies on you in the field you're SOL until the staff can find you another one. He can buy one at the Canex but they're overpriced and, judging from the experience of my fireteam partner, low quality.

Just a few ideas. Some slightly embarassing stuff in the mail never hurt anyone, and it gives the platoon staff and recruits something to laugh about. ;)

Question: What trade is John?

So no PT at all until week 2?

They don't PT you usually until you get your kit issued (I think), which for us took until week 2. They make you walk around in your civvies for a week, feeling like idiots, then issue you kit which you think is great until it comes time to clean it, arrange it, and sew labels onto it. Probably saves them the trouble of issuing kit to all the first week dropouts.

I hope to god I get a barracks box on BOTC but I think that's like hoping to win the lottery.
Bureaucracy is hell.

Offline Autumns

• Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2005, 11:00:32 »
Hi ArmyMom! I have been wondering about all that too. We dropped my husband off at Union train station in Toronto on Sunday April 10th. He is NCM Reg Force Infantry. I have heard from him 3x so far =) He said he wrote me a letter but since they aren't allowed to leave yet he can't get any stamps. So far I have mailed 2 letters. The second letter I put a phone card and a bunch of stamps. I'm sure he will be happy to be able to send his letters now. He is really enjoying it there. He said 2 or 3 guys left the first 2 days. Also another 2 guys didn't finish their assignment and now the whole platoon must write an essay on why it is important to hand things in on time.He said the food has been great as well. He is going to be 26 on May 24th and I was looking for some suggestions on what to send to him? He's not interested in cars or anything like that. Can anyone help me out here cause I have no clue what to buy him. I read the boards everyday and I really enjoy it. There is alot of good info here. =) :cdn:

Offline Island Ryhno

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2005, 11:06:12 »
Cool Sunglasses  8) That's one of my favorite gifts (oh and safe to keep said cool sunglasses in) I wouldn't send anything too valuable, things grow legs around there. Gifts are such individual things that it's hard to say, it's going to get warm there and he will have some time off, so some cool summer clothing (civilian) would be nice. Just a thought!
-John F. Kennedy (JFK)

Offline Autumns

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2005, 11:22:09 »
Thanks for the reply Island! Very good idea! I will get him a nice pair of sunglasses and a case or whatever to put them in. We have a 2 and a half year old daughter and if anyone here has young children what would be a good gift to buy from her? I will send a Birthday card from her and I'm looking for something that will make him really happy from our little one. I've never been great at the gift thing lol. So after 4 weeks they can wear shorts on weekends? That's also a good idea. =)

Offline BulletMagnet

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2005, 11:50:42 »
Best gift you could give would maybe be a Picture of your daughter with a little sign that says something Like I love you Daddy or Miss you daddy....

I was in Kabul over Christmas and the best gift I got was little 2 or 3 minute video messages from my little nieces and nephews and the rest of my family....damn near made me cry in the computer cubicle, actually had to turn them off for a sec to composse myself, it meant the absolute world to me.

Offline civvy3840

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2005, 16:09:34 »
Armywife maybe you could send him money if he didn't take any with him. Also a kind of irrelevant point but he has the same birthday as me!

Offline Autumns

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2005, 18:44:47 »
Well Happy Early Birthday to you civvy =) He brought 120.00 with him and the cab ride to the school was split between the 5 guys so that only cost him 20. He also received a pay advance of 220 that everyone gets so I think he's good for awhile as they can't leave the base until the 4th weekend. I clicked on the link on here for the army gear store and they have some pretty good stuff. I'm thinking of purchasing a few things from it. Hmmm... maybe I will develop one of the 20 rolls of film we have sitting here and send him some new pics =) Thanks for responding guys, I appreciate it.  ;D

Offline civvy3840

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2005, 18:54:32 »
So I guess he's set!

Offline Canadian Sig

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2005, 18:58:58 »
Army wife,  I have two sweet little girls and I can tell you that the best thing I got on course was anything that they made. It does'nt mater how it looks as long as I know they made it just for daddy.  (Keep that one in mind especialy on his first overseas tour). Good luck to you and yours.  :salute:
V.V.V.

