Author Topic: What not to do - No excuse BMQ tips [Merged]  (Read 655669 times)

Offline NavComm

• Rate Post
Re: What not to do - No excuse BMQ tips [Merged]
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2005, 18:12:30 »
I agree with just do as your told rule. On my bmq (June05) smokers would not have been allowed to chew nicorette gum, because chewing gum in uniform is not allowed. Consider brining patches.

Also, bringing two pairs of running shoes is a great idea, and I agree with Allan's comments on why you should have two pairs...I suppose you could put one pair with your civvie outfit in the locker and just keep your real civvie shoes in civvie lockup until you get leave?

Offline atticus

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2005, 20:07:26 »
quick note, im on BMQ right now. Don't bring two pairs of shoes, you don't have the room.
Also smokers aren't allowed to smoke until the end of the day in most platoons here. others you can at lunch or a short break, but not most.
"Canada being mad at you is like Mr. Rodgers throwing a brick through your window." - John Stewart

Offline Sigs Guy

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2005, 03:23:11 »
I just finished my BMQ, and personally the best advice I'd give is always follow what the instructors say no matter what. Always pay close attention to detail, during my BMQ I screwed up on this a few times and this resulted in close to 6 counsellings. Always give it a 110%, don't get too stressed out, especially during the first few weeks, it may seem like BMQ is impossible but once you get into the swing of things it'll get a little bit easier. Whenever you are leaving for Farnham, or have a timing double check that you have eall the kit you need. With inspections have the whole section help each other out to double check to make sure everything was done properly. I remember the week after Farnham I thought I had properly cleaned my kit and didn't bother to double check and got reemed out for it as well as a counselling.

Remember basic is also a learning process, during which I found out were my strengths are, and were I have to improve.

When the instructors are yelling at you, don't take it personally, more then likely they are only trying to help you out. At the end of the course your instructors will get together with you and tell you good luck on your next training phase.

Most importantly always have a sense of humor, if you have a bad day laugh it off and remember tommorrow is a new day. Don't let life get you down.

"I submit to you that if a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. "
"Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?' "

Martin Luther King Jr

Offline Allan Luomala

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2005, 10:14:05 »
Good advice for all future recruits, Futuretrooper. There IS a method to the madness, even though some huggy-kissy leaning social scientist types might not understand that. It has worked, in more or less the same fashion for thousands of years (creating fighting soldiers), so as long as the potential soldier realizes that they are joining the military, and conform to the system, rather than expecting the system to conform to their wants and desires, they will make out OK.

Al

Offline Mojo Magnum

• Mojo Magnum
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2005, 06:50:30 »
I have just graduated from BMQ.  Wednesday of this week the school commander spoke with the graduates.   I was shocked when the first thing he said was......how many of you have been on army.ca since you started the course.   About ten hands went up.   He cautioned us against posting answers to exam questions but mentioned that most of the feedback was positive.

I was challenged by my time at the Mega.  Not so much by the course content but by not knowing what was coming next and wondering just how far the whole thing was gonna go.    Worry was the hardest part.   Now that it's over, I look back and think, "hey, that wasn't so tuff."

now it's on to SQ, I suspect it will be a more challenging experience.
we'll see.
Hazaa!

Offline scottypara

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2005, 19:55:48 »
There's no really good tips... If you go in with good physical fitness and the right mentally it's pretty simple.

For me I'm going week 8, with no PO's and 0 counsulings... just be the quiet guy and do what you are asked to do.

Just can't wait for battle school.

Offline atticus

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2005, 12:13:48 »
For me I'm going week 8, with no PO's and 0 counsulings... just be the quiet guy and do what you are asked to do.

With some instructors it is impossible to get through with out a single counseling. In my platoon there were crazy counsellings given out for things like spelling a name wrong or having your boots not laced the exact way their sapposed to be and having a fourty degree angle on your bed instead of a 45. Not that these were any of mine, I got through with one counselling, for haveing dirt on the sole of my boot.
"Canada being mad at you is like Mr. Rodgers throwing a brick through your window." - John Stewart

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2005, 12:49:47 »
Quote from Mojo Magnum,
He cautioned us against posting answers to exam questions but mentioned that most of the feedback was positive

Anyone reading this from the Mega can be assured that those answers and the poster would quickly be "deleted/slashed/banned/quartered/etc......." ;)
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Life is cruel, and I am but a small slice of life
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2005, 12:55:44 »
whats this counseling.Must be the new army.

