Author Topic: After IAP???  (Read 1766 times)

Offline jwsteele

• Rate Post
After IAP???
« on: June 22, 2005, 17:25:01 »
I finish IAP at the end of the summer.   Few questions...do you return your uniform and kit etc cause I don't want to haul all that stuff around when I head off to Civi U?  Also, what is the routine for departing St.Jean?   Does it end in the day/evening?  Are there any special functions I am required to participate in after graduation...someone said something about a big dinner?  Are you just allowed to leave once all the paperwork is finished?  I ask because I will have friends picking me up that live in Montreal.  I would like to give them some heads up on what to expect.

Offline I_Drive_Planes

• Rate Post
Re: After IAP???
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 15:30:45 »
BUMP

I too would like an answer to this question, perhaps a move to the Recruiting - Basic Training forum may help

Planes
Fear of death will not prevent dying, but it may prevent livng

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 22:03:38 »
do you return your uniform and kit etc cause I don't want to haul all that stuff around when I head off to Civi U?

You guys crack me up!   Sure you return it and then you have it reissued to you every summer. ;D

No you don't return your uniforms as they are yours until the day you depart the CF.  Think barrack boxes in your parents' basement.

The graduation parade is usually on the last day in the afternoon.   Don't know about the mess dinner in St Jean but we did have one the night before grad in Chilliwack.

You should have no problem running off with your friends after the parade and once all administration is done.
- Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.
- Just when you realize life's a *****, it has puppies.

Offline Glorified Ape

• Rate Post
  • Managing expectations is the key to success.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 02:03:59 »
You're going Combat Arms so yes, you'll keep 90% of your kit. You can have it CMTT'd to wherever you're going to school. If you were Navy or Air Force, you'd return 90% of your kit. You won't have a parade - you get your parade on BOTC. IAP gets a little ceremony, but nothing big. Mine was in the chapel and consisted of a few awards, a guest speaker (great speaker - PPCLI guy who was at Medak Pocket), and a semi-threatening speech from the school CO. There's usually a course party in the last week but it's nothing huge - usually a drunken gong show in the drinking mess with food.

The last day is usually just out-clearances, final room inspections, etc. You should ask your platoon staff when you can leave - they'd probably know better than anyone here.
Bureaucracy is hell.

Offline >>Paladin<<

• Rate Post
  • "In Pace Paratus"
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 08:21:48 »
IAP gets a little ceremony, but nothing big. Mine was in the chapel and consisted of a few awards, a guest speaker (great speaker - PPCLI guy who was at Medak Pocket), and a semi-threatening speech from the school CO.

REALLY? Mine consisted of a few quick words from my WO: "GTFO of my office before you stop seeing the light of day! Oh and...good f**ing job on Grizzly...I'll see YOU in the field." Yup that's pretty much all I remember about my ceremony from IAP.
"I chose nothing...I was born and this is what I am."---Achilles---