Author Topic: The "Posted To Winnipeg" Merged Thread  (Read 65180 times)

Offline Suebu

• Rate Post
Re: Posting to Winnipeg
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2006, 00:06:05 »
Hi,

I was born and raised in Winnipeg and have been involved with the military lifestyle in the Peg, Moose Jaw and now Edmonton.

Are you going to the Barricks or into a PMQ?

If it is the Barricks (North side), I don't know how they look now but in the early 90's, they were similar to the ones in Calgary.

As for the cost, everything cost the same but of course you have to add the other tax (yeck) :P

Bit of advice, Winnipeggers are very friendly but you have to make the first connection, then all the friends of that contact, become your friend.

I loved living in the Peg, there is so much to do and they say that Winnipeg Beach has the most beautiful people in the world on it

If you have any more question, give a shout and I will see what I can do for you'

Cheers  ;D

Offline HADES 1962

• Rate Post
  • I have a Cunning Plan
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2006, 00:25:25 »
Good Day,
Have been here now for a year, still not too fond of the place.
personal income tax is higher than Ontario so I lost over 200.00 per month take home.
My auto insurance went up by over 300.00 per year
Drivers licences are 50.00 for one year.
Winters are winters  this past was good, actually mild. Found the winters in eastern Ontario and Montreal colder but then the humidity didn't help in that department.
Most side streets turn into one way lanes as people do not park in the back alley ways, in winter that can make for some hair raising driving.
On a driving note signal lights are a option, and the right hand lane IS a parking lane. found that out while one of the first days driving here though the car ahead was going rather slow , then realized hey  :o, its bloody parked.
The panhandlers can at time be aggressive, but a firm no and they tend to back off.
Aside from that any questions you may have fire away.

Once a Gunner, always a Gunner

Offline Sigs Guy

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2006, 19:15:42 »
I'm looking at going into SQ, I was hoping to do some post secondary during my contract while in Winnipeg as well.

What are the Single Quarter's like on base?

As well, what is the atmosphere on base like?

I was sure as hell surprised when I saw my posting message thinking that I was for sure going to Pet, and then seeing Winnipeg!!!

PS: Didn't really want to go to Pet
"I submit to you that if a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. "
"Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?' "

Martin Luther King Jr

Offline momof2

• Rate Post
Posted to Winnipeg
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2010, 22:04:52 »
My family and I are posted to Winnipeg this summer.. Was wondering if there is some great spots to buy a house and spots to stay away from? We are in Kingston now and LOVE it here. I have two kids age 12 and 9 and would like to buy somewhere close to schools or close to a bus stop. Any bit of help would be great.. Thanks
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 22:30:00 by momof2 »

Offline just me...

• Rate Post
  • Soldier First
Re: Posted to Winnipeg
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010, 22:07:01 »
stay away from the north end of Winnipeg, period.  Its a war zone up there.

Offline momof2

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2010, 22:08:15 »
Also we are going to be posted there for 2-3 years and would also be great to buy in a spot where the resale will be good.. :cdn:

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2010, 22:13:20 »
My family and I are posted to Winnipeg this summer.. Was wondering if there is some great spots to buy a house and spots to stay away from? We are in Kingston now and LOVE it here. I have to kids age 12 and 9 and would like to buy somewhere close to schools or close to a bus stop. Any bit of help would be great.. Thanks

There are lots of great areas that are close to both schools, bus routes and the base in the west end of the city on either side of the river.  Depending on how long of a commute you are comfortable with there are some nice although very cookie cutterish sub divisions towards the southern end of the city.

Prices in Winnipeg are still pretty reasonable when compared to other major cities, and the market here has been on the upswing for quite a few years.   If you need any specific info or what not feel free to drop me a PM.  I grew up in Winnipeg, and am currently posted here so I am very familar with most of the areas.
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2010, 22:38:16 »
stay away from the north end of Winnipeg, period.  Its a war zone up there.

The "north end" encompasses a lot of territory. To be specific, stay away from Main street between Portage and Inkster. I live in north Winnipeg, and have a very good neighborhood. The commute to the base from my part of town runs about 20 to 30 minutes depending on the weather.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline momof2

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2010, 22:50:43 »
Thanks guys!!!  Is there one HOT spot where military families buy??

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2010, 23:00:41 »
I know allot of families buy in the St James area as it is close to the base, but on the other hand,  I know people that live in the far south and east of the city as they liked those areas more.  Honestly I would base your house location/choice on what you want and see when you come on your HHT.     
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline Greymatters

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 17:36:21 »
There are a lot of nice bedroom communities outside the ring road around the city, but a lot depends on how far you want to drive and how often you shop.  I lived 35 km northwest of the city and had an easy drive every day, but had to drive to the city each weekend for groceries and big purchases.   