Counselling...Isn't that were you lie on a couch, talking to some guy with glasses and a beard, and tell him where you feel really uncomfortable, and he tells you that you're normal and nothings wrong with you, and that everyone loves you?

Whatever happened to marking time, pushups, rifle PT, leg raises, and other forms of "positive reinforcement".

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline atticus

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2005, 19:30:17 »
Whatever happened to marking time, pushups, rifle PT, leg raises, and other forms of "positive reinforcement".

That still happens, though that depends on your instuctors. Mine gave that plus a counciling to certain people (depending what it was). Usually you get a counsilling for forgeting something or having unsecure kit, but sometimes they go overboard. Seven counsilings and your recoursed or get released. All they did for me was make me paranoid.

Offline Allan Luomala

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2005, 07:47:38 »
"Counselling" is usually just discussing the student's shortcomings in a given area, with possible solutions to improve, and an outcome if the shortcomings aren't resolved: "Pte Bloggins, your weapon is dirty. You have been shown how to clean it in class, and if you need assistance ask a fellow soldier or a DS. If you do not make an improvement in the level of cleanliness, you will be placed on Verbal/Written/Final Warning. Do you understand?"

The Red Chit system is still in effect (in most training centres as far as I know), but not to the ridculous level where it had been in the past. It had turned into a joke, and had lost all effectiveness. The "chit" is just another tool in the belt of the instructors to record where a student needs to improve, and if there is no improvement, it is a record of that failing, and the paperwork can begin to remove them from the system. The way it had been abused in the past, people didn't "fear" the chits, and in fact wore them like a badge of honour. In other words, they were a hollow threat. If used effectively, they can help a student see where they need to improve, and as well, can assist the course staff in seeing where student's need help. An example of this would be where the majority of the soldiers in a section get chitted for not cleaning their weapons properly. The DS could put 2 and 2 together and realize that that section was probably never taught how to properly clean weapons, and require remedial training.

Al

Offline Flower

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2005, 02:32:42 »
NavComm mentioned something about chewing gum not being allowed in the military.
IMO if it comes in ur IMP eat it... ok.... Maybe not the honey.. Or the potatoes.. Everything else is good though even the gum..

Offline FourNinerZero

• The Warriors Code
  • Rate Post
  • I am what I am- a MO dude with a kit addiction.
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2005, 02:48:31 »
Here is some of my basic tips...more to keep you sane than on how to make your inspection go easier...besides most of thoes have alerady been covered. here goes, FourNinerZeros tips for BMQ.

dont be stupid
use common sense( this is in conjunction with # 1   )
your weapon is never clean enough  
meet timings
dont piss of the warrent
avoid fuckups  
never give up a chance to relax  
dont be uber serious  
have a sense of humor the darker the better  
 have a few buddies. be good to them
gomer pyle does exist. be nice to him. he gets a weapon too.  
no eyeballin'  
dont purposly frig with the master bombadier's inspection  
sleep as long as you can     
learn to shower fast
a night out involving large amounts of booze will do you wonders
yelling is part of life now. get used to it.
dont buy gucci stuff with no purpose. get gucci kit to make life easier.
dont be stupid.it needs to be said twice  
Looks are everything.always make it look like your doing something important.
We are the sheepdogs, bad people looking out for good people by killing worse people. - me

Forever I'll find you, Forever we'll be, Forever your power your strength stays with me- DKM Forever.

Offline Sigs Guy

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2005, 15:35:57 »
"Counselling" is usually just discussing the student's shortcomings in a given area, with possible solutions to improve, and an outcome if the shortcomings aren't resolved: "Pte Bloggins, your weapon is dirty. You have been shown how to clean it in class, and if you need assistance ask a fellow soldier or a DS. If you do not make an improvement in the level of cleanliness, you will be placed on Verbal/Written/Final Warning. Do you understand?"