The secret of war lies in the communications
   Napoleon Boneparte

Offline Polish Possy

• Rate Post
  • Another one way conversation ....... YAY !
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2005, 09:02:04 »
Army Wife another great thing you could do is get a extra large piece of paper and have your daughter do 2 hand prints one on each side of the paper and put the words " I love your this much " or  " This paper contains a hug"  that will make any fathers day or macaroni neckless or something along those lines. pictures are great and just words of support.
Pte.John Zdeb
Polish 2nd Corps
British 8th Army
11 pas Artillery
----Following in his steps----

Offline Osprey

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2014, 20:18:38 »
Hi Folks

The Canadian Forces marks that start of my first full-time job. Since I have been in school for the past two years  getting mail has been a very straight forward process for me. With this new career I need to switch my mailing address from school and need a new address to provide the various banks and phone carriers I will be using during BMQ and into my career. Since I have attended university in the United States I have to open a Canadian bank account and get a Canadian cell phone etc.  The problem is, I have no address to provide them because I do not have a place of residence in Canada of my own.

I am wondering three things:

1) Would it be frowned upon to put my address as St. Jean and have my bills and mail sent there. Then switching my address accordingly as I move across the country from training posts to my final posting?

2) What have others done in a similar situation as me? - I have thought of opening a post office box with Canada Post; but would like to avoid the fees they charge.

3) Would it be okay if mail was sent to St. Jean before my arrival?

Thanks

Osprey

Offline joecrack

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2014, 19:51:36 »
You can definatley send mail to bmq at St.  Jean. Just be prepared to do some pushups for whatever it is you receive. My staff charge 20 for letters and 40 for packages ;) have fun

Offline Ludoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2014, 21:00:06 »
What mail are you expecting to receive? Get a data plan for your phone, switch to electronic billing, and pay everything online.

After BMQ you will be posted to a base for PAT, where depends on your trade. If your wait is long enough you may end up at another base for OJT or tasked elsewhere to fill general duties tasking slots. At some point you will be sent to a different base for BMQ-L, NETP or an Air Force course depending on your element. Eventually you will start your trades training, perhaps at the base you were waiting in but even if that is true you will move to a different building and have a new CoC, thus another new address.

If you think through all those changes in address, important mail such as bills will arrive in a timely manner, or even at all, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Offline Osprey

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2014, 21:12:45 »
Thanks Ludoc and Joecrack, both of you provided helpful answers. I'll make a game plan accordingly.

Osprey

Offline CanadianPanzer

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2014, 08:19:59 »
Sorry for hijacking thread but how do you actually get paid at BMQ , I don't remember them asking me any bank account information.
Centre de recrutement: Montréal
Régulière/Reserve: Régulière
Officier/Membre du Rang: Membre du Rang
Choix 1: Blindé
Choix 2: Infanterie
Choix 3: Technicien de véhicule
Postuler: Novembre 2013
Premier Rendez-vous: 11 Décembre 2013
Test Medical: Février 2014
Entrevue: Février 2014
Offre d'emploi: 12 Juin Technicien de véhicule
Enrôlement le: 29 Juillet
Camp des Recrues (QMB): 2 Aout

Offline dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2014, 08:30:57 »
Sorry for hijacking thread but how do you actually get paid at BMQ , I don't remember them asking me any bank account information.

The CF does direct deposit into your bank account. If you have not given your bank account info bring along a void cheque or something with all your bank account info, eventually someone will ask for it.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.
- Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Offline Sophie87

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2016, 16:15:14 »
Just wondering if someone could clear this up for me, are there rules against receiving letters during basic? Nothing naughty, or anything inside them either, so no money or candy etc. Just regular letters.

Any info would be appreciated!

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2016, 16:47:32 »
Not at all.  Letters are allowed and much appreciated - as are boxes of homemade cookies...
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2016, 17:18:06 »
And always, always, always include several photographs that you would never in a million years expect to be shared with coursemates. Those, too, are always appreciated.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2016, 17:19:17 »
That's what SnapChat is for.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2016, 18:07:07 »
And always, always, always include several photographs that you would never in a million years expect to be shared with coursemates. Those, too, are always appreciated.