Living at the south end of the city, lots of nice areas, most areas have good shopping nearby, but key traffic choke points are the bridges crossing into the northern part of the city - its usually faster to drive to the base using the ring road.

Elsewhere inside the city ring road, lots of nice areas, but you should avoid any house in the northeast area and along the red river - they're cheap for a reason.  High crime in the summer, flooding in the spring and fall, and frozen pipes in the winter...

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2010, 17:59:12 »
The east and west inside the perimeter, and the center are all older neighborhoods. That being said, there's still some nice homes in both Charleswood and St James. If you want newer, the north and south near the perimeter are good. If you want newer still, then Headingly is probably a worth a look. If you want to build, then there are a number of spots just outside the perimeter.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline momof2

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2010, 09:31:03 »
Thank you all for your replies=) We are now here in Winnipeg on our HHT.. Today will be day 2 that we will be heading out looking.. I must say I wasn't sure about moving here, as I am a Cape Breton and being posted from Ontario but I have to say I really like and I think it will be a good 2 years here.. We have been looking more out around the Royal woods , South Point, Sage Creek and Bridge Water Forest.. If you know anyone that lives around those areas I would love some feedback.. Again Thank you all=)

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2010, 09:35:11 »
Thank you all for your replies=) We are now here in Winnipeg on our HHT.. Today will be day 2 that we will be heading out looking.. I must say I wasn't sure about moving here, as I am a Cape Breton and being posted from Ontario but I have to say I really like and I think it will be a good 2 years here.. We have been looking more out around the Royal woods , South Point, Sage Creek and Bridge Water Forest.. If you know anyone that lives around those areas I would love some feedback.. Again Thank you all=)
St James area is nice, and do stay away from the North End
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline just me...

• Rate Post
  • Soldier First
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2010, 12:26:43 »
St James area is nice, and do stay away from the North End

:nod:....the SM knows!!!........... ;)

I live south of the city and really enjoy living in the small town atmosphere.  That being said, its about a 40 minute commute and can really blow chunks in the winter. ...oh and the spring flooding!

Not so bad this year, but last year, most the main roads were closed and we lost the bridge into St Adolphe!

Offline momof2

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2010, 12:57:05 »
Again thank you all very much for your help. We ended up going new and bought out in the Sage Creek area..

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2010, 13:22:58 »
Just south of the Mint...Everything is reasonably close too....Welcome to Winnipeg.

ps:.....you do realize that east and south of there is the breeding grounds for the provincial bird, don't you....?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 13:26:53 by GAP »
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline momof2

• Rate Post
Winnipeg, beaches
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2010, 21:25:08 »
Hi there, I just moved here to Winnipeg about 2 weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone here from Winnipeg or have lived here know where there are some good beaches?? Thanks in advance..

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
Re: Winnipeg, beaches
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2010, 21:34:44 »
Might have to drive a ways - Gimli/Winnipeg Beach area isn't too bad, about an hour's drive away.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline desert_rat

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2010, 21:48:36 »
yeah, and Grand Beach is up that way too...once voted one of the top 10 beaches by none other than Playboy magazine :cheers:

http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/parks/popular_parks/central/grand.html

http://www.eastern-beaches.mb.ca/the-beaches/grand-beach.html

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2010, 21:53:42 »
Grand Beach Provincial Park is there as well.  (I've never been there, I just know its there)
"...Pilot, Radar...turn right, heading...3-6-5..."

Offline exgunnertdo

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2010, 22:11:47 »
Bird's Hill Park, just north, closer than Grand Beach or Winnipeg Beach. Just outside the city.

Falcon Lake, West Hawk Lake - east on the Trans Canada, an hour and a half maybe?

"Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . ."
"God fights on the side with the best artillery"
- Napoleon

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2010, 23:29:53 »
Bird's Hill Park, just north, closer than Grand Beach or Winnipeg Beach. Just outside the city.

Falcon Lake, West Hawk Lake - east on the Trans Canada, an hour and a half maybe?

Bird's Hill Park has a small artificial lake that is quite popular. Grand Beach is the other popular beach north of Winnipeg. Both places also have lots of hiking trials in you enjoy the outdoors. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some smaller beaches in the Grand Beach area... ask the locals they mights have some information.
Years ago, fairy tales all began with, "Once upon a time." Now we know they all began with, "If I'm elected."

Carolyn Warner

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2010, 09:18:29 »

Grand and Victoria are the main large beaches around Winnipeg, but there are tons of beaches along the Winnipeg river system they are just smaller and usually are used by people out there camping or cottaging it up.

Stonewall quarry beach is very close to the city and is a nice option on hot days wheer you don't want to put up with the longer drive to Grand beach. 

http://www.stonewall.ca/residents/quarry2.asp?ID=2

Hope is not a valid COA

Offline Pegcity

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2010, 19:29:44 »
We have a cottage at Lester Beach, its between Grand and Victoria, its not as packed as Grand beach
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato