Author Topic: Mess Kits  (Read 157645 times)

Offline Jungle

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Picture of air force cf dress and mess kit
« Reply #175 on: March 28, 2013, 18:27:27 »
I can teach you how to tie one if you want.  I've known how to do it since I was 13.   ;D (poke poke)

No thanks... I don't even own a mess kit.
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."
- John G. Diefenbaker. July 1, 1960. From the Canadian Bill of Rights.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Rumour you say?  Let me direct you to the "new RCAF mess kit" CANFORGEN CANAIRGEN 15/13, esp the part about GO ranks  >:D

UNCLAS CANAIRGEN 15/13 C AIR FORCE 18/13   

SUBJ: RCAF MESS DRESS 

1. IT IS MY PLEASURE TO ANNOUNCE THE NEW RCAF MESS DRESS. THE CHANGE WAS INSPIRED BY THE INTENT TO BETTER CONNECT OUR MEMBERS WITH THEIR RICH HERITAGE AND STRENGTHEN THE IDENTITY OF THE MODERN RCAF

2. THE NEWLY DESIGNED MESS DRESS PRESERVES THE CURRENT MESS DRESS CUT AND PATTERN HOWEVER THE FOLLOWING MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN MADE TO THE FABRIC, BRAID, COLOR AND BUTTONS FOR BOTH MALE AND FEMALE DRESS   
(A) THE FABRIC IS 100 PERCENT WOOL BARATHEA   
(B) THE FABRIC COLOR IS AIR FORCE BLUE FOR JACKET, PANT AND SKIRT   
(C) THERE ARE TWO V SHAPE COLUMNS OF BUTTONS ON THE JACKET   
(D) FEMALES HAVE THE CHOICE OF LONG TRADITIONAL SKIRT OR PANT   
(E) THE FEMALE JACKET MATCHES THE MALE JACKET PATTERN   
(F) THE FULL SATIN BLUE SHAWL COLLAR WILL REMAIN UNCHANGED   
(G) A WHITE WAISTCOAT WILL BE WORN BY CWOS AND OFFICERS   
(H) THE RCAF TARTAN CUMMERBUND WILL BE WORN BY MWOS AND BELOW   
(I) A GOLD BRAID ON EACH SIDE OF PANT HAS BEEN ADDED FOR CWOS AND OFFICERS   
(J) THE BLUE BRAID ON EACH SIDE OF PANT WILL REMAIN FOR MWOS AND BELOW   
(K) GENERAL OFFICERS (GO) WILL NO LONGER WEAR SHOULDER BOARD AS RANK INSIGNIA. GOS WILL HAVE THEIR RANK DISPLAYED ON BOTH SLEEVES IN THE TRADITIONAL RCAF GOLD BRAID RANK INSIGNIA PATTERN   
(L) RANK INSIGNIA FOR NCMS WILL REMAIN UNCHANGED.

3. WHITE MESS DRESS JACKET PATTERN WILL REMAIN UNCHANGED HOWEVER THE BUTTON PLACEMENT WILL MATCH THE AIR FORCE BLUE JACKET. THE WEARING OF RANK SHOULDER BOARDS ON THE WHITE MESS DRESS JACKET WILL REMAIN UNCHANGED FOR ALL OFFICER RANKS   

4. THE RCAF MESS DRESS WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE IN SEP 13. IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED THAT THOSE WHO REQUIRE MESS DRESS WAIT UNTIL THAT DATE TO PURCHASE THEIR MESS DRESS   

5. THE NEW RCAF MESS DRESS IS AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR EFFECTIVE AS OF THE DTG OF THIS MESSAGE. MEMBERS WHO HAVE PURCHASED THE OLD MESS DRESS PRIOR TO THIS DATE MAY CONTINUE TO WEAR THIS MESS DRESS. NO MODIFICATIONS WILL BE MADE TO THE OLD MESS DRESS
"What a f$$kin' week!" - me, every Monday at about 1130hrs.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
I see some resemblance to the old CF Mess Kit, with the exception of the stripes on pants.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Biggest visible changes, IMO, are the gold stripes on the pants and white waistcoat for CWOs and above.  MWOs and below will wear the RCAF tartan cummerbund with blue stripe on pants. 

Offline Towards_the_gap

• 'Just tell your wife, that she owes your life, to a muddy old engineer'
  • Rate Post
I see they nipped countless hours of army hilarity in the bud by renaming the 'official' colour...

...urban legend tells us it was originally (ie RFC days), Crab Blue....

Offline Tank Troll

• Rate Post
Had me right up to the Cummerbun part, god I hate those things glad no one forces use in the Armour corps to wear them.............anymore ;D
I know the voices in my head are not real...............but Damn they have some good ideas

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Had me right up to the Cummerbun part, god I hate those things glad no one forces use in the Armour corps to wear them.............anymore ;D

What!  You don't like the "Crumb Catcher"?  Damn fine idea that.  After the dinner, if you have the munchies, you may find some in your cummerbund.  Who says the "good idea Faerie" didn't have some ideas come to fruition?   ;D
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #182 on: June 07, 2013, 11:54:35 »
I'm due for a new set (I think the material keeps shrinking!) and was holding back for this message.  Might be able to get a set done by the time I go back to work.  Wonder what the cost will be though now that we have to pay for the gold stripes.  At least I can save the gold braid from the rank of my current jacket.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #183 on: June 07, 2013, 11:58:58 »
I'm due for a new set (I think the material keeps shrinking!) and was holding back for this message.  Might be able to get a set done by the time I go back to work.  Wonder what the cost will be though now that we have to pay for the gold stripes.  At least I can save the gold braid from the rank of my current jacket.

The costs of Mess Kit hasn't changed much over the years.  "Have to pay for the gold stripes"?  Ummm?  You always had to pay for Mess Kit and its accoutrements out of your own pocket.   It is up to you if you want the expensive or the cheap fabrics, ranks, buttons & bows. 

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #184 on: June 07, 2013, 12:28:41 »
The costs of Mess Kit hasn't changed much over the years.  "Have to pay for the gold stripes"?  Ummm?  You always had to pay for Mess Kit and its accoutrements out of your own pocket.   It is up to you if you want the expensive or the cheap fabrics, ranks, buttons & bows.

The previous AF mess kit didn't have the gold stripe and the material was cheap cost-wise.  This 'new' mess kit is likely going to cost quite a bit more especially considering the cost of the gold braid and change of material.  With the previous mess kit one had the choice of having real gold braid or just yellow braid.  Pretty sure the stripes on the pants/skirts are going to be of the real variety and not the cheap yellow stuff that we have on our DEUs, hence the increased cost.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Offline Stonegeneral

• Rate Post
« Reply #185 on: June 07, 2013, 14:00:14 »
Given the similarities in design and material, my guess is that the new RCAF mess dress will be in the same price range as the RCN pattern.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #186 on: June 07, 2013, 16:16:49 »
Which is... ;)

Suspect the MWO and below pattern will be about..what $300? less without the gold stripe and no requirement for a fancy Capt Stubbing waistcoat?  :)

Offline Stonegeneral

• Rate Post
« Reply #187 on: June 07, 2013, 16:43:35 »
Which is... ;)

Suspect the MWO and below pattern will be about..what $300? less without the gold stripe and no requirement for a fancy Capt Stubbing waistcoat?  :)

Well, using Andrei Master Tailor's pricing as an example, NCMs (save for CWO) would be looking at about a $100 increase in cost due to the material used (so approx $875-900). Officers would be looking at about $1270 minimum for 2Lts.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #188 on: June 07, 2013, 16:46:28 »
Rgr.  Tks.  That was a  :facepalm: moment on my part to be honest;  I was on their site earlier to see if there was any info on the new one.  SMRT!

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #189 on: June 07, 2013, 17:42:59 »
Well, using Andrei Master Tailor's pricing as an example, NCMs (save for CWO) would be looking at about a $100 increase in cost due to the material used (so approx $875-900). Officers would be looking at about $1270 minimum for 2Lts.

Bought my mess kit including a white jacket for a little over $500, and that was with gold braid for the rank.  The $875-900 price seems a bit steep for the NCM mess kit.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Offline Stonegeneral

• Rate Post
« Reply #190 on: June 07, 2013, 17:58:23 »
Bought my mess kit including a white jacket for a little over $500, and that was with gold braid for the rank.  The $875-900 price seems a bit steep for the NCM mess kit.

It's quite possible it will turn out less in the end. I was running the math based on the pricing Andrei's has online for the Barathea naval mess kit (the closest example to the incoming RCAF version) and subtracting the cost of the vest.

Offline Tank Troll

• Rate Post
« Reply #191 on: June 09, 2013, 20:20:34 »
Got mine from Andre's in 08 when I was promoted to Sgt it was $1200 no boots or spurs
I know the voices in my head are not real...............but Damn they have some good ideas

Offline middle_coast

• Rate Post
« Reply #192 on: August 02, 2013, 13:47:55 »
Andrei's has pricing for the new RCAF mess kit now... Around $1350 plus tax for officers, vs $758 plus tax for the old one. Can't remember what the NCM version costs, but it's only a couple hundred bucks cheaper. The $1350 includes a $169 vest you need to buy, but I think all you need after that is to buy a shirt, whereas with the old one you needed a shirt and cummerbund. Still over a $500 difference though.

They will take orders for the old one up until sept 15... Just sayin'.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #193 on: August 26, 2013, 12:36:55 »
Got fitted today for the new mess kit (NCM).  Jacket and pants came to $1045.  I had a chance to look at one and they are very sharp looking and the material felt good.  However when I looked at the quote I have to admit I thought about going with the older style for a second or two.  I still had to get the rest of the EIS yet too so....but I went with the new one.  The one I looked at was for a Major;  jacket, pants and waistcoat alone was just over $1600.  I put mine on the CANEX plan, and added the shirt, suspenders, bowtie and cummerbund all to the bill.  Seems less painful that way; only leaves me with cufflinks,shirt studs and Wings to get from Joe Drouin.

I was also told that, at this time, they only have the material for the male one and not the female ???

Offline once a gunner

• Rate Post
« Reply #194 on: October 25, 2013, 19:47:14 »
I just ordered mine today...$1205 for the mess kit (SGT) + shirt, tie, suspenders and cummerbund....+ tax for a grand total of $1536  not to mention the $180 bucks in mini medals, and 100 bucks for buttons and wings....yikes  oh well I'II look sexy  :nod:....now to find somewhere to where this get up more than 4 times a year..... ;)
All Gave Some
Some Gave All

Ubique

Offline once a gunner

• Rate Post
« Reply #195 on: October 25, 2013, 19:49:15 »
what's most peoples opinion on the shirt??  wing tip collar or the normal shirt collar?  both are authorized? 
All Gave Some
Some Gave All

Ubique

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #196 on: October 26, 2013, 07:46:22 »
I went with the Wing collar/French cuffs.  Mine was about $1450 (jacket, pants, suspenders, shirt, bowtie, cummerbund) after taxes. 

I saw some nice patent leather oxfords (SWAT IRRC) at the Canex I might pick up to finish it off.

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
New Army Mess Kit Officer Rank
« Reply #197 on: December 09, 2013, 07:34:20 »
New rank is now authorized for mess kit, at your expense.  DO not have the ref but read it last Friday.
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline Technoviking

DANCE TO THE TECHNOVIKING.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • OBEY!
Re: New Army Mess Kit Officer Rank
« Reply #198 on: December 09, 2013, 08:26:34 »
I read it as well. Change from current to new rank is voluntary, until you get promoted.  Or demoted, I assume. 
So, there I was....

Offline shootemup604

• Rate Post
Re: New Army Mess Kit Officer Rank
« Reply #199 on: December 09, 2013, 15:15:32 »
Could someone post the fulltext of the CANARMYGEN?