Yes, and send duplicates in case they get distributed or posted lost or damaged!
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2016, 10:16:12 »
The School Staff are always happy to keep those lovely letters flowing to the students to keep their morale up.      :facepalm:

Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline Dirt Digger

• Rate Post
  • Mercedes-Benz for our time
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2016, 10:58:33 »
My nephew just graduated from his recruit course.  A few of the candidates had photos of his girlfriend in the required-to-fill picture frame on their desks.   ;D

You'll find today that more people are accustomed to email, but nothing beats receiving a physical letter in the mail.  Packages may also be opened in the presence of course staff to ensure nothing is coming in that shouldn't be coming in.
Fighting the spread of Communism and Country Music since 1991...

Offline winterapple

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2017, 01:22:51 »
Hi there,
I want to send a care package to my partner who's currently in Montreal for basic training.
May I know if snacks are allowed or would they be confiscated?
Thanks so much in advanced!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Offline Moore

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2017, 02:55:43 »
The snacks would most likely be shared with the entire platoon right after receiving the package, as it is very team orientated. If this isn't the case, it will most likely be placed into civvie lockup until they're on their weekends. In my experience, I'd suggest just sending toonies or something for the vending machines as those can get pretty rare or you could risk putting a 20 in a machine and not getting anything back lol.
Recruiting Center: Peterborough
Regular/Reserves: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Combat Engineer
Trade Choice 2: Infantry
Trade Choice 3: Crewman
Application date: September 7th, 2014
Further Processing: September 9th, 2014
First contact: September 15th, 2014
CFAT: October 16th, 2014
Interview: November 20th, 2014
Medical: November 20th, 2014
Merit Listed: December 2nd, 2014
Position Offered: December 17th - Infantry
Swear In: February 5th 2015 @ 11:30
BMQ: February 9th 2015 - R0074E

Offline LunchMeat

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2017, 03:14:49 »
Hi there,
I want to send a care package to my partner who's currently in Montreal for basic training.
May I know if snacks are allowed or would they be confiscated?
Thanks so much in advanced!

They'll have to earn those snacks, usually through push ups and only then will they get them if there is enough for everyone.

Don't send anything with high sugar or fat content. The healthier the better.

Probably best to just send them a card, a letter, something a little more personal and will help their morale rather than their stomach... They're well taken care of out there. That's just my opinion though.
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2017, 08:25:40 »
For reference, perhaps,

Care package for partner in bmq 

will be merged with,

Care Package Superthread- Merged 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=35935.200
9 pages.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2017, 10:47:06 »
For reference, perhaps,

Care package for partner in bmq 

will be merged with,

Care Package Superthread- Merged 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=35935.200
9 pages.
For this one, I'm merging it with other BMQ care package posts only because the needs in BMQ are quite different to the needs of those overseas/deployed.

Milnet.ca Staff
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline winterapple

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2017, 13:48:54 »
They'll have to earn those snacks, usually through push ups and only then will they get them if there is enough for everyone.

Don't send anything with high sugar or fat content. The healthier the better.

Probably best to just send them a card, a letter, something a little more personal and will help their morale rather than their stomach... They're well taken care of out there. That's just my opinion though.
Thanks for the suggestion! Is it okay to send him pills like Tylenol/Advil?

Offline winterapple

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2017, 13:50:14 »
The snacks would most likely be shared with the entire platoon right after receiving the package, as it is very team orientated. If this isn't the case, it will most likely be placed into civvie lockup until they're on their weekends. In my experience, I'd suggest just sending toonies or something for the vending machines as those can get pretty rare or you could risk putting a 20 in a machine and not getting anything back lol.
Thanks for the suggestions! I didn't know there were vending machines available. Also, is it okay to send him pills like Tylenol/Advil?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 14:14:45 by mariomike »

Offline LunchMeat

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2017, 16:30:25 »
Thanks for the suggestions! I didn't know there were vending machines available. Also, is it okay to send him pills like Tylenol/Advil?

Shouldn't be an issue as long as they are sealed. If they're opened, they will be confiscated as Staff cannot determine the true substance.
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline winterapple

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2017, 17:07:03 »
Shouldn't be an issue as long as they are sealed. If they're opened, they will be confiscated as Staff cannot determine the true substance.
I'm sending the package soon. Thanks so much for the advice!