Author Topic: Mess Kits  (Read 155215 times)

Offline Sixrac

• Rate Post
Picture of air force cf dress and mess kit
« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2013, 13:12:00 »
Hi does anyone have an example of an air force CF and mess kit for the health care administrator branch ? I just switched from the artillery as an NCO and now i'm an HCA officer in the air force... (the transfer was faster if i switched to air force). I knew everything i needed to know on my uniforms by experience and I don't fully understand the A-DH-265-000. I need a real picture to help me understand. Thanks

Offline mikeninercharlie

• Rate Post
Re: Picture of air force cf dress and mess kit
« Reply #151 on: March 26, 2013, 13:29:49 »
Simple, HCAs assigned the uniform of the blue suited master race wear a gold coloured, winged caduceus above their name tag when in service dress...  While at fancy events, they wear uniform identical to the one pictured with a sanguine cummerbund, scuffed oxfords and a bad attitude as they realize that they could have had a classy red drinking jacket had they waited... Call the Adjutant/RSM of the nearest Fd Amb, they'll sort you out.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #152 on: March 26, 2013, 13:40:01 »
Where does the new RCAF mess kit stand on the way to becoming the new Air Force standard?

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #153 on: March 26, 2013, 13:47:48 »
The new pattern RCAF mess kit is about to be approved AFAIK, in short order (I heard it would be avail in May).  (pic attached of new and current pattern)

HCA would wear the Medical Branch accessories with it.  From the older copy of 265 I was able to get this (which isn't relevant  ^-^), I'd have to look at the current one to verify but:

Medical Branch. Surgeon cuffs. Sanguine
waistcoat for officers andCWOs; female waistcoat
with three buttons/buttonholes. Cherry trouser/skirt
stripe. No gloves.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 14:13:31 by Eye In The Sky »
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline mikeninercharlie

• Rate Post
« Reply #154 on: March 26, 2013, 13:54:22 »
The spec you have listed are for the army's medical branch, they are not applicable to the current air force mess dress. As for the pic of the new and improved mess dress, I'm not surprised to see that scuffed oxfords are still the standard in the RCAF!

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2013, 14:00:18 »
Modified my post. 

That is the pic that was used in the briefs.   :nod:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 14:07:53 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #156 on: March 27, 2013, 08:15:27 »
Or, to put it another way, is the RCAF adopting pre-unification RCAF style of stripes above the General's stripe to identify rank?

From what I can tell from the pic, the only major difference between the new RCAF mess kit and the pre-unification one is the shape of the lapels. 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #157 on: March 27, 2013, 10:19:36 »
The lack of epaulettes. 

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #158 on: March 27, 2013, 10:29:33 »
The lack of epaulettes.

The epaulettes are there; embroidered.  Lack of Shoulder Boards/Slippons makes for serious tailoring as one progresses through the ranks.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #159 on: March 27, 2013, 10:53:29 »
Embroidered epaulettes are in the picture of the current RCAF mess uniform.  The new/future uniform picture was embedded in the word doc.

Offline Jed

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #160 on: March 27, 2013, 11:12:48 »
So the gold stripe in the trousers is for Canadian Air Cavalry ala the US?  :)
As the old man used to say: " I used to be a coyote, but I'm alright nooooOOOOWWW!"

Offline Monsoon

• Rate Post
« Reply #161 on: March 27, 2013, 12:15:13 »
It is definitely the post-unification style stripes and not the pre-unification style.
Unless I'm mistaken, the gold stripe on the proposed RCAF mess dress pants is a new addition as well. Let me assure you it's a mixed blessing: that stripe adds a good $300-400 to the price of mess dress, at current gold prices.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2013, 12:25:29 »
The gold stripe was on the pre-unification mess kit, but not on the current one, and added back to the 'incoming' one.

