Author Topic: The "Posted To Winnipeg" Merged Thread  (Read 64641 times)

Offline Scoobs

• Rate Post
Possible Posting to Winnipeg - opinions on where to live
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2011, 12:16:31 »
I don't know yet for sure, but I may be posted to Winnipeg this coming APS.  I have looked on mls.ca to see where I could possibly live, but does anybody have opinions on where to live?  I don't want to get into bidding wars, so I am very open to living outside of the perimeter highways.  I have looked extensively at the town called Niverville, MB.  It would be a big drive to Air Div HQ, but at least I would get way more bang for my buck and hopefully not get into a bidding war.  With only 5 days for a house hunting trip, a bidding war is highly undesired.  I think that Niverville is far enough away from the Red River for flooding and they recently built a permanent dike west of the town.

Questions I would like opinions on:
1. Where do you recommend buying?
2. If south of Winnipeg, is flood insurance mandatory and is it affordable?
3. Any areas to completely avoid.

Thanks in advance.
Variety is the spice of life...

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: Possible Posting to Winnipeg - opinions on where to live
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2011, 12:38:40 »
Just curious as to why you would buy so far to the SE of Winnipeg, rather than closer to the NW where the Base is? 

I think that Niverville is in the flood plain, but not being a resident of Manitoba, that is only a guess.  I would have to look at the data we have on the last flood to be positive.

http://gsc.nrcan.gc.ca/floods/redriver/geological_e.php

http://www.redriverbasincommission.org/Conference/25th_Proceedings/Topping-MB_progress.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niverville,_Manitoba

http://www.apfm.info/pdf/case_studies/syn_canada.pdf

DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2011, 12:46:30 »
I was going to be counter-productive and suggest buying in somewhere like Saskatchewan, but won't.  I'm sure Jim Seggie will come along shortly and give you a hand, since that's his stomping grounds.  My parents lived in St Boniface for awhile, nice area but close to the rivers.  Parents live out in near Winnipeg Beach out in the sticks now.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2011, 13:15:24 »
Consider places outside the perimeter highway - taxes much less.  The community of Stonewall is apparently a nice place to live - easy to commute.

The new builds are all to the south of the city - down by the new COSTCO and associative box stores.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2011, 13:47:55 »
There was a good thread about last Sept-Nov about Winnipeg Housing....., but I can't find it....I think it was in the home front forum.....
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2011, 13:49:59 »
  The community of Stonewall is apparently a nice place to live - easy to commute.

Stonewall was a nice area last time I went through there a couple years back...forgotten about there.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Task

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2011, 14:05:04 »
You may be out of luck trying to avoid the bidding wars here.
We bought in the old PMQs area after failed bidding on 20 homes  :crybaby:. At one point we gave up and said fine we will over bid by $20k, and we still got over bid. We finally lucked out (sort of) and got the house we are in but under the condition of NO home inspection. It's a tough and infuriating situation. While the homes are still PMQ's they are in better condition than the rented ones and you can not get closer to work. The south of the City is where the higher value homes generally are with the biggest expansion occurring in the SW at Kanestin Commons (may have spelled that wrong). If you do not mind the commute Transcona (NE) has the best value for your dollar ie bigger homes for better prices.

Many homes here are sold on comfree.com and are not on the MLS. This would be your best bet to find a non-bidding home but that is still rare.

Stay away from downtown and main street... Highest crime area.

Another note:
A word to the wise, if you have kids, start looking for daycare options. When we got posted here it took us 6 months to find childcare. Do not rely on MFRC here, they are less than adequate and after 2.5 years we are still in the 100's on the waiting list and they do not accept children under 2 years. Make sure you check ratings on the daycare, some are very poor and terrible ratings.

I am posted out this year, but I am not sure yet if my wife is, so I can't sell you mine ;)

Good luck.

Online NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2011, 15:37:25 »
Buy on high ground if you can....
Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2011, 17:20:52 »
Stonewall is the same price and tax range as Winnipeg. The Charleswood area is nice as is the area I live in.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2011, 17:28:59 »
Lived in Charleswood twice. Very good area. Good access to the Base with the new bridge.

Note: it is the highest area in the city.

Get prepared for the most uncoordinated traffic signals city in the World.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2011, 17:36:17 »
Lived in Charleswood twice. Very good area. Good access to the Base with the new bridge.

Note: it is the highest area in the city.

Get prepared for the most uncoordinated traffic signals city in the World.

Agreed. Traffic signals are not well sync'd
I think the area near Sask Ave and Hamilton is higher though
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2011, 17:44:58 »
I would stay well North of the Floodway and forget Niverville- anytime there is a risk of flooding, the Red River Valley South of Winnipeg gets thrown under the bus.

Have you looked at Sliver Heights, just South of the Airport?

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2011, 17:46:27 »
I do not have a military map, but checked one prior to the Flood of the "Century". the South-West corner of Charleswood and the airport were the highest. Plus there was a pumping station a mile away on Wilkes.

Have you looked at Sliver Heights, just South of the Airport?
But lots of aircraft noise in some parts.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 17:49:23 by Rifleman62 »
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline MAJONES

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2011, 23:04:48 »
I bought outside the Perimeter Highway to the North East.  It was the best deal in terms of house size/quality/price.  Also the property taxes outside the Perimeter are a great deal less than in the city.  It can be a bit of a drive into work, but what you pay in gas you save in mortage/property taxes.
I'd suggest that you contact John Inglis.  He is a Remax agent in YWG, a lot of the guys at work had him as their agent and they were all very happy. 

Offline just me...

• Rate Post
  • Soldier First
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2011, 11:11:19 »
I live in Niverville and only once since i've been here has the outer ring dike been closed.  Even then it was on the west side of the town, making the commute into the city a little longer.  The commute itself is about 40 minutes and for myself, the drive home is my wind down.  There's not much to see as everything is really flat but it is an enjoyable ride.  It may be a little longer in the winter but in the 4 that i've had to endure here, the only issue I had was smoking a deer at oh dark stupid going home from work.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2011, 19:12:13 »
Most of the flooding in Winnipeg is nearest the river (duh). I live up by the 7 Oaks Hospital and it takes me 25 minutes to get to the base. In the time I've been here, there's been no flooding. I echo the recommendations for East or West St Paul, Heddingly, and St Francis Xavier. All good communities close to the city with little flood risk.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2011, 19:51:56 »
Most of the flooding in Winnipeg is nearest the river (duh). I live up by the 7 Oaks Hospital and it takes me 25 minutes to get to the base. In the time I've been here, there's been no flooding. I echo the recommendations for East or West St Paul, Heddingly, and St Francis Xavier. All good communities close to the city with little flood risk.

Even on the river in the city there are very few properties that would be at risk from flooding.  I bought on Kingston Row which is right on the river (although my house was on the south side) and during the flood of 2009 water threatened several properties but none were flooded.  Even in 1997 none of the houses on the river were flooded although they did have an extensive sandbag dike system for protection.  The floodway really protects the city well and that has been expanded to provide even more protection so flooding while a threat is a moot point.  Especially as there are not that many properties that would be available for someone to purchase as people tend to hang on to them or they are priced quite high. 

Headingly, I've found is absurdly expensive and their taxes are not much better than Winnipeg.

Niverville is a nice town although a bit of drive.  They have an awesome wine and cheese festival :)

I prefer the East/West St Paul areas, lots of good prices if you expand your search and it is quick to the base or to the great camping and fishing that is in the interlake!
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline Scoobs

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2011, 20:01:19 »
Thanks everyone for the great advice.  I have written down all the locations mentioned and I will be checking them out via mls.ca and google maps.  That streetview is quite awesome as it is almost like you are standing on the street!

One more question, if I bought in a place like Niverville or equivalently far away place from Winnipeg, would I have a hard time selling it when time came for me to be posted away from Winnipeg?

Thanks MAJONES for the realtor info.  It is always good to have this info come from fellow mil mbrs who were satisfied with the service.  The same thing was done for me when I was posted to Borden back in 05 and the recommended realtor was awesome.

Thanks again.

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2011, 20:06:05 »
One more question, if I bought in a place like Niverville or equivalently far away place from Winnipeg, would I have a hard time selling it when time came for me to be posted away from Winnipeg?

I have a friend selling there right now so I will pass your question on to him this evening and see what he says.
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2011, 20:42:51 »
I bought two years ago. At the time, my realtor told me that Wpg doesn't get peaks and valleys in the market.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Scoobs

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2011, 20:50:50 »
I bought two years ago. At the time, my realtor told me that Wpg doesn't get peaks and valleys in the market.

Does this mean that I shouldn't have a problem re-selling the home should I buy outside of Winnipeg?

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2011, 20:59:50 »

Winnipeg yes...outside a bit different and it really depends on the house and the area.  I have friends that are having trouble selling as they are in the country (just north of East St Paul).  My inlaws are holding off selling their house as some of the houses in their area have been on the market for 6+ months although they live an hour and a bit from the city.  Just waiting to hear from a buddy in Niverville that is selling his houseas I  don't know much about the southern part

Winnipeg itself is still a sellers market and has been for quite some time.  I have sold twice since moving here and both were on the market for just over a week and sold on offer day with no conditions and very large deposits.  Good houses here routinely have bidding wars.   
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline just me...

• Rate Post
  • Soldier First
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2011, 09:57:50 »

I had a real estate agent come to my house the other day and ask me if I was selling anytime soon or if I knew anyone selling as he has buyers waiting so I dont think selling will be much of an issue.

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2011, 22:35:37 »
I had a real estate agent come to my house the other day and ask me if I was selling anytime soon or if I knew anyone selling as he has buyers waiting so I dont think selling will be much of an issue.

Just to add some more ammo for the real estate market south of the city from my buddy I received;

The market in most of the small towns around Winnipeg continues to be hot,
Niverville had a slump two years ago but is again a high-demand bedroom town, I’d say he won’t have much problem re-selling,
We’re looking to sell privately due to strong demand in New Bothwell (same distance to the city as Niverville),

Their house is pretty nice and the price for being built in 2005 is excellent so there are some good deals to be had by going south. 
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline Scoobs

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2011, 23:41:11 »
Just to add some more ammo for the real estate market south of the city from my buddy I received;

The market in most of the small towns around Winnipeg continues to be hot,
Niverville had a slump two years ago but is again a high-demand bedroom town, I’d say he won’t have much problem re-selling,
We’re looking to sell privately due to strong demand in New Bothwell (same distance to the city as Niverville),

Their house is pretty nice and the price for being built in 2005 is excellent so there are some good deals to be had by going south.

I really appreciate the info everyone is giving me.  I have checked out a lot of different websites besides mls.ca and there are some nice houses south of Winnipeg.  I saw a really nice home in New Bothwell that has a lot of land and even a swimming pool!  I have noticed that mls.ca is not necessarily the "preferred" choice where to sell homes.  I see that your friend is thinking about selling privately.  Is there a reason why people do this rather than use a realtor, especially if they are being posted?  I can see why this would be better to do if someone wasn't being posted and thus the person would have to pay all the realtor/lawyer fees (I had to do this during this current posting due to a "crazy" neighbour situation).