Author Topic: CH-148 Cyclone Progress  (Read 704668 times)

Online Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Re: CH-148 Cyclone Progress
« Reply #1075 on: August 17, 2020, 21:39:17 »
I note the RN flies two main types of helicopter (Actually 4 if you count the two types of Merlin's and Wildcats) With the addition of the AOP's into the fleet, does it start to make sense to have a smaller helicopter to accompany them, which would like lessen footprint, fuel consumption and maintenance? 

Offline dapaterson

Halfway to being an idiot-savant.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1076 on: August 17, 2020, 21:55:39 »
No.

RCAF can't sustain aircrew now; adding a platform to support a ship class which is, at best, a make-work "learn to make warships" project for ISS would be throwing good money after bad.
Putting the *** in acerbic.

Online Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #1077 on: August 17, 2020, 22:07:31 »
The AOP's are going to end up being more useful than you giving them credit for. For initial ice operations, the DND could hire TC helicopters and crews to provide ice reconnaissance and personal transport and light cargo moves. In fact you can supplement our existing helo's with contracted helicopters and crews, similar to how the RFA and USN do. With the down turn in the resource economy and small commercial drones eating away at the bread and butter jobs for helicopter companies, I suspect that DND pilots might not want to be in to much of a hurry to leave.

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1078 on: August 17, 2020, 23:23:09 »
Colin, maybe not now (it has slowed down but not stopped) but as soon as the economy picks back up, they will leave again.  Decisions today should be made with that in mind.

Online Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #1079 on: August 17, 2020, 23:47:31 »
Now that commercial drones carry stuff like LIADAR and other instruments, it's really eating into the work that helicopter companies used to stay alive and that's going to get worse for the smaller helicopter companies. I will say to rotary wing pilots, is don't count on a long term civy career as the supply of pilots is going to be greater than the jobs available in the next decade.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #1080 on: August 18, 2020, 07:45:39 »
Never heard it referred to as LIADAR before (assuming you're talking about Light Detection and Ranging...lasers).  But, yes, it's a neat bit of tech.

Re: a 2nd, smaller fleet for use on AOPs, etc...similar to how the RCAF will use the Aurora as a MMA (multi-mission aircraft), I suspect the Cyclone MH will be used as a "MMH".

Offline dapaterson

Halfway to being an idiot-savant.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1081 on: August 18, 2020, 07:54:14 »
The AOP's are going to end up being more useful than you giving them credit for.

I hope you are right; my fear is that we're paying Irving prices to get Irving quality.
Putting the *** in acerbic.

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #1082 on: August 18, 2020, 09:42:49 »
I hope you are right; my fear is that we're paying Irving PRICES to get Irving 'quality.'

Slight modification for emphasis...
Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Online Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #1083 on: August 18, 2020, 12:39:22 »
Never heard it referred to as LIADAR before (assuming you're talking about Light Detection and Ranging...lasers).  But, yes, it's a neat bit of tech.

Re: a 2nd, smaller fleet for use on AOPs, etc...similar to how the RCAF will use the Aurora as a MMA (multi-mission aircraft), I suspect the Cyclone MH will be used as a "MMH".

Oops, I meant LIDAR was tired