Author Topic: Mess Kits  (Read 157636 times)

Offline Petamocto

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Thank god the Taliban doesn't use attack dogs.
Re: Mess kit questions
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2010, 09:24:55 »
Proper officers hand tie their bowties

I'm not sure if this was written tongue-in-cheek or not, but it was likely written at a time when "proper officers" bought their commissions, too.
"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway." - Roosevelt

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2010, 10:32:05 »
Yes, tongue was firmly in cheek when I wrote that.  However, the RCN Steward's Manual (still an excellent reference on naval mess etiquette) does make this same point by stating that officers do not wear ready-made bowties.  I will concede though that it is increasingly difficult to find proper bowties.  The one I bought at Eaton's 25 years ago is starting to get a little worn.  I have seen them on eBay though.

As for buying commissions, only the Army practiced that.  Commissions in the Navy have always been earned.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7245.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2010, 11:18:37 »
I'm not sure if this was written tongue-in-cheek or not, but it was likely written at a time when "proper officers" bought their commissions, too.

Makes perfect sense. Would you want to be led by someone that can't even tie a bowtie?

You can by one at most places you rent tuxes.

Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Petamocto

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2010, 12:21:07 »
Makes perfect sense. Would you want to be led by someone that can't even tie a bowtie?

While I can't speak for everyone, I think I would be more inspired by a leader who shared in the hardships, led from the front on IED'd roads, and trusted his subordinates than someone who rocked the casba at mess functions.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway." - Roosevelt

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7245.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2010, 13:58:00 »
While I can't speak for everyone, I think I would be more inspired by a leader who shared in the hardships, led from the front on IED'd roads, and trusted his subordinates than someone who rocked the casba at mess functions.

I would prefer a person who practices to perfection in all endeavors, not just a few.

However, I'm dropping this, as I refuse to get involved in your circular verbal attempts at shanghaiing people into conversation while you fulfil some Freudian need to suckle and bond.

HAGO :salute:
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Petamocto

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2010, 14:18:10 »
...while you fulfil some Freudian need to suckle and bond.

That's awesome.  Great maturity from a moderator.

I would expect that from a teenager, not someone in their 50s with a leadership position on this site.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2010, 15:28:16 »
.....with a leadership position on this site.
Moderators on this site are also free to express their opinons and frustrations.

When acting in a DS capacity, they tend to note that in their post.

Please don't mistake this as an invitation for a conversation from me either; you remain on <ignore>
Don't vote?  Don't complain.   www.elections.ca

Online GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2010, 15:29:40 »
 :rofl:
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline Petamocto

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2010, 19:28:47 »
Please don't mistake this as an invitation for a conversation from me either; you remain on <ignore>

Obviously, since you respond to just about every post I make, regardless of the topic, parroting whatever Recceguy says.

Do you have any opinions of your own on this (or any) matter?

Offline 1984

• Rate Post
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2010, 19:53:43 »
Do you have any opinions of your own on this (or any) matter?

::) I think what is bothering people is the fact that you have an opinion on everything.  Lately when I go to the home page you average about 2 or 3 of every new post, I have to admit this place is starting to smack of the "Petamocto Forums". 

To attempt to bring this thread back on track I'll throw my vote in for the real or pre-tied round the neck bowtie as either is less likely to fall into your soup after a few glasses of good cheer.

Offline LineJumper

• Swift, Alert and Stunning!
  • Rate Post
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2010, 13:05:39 »
I wore a real tie once, after having it pulled a few times to see if it was 'real' and punching out the final offender, I opted for the 'adjustable'. Fortunately I was a young Cpl at the time and the RSM said, "How can I charge him when most of my SNCO's aren't wearing it?" or words to that effect. I personally think being a Lineman helped ;D
I once tripped on a contour line and impregnated a rad op.

I don't climb for a living, it's how I get to work.

Offline 1984

• Rate Post
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2010, 17:13:58 »
I personally think being a Lineman helped ;D

Being a Lineman always helps  8)

I'm actually tossing around the idea of buying mess kit right now but remain undecided.  The expense is quite high for something you rarely use, but I hear the comfort factor alone is worth laying out the funds.

Offline LineJumper

• Swift, Alert and Stunning!
  • Rate Post
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2010, 19:57:49 »
It also prevents one from doing less stupid things, as one doesn't want to ruin such a fine red drinking suit. ;D
I once tripped on a contour line and impregnated a rad op.

I don't climb for a living, it's how I get to work.

Offline one_speed

• one__speed
  • Rate Post
  • Service Safety Rescue
    • CSPS Superior Zone
Purchasing CF Mess kit in Southern Ontario
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2011, 20:29:07 »
Good evening all,
Can anyone recommend a good tailor that does CF Mess kit (army) in southern Ontario.  (Toronto, Hamilton, Quelph areas).

I am travelling down next week and am looking to be measured.

Thanks for your help

Ian

The basis of all morality is duty,
a concept with the same relation to
the group that self interest has to the individual.

-R.A. Heinlein

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
Re: Purchasing CF Mess kit in Southern Ontario
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2011, 20:42:13 »
The Borden CANEX can arrange it - and you can pay on the credit plan if you don't have the 1K or so burning a hole in your pocket.  It's not that far from Toronto either.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline my72jeep

• It is the duty of all canadians to be prepared to defend thier country
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Purchasing CF Mess kit in Southern Ontario
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2011, 22:05:15 »
PM inbound
MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53

Offline chaplainLD

• Rate Post
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2011, 12:47:17 »
Is it permitted to wear a beret with mess kit under any circumstances!? Is there any precedent for this?

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2011, 12:53:31 »
Is it permitted to wear a beret with mess kit under any circumstances!? Is there any precedent for this?

Not that I'm aware of.  AFAIK, you do not wear any headress with mess kit.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2011, 12:59:56 »
Not that I'm aware of.  AFAIK, you do not wear any headress with mess kit.

The current practice is usually no headdress, but in the past Army Mess Kit did include a Wedgie/Wedge Cap.  Some of our more Senior members may even have one.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline N. McKay

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2011, 13:11:13 »

The dress regs provide:

"8.          Outerwear. The following outerwear may be worn or carried with mess dress as appropriate:
a.   headdress (worn outdoors);"

(Page 6B-2)

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2011, 15:10:09 »
I'm not sure how the myth that one doesn't wear headdress with mess kit got started, but it is indeed a myth.  I suppose it might have something to do with the fact that we don't normally wear headdress indoors (unless you're teaching a class in the Army) and mess kit isn't really worn for outdoor events.  Nevertheless, mess kit is a uniform and uniforms include headdress.  In fact, the last time I read the instructions on how to get new mess kits approved, they specifically stated that proposals shall include proposed headdress.  When I go to mess dinners, I tend to bring headdress as I will often take public transit home (rather than drive).
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Privateer

Looking for the bubble.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2011, 15:16:22 »
I have seen a Navy officer wear, with Mess Kit, headdress that was either old RCN pattern, or current RN pattern:  wider and flatter that current CF (Navy DEU) pattern.  I assume that this is actually not permitted...?  I don't believe that he was old enough to have actually served pre-unification.

Offline lethalLemon

• Rate Post
  • UP THE DUKES!
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2011, 15:16:54 »
I'm not sure how the myth that one doesn't wear headdress with mess kit got started, but it is indeed a myth.  I suppose it might have something to do with the fact that we don't normally wear headdress indoors (unless you're teaching a class in the Army) and mess kit isn't really worn for outdoor events.  Nevertheless, mess kit is a uniform and uniforms include headdress.  In fact, the last time I read the instructions on how to get new mess kits approved, they specifically stated that proposals shall include proposed headdress.  When I go to mess dinners, I tend to bring headdress as I will often take public transit home (rather than drive).

It's only when the dining commences that it must be removed, correct?
Pain is temporary. Pride is eternal.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2011, 15:23:43 »
It's only when the dining commences that it must be removed, correct?

Or when a RSM sees you in a mess with headdress on. You'll commence removing the headdress after a one way discussion about it.  ;D

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2011, 15:41:00 »
Just looked in CFP 265. The various graphics with the orders of dress clearly show no headress with mess kit, however, Regimental, Branch, Corps or Element custom would be the norm, IMO.

I have never worn headdress with mess kit.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".