A few pictures here, 2/3s of the way down.  Female mess kit circa '67 bottom right picture here.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 12:30:23 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline jpjohnsn

• Rate Post
« Reply #163 on: March 27, 2013, 12:26:56 »
Unless I'm mistaken, the gold stripe on the proposed RCAF mess dress pants is a new addition as well. Let me assure you it's a mixed blessing: that stripe adds a good $300-400 to the price of mess dress, at current gold prices.
Looking at the new mess dress and owning a pre-unification one (I rescued it from the dustbin when they were renovating a legion near me), there are very few differences between the two.  The new one has kept the shawl collar from the outgoing midnight blue mess dress (and because of that, wings and medals are worn on the breast and not the lapel as they were in the old RCAF) and the trousers are cut slightly different (no stirrups, for example).  The gold braid on the cuffs and trousers were features of the old mess dress as is the white waistcoat.

Looks like I'm gonna have to start putting some pennies nickles together to get one of these when the final word comes out.  Weird that the rumour is for May and not this weekend for the Air Force birthday.
"Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est sempre esse puerum" - "To be ignorant of what occured before you were born is to remain always a child" - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Jungle

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #164 on: March 27, 2013, 12:35:53 »
It is definitely the post-unification style stripes and not the pre-unification style.

I guess the General can spend $1000+ on clothes, but he can't afford a tin of shoe polish...  ;)
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."
- John G. Diefenbaker. July 1, 1960. From the Canadian Bill of Rights.

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• The Fly in Someone's Ointment - Giggity
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #165 on: March 27, 2013, 12:37:14 »
His bat boy should be fired I guess.  lol
Apparently infamous for his one liners.
Oh Giggity Well...........Giggity

Offline jpjohnsn

• Rate Post
« Reply #166 on: March 27, 2013, 13:15:12 »
Hopefully the pictures are viewable here.  Compare LGen Blondin's dress to the old RCAF version (the line drawing is from a copy of a 1958 version of the CAP-6 RCAF dress manual).  It's not a bad blending of the old RCAF mess dress and the CF midnight blue version.

The blue in this pic looks really dark but it is actually very close to Blondin's mess dress. 

and
"Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est sempre esse puerum" - "To be ignorant of what occured before you were born is to remain always a child" - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #167 on: March 28, 2013, 04:10:06 »

That's the first thing I thought as well, having both RCN and RCAF mess kit.  At least I could potentially re-use my RCN waistcoat (minus buttons.....or not?  Muahahahaha.)
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #168 on: March 28, 2013, 07:56:23 »
They should also learn to tie a real bow tie, instead of the $10.00 tuxedo rental one like the General is wearing.

After all, should you follow someone that can't master the art of tying a bow tie?  ;D
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Jungle

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #169 on: March 28, 2013, 08:17:37 »
After all, should you follow someone that can't master the art of tying a bow tie?  ;D

Yeah... unfortunately, bow ties and the colour of stripes on pants are more important then weapon handling for far too many people in the CAF.
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #170 on: March 28, 2013, 08:53:57 »
They should also learn to tie a real bow tie, instead of the $10.00 tuxedo rental one like the General is wearing.

What happened to the tradition of being called out (and buying rounds) for having a fake bow-tie?  I guess my old NAVRES Wardroom taught me well.

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #171 on: March 28, 2013, 09:28:59 »
Yeah... unfortunately, bow ties and the colour of stripes on pants are more important then weapon handling for far too many people in the CAF.

It's called personal pride, and it should be in EVERYTHING you do.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline Jungle

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #172 on: March 28, 2013, 11:30:11 »
Thanks for the lesson...  ::)

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #173 on: March 28, 2013, 12:53:33 »
Thanks for the lesson...  ::)

I can teach you how to tie one if you want.  I've known how to do it since I was 13.   ;D (poke poke)
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #174 on: March 28, 2013, 13:06:27 »
I can teach you how to tie one if you want.  I've known how to do it since I was 13.   ;D (poke poke)

All that time spent around Chippendales dancers?  ;)
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html