That wasn't what counselling were for during my BMQ. Most likely a recruit would get a counselling for having insecure kit, not shaving, failing to go through the chain of command, etc. I got a counselling once for not having my weapon cleaned up to standard even though I ran out of cleaning supplies, and was never given any of the options above, only a counselling. As well a counselling can get you recoursed, the limit for my course was seven counsellings.
"I submit to you that if a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. "
"Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?' "

Martin Luther King Jr

Offline Hoover

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2005, 15:46:00 »
7 got you a warrant's inspection on my course.
Born on cloud nine, living the dream.

Offline RowdyBowdy

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2005, 15:47:26 »
When I went through last year they called it "directives". 7 directives and you were recoursed.
Adherence to the Prescribed Procedures is MANDATORY.

Offline SoF

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2005, 16:06:17 »
gomer pyle does exist. be nice to him. he gets a weapon too.   

Lol gomer pyle. How does that work. Is gomer the first person to F up or do they just pick them if they don't like the way they look.
Arnold is numero uno

Offline Mojo Magnum

• Mojo Magnum
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2005, 21:02:47 »
Gomer is the nutbar who never should have been allowed near a weapon, let alone live ammo.  We had two.  One shot at the wrong target (more than once), shot down range when there was no target to shoot at and then decided it would be a good idea to argue with the weapons instructors about the whole affair.

and somehow, he graduated right beside the rest of us......
gomer lives to strike another day.
Hazaa!

Offline FourNinerZero

• The Warriors Code
  • Rate Post
  • I am what I am- a MO dude with a kit addiction.
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2005, 21:30:07 »
Lol gomer pyle. How does that work. Is gomer the first person to F up or do they just pick them if they don't like the way they look.

Gomer is the guy who perpetually makes stupid mistakes, is inept and incompetent, and should never be allowed near sharp or dangerous objects...ie pencils, dummy ammo, possibly even the plastic coating on the ends of shoelaces, let alone Weapons or explosives.
We are the sheepdogs, bad people looking out for good people by killing worse people. - me

Forever I'll find you, Forever we'll be, Forever your power your strength stays with me- DKM Forever.

Offline SemperFidelis

• Is that you John Wayne...Is this me??
  • Rate Post
  • Only Time Will Tell If It Was Time Well Spent
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2005, 15:55:58 »
You're allowed to chew gum in the field.  You get gum in your breakfast IMPs. Personal suggestions as far as IMPs go...the Hashbrown & sausage is good :evil:
:threat: :skull: :threat:

We are all casualties of time

Offline Hoover

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2005, 01:00:18 »
Go for the salsa omlette.

Also, tossing 10 ham steak with mustard sauce IMPs into the pressure cooker at 0500 will make you a real hit within your tent, especially when your buddies have been up for more than 24 hours and  know they probably have 24 more hours to go.
Born on cloud nine, living the dream.

Offline Allan Luomala

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2005, 19:02:33 »
The Hashbrown and Sausage were good, Lasagna, Ravioli and .....the Turkey Vegetables...apart from that, I cant really say much for the IMPs...pretty shitty, but i hear they have different ones for different years...so thats a relief!

I don't want to be one of "those" and tell you about "back when I was a young guy....", but if you are going to complain abour our field rations, I would first suggest you look at the competition (US Army, French, Dutch, Germans, etc) before you complain. Based on what I have seen, ours are FAR superior to the standard rations issued to any NATO military. There might be specialized rations that are better, but on the whole, no comparison. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this one...... Yes, the French get wine, but that is to make up for the lack of quality/quanity of the rest....

If you are a very picky eater, you are pretty much screwed, but that is too bad, so sad. These things have been chosen specially for their nutrional content, longevity (shelf life), feedback from years gone by, etc. Saying they are shitty is like saying McDonalds is shitty, Boston Pizza is shitty, etc. Give specific examples of what is so shitty about them (worms in bread, big chunks of fat in desert, moldy, etc).

The alternative is not eating when you are in the field, and let's see how you make out then (If you don't eat, you don't crap. If you don't crap, you die....).

Al

Offline Mojo Magnum

• Mojo Magnum
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2006, 08:07:31 »
I'll take hey boxes over IMP's anyday of the week.

Hazaa!

Offline paracowboy

• I keep sayin' it...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Make The Voices Stop!
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2006, 19:58:26 »
I’m starting this thread for ALL the Recruits here. This is going to be where all the Veterans, and Active Service Members can come to give advice on little things that you should think about. It’s geared towards troops once they’ve completed their Training, and are FNGs in Battalion. Little life lessons, as well as tips on how to do their job better.
I’ll start with a couple that I've learned from my time in.

1. Never buy a car from a used car lot within a 10 mile radius of your base, or if the lot has a sign that says bring in your Pay Statement. Stay away from them.

2. Open up an account with the credit union on base and set up an allotment for $100 every paycheque to go into that account and DO NOT TOUCH IT FOR ANY REASON until you are out of the service. Or, even better, put it into an RRSP.

3. For any and all debt that you may acquire while in the service, i.e. car payment, car insurance, rent if you live off-base and credit cards. Set up and allotment through your Clerk so that you ARE never late on your payments.

4. Every cab driver will tell you that they are a retired sgt. Be careful to pay attention that they are charging you correctly, no matter how drunk you are.

5. If you are pulled over by an MP and you notice that you out rank them, remember that you DON'T out rank them.

6. NEVER date a troop!

7. Wear eye protection. Wear your hearing protection.

8. Drink water. A lot. (Except right before a jump.)

9. Don't become a Kitslut. Just because it’s green/CADPAT/shiny, doesn’t make it a good piece of kit, and doesn’t make you look hard. It makes you look like a fool who can’t tell the difference.

10. When going to the field bring a little extra, you never know what’s gonna happen from one day to the next. If you think you have enough socks, you don't. Snivel kit: You can never have enough. Power bars: You may not have time to sit and eat an IMP. Batteries: Everything we have runs on AA batteries, and the CQ can never get enough. Hot sauce: Because IMPs can plug you up, and hot sauce both counter-acts that, and tastes better.

11. Always be flexible. O Groups, training meetings and other random meetings happen just before lunch or time to go home. Something out of the blue will come up and you’re not going home when you thought you where. Adapt.

12. Never pass up a shot at Basic Para Course, or you may never get it, or get it 6 years later, when you already have a few nagging injuries.

13. Never be afraid to ask questions, stupid or otherwise.

14. Save copies of every set of orders and every PER you receive, you might need them
twenty years later.

15. Make copies of your UER and medical records. Every piece of paper that is generated with your name and service number, keep a copy somewhere safe. Trust me.

16. Never lose your needle book.

17. Remember that tobacco runs out faster that you think it will when you are in the field. Better yet: quit!

18. Forget toilet paper, baby wipes pack smaller, and clean everything.

19. There are 3 people you must make friends with:
   1. The Coy Medic
   2. The Coy Clerk
   3. The Cook

20. Don't be First. Don't be Last.

21. Always have a knife, a lighter, a watch, a pad of paper and a pen/pencil when in uniform.

22. Roll everything you pack, it packs smaller than folding.

23. Look out for shack rats, and chicks who want a guaranteed paycheque and subsidized healthcare.

24. There is no such thing as having too much ammo or water.

25. Forget about the GPS. Learn how to use a map and compass.

26. When you are in Basic, and Battle School, save ALL of that money. You don't need to be buying a lot of stuff while you are in Training anyways. Really you only need a little to buy crap like soap...and porn. And you WILL need that cash when you get to your unit.

27. (On a personal note) I don't give a frig how cool you were in high school, so shut up about it when us old, fat guys are telling war stories. You might learn something that will keep you alive later. More importantly, you might learn something that will keep ME alive later.

28. Shut up and do what I tell you. It’s for a reason. I don’t tell you to do crap because I like to watch your *** move.

29. If you are offered a course, no matter what it is, TAKE IT! It’s all paper that says you can LEARN to do something, and many translate into civilian courses that would cost you money to re-do.

30. And most importantly USE YOUR BENEFITS! Learn what they all are, and use them. Especially when getting out. No matter where you think you will be in 5 years, you will need that money for school, or re-training, when you get out.

31. Commissioned From The Ranks Officers will resort to wall-to-wall counselling as quick as a grizzled NCO. Don't frig with them.

32. Remember: That broken-down, chubby old man with the Sgt stripes, or WO crown has been doing this for a lot longer than you. He’s still doing the things that are knocking the snot out of you, and he’s twice your age. He was once a young, cocky private too, and he’s learned a lot since then. You CANNOT kick his ***. He WILL hurt you. Badly. Stop thinking you’ll kick his *** someday. You won’t. You will thank him later, though. Even if only in your memories.

33. Know when to violate the "never volunteer rule." If there are multiple tasks to get handed out, always volunteer for the first one. Chances are good that the later options suck a lot more.

34. Master Corporal is the hardest job in the Army. He’s being a dick because he has to. Do what he tells you, and stop bitching about it. He used to be you.

35. There is a fine line between "thief" and Platoon Scrounge. Taking from the Army (or better, the Air Force) to help the troops out is good. Taking from a troop, for any reason is theft, and you deserve to be beaten severely. And often.

36. Learn how to turn a wrench well. Take care of every vehicle you get assigned to you. DO NOT PISS OFF THE MECHANICS.

37. Learn every job in the Platoon. Hump the C9. Hump the C6. Hump the Radio. Your job is to learn your bosses job. If, after a year, you can't be a section 2IC if necessary, you are a lazy shitbird.

38. Learn the difference between "wants and needs."

39. Only pay cash for major items. Get a credit card. Put a little on it, then pay it off promptly. Build a credit rating. You WILL need it later. But, do NOT put everything on plastic. You end up breaking yourself to pay off the interest rate.

40. Strippers are not your friend. They are paid to pretend to be interested in you. You are an open wallet, not a sex object. Actually, you kind of disgust them. Sucker.

41. The best place to meet hot, brainy chicks is the public library, the local college library, or church. You will not meet your life-mate in a meat-market with a neon sign above it.

42. NEVER GO INTO DEBT UNLESS YOU’RE LITERALLY SAVING SOMEONE’S LIFE TO DO IT.

43. If you finance a car then make sure it is paid off before you Release.

44. When you Release, look into ALL of your options, INCLUDING the Reserves.

45. Reenlist for the right reasons, not because you have bills to pay. The reasons you chose to Release did not go away, and you will become a drain on your fellow troop’s morale.

46. Go Airborne, stay Airborne! It’s a mind-set, not a hat. Keep the attitude, even when you lose the Beret.

47. Marrying a chick with debt is okay. Marrying a chick that makes you go into debt further every month is STUPID! Staying with her because she gives you steady sex is even stupider.

48. Don't EVER poke your Warrant awake in the field, in the middle of the night while you’re on stove/radio watch. If he needs to be disturbed, wake him with that nice cup of coffee that you just made for yourself. Trust me.

49. The new 2Lt. is not your buddy. I don't care if he likes the same comic books, video games, and likes to hang out. He doesn't need to know anything that your WO, Sect Comd, or Sect 2IC haven't already told him.  He will someday have to order you into a very dangerous situation. Don’t make it harder for him to choose. The hesitation could get you both killed.

50. Being second or third on a course is cool too. Don't be in the lower 2/3rds. Someone has to be, just don’t let it be you.

51. You ever call your Sect Comd "Sarge" expect a beat down. You deserve it. He is a Sergeant. “Sarge” is that clown in the Beetle Bailey comic strip.

52. Shine your damn boots. Blackening is for PONTIs. Soldiers have shiny boots.

53. If your dick is running, or hurt's when you piss, DON’T wait 3 months to tell a doc about it! Better a little embarrassment now, than having it amputated later. And tell your medic first. DO NOT TELL THE WO first. They might be able to help you out and make it go away.

Anyone (BTDT‘s only) have anything to add?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 22:51:51 by kratz »
...time to cull the herd.

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2006, 20:10:44 »
Nice thread Para...where were you 15 years ago (especially for all of that great money advice)?  LOL

54. If you screw up, admit it.  Everyone makes a mistake at some point.  But learn from it and don't make the same mistake twice.  And if you're questioned about your mistake, or why you did or didn't do something, Keep It Simple Stupid (learn this, it's the KISS rule).  We don't want to hear a story or long-winded explanation.  "Yes PO (insert appropriate rank here), won't happen again PO" and carry on!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 20:13:16 by navymich »
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea